• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 1,497 Views, 34 Comments

Chrysalis' Revenge - RickyB



Three months after the Royal Wedding, an old evil returns. Can The Mane 6 hope to defeat it again?

  • ...
8
 34
 1,497

5. Rebuilding

CHAPTER FIVE: REBUILDING

Princess Cadence ran towards Celestia’s chambers as fast as her hooves would carry her. With her where a dozen Unicorn royal guards, she didn’t know why Celestia was acting the way she was. She only knew it had to stop and she was going to stop it. Her husband Shining Armor was getting more troops, Cadence could only hope as she raced down the halls of Canterlot Castle that she could hold out.

When she reached the chambers she saw they were totally ruined, holes riddled the walls. She saw her Aunt Celestia, she was on the ground crying, and before her was Twilight Sparkle. She ran to Twilight’s side, she had cuts and scratches all over her, she was unconscious.

“Auntie Tia?” She questioned. “What happened?”

“Do you have royal guard with you?” Celestia asked her voice barley a murmur.

“I do.” Cadence replied.

Celestia stood up; she forced herself to stop crying. She looked around those in the chamber looked at her but it wasn’t with awe and respect. She noticed looks of mistrust, pity and anger. Celestia didn’t blame them, not one bit. She looked at her niece and saw kindness; she then felt her wing tugged. She saw Fluttershy and the same look.

Celestia noticed more and more ponies coming now the danger was over. She heard gasps, crying and whispers.

“The Princess went crazy!” a voice yelled.

“What happened?” another voice cried.

“Lock her up!” a third voice called. A chorus of support came from the growing crowd. The call did have its critics, several voices spoke against the suggestion. Rainbow Dash went to confront the speaker only to be held back by Applejack who grabbed her tail.

Celestia took a deep calming breath before looking around her chambers. Looks that where once lacking of trust and filling of anger or pity where replaced by looks of Sympathy, even Shooting Star who was angry with her now only showed sympathy.

“People of Canterlot.” Celestia announced. “I have done a great wrong today, I acted like a savage, I attacked those who where my subjects and more importantly my friends, my students and my family. I deserve no less than full punishment for my crimes. Even banishment to the sun.” A rumble of voices went through the crowd. “I only ask that I be allowed to remain until my student, Twilight Sparkle who risked her own life to try to help me. Wakes up before I am sentenced.” Her horn glowed with magic and removed her crown; chest piece and foot wear and placed it on the ground. “I herby announce that until sentencing I am no longer Princess, I don’t deserve the title. I am deeply sorry to all of you.”

She hung her head and walked away from the crowd. Leaving her former subjects stunned and shocked.

XXXXX

“Can she even do that?” Applejack asked. “Can she really jus up and give up her crown?”

“No pony has ever done that before.” Cadence replied. “Auntie Tia put herself at the mercy of the people.”

“How can she do that?” Shooting star questioned joining the group. “You heard them, they wanted her locked away!”

“Well Ah can’t let that happen.” Applejack said. “Time ta talk some sense into her!”

“Way ahead of you!” Rainbow Dash said as she flew ahead.

“Umm excuse me.” Fluttershy squeaked. “Has anyone seen Pinkie?”

XXXXX

Celestia slowly trotted away her head hung low, her wings and ears drooped. The one regal mare was now anything but. She was now in the Stone Garden of Canterlot just passing by the Discord statue. “Discord, he’s who I acted like today.” Celestia said sadly.

“Heeelllllooooo Celestia.” Pinkie Pie said as she appeared in front of Celestia with a piece of cake. “You forgot your cake from Twilight’s birthday party! Now I have to throw a Celestia is just a regular pony party! Won’t that be a total absolute fantastic BLAST?!”

“I’m sorry Pinkie.” Celestia sighed. “I’m in no mood for sweets.”

As those words left her mouth Pinkie jammed her face into the cake and gobbled it up. “Oh no!” Pinkie gasped. “You're not smiling! I have to make you smile! I’m friends with every pony in Ponyville and every Princess in Canterlot! I have to make my friends smile!”

“I don’t see how you can consider me a friend after what I did. To your friends.” Celestia replied.

“That’s simple silly!” Pinkie replied. “Friends always forgive each other! Remember when Fluttershy became super meanie pants shy? Or when I thought my friends hated my parties? All being mad does is make a pony sad, and I want to see my friends smile!”

Celestia did smile at the Pink ponies words. She remember the letter she got from Fluttershy, in truth she was about to head to Ponyville herself to address the matter when she got said letter.

“Wait!” Rainbow Dash cried as she zoomed over follow by Applejack. “Princess, there has to be a better way! I mean yeah you messed up, but these things happen! Running from it won’t do anything.”

“What Rainbow Dash means ta say.” Applejack interrupted. “Equestria needs its Princess, and yer the mare they look up ta.”

“Applejack, Rainbow Dash.” Celestia said. “You heard them, they want justice for what I’ve done.”

“That guy was the biggest jerk in equestrian.” Pinkie Pie added. “He and his jerk friends can go jump off a big jerk cliff with all the other jerks!”

“No.” Celestia said though she did chuckle. “I must face the consequences of what I did. I hurt my subjects and my prized student.”

“Is that what this is all about?” Rainbow Dash asked as she hovered around the Princess. “Ya know Twilight will forgive you, so will the other ponies.”

“Ya can’t beat yerself up about this!” Applejack pleaded. “These ponies still love an adore you. Ya can ask em yerself.” Applejack waved her hoof at the oncoming mass of ponies.

“Princess please don’t step down.”

“We need you Princess!”

“Please! Come back to the throne.”

Celestia felt a tear roll down her muzzle, she smiled at the warm greeting from her subjects. A pink Alicorn came running up with Celestia’s royal vestments in her magic tow.

“Auntie Tia.” Cadence said. “Please, we decided we want you back on the throne. We can help you through this.”

“Very well.” Celestia conceded. “I will take up the crown.” A cheer went up from the ponies around her. As she used her magic to adorn herself in her regal vestments. “Though I still fear I don’t deserve it.” Celestia said to herself.

XXXXX

In the Princesses chambers, labor ponies where hard at work rebuilding the ruined throne room. Meanwhile Hoity Toity and Rarity instructed workers in the more cosmetic aspect of the throne room.

“No, oh no, simply dreadful! Ah-HA! There we go.” Rarity said as she used her magic to sort through the patterns.

“Wonderful choice!” Hoity Toity agreed. “I’ll go make the arrangements!” He galloped off as Rarity sighed.

She had stayed seated since she was forcefully thrown from Celestia in the ill fated pony pile. She watched as Twilight was brought to the palace hospital.

“Hi Rarity.” Fluttershy said. “I found a pillow for you to sit on.” She placed a pillow at Rarities feet. “I just need you to skooch up just a tad.”

“Oh Fluttershy dear.” Rarity said. “I appreciate the thought but I’m fine.”

“But you don’t like sitting in dirt.” Fluttershy pointed out.

“I’m fine.”

“It will be quick.”

“I assure you I’m fine.”

“Pretty please.”

“For the last time! I’m fine!” Rarity argued.

“Oh.” Fluttershy muttered. “Ok then.” Her ears drooped and she sadly trotted away.

“Don’t worry Fluttershy.” Spike said with pillow in hand. “Up you go Rarity.”

“Wait!” Spike! Nooo!” Rarity wailed. She was lifted and weight went onto her left rear leg, the same leg she hurt when she landed. Rarity screamed! Causing Spike to let go and Fluttershy to squeal and hide. Several worker ponies glanced at the white mare before shrugging and returning to work.

“Are you ok Rarity?” Shooting Star asked as she came up next to the fashionista.

“I’m fine dear.” Rarity answered trying to sound casual.

“I heard you scream.” Shooting Star pointed out.

“Me?!” Rarity answered. “I assure you dear, I am a lady. As a lady I do not scream.”

“You just did.” Spike answered.

Rarity laughed nervously as she looked around still nervous.

“Rarity?” Shooting Star questioned. “Do you need to go to the Canterlot Hospital?”

With her bottom lip quivering and her blue eyes shimmering with tears, she nodded. “I didn’t want to be a bother to anyone.” She explained. “With how dreadfully injured Twilight was, why my injury was very minor indeed.”

“You can’t walk.” Fluttershy pointed out.

“I can float her.” Shooting Star responded. “Levitation is my best magic ability. Hence why I was able to break Twilight’s record.”

She used her magic to levitate Rarity, who in turn just whined about how dreadful this whole situation was. As she trotted towards the Hospital they passed Luna, who despite bandages and some gashes seemed none worse for the wear.

“I’ll be right back.” Shooting Star assured as she trotted back with the whining fashionista in tow.

Luna gave a confused look to Fluttershy who simply smiled. “Are you alright, Princess Luna?” She asked.

“My physical wounds shall heal in time.” Luna replied. “I worry for my sister. I have only seen her like this once before. The time I was banished to the moon, when I was Nightmare Moon. I worry about her.”

“Any good sister would worry.” Fluttershy explained. “Don’t worry, Princess. I’m sure everything will be fine.”

Luna reached out and hugged the timid yellow Pegasus. Fluttershy let out a small squeak fearing she would get another spine crushing hug like she did last Nightmare’s Night. To her surprise it was a gentle hug, one more out of gratitude and appreciation.

“Thank you.” Was all Luna said as she let go. Fluttershy only smiled at the Princess of the Night.

XXXXX

Princess Celestia slowly trotted back to the castle. While her subjects all cheered and hooted about her return. Celestia was more sullen, she knew she didn’t deserve the crown, not after how she acted. Celestia hung to the back of the crowd of her happy subjects.

“Come on slowpoke!” Rainbow cried from the sky.

“Cool yer hooves!” Applejack scolded. “Ah think Ah’ll stay with the Princess for a spell. Y’all can head back ta the Castle.”

“Whatever.” Was all Rainbow Dash said as she zoomed towards the castle.

“That gal.” Applejack snorted.

“The embodiment of loyalty.” Celestia said absently.

“Ah guess.” Applejack said as she adjusted her hat. “Gal can be counted on that’s fer sure. She jus needs ta learn not to be so dangummed boastful bout it.”

Celestia said nothing, she just sat on the ground. It was clear she was deeply troubled. Applejack noticed this, she hesitated, and true she would always have a kind or encouraging word. She just couldn’t find the words for Celestia.

“Applejack?” Celestia’s voice asked causing Applejack to nearly jump out of her skin. “I need to ask you something. Am I…am I a bad pony?” The quiver in Celestia’s voice told Applejack that Celestia was having serious self doubts about herself.

“Now why in tarnation would ya ever think that?” Applejack asked in an exasperated tone. “ya ain’t a bad pony! Yer not even close ta a bad pony! Ah jus think this whole thing is buggin ya, so why not see what’s causin it? Ya know Twilight will help ya when she can, so will that new gal.”

“Now I know why the element of honesty chose you.” Celestia said. “You do a rather good job of cutting to the truth of the matter. Regardless of consequences.”

“Heck.” Applejack said. “Ponies don’t wanna hear the truth, then they shouldn’t be askin me. I don’t sugarcoat, Sugarcube. I’m pretty sure a Princess would understand that.”

“Indeed I do.” Celestia said. “It’s good to hear pure honesty, and I thank you for it. Don’t we Cadence?”

Applejack heard an ulp from a nearby group of bushes, where Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, decided to hide herself to check on her aunt. Without her Aunt knowing about it.

“Ya snooping?” Applejack asked.

“I’m sorry.” Cadence apologized. “I was just worried, but I didn’t want to disturb the two of you.”

Applejack let out a hearty laugh before giving Cadence a pat on the back that nearly sent the pink Alicorn sprawling. “Heck, I woulda done the same if my kin where involved.”

“Perhaps we should go back to the Castle.” Celestia said. “Cadence, is Twilight?”

“Nurse Redheart was here from Ponyville.” Cadence explained as she walked along with Applejack and Celestia. “She was one of the guests invited for Twilight’s party. She was very quick to tend to her. She’s resting now, her family is with her.”

“Her family.” Celestia said slowly. “They must hate me.”

“Now cut that out!” Applejack scolded. “Ya weren’t yerself!”

“Who else got hurt?” Celestia asked it was the last thing she wanted to ask.

“Auntie Lulu got beat up, but she’s refusing any medical attention, she says she’s fine, that she survived worse.” Cadence reported. “Rarity hurt her leg, she was levitated to seek treatment by Shooting Star.”

“Ah betcha that fussbudget is putting up more of a fuss over the gown color than how badly she’s hurt.” Applejack commented.

“Well.” Cadence said thoughtfully. “That’s what I heard.”

“Oh fer!” Applejack fumed. “Sorry gals, I gotta go set some pony straight.” Applejack raced towards the castle.”

Cadence looked at her aunt, Celestia still hung her head, and she still wasn’t the regal mare Cadence adored even as a filly. The events of the day weighed on Celestia, to the point where Cadence wondered if she would ever be the same.

“It wasn’t your fault Auntie Tia.” Cadence assured her.

“I heard myself say that to Luna when she returned from her banishment as Nightmare Moon.” Celestia said sadly. “Now I know why Luna took no comfort in those words.”

“Oh Auntie Tia.” Cadence said as she nuzzled her Aunt. “Maybe, you should visit Twilight.”

“Only if you will accompany me.” Celestia requested. Cadence nodded with a smile as she walked with Celestia towards the castle.

XXXXX

“Are you sure you’re all right Twilly?” Twilight Velvet asked her daughter yet again. Twilight Sparkle regained consciousness about a half hour ago and since then her mother has constantly been asking her about her well being.

“Mom!” Twilight protested. “I’m fine!”

She was in a hospital room, but she was with her parents both who were worried.. About five minutes ago Rarity was brought in by Shooting Star. It wasn’t long after she was brought in that she started complaining. Rather loudly. It wasn’t soon after that Applejack came rushing in.

What followed was a very loud confrontation between the farm pony and the fashionista.

“Oh!” Twilight complained. “that’s it! I’m putting an end to this!”

“Sweetie.” Night Light said. “You need to rest.” At that point Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie came in both heard the argument.

“Oh! A yelling contest!” Pinkie said. “Can I join?”

“Not the best idea.” Twilight said.

“I can handle this dear.” Twilight Velvet assured as she trotted out. The yelling came to an abrupt stop and Twilight Velvet trotted back in. “There we go much better.”

“This I gotta see.” Rainbow Dash claimed as she flew out. She went to Rarities room where Rarity and Applejack both huddled in the corner. Both look like they saw the most fearsome creature ever in Equestria. “Whoa! What happened.”

“Ya member Fluttershy’s stare?” Applejack asked.

“Well yeah.” Rainbow Dash replied.

“This is twice as bad.” Rarity replied.

Rainbow Dash flew back to Twilight’s room still chuckling.

“I can’t believe you used….it on them, mom” Twilight said.

“It was best for every pony involved.” Twilight Velvet replied. “I can’t believe I still have it. Sweetie, we’re worried.” Her expression went from kidding to serious.

“We all are.” Night Light agreed. “We know it wasn’t intentional, but..”

“No.” Twilight said. “There is no way Princess Celestia would hurt me! She..she wasn’t in her right mind.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie agreed. “She went Loco in the coco!”

“I wish I had Spike here.” Twilight lamented. “He could help me find books on what I need while I’m laid up in here.”

“Calm down Twi.” Rainbow Dash offered. “I’ll just look for the little guy, but I haven’t seen him since Celestia lost her mind.”

“Oh.” Twilight Velvet said suddenly. “I think I saw him earlier with that finicky white pony.”

“Rarity.” Twilight said.

“Please sweetie.” Night Light begged. “It’s late and you need rest.”

“We all are.” Twilight said. “I think the kitchen staff has left over sweets.”

“WOOHOO!” Pinkie and a newly appeared Surprise called out in unison. As they zoomed out to raid the kitchen.

“I’m going to check on Applejack and Rarity.” Rainbow Dash said. “Night Twilight.” Rainbow Dash then left.

“We’re heading home too sweetie.” Night Light said. “We’re glad you’re ok.” Night Light kissed his daughter on the forehead Twilight Velvet did the same before they left.

“Oh Princess.” Twilight whispered as a tear rolled down her cheek. “What happened?”

XXXXX

“I can hardly believe it!” Rainbow Dashed laughed as she floated on her back after being told in detail what Twilight Velvet did.

“It does seem farfetched.” Shooting Star added, she was absent during the incident, but Rainbow happily filled her in.

“Farfetched nuthin!” Applejack protested.

“Give it up.” Rarity sighed. “We won’t be believed.”

“You just need to rest.” Shooting Star said to Rarity. “You needed to be here sooner.”

“An not be so fussy bout yer gown.” Applejack commented.

“The color was dreadful!” Rarity argued.

“Well now we need to get some rest.” Shooting Star said. “There are some spare rooms in the castle, since some guests for the party left after…well what happened.”

“Ah wish ah knew what made Celestia act like that.” Applejack said. “She’s down on herself fer it, that’s fer sure.”

“First thing tomorrow I’m going to the Canterlot library and try to find out what happened.” Shooting Star declared.

“Say Rarity.” Rainbow Dash asked. “You haven’t seen Spike have you?”

“Last I saw he was with Fluttershy.” Rarity said. “Knowing how faithful he is to twilight he might even be at the Canterlot Library, trying to find books.”

“Well might as well go look for him.” Rainbow sighed.

“He’s fine sugarcube.” Applejack assured. “Ah’m sure he’s got Fluttershy with him.”

“I hope so.” Rarity said wistfully. “I don’t want anything to happen to my little Spikey Wikey.

“Well I’m gonna turn in.” Applejack said with a yawn. “Night y’all.”

“I’m might as well hit the hay too.” Rainbow Dash said as she left. “You need lots of sleep to be twenty percent cooler than every pony else.”

“Night Rarity.” Shooting Star said as she left.

Rarity looked in the darkness and thought of the rampage earlier. “how dreadful.” Rarity whispered.

XXXXX

Spike wandered the halls of Canterlot Castle, he came from the library and carried a book with him. Spike seemed to wander for ages, not knowing where he was. He eventually came to the ruined audience chamber. The holes where repaired by Earth Pony laborers but the bad memory still stayed with the dragon.

“Spike?” a voice asked. “Why are you out this late?”

“Why do you care?” Spike asked turning and glaring at Celestia. “Why are you here? You hurt Twilight, are you going to finish the job?”

Above Rainbow Dash saw the confrontation. She sighed as she landed, she noticed Spike looked mad. Madder than normal, madder than he ever has been.

“Spike.” She said. “come on ease up ok?”

“No!” Spike yelled. “I won’t Rainbow! She hurt Twilight and she’s just walking around like nothing happened.”

“That’s enough!” Cadence yelled. “Auntie Tia and I were just on our way to visit her. Please little dragon…”

“I’m Spike!” Spike yelled.

“Calm down Spike.” Rainbow Dash said. “Twilight’s fine, I just came from visiting her.”

“Spike.” Celestia said. “I know your mad at me, all I can do is apologize. I know how why or how it happened. All I can do is beg forgiveness.”

The baby dragon sniffled and hugged the Princesses leg. “I’m ok.” Spike said. “I’m just worried, I didn’t mean to take it out on you.”

“Twilight is blessed to have such a loyal..” Cadence started but was cut off when Rainbow Dash cleared her throat rather loudly. “Two loyal friends, by her side.”

“Now if you don’t mind.” Rainbow Dash said with a lazy yawn. “I’m going to get some shut eye.”

“Sleep well Rainbow Dash.” Celestia and Cadence said together. The blue Pegasus zoomed away. Celestia levitated Spike onto her back. The trio started trotting towards the hospital.

“So.” Spike said. “How do you feel Princess Celestia?”

“I’ll feel better Spike, when I figure out what made me do what I did.” Celestia said her voice determined.

“Maybe it was the buzzing.” Spike suggested.

The two Alicorns looked at the dragon with curious expressions.

“Buzzing?” Cadence questioned.

“Don’t tell me you two didn’t hear it.” Spike said flatly. “Gha why do I even try?”

“Dragon’s do have better hearing than ponies.” Celestia pointed out. “Spike when did you hear this buzzing?”

“About the same time you started acting…umm..” Spike paused unsure how to finish without offending Celestia.

“I see.” Celestia said. “That was most helpful Spike.”

“I was?” Spike asked.

Celestia nodded with a slight smile. Cadence noted the smile and in turn smiled. Just then she saw two ponies an orange one with a bakers hat and a square jaw with an under bite and a blue one with a deep pink mane come running up.

“Terribly sorry Princesses.” Mr. Cake said. “We have a little problem.”

“Is it pink and eating all the left over cakes?” spike asked knowing full well the answer.

“Well that’s the problem.” Mrs. Cake said. “She somehow made another Pinkie, except this one is a white Pegasus!”

“We can hardly handle one Pinkie Pie!” Mr. Cake said. “How do we handle two?”

“Auntie Tia.” Cadence said. “Go see Twilight, I’ll take care of this matter.”

She left with the cakes to the royal kitchen as Celestia with Spike on her back made their way to the hospital. The ride was silent with neither knowing what to say. Celestia finally said one thing.

“I am truly sorry for everything today Spike.” Celestia said.

“Don’t worry Princess.” Spike assured. “I got a book that might help Twilight. We’ll nip this in the bud!”

Celestia paused as she reached the entrance to the Hospital. She took a deep breath and entered. “I am here to see Twilight sparkle.” She said.

“Oh Princess Celestia.” A white earth pony with a light pink mane said. “I was wondering if you would come. Follow me please, hello Spike.”

“Hi Nurse Redheart.” Spike said cheerfully.

“Twilight’s injuries weren’t that bad considering.” Nurse Redheart said. “Not even bruised ribs, she should be able to be released tomorrow.”

“That’s encouraging news.” Celestia said.

Nurse Redheart stopped at a room door. “Here we go.” She said as she opened the door.

Celestia walked in the room was dark but she saw Twilight. Twilight’s ear twitched and the unicorn rolled over and opened her eyes and saw her mentor. Celestia walked over to her students’ bed and lowered her head allowing Twilight to hug her. During this the two said nothing though various sniffles where heard.

“Bleh. Mushy stuff.” Spike muttered. He then found himself in a magic bubble going towards twilight and getting hugged by her. “Oh come on cut it out.” Twilight just smiled at her dragon, she noticed the book and used her magic to place it on her table.

“My dear Twilight.” Celestia said. “I’m so happy you’re safe. I..I can’t begin to…” Celestia stopped the tears overwhelming her.

“Princess.” Twilight said. “We’ll find out what made you do this. We’ll have answers. I promise you that.”

“For answers dear pupil.” Celestia said regaining her regal composure. “You need look no further than your own assistant.”

“Awww shucks.” Spike said as he blushed.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow Spike.” Twilight said. “When Pinkie was here she somehow brought your bed.” She pointed to a corner where indeed Spike’s bed was.

“Princess Cadence sends her regrets.” Celestia said. “She had to take care of a small problem involving Pinkie Pie. I am happy to see you well my dear student. I must rest, today has been trying.”

“Goodnight Princess.” Twilight said.

“Goodnight Twilight.” Celestia said as she left.

XXXXX

“Just over here Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.” Mr. Cake said as he ran to the kitchen hoping to reduce any damage Pinkie would do.

“Just Cadence will do.” Cadence said as she followed him. They reached the kitchen to find it none worse for the wear. “So what’s the issue?”

“I don’t get it.” Mrs. Cake said. “It was a wreck before.”

“Princess Cadence.” Clean Sweep said as she came up. “I’m sorry but we got the problem taken care of.”

“You didn’t hurt them did you?” Mr. Cake asked.

“No of course not.” Clean Sweep replied. “In fact your children played a big part. Come see for yourselves.” The maid lead the other three to the dining room, where Carrot and Pound cake where using their magic and wings to keep the hyper ponies occupied. “they kept them busy while we got the rest of the deserts out.”

“Ok kids.” Mrs. Cake said though she really wasn’t sure who would answer, her own children, or the two who acted like children. She nearly facehooved when all four stopped and looked at her. “It’s time for all good ponies to go to bed.”

“Awwww.” Surprise whined. “I wanted cake.”

“You’ve had a big day Surprise.” Cadence said. “How about after you help clean up the rest tomorrow, then you can have some cake.”

“WOOHOO!” Surprise cheered then she was gone in a white streak.

“You too Pinkie dear.” Mr. Cake said. After she gave him her sad eyes he promised her cake the next day. After that, the happy pony zoomed off.

“Do us a favor dear.” Mrs. Cake pleaded Cadence. “Give us a month warning before Surprise comes to visit. We need time to prepare for two Pinkies.”

Cadence nodded while keeping her smile, she wanted to burst out laughing at the hijinks, but she knew that would be very unprincess like.

“I thank you for all the help today.” Cadence said as she dipped into a bow.

“I just wish things went better.” Mrs. Cake said. “Please send our best to The Princesses.”

Cadence nodded and was on her way back to the hospital, on her way she saw her Aunt Celestia.

“Is Twilight?” she asked.

“Resting.” Celestia answered. “I’m going to do the same. Tomorrow is another day. Walk with me to my chambers?”

“Of course Auntie Tia.” Cadence said. The two alicorns walked in silence, Cadence still felt that Celestia had the weight of the world on her wings. She knew what she said would make little difference. When they got to Celestia’s personal chambers, Celestia nuzzled her niece. “Sleep well Auntie Tia.”

“You as well.” Celestia replied as she entered her chambers.

In her chambers she removed her royal chest piece, her crown and her slippers. She looked in the mirror and for a horrifying instant her reflection had black pits for eyes and had a maniacal grin. Terrified Celestia looked away and went to her bed. She lay in her bed and as the events from the day cascaded down on her.

The ruler of Equestria cried herself to sleep.

END CHAPTER 5