• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 1,497 Views, 34 Comments

Chrysalis' Revenge - RickyB



Three months after the Royal Wedding, an old evil returns. Can The Mane 6 hope to defeat it again?

  • ...
8
 34
 1,497

7. Secrets


Shooting Star and Princess Cadence made their way back from seeing Beast Master. The kindly lore master could offer nothing in the ways of Changelings. So Cadence and Shooting star left. As they reached the main part of the castle, they noticed guards running around in a panic.

“What happened?” Cadenced asked a guard as he ran by.

“Princess Celestia is down, Diamond Dogs and changelings attacked! Twilight Sparkle has been taken!” the guard rattled. “We’ve already put Canterlot in full lockdown, nopony leaves.

“Oh no.” Cadence said as she broke into a run followed by Shooting Star. The two mares reaches the courtyard, where Celestia was being tended to by Nurse Redheart, with an anxious Luna looming above them. Nurse Redheart along with the Cakes where some of the ponies not allowed to go home due to Canterlot being in full lockdown. Pinkie Pie and Surprise where now hugging each other crying fountains worth of tears, their normally poofy manes both totally straight. Applejack saw Shooting Star and obviously was unhappy the mare was even there.

“Now what are you doin here?” Applejack asked.

“A.J” Shooting star started.

“Applejack ta you.” Applejack inturupted.

“Why are you so mad at me?” Shooting star asked. “I didn’t do anything..”

“That’s right.” Applejack said. “Not a durned thing! Now Twilight’s gone missing!”

“We’ll find her.” Shooting Star said.

“We nothing!” Applejack said. “I ain’t having ya along!”

“Applejack!” Rarity scolded. “Please, do try to control yourself, we’re all upset, but it’s no need to take it out on Shooting Star.”

The farm pony huffed as she walked away. Shooting Star looked down, hurt by Applejack’s harsh words.

“I’m sorry I need to go check on my Aunt.” Cadence said as she left.

“Don’t let Applejack get to you dear.” Rarity assured Shooting Star. “She and Twilight are rather close, I’m sure she’s just lashing out, no excuse though.”

“The Princess.” Shooting Star murmured as she looked at the Celestia. She approached despite glances from Luna and a glare from Applejack. Rarity was beside her.

Celestia lay there, she seemed to be unconscious, her breathing was staggered. A jagged hole was present in her midsection.

“Star!” Spike shouted as the dragon ran as fast as his feet could carry him. “I heard what happened, maybe this will help.” He held out the book. Applejack caught sight of it.

“What in tarnation are ya thinkin Spike!” Applejack ranted the normally calm farm pony losing all composure. “This ain’t gonna help us!”

“It was all we could find.” Spike replied trying to stay calm.

“Well it ain’t good enough!” Applejack yelled.

Shooting Star took the book, making it a point to ignore Applejack. “Thank you Spike.” She tried to flip to the part about Changelings but found the book lowers by a hoof and she was face to face with Applejack.

“Uh-oh.” Rainbow said as she joined the others. “Say A.J, you might want to let Shooting star do the egghead thing, since we don’t have Twilight right now.”

Frantic Star looked to Spike who just shrugged, he knew Applejack for nearly two years now and he never saw her like this.

“This book…is useless!” Applejack half snarled half yelled. “How can ya even think it will help us! How? Tell me how? Come on! Tell me…”

“Shut up Applejack!” Shooting star screamed. The tall black unicorn got nose to nose with the smaller earth pony. “Stop yelling and start helping! Celestia needs to get to the hospital and she needs to get there now! Please, just help me instead of yelling at me.”

“Well.” Applejack said taking several deep breaths. “Whatcha need?”

“Something we can put the princess on. I’m not sure how she will hold up with just being levitated. I need something under her, something flat to support her.”

“On it.” Rainbow said as she zoomed off. Applejack just nodded and followed the Pegasus. After Applejack left Shooting Star moved from the group allowing Nurse Redheart to continue doing what she could do with Celestia.

“I can’t believe you did that.” Spike said.

“Are you ok?” Fluttershy asked noticing how the mare was shaking.

“I can’t believe I did that.” Shooting Star said. She used her magic to levitate the book. She turned to where it mentioned Changelings, she went to turn the page and noticed they were stuck together. “great.”

“Allow me.” Rarity said as she took the book in her own magic field. She then used some magic to unstuck the pages.

“She’s amazing.” Spike said clearly lovestruck.

“Well, when you have a little sister who has sticky hooves, you just prepare a special spell.” Rarity replied.

Shooting Star turned the page and her eyes grew wide. “It says that Changeling horns are coated with a poison. They can only be cured by the Redroot Plants. Found in the Everfree Forest.”

“The Everfree Forest is so far away.” Fluttershy pointed out.

“It would take even Rainbow Dash hours to make the trip.” Rarity pointed out.

“If Twilight was here she could just teleport there.” Spike said, then when all three mares gave him dirty looks. “Shutting up.”

XXXXX

Applejack looked for something flat enough to support the Princess. The fact Rainbow Dash was trying to make conversation wasn’t improving Applejack’s sour mood.

“Come on what’s eating you.” Rainbow dash said yet again.

“Maybe some rainbow maned loud mouth who would rather flap her gums then get ta work!” Applejack snarled.

“Scuse me for trying to help.” Rainbow muttered.

“Ah’m sorry Dashie.” Applejack said. “It’s jus Twi’s mah friend, and it cheeses me off I couldn’t help er.”

“That whole thing was a trap.” Rainbow Dash observed. “I still think you should talk to Star. You where pretty hard on her.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Applejack muttered as she found something. “Wanna lend a hoof?” The Pegasus helped Applejack get an old mattress.

“Think you can handle it?” Dash asked.

“Ya kiddin?” Applejack asked. “I helped bring one jus like this all the way ta Sweet Apple Acres fer Big Macintosh.”

“Well you have me!” Rainbow crowed. Applejack smiled and put part of the mattress on her back. Dash did so with the back part, she used her wings to balance it, when it threatened to tip. The duo made their way back to the Courtyard. When they got there, they noticed Celestia was gone along with Redheart, Shining Armor, Cadence and Luna.

“They couldn’t wait?” Rainbow asked.

“Luna wanted Celestia in proper care as soon as possible.” Shooting Star admitted, “She’s worried about her sister.”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash set down the mattress. “We jus found this here mattress fer the Princess.”

“Well I have another use for it.” Shooting Star said glancing as the teo still crying ponies.

“Lemme take care of this.” Applejack offered. “My what a nice mattress Ah sure hope nopony goes an jumps on it.” No sooner did the farm pony say those words than two hyper and happy ponies where jumping on the mattress all giggles and their manes poofing back to life. “Well now that’s taken care of, you gals should get goin’, Ah’ll catch up, I needa talk to somepony.”

Pinkie and Surprise both bounced out, Rainbow Dash flew out followed by Fluttershy, Rarity was last looking at Shooting Star and giving Applejack a glare before leaving. Once alone the farm pony looked down.

“Ah’m sorry.” Applejack said. “Ah shoulda kept my durned temper, but, well, Twilight’s been a good friend, better than Ah ever had before. Jus burned me up Ah couldn’t help her. When Ah saw you come in with Cadence, I jus blew mah top an Ah’m sorry.”

“It’s ok Applejack.” Shooting Star said. “I think I found a cure, well hopefully.” She floated the book up, that was attached to claws. “Spike?”

Somehow the dragon fell asleep using the book as a bed. “Not now Twilight, five more minutes.” Was his sleepy reply.

“Spike!” Shooting Star yelled.

“Wuh!” Spike said. “I’m up! Really!”

“How could a dragon fall asleep?” Applejack asked. “With all this ruckus goin on.”

“Can I see that book.” Shooting star asked. Spike handed her the book, despite a doubting look from Applejack. “It’s says here we need Redroot plants from the Everfree forest.”

“That’s a mighty long way ta go.” Applejack replied. “Ah would feel a lot better if there was another source, other than a childrens book.”

“I agree that a children’s book isn’t the best.” Shooting Star said. “It’s all we have though. Come on we need to check on Princess Celestia.” Star used magic to place Spike on her back. The two galloped towards the hospital.

Omce they got there they where met by Rarity who showed them to where Celestia was being kept. The Sun Princess was awake but everypony could tell she was very weak. Luna was by her side as was Cadence.

“She will pay for hurting you so sister!” Luna raged.

“Now sister.” Celestia said her voice weak. “There is a cure, I’m sure of it. How could I forget that Changeling horns where poisoned.”

“Are you ok Princess?” Shooting Star asked.

“I’m very tired.” Celestia replied.

“You need to rest Auntie Tia.” Cadence told her aunt she turned to Shooting Star. “You where telling me before that Twilight found a book.” Luna gave Shooting Star an anxious look, as did the others in the room.

“It’s nothing.” Shooting Star said presenting the book. Oddly enough Celestia smiled.

“Did you find this Shooting Star?” she asked her voice a whisper.

“Twilight did.” Shooting star said.

“Don’t be put off by appearance.” Celestia said. “That book is invaluable…” Celestia’s head fell to the pillow as the regal mare faded from consciousness.

“Auntie Tia!” Cadence cried she noticed her aunt was breathing, but it was weak, staggered.

“That book mentions, The Everfree forest does it not?” Luna asked.

“Yes.” Shooting Star said. “The Redroot plants.”

“I will go to The Everfree forest.” Luna declared. “I would like Shooting Star, Applejack and Fluttershy to accompany me. Cadence I need you to start on a plan to rescue Twilight Sparkle.”

“Why me?” Fluttershy squeaked as Rainbow Dash forcefully pushed her forward.

“Thou hast an ability thou calls The Stare.” Luna said. “It pacifies even the fiercest predator. Thou hast tamed a manticore.”

“The poor kitty had a thorn in his paw.” Fluttershy said.

“A dragon.”

“He was being really rude.”

“A cockatrice.”

“He turned my chickens to stone, oh and Twilight.”

“Even Cerebus himself.”

“He was just a big cuddly puppy.”

“Thou hast a gift Fluttershy.” Luna went on. “I fear deep in the Everfree we will need it.”

“Now doncha worry none sugarcube, Ah’ll make sure nothing hurts ya.” Applejack assured.

Spike waddled over with a saddlebag in his claws. “Here ya go Star.”

“Thanks Spike.” She said as she secured the bag to her flank. She cast a glance to Celestia, who was still unconscious. Cadence and Nurse Readheart where by her side.

“Don’t fret none.” Applejack assured her. “We’ll find what we need to help her.”

Shooting Star, Applejack, Fluttershy and Princess Luna went into a tight circle, where Luna’s horn glowed with magical powers. In a brilliant flash of light the four where gone.

XXXXX

Twilight sat in shock, here was her mentor someone who she thought was like a second mother to her. Just called her a constant disappointment. She felt a flood of feelings, sadness, pity, despair, but also anger. Her horn glowed purple as she fired a magic beam at her mentor.

She staggered back taken by surprise by the ferocity of the attack, what took her even more by surprise was she kept going. The form of Celestia faded and was replaced by Queen Chrysalis.

“Enough!” chrysalis screamed causing Twilight to stop. She looked at the queen ready to fire another volley. “You are quite the unicorn.”

“Save the compliments.” Twilight growled.

“I’m not your enemy.” Chrysalis said. “Far from it, I’m a victim, much like you. I was faithful to Celestia just like you. She found out what I was and abandoned me. What I did at the wedding was for the good of my subjects. We would have enough to keep us strong to find a place in Equestria.”

“It would have cost me my brother, my foal sitter, my mentor and my friends.” Twilight said slowly advancing.

“They turned on you.” Chrysalis said. “Did Celestia even apologize?”

“She told me..” Twilight started before Chrysalis shook her head.

“Not the same.” Chrysalis said. “You and I are more alike than you’ll ever know.” Chrysalis slung a hole ridden hoof over Twilight’s shoulder. “Trust me Twilight, you can go far under my teachings.” Her eyes glowed green. “trust me Twilight, I’m the one you can trust.”

“No!” Twilight shouted. “My friends!”

“Your just another egghead.” Chrysalis said as she assumed Rainbow Dashes form. “You don’t know the first thing about a party!” she said as Pinkie. “Or getting yer hooves dirty.” As Applejack. “Your simply dreadful.” She said as Rarity. “and…well..mean.” as Fluttershy. “I think I’ll lock you in the moon.” Chrysalis said as Celestia. “I’ll take your place and no pony will ever miss you.” She ended as Shooting Star.

With an enraged scream Twilight shot her most powerful beam of magic she could summon. The force sent the disguised queen against the wall where she slid down and didn’t move a muscle. Twilight ran over to see that Shootintg star looked dead.

“No! what did I do?” Twilight wailed.

“What you needed to do.” Chrysalis said as she stood up, apparently unphased by the attack.

“No!” Twilight yelled. “I’m nothing like you! I’m not!”

“You are.” Chrysalis said approaching the Unicorn, she wrapped her forelegs around her in a motherly hug. “Let me guide you dear Twilight. Let me welcome you to our hive. Let me show you what I shown your Princess Celestia.”

“What was that?” Twilight asked.

A black jagged horn touched Twilight’s horn. “The power of rage.” Chrysalis said. As her horn glowed.

Twilight smiled as her purple eyes became black soulless pits.

“Very good Twilight.” Chrysalis complimented. “Use the power of your rage and all will fall against you.”

Twilight nodded and Chrysalis smiled again. Her revenge was at hand and who better to use than the pony who thwarted her to begin with. Twilight would destroy her mentor and she in turn would destroy Twilight.

XXXXX

“How do you feel Auntie Tia?” Cadence asked. After Luna left, Shining Armor was quick to take charge, which suited his wife fine. She would much rather care for her aunt.

“Fortunatly, Alicorn’s have a stronger resistance to the Changeling venom that normal ponies.” Nurse Redheart said. “Still the anit venom would be much appreciated.”

“I have every faith in my sister and those she chose.” Celestia said, her voice regained some strength but was nowhere near as strong as normal. “I only wish I could help somehow.”

“The important thing now is bedrest.” Rarity said. Like Cadence Rarity chose to care for Celestia. She allowed Shining Armor and Rainbow Dash to do the rescue plan for Twilight. While Pinkie Pie well she was Pinkie Pie and went zooming off to who knows where.

Cadence nuzzled her Aunt. “Don’t worry we’ll find Twilight.” Cadence assured her. “Chrysalis won’t have her.”

“I’ve become lax in my duties.” Celestia remarked. “Nightmare Moon, Discord, The Changelings, failing relations on a global scale. Perhaps Blueblood is right, maybe I need to pass on my crown. Maybe she is ready after..”

“Tia!” Cadence scolded giving a quick glance to Rarity. Celestia nodded and her eyes closed. Cadence looked to Rarity who didn’t seem to notice as she was looking over a blanket used for celestia.

“Excuse me?” Rarity asked. “I hate to ask but do you have a sewing machine or just a needle and thread I could use? I would normally use my shop, but that’s in Ponyville. I do have some fabric to make a blanket for The Princess, but I lack the needs.”

“Follow me.” Cadence said with a smile. She lead the way with the white unicorn following.

“Pardon me for prying dear, but is the Princess ok?” Rarity asked almost dreading the answer. “I mean aside from this latest horrible incident that is.”

“Auntie Tia runs a nation.” Cadence replied. “She’s under the watch of everypony and every non pony. Gryphons, Dragons, Minotaurs, Zebra’s even some races we aren’t even sure are out there. All have eyes on her. It’s very stressful.” She stopped at a door, when she opened there was just a lone table with a simple sewing machine.

“This is perfect dear.” Rarity said. “I just need my materials”

As if on cue Spike waddled up carrying all of Rarities luggage. “You need something Rarity?” Spike grunted.

“Aww Spikey.” Rarity giggled as she used her magic to levitate a small handbag. “That will do Spike.”

“Maybe I can leave your stuff here?” Spike grunted his tiny dragon body unable to hold the tower of boxes up much longer.

“Oh yes, just put them in the corner.” Rarity said waving a hoof vaguely in a direction. Spike waddled in and a crashing sound was hard right after.

“Ihave to go tend to my Aunt.” Cadence said. “I trust you’ll be ok?”

“Of course dear.” Rarity said already setting to her task. Cadence left and Rarity frowned. Rarity never was good with keeping up with politics, she felt it better to keep her glamerous nose out of that stinky trade.

“Guess things are worse than they let on.” Spike remarked.

“What do you mean Spike?” Rarity asked as she pulled several threads out of her bag.

“Well ever since the wedding, you know when she lost.” Spike explained. “A lot of nobles have said she’s lost her touch.”

“Like that horrid Blueblood.” Rarity grumbled as she motioned for Spike to get closed and used his scaley hide as a pin cushion. “I do hope they don’t do something rash.”

“Like what she’s planning with Twilight.” Spike muttered maybe alittle too loudly.

“What are they palnning?” Rarity asked.

“Huh?” Spike questioned, then when he figured it out. “Oh, um nothing.”

“Spike.” Rarity said again using her magic to put the dragon face to face with her. “What are they planning to do with Twilight?”

“Look, if I tell you, you can’t tell anypony else. Not even Twilight, the only reason I know is I happened to overhear.” Spike said. “I think only Cadence, Luna and Celestia know, I think even Shining Armor is in the dark. I don’t even think I’m supposed to know!”

“Ok Spike.” Rarity agreed. “I won’t tell a soul, you have my word as a lady.”

“Ok.” Spike sighed.

XXXXX

The Everfree forest, long thought by the citizens of ponyville to be an evil forest. Nature moves on it’s own will, without the use of a Pegasus weather team. Monsters roam freely, from Timber wolves, to Ursa Majors and Ursa Minors two animals that ponies swear are descended from the great starts themselves. Manticores, hydra’s, sea serpents, cockatrices, and some unlucky enough even see a Draco or Tarus two other constellation creatures though these where rare. Even Celestia herself only saw about one or two in her long lifetime.

The eerie tranquility of the forest was broken in a brilliant flash of light. Teleporting four mares into a clearing. One had a light orange coat and a blonde mane and tail both tied and donned a Stetson hat, her flank bore the image of apples. Second was a timid butter colored Pegasus with a long pale pink mane, on her flank was a trio of butterflies. Third was a tall unicorn whose coat was black as night, her mane and tail where yellow, she had a long wavy mane almost reaching her hooves. On her flank was a lone star. Finally there was a tall mare tallest in the group, she had an indigo coat and a mane what was the color of the night sky that flowed constantly. Onher flank was the moon.

“Well this here is it.” Applejack said. “ya got something fer us ta go on Star?”

Shooting Star went through her saddle bags and pulled out a small book, she flipped to a page that was folded in the top corner. “Here.” She said. As she levitated the book for the other three to see. The plant was mostly red with green and red leaves.

“Ah reckon Zecora has those.” Applejack reasoned. “Ah think her hut is close by.”

Luna stood still as her horn glowed a dark blue. “Follow me.” The night princess said as she walked. The group made their way all where cautious, Fluttersyh lagged several feet behind.

“Come on Sugarcube.” Applejack called. “We gotta get to Zecora’s.”

“the woods are so scary.” Fluttershy whimpered. A roar was heard from far off, still the yellow Pegasus dove into a tree with a squeak.

“Come on Fluttershy.” Shooting Star said. “You can walk with me and Applejack.” She using her levitation magic to float Fluttershy close to them.

“Come on sugar.” Applejack said. “We won’t let anything happen ta ya.”

“O..okay.” Fluttershy stammered. A howl was heard, that nearly sent Fluttershy into a patch of Poison Joke if not for Shooting star using her magic to catch her.

“What are those odd plants?” Luna questioned.

“Poison Joke.” Applejack responded. “Plants that play a joke on you instead of givin ya an itch. Last time Ah got that ah wuz bout six inches tall.”

“Tis best we avoid them.” Luna said. “This Zecora is she near?”

“Hut shouldn’t be too far away.” Applejack said. True enough within five minutes they where looking at Zecora’s hut. Another roar sounded through the woods. Fluttershy vanished with a frightened yelp.

The ponies assembled looked around for the timid animal caretaker. Applejack found her hiding again in a tree. “Come on sugarcube.” Applejack coaxed. “Ain’t that far to go.”

“Well…” Fluttershy started then another howl echoed through the forest and Fluttershy squeaked and hid behind her mane. With an agrivated sigh Applejack pushed the timid Pegasus forward. The group finally made their way to Zecora’s front step. Luna knocked on the door, where a Zebra answered, upon seeing the Night Princess Zecora dropped into a bow.

“No need for that.” Luna said feeling slightly embarrassed.

“Fogive me I’m not used to the sight. What brings you here Mistress of the night?” Zecora asked in her typical rhyming.

“My sister has been poisoned.” Luna said. “We require something called the Redroot Plants.”

“The redroot plants grow in the wild.” Zecro stated. “The challenge in getting them is quite mild.”

“Ya don’t have any?” Applejack asked.

“I was going to get them myself, to have them in abundance on my shelf.” Zecora comfirmed. “You are free to join, but I cannot pay you in coin.”

“I only wish for the plant.” Luna said quickly.

“I know you worry about your sisters life ending. But do you not see for yourself the sun descending?” Zecora pointed out.

Luna looked along with the others, even through the gloom of the forest. She saw the sun going down. Quickly the mistress of the night went about her nightly task. Luck was with her as the moon and stars where eager to come out.

“Come on every pony.” Shooting Star said. “Lets get to work, Zecora, can you lead the way.”

Zecora nodded as she lead the way, she was follow by the four.

XXXXX

In her private chambers Celestia was resting peacefully. Her niece Princess Cadence gently fanned her aunt with her wing. Then her ears twitched.

As an Alicorn, Cadence was gifted with enhanced abilities. Her sight was twice as good as a unicorn, who in general had better eyes sight than earth ponies and pegasus. However it was her hearing that caught her attention this time.

The voices where murmurs at this distance but she heard the tones, urgency was the main tone. The pink Alicorn sighed as she got up.

“Princess Mi Amore Cadenza?” Nurse Redheart asked.

“Stay here with Auntie Tia.” Cadence ordered as she walked off.

XXXXX

Shortly after Cadence left Celestia awoke. Much to the shock of those in the room. She said no words to them, but they all began begging her to go rest. Celestia ignored them as she hobbled towards her destination.

XXXXX

“Ok Rarity,” Rarity said as she hyperventilated dropping the blanket she was working on. “just breath and collect yourself. I can’t believe the Princess would do that.”

“I already told you.” Spike argued . “I’m not sure that’s even the plan, it’s just what I overheard.”

“What did you overhear?” A voice asked. They looked and saw Cadence and she wasn’t happy, her wings where unfurled making the Princess of Love look fierce. “What do you know.”

“Really I don’t know much.” Spike said as he backed from the Alicorn. “I just overheard them, really.” He found himself in Cadence’s magic field.

“Don’t you even lay a hoof on him!” Rarity yelled. “If you do, well, I’ll, well I’ll rip you to shreds!”

Cadence let Spike go. “I’m sorry.” She said.

“Is it true?” Rarity asked.

“It’s not for me to say.” Cadence said sadly. “I’m sorry I can’t tell you more. Only..”

“The Princess!” Spike said pointed. The two females looked and Celestia was standing in the door way. She looked ready to collapse any minute. Outside the voices of Nurse Redheart, Shining Armor, Rainbow Dash even Pinkie Pie where heard trying to convince Celestia to go back to bed and rest.

The look on Celestia’s face however told Rarity that the sun Princess knew. Even on wobbly legs Celestia looked formidable. Still the alabaster unicorn stood her ground.

Celestia starred hard at Rarity who returned the stare. “It it true?” Rarity asked. Celestia offered no answer. “Is. It. True?” Rarity asked again not backing down.

“Has she gone nuts?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“nuts?” Pinkie said. “Where?”

Shining Armor went into the room, he looked at his wife who couldn’t even look at him. He looked at Celestia and Rarity the two locked in a stare down. Though the Sun Princess looked like she would faint before the conflict was resolved.

“Is it true?” Rarity asked again not backing down.

“Yes.” Celestia said. “I’m so sorry…” she then collapsed, or would have if Cadence didn’t catch her in her magic. Cadence quickly left the room with Nurse Redheart following.

“Is what true?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“That’s between Rarity and The Princesses.” Shining Armor said looked at the wannabe Wonderbolt. “Don’t press it, I would hate to have to lock you up.” His look told Rainbow he wasn’t kidding.

“Whatever.” She said as she left followed by Pinkie Pie who was on a quest for nuts.

“I’m sorry.” Spike said.

“No.” Shining Armor said. “It’s ok, I told Cadence for awhile you should know, and not find out like I did. If I didn’t marry her, I still wouldn’t know. As I’m now royalty I know.”

“You didn’t tell Twilight?” Rarity questioned. “She’s your sister! You need to tell her!”

“We were.” Armor said. “Before Celestia attacked the party, we would have told her that night. Rarity, Spike, you can’t tell any pony. Not even the other Elements.”

Rarity whimpered, she didn’t like keeping secrets. “I will only if you give your word that as soon as we get Twilight back you’ll tell her.” Rarity said.

Shining Armor nodded as he walked with Rarity and Spike following. Upon reaching her room Celestia was again in bed. When she saw Rarity, Shining Armor and Spike. Nurse Redheart left, so did any guards leaving it just Celestia, Cadence, Shining Armor, Rarity and Spike.

“I’m so sorry.” Celestia said her voice again weak. “We will make this right. Spike you are indeed a noble friend. Rarity…” but as she spoke her name the White unicorn ran out, she returned moments later with a blanket the one she made while Spike told her everything.

“Well.” Rarity said as she batted at her mane. “The old blanket was simply dreadful, I don’t see how you got any rest from that thing. So I made you a new one, I’m sure you’ll come clean with Twilight. Right?”

“Of course Rarity.” Princess Celestia said. “I’m not proud of my actions. Perhaps this is karma.”

“I’m going to get my sister back.” Shining Armor stated. “Cadence, keep an eye on Celestia.”

“Armor!” Cadence blurted. “I’m so sorry!”

“It’s ok Cadence.” Armor said. “You had your reasons to not tell me. I guess even your husband can’t be trusted.”

“No.” Cadence wailed.

“Blame not your wife.” Celestia scolded her voice the strongest it has been since Chyrsalis poisoned her. “Blame me Shining Armor, if you want to blame any pony.”

“I don’t.” Shining Armor said as he hugged his sobbing wife. “I just want Twilly back.”

“Then come on!” Rainbow Dash urged as she zoomed in. “We can always use of my awesome escape plans!”

“In a minute.” Shining Armor replied, he turned his attention to his wife. “It’s ok Cadence, I don’t blame you, or any pony.”

“Maybe.” Cadence said between sniffles. “Twilight was my favorite filly when she was younger. She still is I hated keeping this from her. When we get her back Auntie Tia, you need to tell her, or I will. I don’t care how much she will hate me, I can’t do this anymore.”

“What the hay is every pony talking about?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Best not get involved dear.” Rarity replied. “We need to concentrate on finding a way to get our Twilight back. Maybe Shining Armor will like one of your plans Rainbow dear.”

“Go Armor.” Cadence said as she nuzzled him. “Find Twilight, please. Bring her back home to us.”

“I will.” Shining Armor said as he went to Rainbow.

“So, I call this escape plan A.” Rainbow Dash said as she walked with the captain of the guard. “You provide the distract with your unicorn magic while I, in my awesomeness…” her voice faded as the stunt flyer and guard captain faded from sight.

“Rarity?” Cadence questioned. “Will you help me take care of Auntie Tia? She could use a ladies touch.”

“Of course dear.” Rarity replied as she went over to the Princess. Celestia smiled at the Alabaster mare and her neice. Feeling at ease finally Celestia drifted to sleep.

XXXXX

The Everfree forest was thankfully silent that night as Luna, Fluttershy, Shooting Star, Applejack and Zecora gathered redroot to heal the princess.

“The redroots we have many, a sickness or plight this will cure any.” Zecora said before lifting her basket while the others did the same. “While you must go back with haste, this must be ground into a paste.”

“Well Ah can help with that.” Applejack said as the group went back to Zecora’s hut.

Once at the hut Luna remained outside she looked to the horizon behind Zecora’s hut and say the outline of an old castle. A shudder went down her spine Nightmare Castle, that’s what she called it when she was Nightmare Moon.

Nightmare Moon, that name still dug up dread in everypony she would speak to, she still got distrustful looks from the nobles. All that from letting her feelings of jealousy get the better of her. She was banished by her own sister for a millemnium. When she returned she was promptly defeated by the elements of harmony. Celestia accepted her back, but that didn’t make her life any easier.

Being gone for a thousand years, well that does something to a pony. She had no friends other than her sister, even Cadence was reluctant at first. She still remembered the initial reaction she got on nightmare Night. They where afraid, though that fear vanished by the nights end. Only Twilight had the courage to reach out to her.

Twilight Sparkle, Luna knew she was destined for greatness. Maybe one day even become greater than Celestia, but that would be a long time coming. Then there was shooting Star. Luna smiled as she looked into the hut and saw her student helping Zecora.

Shooting Star was much like Twilight, she was good at magic, better than any unicorn, except for Twilight. Star did have her own faults though, she was very cautious, and had little faith in her magic. Yet, she was destined for great things, Luna was sure of this, that was the reason Luna took on her first student since returning from banishment.

She saw much in the mare, she reminded Luna of herself. Luna only hoped that shooting Star wouldn’t make the same errors she did.

Luna heard shooting Star approach, she smiled at her student, but she still had a worried expression. An expression Shooting Star read all too easily.

“I’m sure Princess Celestia is ok.” Shooting Star assured her.

“Tis not that why I am worried.” Luna murmured. “There is much we need to speak of when we return to Canterlot.”

“Princess Luna?” Shooting Star questioned looking at her mentor. “What aren’t you telling us?”

“All set!” Applejack announced as she came out Fluttershy behind her, she held a basket in her mouth. Luna’s horn glowed dark blue with power before the small group was teleported back to Canterlot.

XXXXX

In her chamber Celestia slept soundly, she was being attended to by Rarity and Cadence. The two mares did their best to make sure the Princess was comfortable. Though the poison she was infected with seemed to have slowed to a crawl in the Alicorn’s immune system.

While Rarity helped she held questions in the back of her mind. She was told by Spike that Celestia had plans for Twilight. Great plans, plans Rarity wasn’t sure she liked. True Rarity wasn’t Twilight, but Twilight was her friend.

“So how much of it is true?” Rarity asked looking at Cadence.

“All of it.” Cadence replied looking down. “I wanted to tell Twilight, I really did, I was afraid she would hate me. She still might, this could change everything.”

“Or nothing.” Rarity pointed out. “Twilight is a mare, she can make her own choices. She might not even accept this as her destiny. Have you ever thought she might want to make her own?”

“Of course we did.” Cadence argued her voice starting to rise.

Celestia moaned weakly as her eyes opened. She saw the tense look on both faces around her. She looked at Rarity who looked at her with great skepticism.

“Mark my words.” Celestia murmured. “I will tell Twilight, the choice will be hers and hers alone.”

“I hope so.” Rarity said. Before she could continue there was a flash of light and Luna, Shooting Star, Fluttershy and Applejack where in the room. Fluttershy held a basket in her mouth and she quickly Celestia’s side.

“You need to eat this paste stuff.” Fluttershy advised. Holding the basket to Celestia. The sun princess took a small taste before making a sour face. “Come on, it only tastes bad because it’s good for you.”

“Tia always was a picky eater.” Luna teased. Celestia frowned at her sister before eating the rest of the sour tasting paste.

“How do you feel Princess?” Shooting Star asked.

“Better.” Celestia responded. “You all have my thanks.” She got up to exit her private chamber but stumbled.

“Easy there Princess.” Applejack warned. “Ya ain’t up ta par yet. Why don’t Rarity an I go find Shining Armor fer ya.”

“Thank you Applejack.” Celestia said gratefully as she sat down Luna was quickly at her beloved sisters side. “I’m fine Luna, just tired from everything. Cadence is right, the secret we have kept needs to end.”

“What secrets?” Shooting Star asked.

“All will be told when and only when Twilight Sparkle is safely recovered.” Princee Luna said.

Shooting Star opened her mouth to spit out an angry retort, but a comforting hoof on her back made her stop. She looked at Fluttershy.

“It’s ok,” The butter colored pegasus assured. “You just need to show a teensy bit of patience.”

Shooting Star grumbled as she sat down, she didn’t like the fact the rulers of Equistria where keeping secrets. She wouldn’t be a bit surprise when they all came back to bit them sooner or later.

XXXXX

Applejack walked with Rarity, as the duo looked for Shining Armor and Rainbow Dash. The farm pony noticed how Rarity looked, her normally perfect coat was dotted with patches of unbrushed fur. Her mane was dishelved, and that worried Applejack.

“Ya alright Rarity?” Applejack asked.

“Of course dear.” Rarity said with a nervous laugh. “Why do you ask?”

“Well,” Applejack began. “yer name is kinda messy, an so is yer coat. What gives.”

“Really dear.” Rarity replied. “I’ve more important things on my mind than my appereance.”

Applejack stopped dead in her tracks, as did Rarity who relized what she just said.

“Ok, what’s going on?” Applejack questioned looking right at Rarity.

“Wh..what do you mean?” Rarity stammered.

“Ya jus said something was more important than how ya looked,” Applejack accused. “Ya never do that!”

“Well,” Rarity began but she hung her head. “I’ve got a lot on my mind Apple dear.”

As Applejack was about to question further a sweet harmonic voice with a french accent inturupted them.

“Pardon Moi,” The voice asked. “I hate to disrupt, but zere eez a knocking sound from a closet.”

The two mares looked to the third who was slender and tall, she had a white coat and her mane was streaked with pink and white. Rarity noticed her as Fleur de Lis, a companion to Fancy Pants, though Rarity was dying to know how the two knew each other.

Rarity first met Fleur when she went to Canterlot and met Fancy Pants for the first time. After the garden party that her friends crashed, Rarity was sure she wouldn’t hear from anypony there ever again. Yet Fleur and Fancy Pants where sure to make it known they enjoyed her company.

“Fleur,” rarity asked. “Is that you?”

“Oui,” Fleur replied, then she gasped. “Madam Rarity?! Eez good to see you! Could you and your friend, Madam Applejack, help me?”

“Course sugarcube!” Applejack replied and the two followed the high class mare to a closet door.

“I hear thumping noises,” Fleur stated. “I fear zere could be somepony seeking to harm me.”

“Well Ah don’t…” Applejack was cut off as a banging sound was heard, like somepony was banging against the door.

“See!” Fleur de Lis pointed out. “Zere eez somepony in zere!”

“Alright,” Applejack started. “Rarity, keep lil miss fancy safe. I’m gonna open it.”

Rarity nodded as Applejack opened the door. Out fell a bound and gagged Clean Sweep. Applejack removed the gag as Fleur and Rarity undid the ropes.

“The Princess! Twilight! Please oh please tell me they are ok!” clean Sweep said frantically.

“Oh sugar, we got a lot to catch you up on.” Applejack said as she lead the way back to Celestia’s chambers.

Once there the princess’ personal maid was told everything that happened. From Chrysalis’ return, to Celestia’s rampage, to Celestia’s poisoning and Twilight’s abduction.

“How could this happen?” Clean Sweep asked as she fell to the ground sobbing.

“She took your place.” Celestia said as she comforted her maid. “Chrysalis is a devious one, bent on revenge, no matter who she hurts, she doesn’t care as long as she gets to me.”

“Why does zis Chrysalis hate you so Princess?” Fleur asked.

“That is a long story.” Celestia sighed.

She heard a commotion and Rainbow Dash came flying in crying out.

“We found her!”

A murmur of voices where heard all of them relieved.

“Is she coming?” Celestia asked.

“Yeah.” Rainbow replied. “She’s with your head maid, be back in a jiffy!” and Rainbow Dash zoomed out again.

“Oh no.” Clean Sweep sobbed as she buried her face in her hooves. “It’s her!”

“Chrysalis.” Celestia snarled.

“Don’t you worry,” Applejack comforted. “We’ll protect you.”

In the chamber ponies ran around. Fleur, Rarity and Applejack guarded the more timid ones like Clean Sweep and Fluttershy. Pinkie Pie and Shooting star where with their friends, though shooting Star lingered closer to the Princesses. Celestia, Cadence and Luna stood in the center none of them knowing what to expect.

A whooshing sound was heard as Rainbow Dash flew in following by the thundering of hooves as Shining Armor, Clean Sweep, Twilight and a half dozen guards ran in. Everypony noticed Twilight had a cloak on. Celestia’s eyes narrowed at the sight of Clean Sweep.

“You lack ethic Chrysalis.” Celestia hissed looking at the fake Clean Sweep.

As the imposter was about to argue, the real Clean Sweep stepped forward very timidly she was flanked by Applejack and Rarity.

“So you figured it out.” Chrysalis said dropping her disguise.

“What did you do to my student?” Celestia growled as she slowly moved towards Chrysalis.

In response Chrysalis pulled back the cloak and Twilight just stood there. Celestia looked at her student and gasped. Cadence did the same and almost burst into tears.

“You really are a monster.” Cadence hissed.

“I fit the title that was given to me,” Chrysalis said bitterly. “The only reason she isn’t ripping everypony inhere to shred is because I’m forbidiing her for doing so. She’s feeling rage, much like you did Celestia. I’ll take joy in watching Twilight destroy you.”

Celestia looked at her student and the black soulless pits that where her eyes. While behind her, Cadence was deep in concentration.

“Enough of this,” Chrysalis proclaimed. “Twilight! Destroy them!”

Author's Note:

Whew this was a long one. Sorry about the gaps but working 6 days a week and 60 hours a week doesn't leave one with much free time. Like I said this is a long one my longest to date. Hopefully it will be worth the wait. Comments welcome.