• Published 21st Aug 2013
  • 19,216 Views, 168 Comments

Solar Child - Bakmah Genesis



Twenty years before the Elements of harmony, before Nightmare Moon's Return, Celestia started a whole new slew of problems and headaches for herself and the ones around her. Thankfully Cadence doesn't mind foalsitting.

  • ...
101
 168
 19,216

Chapter Three

Solar Child

Chapter Three

Written by Bakmah Genesis

Edited by BubbleBoom

Day Court. It was a held during the weekdays from seven in the morning till five in the afternoon. It gave citizens, nobles, and ambassadors the chance to talk to the Princess of the Sun and raise their concerns and demands. A process held for over a thousand years.

Prince Blueblood the Fourth had taken the floor. The moment he arrived in the room, Celestia knew she was in for three hours of the pampered and narcissistic prince talking about his equally spoiled son. The Infamous Bachelor was able to create a foal three years ago in his mid fifties. Of course, this lead to him bragging about how his son was more regal than her young highness. Celestia at least had the dignity to not name her child after herself.

As the prince went into another story about his son, Quill interrupted the tale with a slight cough. “Yes, well, as much as I want to listen to another story about your highness’ nephew, we need to move on with the Day Court or we will be behind on our schedule… again.” The pampered blue unicorn huffed, turning around and leaving the throne room. There was a collective sigh of relief as he disappeared behind the door.

“I swear, that poor colt is pampered to death by his father and will end up no better than him.” said Quill as she began to shuffle through her lists once again, trying to remember where they left off.

“No better than the last three generations and all those before him. The Blueblood line has been cursed for centuries.” Celestia rubbed her temples. Looking up at the sun, she could see that only an hour was left before she had to close the Day Court for the night. “Pray tell, who is next, dear Quill?”

“Nothing to be done with the time we have left.” said the mare, looking at the mass of paper that surrounded her. “I think we will be forced to close up early tonight. Everything is large negotiations over land, building permits. Everything that will take a good two to three hours, and we already went over on our hours this week.” Quill set down the papers, letting out an exhausted sigh. “I think you should consider banning your nephew from entering the throne room during court hours.”

“Trust me, I’m tempted.” Celestia sighed as she stood up from her throne. “Fine then. Close down the court, and alert the ponies who still need to speak to me that they will need to wait till tomorrow. We will provide them housing in our guest rooms for the night.”

“Are we going to open early?” asked Quill, attempting to fit all of the papers around her into saddlebags.

“No. We will open normally.” Celestia walked towards the door in the side of the throne room, opting to take the alternate path back towards the living quarters of the castle. After a long day, she just wanted to relax before she had to raise the moon.

The passageway took her back into her bedroom. The moment she opened the door, a small, purple blur attached itself to her foreleg, Cadence giggling from her spot on the bed. “I think she missed you, Auntie.”

“Did she now?” asked Celestia, picking up the filly and lifting her up to eye level. Twilight giggled, her deep purple eyes sparkling as they stared back at her mother. “I see now. I think I have the perfect solution for that.” Celestia grinned before leaning into the filly’s belly, the young alicorn bursting into a fit of giggles while she was assaulted by a wave of raspberries.

“M-mommie! S-stop! I give up!” squeaked the filly, flailing in her mother’s magical grasp. Celestia ended her assault, smirking as she levitated her onto the bed. “Oh, so has the little she-devil given up?”

Twilight shook her head, launching herself from the bed. She let out a high pitched war cry, her wings fluttering. Before she knew it, a pair of small hooves began their tickle assault on her belly, causing her to burst into a fit of giggles. Celestia let out a grunt, falling to the ground.

“I-I surrender! I surrender!” gasped Celestia between fits of giggles. Twilight sat up with a victorious grin. “You darn she-devil, you will pay for this.” Celestia chuckled as she picked up the filly, nuzzling her affectionately. “Did you give Cadence any trouble while I was gone?”

“No?” said the filly innocently, pawing the ground. Celestia raised an eyebrow, looking over at her niece.

“She decided to taste test some of the cakes down in the kitchen. If you call eating the entire thing taste testing.” The two princesses giggled as the young filly huffed in defiance.

“She takes after her mother in that respect.” said Quill as she entered the room. She smiled, leaning down to Twilight. “Well hello there, your highness. Is the royal princess ready for her bath?”

“But Miss Quill, I don’t want to take a bath. It messes up my wings.” said the filly with a pout.

“Then maybe big sister Cadence will teach you how to preen when you get done.” said Cadence with a grin. Twilight eyed the alicorn carefully, still pouting as she thought about the prospect of being taught by her older sibling.

“Do I get cake?” asked Twilight.

Cadence hummed thoughtfully. “My special homemade cookies. Final offer.”

The filly brightened up, grinning as her wings buzzed rapidly behind her. “Deal!”

“Good, now let Quill wash you up, alright?” The filly sighed as she accepted her doom, following the older mare into the bathroom. Once the two disappeared behind the door, Celestia let out a soft chuckle.

“You know, six years ago I was not expecting any of this.” said the sun goddess, lying in the bed next to Cadence.

The pink alicorn raised an eyebrow.“What do you mean? Having Twilight?”

Celestia shook her head. She let out a sigh, rolling her back. She stared at the ceiling above her. The paintings on her ceiling were updated yearly, displaying major events that have happened over the years. Shortly after her birth, both Twilights were added to the mural.

“After the speech, I had the nagging feeling that something bad was going to happen to Twilight. Remember for the first year she would never leave my sight? I would bathe her, everything. I was terrified that something would happen. I still am.” Celestia sighed. “Anyways, where is Aurora?”

“One of the maids took her into her room to get bathed.” Cadence sighed. “You do know that ponies are afraid of her, right? Ever since her abilities started to show.”

“You would too if you didn’t know who she was, how she acted.” Celestia stared off into the distance. “But she is more scared than they are. She knows she is different, she knows other ponies can’t do what she does, and she doesn’t fully know how to control it. It’s how Luna and I felt for years. We could control the sun and moon, we had wings and a horn, we were different, and we were well aware of it.”

“Auntie, I think we should at least help her with this. Shouldering the sun and moon didn’t mean that slipping up would kill ponies instantly.” Celestia winced. It was true, the consequences of her mistreating her abilities were not as great as her daughter’s.

“I’ll go talk to her. You just keep your promise to Twilley and possibly get a headstart on those cookies.” The goddess chuckled as she stood, making her way towards Aurora’s room. She tried to figure out a way to approach the upcoming conversation.

Before she had time, Celestia found herself standing outside her youngest daughter's room. She stared at the pink door, she let out a loud sigh as she opened the door into her daughter's bedroom.

A pink filly with a pale mane sat on the edge of her bed, a bored expression on her face as one of the maids brushed her hair. She was smaller than her older sister but seemed oddly calmer.

Her ears perked as she heard the door open. The filly grinned as she prepared to hop off the bed but was quickly held by blue aura as the maid finished up her mane. "Not yet, Lady Aurora. You can play with the princess once your mane is done."

The filly gave her a big pout, crossing her hooves as she waited for the maid to finish. Finally, the magic aura disappeared. The little filly grinned as she leaped from the bed, attaching herself to her mother's legs. The older alicorn chuckled.

"Have you been behaving, my dear child?" asked Celestial, nuzzling the filly. Aurora giggled. Glancing over to the maid, Celestia noticed the young mare let out a sigh.

“We caught her trying to prank the guards. She also tried to skip out on her…’lessons’ today.” Celestia frowned as she looked down at her daughter. Aurora grinned up at her sheepishly.

“You may leave us now. I have something I need to speak to my daughter about privately.” The maid nodded politely before leaving the two alone. Celestia sighed as she sat herself on the bed. Aurora sat down in front of her, scruffing her hooves on the floor as she avoided eye contact.

After a few minutes, Celestia took a deep breath before looking down at the filly. “Aurora Solar, do you know why I ask of you to attend your classes? Do you understand the importance?”

“Because I’m a freak, and you need to control me.” said Aurora with a scowl. Celestia blinked.

“Who told you that?” asked the alicorn softly. She knew that word had gotten around of Aurora’s abilities, the staff had to take an oath to not disclose the full details with the outside world, but she did not know that there had been a negative effect this early.

“The guards and maids talk about it all the time. I’m a freak and everyone is scared of me.”

“No. You are like your mother.” said Celestia, causing Aurora to look up in confusion. “When Luna and I got our abilities, when we became alicorns, we were feared. Ponies did not know how to react when they saw us. We were neither earth pony, unicorn, nor pegasi. We could move the celestial bodies that controlled the night and day. We were the most powerful beings in existence, and nopony knew how to react.

“Same goes for you.” said Celestia with a nod. “You, Aurora, are the embodiment of death. The end of our journey. You are here to enforce that end. But, you also can stop it. You are now in the position that myself and my sister were in thousands of years ago. You need to learn to control it, to master it so you can better use this power to help ponies.”

“But I don’t want to learn to use my power. I just want to be normal.” Aurora stamped her hoof. “I want to be like my sister! She doesn’t have to worry about anything! She just plays with Cadence all day!”

The filly yelped as she found herself covered in a golden aura. She was lifted and brought close to her mother. Celestia wrapped her hooves around the filly protectively, shielding her from the horrors of the world.

“Quiet, my dear. It will be fine, I promise. There is no need for you to worry.”

Author's Note:

Just a heads up for those wondering, BubbleBoom, a friend of mine's wife, edited this chapter in the absence of my usual editor, so huge thanks for her taking time out of her crazy life to give me a hand with my shit writing.

Comments ( 31 )

your writing is not shit

*shitty

also you writing is far from that, I AM a shitty writer (english isn't my mother language after all), you sir, are a bloody genius, right, you do rewrites, but still an awersome job

6604731

Ditto.

BTW I noticed the likes have hit 666 :rainbowderp:

6604944 i notice that too

That was fun, may I have another? Looking forward to more.
Keep up the good work. Deus tecum.

Alicorn of Death, that's harsh.

This will definitely make a difference to 'Burden of the Crown'. So, the Bluebloods are cursed to be insufferable, pompous, snobbish jerks? And no one thought to find out how to break it?

An update? For a moment I thought the browser was acting up as I had resigned this story to The Fanfiction graveyard. Though I'm a bit confused. I remember the original story before the rewrite and that was clearly about "Purple Smart", but this Aurora has already been given more interesting qualities than Twlight. So, in writer talk you are telling me, " This character is interesting and I should be involved in her." So is the story about her?

The thing about OCs is we are left with the question, "Why should I care?" I felt like you should have given her a bit more focus so we could at least walk away with a bit more of an understanding of why she's here. As she stands, she comes off to me as envious little sister turns self-made antagonist when she grows up. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the work. I do like it, but you have so much too work with and I really think you can make something amazing here that it seems to be a shame that the work is so short and limited.

I need to see these two sisters interact. Depending on how you play their relationship as negative or positive can change the whole mood of the story. Hell, this can easily become a political thriller. Hell, you even have a BlueBlood who is close to their age. Since you already mentioned him you might as well use him. He's their cousin and his presence can add a different level of development to the story. Their are literally hundreds of awesome ways this story can play out and I'm very interested in seeing the route you choose.

“Then maybe big sister Cadence will teach you how to preen when you get done.” said Cadence with a grin. Twilight eyed the alicorn carefully, still pouting as she thought about the prospect of being taught by her older sibling.
“Do I get cake?” asked Twilight.

D'awwwww! :raritystarry:
... please wait a minute as the reader recovers from cuteness overload...
:pinkiecrazy:

You, Aurora, are the embodiment of death. The end of our journey. You are here to enforce that end. But, you also can stop it.

:applejackconfused: Okay... practically her first appearance and she's already skirting Mary Sue territory... I hope you know what you are doing...

Twilight has no problems to worry about? Oh, aurora, if only you knew.



Also, it might be s comforting thing for twilight, but calling Cadance her big sister is a bit confusing, isn't it?

6610282
Knew what? Twilight is just a cute filly who is so innocent.

The Anti-Celestia movement as not attacked yet. That will be the upcoming chapters.

6612597 i am referring to the things twilight will have to deal with when she's older: Nightmare Moon, Discord, Sombra, Tirek, Starlight Glimmer, and those are just the major problems she'll be facing, not even counting the day to day problems we all know twilight went through throughout the last five seasons, plus two of the movies

6612818

Then you have to realize that while Twilight has more problems over time, so does Aurora. Neither of them are safe from it, as it is the basic way of life.

This took quite a turn from the other rewrites if I remember right. Still it makes Death cuter having a name like Aurora.

6607170

One day Aurora is going to have had enough, and no more bluebloods.

6607257

Okay... practically her first appearance and she's already skirting Mary Sue territory... I hope you know what you are doing...

No she's not, there is a difference between overpowered and Mary Sue; A Mary Sue is a Character who is pretty much perfect, they have no character flaws, and we've already seen a hint of jealousy in Aurora. Now Aurora could end up being overpowered, but we'll have to wait and see about that.

6622362 Good point.
So correcting my earlier statement, practically her first appearance and she is already possibly extremely OP.
Better? :pinkiehappy:

6622371 That is a distinct possibility, yes; but seeing as this is a re-wright I'm guessing that the author won't take it in that direction.

Well...that was unexpected!

I am a fan of the story and want updates, when possible...if that alight with you

Update? :fluttercry:

This is incomplete, there's ~55k words worth of sequels, and sequels description is written as thought this one is finished. Sorry, what?

7602100
There is a footnote under the description, after the Editor call-out, that says it is being rewritten. And centered under the description is the original, complete 26 chapters written when it was completed back in 2013. (Has it really been 3 years?) The sequels were written in order, and the final was put into Hiatus around the same time that this went into reconstruction. It has had a slow heart-beat due to frequent writers block, off and on loss in interest on my end, and overall frustration. I may one finish this, and possibly soon since I have more free time (kinda) since I am taking a year off before I start on College. The best you can do is track it and watch for that email to pop into your feed.

may I ask why have you canceled solar child?

8854293
Haven't really had the drive to continue the rewrite. The original is in the description and is finished

You know, if this is going to remain cancelled, maybe you should just change it back to the original story.

The google drive isn’t public. Does anybody have a copy of the original?

can you please continue the story.

Login or register to comment