• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,062 Views, 29 Comments

Research Logs - Coppercoil



Twilight finds a book written by a unicorn long before the founding of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 29
 1,062

The Forest

The Forest

Entry 97-6 After my inquiry with my new associates, it had been agreed upon to rest. The night was dark. With the canopy of branches and leaves above, the light of the moon had failed to pierce through the foliage leaving no sign of light but the embers of our extinguished campfire. Yet even within this void of light, I had the strangest sensation that I was watched. I know well what it is like to be watched, having caught my assistant sneaking within the lab, and the king's spies following me to detect and report any sign of treason, so being watched was not what felt strange. What felt strange was, I felt comforted. It seemed not like I was being monitored, but protected. I felt a presence I could only describe as "motherly."

Entry 97-7 I awoke before my party had, giving me time to make the previous recording. Everypony seemed to have rested well. The time was late morning as the sun began to be truly showing through the bush. The songs of birds filled the air and provided a sweet melody as we packed to continue out venture. We continued West into the forest.

I had heard so much of the dangers that lied within these very woods, yet have not so much as seen a common predator, much less these 'monsters' of legend I've heard about from the nearby villages. I made sure to acquaint myself with the lore of the forest, if only to give a broad idea of the danger. I've heard stories of lions with tails of scorpions and bat wings. I've heard of wolves born of wood. I was even told of a chicken, whose lower half was that of a snake, and to look into its eyes, would turn one to stone. I took all these tales in with mind open. But I fear more of the common danger.

Entry 97-8 The common danger has come. Upon our tread through a clearing, we were met with a bear. I was frightened to say the least. It was huge with brown fur and what appeared to be blood dripping from its maw. It stood on its hind legs, standing at three times the height of any one of us. The roar was so powerful I could feel it vibrate the earth below me.

"What should we do sir?" Steadfast said.

"I suppose we could overwhelm it." said Wind breaker, "Hey! Do either of you know any spells that could help offensively?" he directed towards my apprentice and I.

"I suppose we could hold it down or back with telekinesis." I gave.

"Wait!" Vernal shouted drawing our attention, "Look." He gestured to the bear, which had not advanced upon us.

"What?" Wind Breaker asked,

"She's not attacking." His voice was calm.

As I examined the bear, "She" was not moving from her spot, Though her roar was loud I could see its true intent. "Let's back up." I said. As we did, the bear ceased its roar, relaxing before stepping off, back into the bush. "How did you know it was a women?" I asked Vernal.

"Over there, by the trees." he nudged his head off behind the bear. I could see two silhouettes, matching the shape of their mother.

"Those... those are her cubs?" I asked.

He simply nodded. His expression was unreadable.

"If we attacked we would have..." That's all I could say, the horror of what I could have done. What I would have done. I would of acted in fear and done something quite unspeakable. If Vernal weren't here was my only thought as we walked past the clearing, from an unspeakable act thankfully not committed.

Entry 97-9 After exiting the clearing, Steadfast claimed he could hear the running waters of a river.I heard nothing. He lead us to the sound until we could all hear it. The air felt cooler as we approached. The river was wide, and through dark water, I failed to see the bottom. It cut through the forest, causing a break in the canopy that allowed us to see the sky.

"We should follow this river." Steadfast spoke plainly. "We move up the river, and if we don't find anything, we have a way back to this point. From here we can find the clearing, then the campsite, then the way back to from where we entered."

Bounty jumped head first into the water, causing a large splash. She stayed under the water for a moment too long leading us to worry. I looked to Vernal, who seemed calm, if not, annoyed. Bounty broke the water, whipping her mane out of her face before shouting, "Come on in! The Water's fine!" She dived back in.

I thought why not? and removed my cap and cloak before walking slowly into the waters. I had not yet learned to swim, with now large bodies of water near the castle, and chose to stay in the shallower area. The water was cool and relaxing. I felt calm as the water rushed past my legs. This calm was broken rather quickly by a...

"CANNONBALL!" Wind Breaker shouted, And the following splash all but shattered my momentary peace.

Standing in the bank, with my mane and coat soaked, I watched as Steadfast and Vernal were collecting and filtering water for the voyage, their faces like stone as they focused on the simple task. My apprentice sat quietly, with a pondering look upon her face. "What is it?" I asked her.

Before my question could be answered, another splash came down upon me. I turned around and saw Wind Breaker doing a backstroke with his wings, whistling nonchalantly, and Bounty, trying, and failing, to repress her giggling. With no conclusive evidence as to who splashed me, I did the only logical thing...

I splashed them both. The resulting "Splash war" was something else. Bounty dived back down and broke the water with such force, it splashed us both. I used magic to launch balls and sheets of water at them. But wind breaker, whether or not he splashed first, starting this battle, what he did finished it. He flew high into the air before spinning back and smashing into the water with such force, the tidal wave created not only drenched Bounty and I, but all withing the surrounding area, including some "collateral damage" to the others.

We continued the trek up the river in an eerie, awkward silence. Steadfast and Vernal took point. Bounty and my apprentice in the middle, and I was in the back with Wind Breaker. We held our heads low in shame. We didn't talk until night had fallen and we had set up camp.

Steadfast had been the first to speak."Sir, when you were in the air, had you seen anything?" he asked wind breaker.

"Like what?"

"Like a plume of smoke perhaps?"

"Now that you mention it, I believe I did. It was faint, but definite. Why do you ask?"

"I smelled smoke on the wind, coming from up river."

I spoke up, "Some survivors perhaps."

"Maybe..." Steadfast replied, tone full of doubt. "Maybe"...

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment