• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 15,600 Views, 800 Comments

Apples and Wheat - TheAlmightySage



The Apple Family decides to plant wheat this year and end up with a surprise house guest.

  • ...
28
 800
 15,600

Interlude III: Fancy Mathematics

Author's Note:

Another silly drabble to tide you guys over while I try to write the rest of the next chapter.
As usual for an interlude this is raw and unedited.
Man, that sounded wrong...

- Fancy Mathematics -

Despite his reticent nature and preference for the simple things in life, Big Macintosh was indeed the brains behind the more complex managerial operations of Sweet Apple Acres. As such, he could be often found sitting at the desk in the den quietly going over the farm's prospective income and costs in his ledger. Today was no different.

Hmm, if we harvest at least a fifteen bushels of wheat, then sell the flour at ten bits a pound we'll be looking at 6,300 bits before costs and taxes are factored in..., Big Mac thought before he turned to look through the desk's bottom draw for an abacus.

When Big Mac sat up he was nearly startled out of his chair by Holo, who was now leaning over his right side and quietly inspecting the farm's ledger.

"Hmm, farming is never as simple as it seems," the wolfish mare mused before sipping from a large mug of what Big Mac suspected was hard cider.

The farm stallion quickly regained his composure, but remained quiet. Though he did wonder how Holo had slipped into the den so quietly.

"Does Applejack not help with this?" Holo asked as she sat down beside the desk and nodded to the various papers on the desk.

"Nope, she ain't the best at math," Big Mac replied with a shrug before sliding a few beads on the abacus making soft clacking sounds.

"That is surprising, considering how hooves on she is with running the farm," Holo said before sipping again from her mug.

Big Mac just hmm'd in response and resumed checking the ledger.

The two sat in a pleasant silence. With Big Mac recording various profits and comparing them with almost as many costs, while Holo watched with passive interest.

"You forgot to carry the five," Holo commented after several moments, before sipping more of her cider.

Big Mac arched an eyebrow, but did the math again and saw Holo was right.

"Good eye," He said with a nod and corrected his mark.

The quiet fell back over the pair for a fair amount of time, until the wolfish mare heard Applejack calling for her.

"Holo?"

"Here," She answered without taking her eyes off the ledger's pages.

Applejack poked her head inside the den and narrowed her eyes suspiciously before walking in. "You best not be botherin' Big Mac."

"Hardly," Holo said with a roll of her eyes.

Applejack gave a mild glare at the carefree response, but was cut off by her older brother.

"She ain't," Big Mac drawled before he marked down a few numbers in the ledger, "Helped me catch a mistake a minute ago."

"You know math?" Applejack asked looking to the wolfish mare with a touch of surprise.

"I once traveled with a merchant for many pleasant years. I learned much traveling with him," Holo explained with a small reminiscent smile.

Applejack found herself smiling at seeing Holo thinking on a happy memories. At least, she smiled until her brother decided to chime in with his two bits.

"She's better at math than you are," Big Mac said nonchalantly as ever.

Applejack just sputtered at her brother's comment.

"How so?" Holo asked tilting her head.

"AJ, don't get along with negative numbers," Big Mac said with a small grin.

"Ah just don't see how it can be a one and not a one at the same darn time!" Applejack blustered in response.

Big Mac just rolled his eyes at the old argument.

Holo, however, began laughing so hard she fell over onto her side. While Applejack marched out of the room blushing in consternation.

Comments ( 46 )

Third

5876512
You know this is going to happen.

Weeeeeeee!!

5876428 Fifth
Love this story so much. Keep up the fantastic work.

5876428 I claim this spot in the name of Sixthtopia.
It's okay Applejack, I was never no good at math anyways. I'm right there alongside ya.
pinkie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/mlfw3539_small.jpg

This is some nice filling. Normally I don't say that, but this is some nice filling.
dobetter.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/blueberry-pie-slice-2-sm.jpg

IT LIVES AGAIN!!!

645 words is not a drabble!

THIS IS BASED ON ONE OF MY FAVORITE ANIMES. YOU'RE GOING IN MY SPECIAL FAVES JUST FOR THAT AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!:flutterrage:

HOW HAVE I NOT FOUND THIS BEFORE NOW!?!?!?

I'm vaguely weirded out that I was literally just wondering if someone had done a S7W/Pones crossover and look what pops up on the featured box.

5876605
FINALLY! SOMEPONY SEES THE LIGHT!
PRAISE THE EMPRAH!!

5876724
OMNOMNOMNOM

5876873
Is too!

5876889
Psychic powers...

5876966
Gold you say....
i.ytimg.com/vi/66sNL_2ztnw/maxresdefault.jpg

Someone needs to show AJ the concept of the number line. -1 is one, but it's one in the opposite direction from 0.

5877327
Well it went somethin' like this...

Thirty minutes plus an explanatory diagram later:

"Ya see, AJ, the number can be either negative or positive based up on where it sits on this here line.":eeyup: "Make sense?"

:applejackunsure:"Wait, how can a number go backwards?"

"Never mind.":eeyup:

5877302
Seriously tho, I'm craving for pie now.

I can only imagine how the concept of imaginary numbers would go over, then.

24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m67djemvbY1qivn5no1_500.gif
Seriously though, you've managed to capture my interest in a way that nothing else has. I have some ideas for my Displaced fic now....

"I once traveled with a merchant for many pleasant years. I learned much traveling with him," Holo explained with a small reminiscent smile.

You sunnuva bich, y u do dis. :fluttercry:

That was cute. :rainbowlaugh:

5880183
If it involves the Wisewolf send me a pm. I have a few ideas laying around I could share.

I almost feel as though I'm reading the actual Spice and Wolf novels, but with an MLP twist. I anxiously await the next chapter.

5888641
That is the single highest compliment I can hope for.
-bows-
Thank you.

5879174 I am become the square root of -1... :applejackconfused:

5960514
Pinkie Pie just happened.

Well now I wasn't expecting to see this crossover to happen at all, thank Amaturasu I was wrong. Keep up the good work.

*Giggles* Mac you dork, never give out ammo like that so cheap. Hold out for something better.

This deserve more thumb up that I can give so I present to you a special Thumb up

i.giflike.com/3kMVg8m.gif

6155129
I'm presuming there's more nobles than just BB and that the ponies of Canterlot, in general, are a clingy lot. I mean usually they spaz out in some way in the Canon if things involve the Celestia.

When next episode coming?:rainbowhuh:

6229817
No clue. Life is crazy lately. Sorry.

6515260
It's not marked on hiatus, because it's NOT ON HIATUS. Everyday I try to work on this. Everyday. Every. Day. EVERY. FREAKING. DAY. Even if it's just an hour to check over spelling and grammar or just to check the outline I've written. I've got a lot of crazy pulling at my attention last year and this year has been even more of roller coaster.
Yes, it's taking me forever to write this, I am nigh crippling levels of painfully aware of this. I am aware of it to sign a degree I have put off sleep to try and write only to scrap all the words. Yes, it's got me stressed, but damn it I keep going because I am not going to quit on anyone or anything.

Sorry just had to let out. :twilightsheepish:

After reading some of these chapters. .. I get the sudden urge to say "I need an adult" When Holo starts her antics

"I once traveled with a merchant for many pleasant years. I learned much traveling with him," Holo explained with a small reminiscent smile.

Always like this little nudgests reminiscing to the original spice and wolf.
Good work. :twilightsmile:

Applejack and fancy mathematics simply don't mix

Fuck me I found this story! Dude, I fucking love you so much. Spice and Wolf is one of my favourite anime, and I only found it because of this story. You're my fucking hero holy shit.

7176219
Thank you. Hopefully I can resume writing it soon. :ajsleepy:

I finally got myself into reading all the current chapters and all I can say is I applaud you for capturing the essence of Holo's character and the Spice and Wolf series. Well done.

The romantic tones between Hat pony and Wolf pony is a mixed bag for me though but I find it cute nonetheless.

I can't believe its been too long since the current chapter.

I hope I can see future updates in the future. :rainbowwild:

7623601
If I can get out this funk. I'll start writing again. Thank you for your kind words.

7623834 I'd love to see more as well

Ps have you read or seen ah my goddess I'm still waiting for a mlp crossover of this.... Maybe a Urd displaced in Equestria? What could possibly go wrong tenchi muyo would be interesting

Will the story ever be completed?

NOOOOOOO I NEEED MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:raritycry:

Very late question, But I wonder if Myuri will visit?

one of these days yes it will continue

9203306
I think this fic happened long after Lawerence died so I don't know if Myuri is there

Login or register to comment