• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,062 Views, 29 Comments

Research Logs - Coppercoil



Twilight finds a book written by a unicorn long before the founding of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 29
 1,062

Smoke and Mirrors

Some Time to Read

The party had lasted into the night. Barely any of the sweets that filled the library were even touched. Whole cakes so pristine that Pinkie had decided to return them to Sugar-Cube Corner and get them under the display.

"Now, about where you'll be sleeping tonight." Twilight started. "I've thought about it and decided that it would be best to have you stay in the basement, but it's a little crowded right now, so I'm going to move a few things tomorrow, but for now, you could stay on the couch." Twilight pointed at a small blue couch.

Trixie stared at it a moment, confused.

"Oh don't worry, it turns into a bed."

Trixie looked doubtful. "It does..."

"Here, watch." Twilight's horn glowed as she lifted the couch in the air. It glowed before a bright light flashed as the couch stretched and warped, contorting into a bed. She had dropped it back down, looking out of place, being a bed in the middle of the library. Twilight sighed, "There, goodnight."

"That was astounding!" Trixie was astonished. "I knew you were great with magic, doing what you had done with the Ursa Minor, but that!" Trixie pointed at the bed, "You did that with such ease. How?"

"Well, I study and practice nearly everyday, and my cutie mark does represent magic." Twilight gestured to her flank. "Doesn't yours too?"

Trixie lowered her head. "It does, but more in the matter of illusions and petty party practices and parlor tricks. This wand," Trixie points at her mark, "Represents a magician's tool, to distract the audience while he performs the real feat where none can see. Here, allow me to give an exposition." Trixie stepped to the coat rack where her hat and cape were pinned. She lowered the hat with a teal glow, grabbing it with her hoof, and putting it on. She stood tall, up atop the table. "Now..." She cleared her throat. "Prepare yourself for the amazing spectacles of The Great, and Powerful Trixie!" Trixie waved her hoof into the air as petite fireworks exploded all around, yet, with a faint noise that seemed as distance, making the fireworks seem far away and grand, not as small as they really were. Trixie removed her hat and moved it around to the invisible crowd, revealing it to be empty. Trixie reached into the hat, with a face showing confusion and strain, "Now where could it be?" She said in a tone that seemed whispered, but clearly audible. With a face of delighted surprise, "Aha!" Trixie removed a long black stick with a glimmering star at the end, mirroring the one within her cutie mark. The star appeared to be gem, shining a beautiful spectrum as the light hit it. "Now, for my first trick, I shall pull a dragon out of my hat!"

Twilight looked to Spike, watching the show engrossed. Twilight returned her gaze to the "magician" performing upon a "Stage".

Trixie seemed so pleased, so immersed in a world of her own. Trixie tapped her hat with the wand, and collapsed it against the ground revealing Spike, standing with the same astonished look he was wearing when Twilight looked at him.

Spike examined himself, confused as to how he had appeared on stage with Trixie, And before he could speak a word, Trixie pulled her hat from under him, flipping him into the air. Spike let out a short yelp before Trixie swiftly cast her hat over him, leaving nothing behind.

Twilight looked around, with Spike nowhere to be seen. Twilight looked back at Trixie, who was now holding a bouquet of purple roses, wrapped in a green linen.

Trixie stepped down from the table, presenting the flowers to Twilight at her hooves.

Twilight examined it before it burst into green flames. Spike stood tall, arising covered in ashes with a stature of exposition, and pride with fireworks appearing just as before. "Trixie." Twilight said with eyes of shock, "That was amazing."

Trixie smiled, bowing with a wave of her hat, "Thank you, thank you, you're too kind."

Twilight's face shifted into an expression of confusion, "Wait, Trixie?"

"Yes Twilight?" Trixie was placing her hat upon the coat rack.

"Why didn't you do that when you came to Ponyville the first time, instead of... you know, challenging everyone?"

"Because it wasn't my first time here."

"Huh?"

"Like I said, my family had traveled nearly all across Equestria, I, as but a filly, had visited this humble town once before. I had even performed the very act you had just witnessed. To do so again would be absolutely mundane, I would be offering nothing more than a sense of nostalgia to the ponyfolk who deserve so much more. I only displayed it to you as you were not of Ponyville, or any small town of which I performed in. I had learned you grew up in Canterlot from Princess Luna."

"Then why insult them."

"My arrogance was but a ruse, an attempt to gather challenges at skills and feats of power. I was hoping that most of all that a pony like yourself would challenge me. Hoping to show you up, if only in appearance, as a greater unicorn of magic. That's why my biggest claim was 'Greatest Unicorn in Ponyville', followed by 'Greatest in all of Equestria'. No matter what great feat, I would make an illusion to match, and even show-up your performance, much the way you had when you had challenged me. I became angry when you had defeated the Ursa Minor, proving me a fraud and lesser pony. I couldn't have planned for a couple of foolish foals to go off into your dreaded Everfree forest." Trixie lowered her head in shame, "After that... 'incident', I had become so angry, at snips, snails, you, all of Ponyville! I went to retrieve the Alicorn Amulet, another cousin had revealed to me it's location. I made haste, and obtained it with some ill-begotten gold. I swore revenge, and had the means to follow through. I would shame you as I believed you had I. When I had the amulet, I was so arrogant, proud, blind. I would have done anything to reek havoc upon this town, and all who reside within."

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know. I didn't know who you were, what you had done, or how you came to be like this. I am so sorry." Twilight's eyes began to water.

"Don't be, I forgave you quite a while ago. What you had done was purely justified." Trixie gave a half-grin, "Justice, It was illusions that had lead me into this mess, and illusions that had stopped me from my terror upon Ponyville. That just defines justice. However, I'm sure this town has yet to forgive me for my cruel act."

"Then apologize."

"You speak as though it can be done easily." Trixie sighed.

"Simple maybe, but not easy. I'll help."

"And how?"

"I'll represent you, the ponies here may be a little shortsighted, but they can be reasonable if dealt with by someone they trust." Twilight's face glows with inspiration, "That's it! Me and the girls will stand beside you as you make a formal apology. We'll explain what caused you to act that way, and support you."

Trixie's look of defeat was replaced by caution. "Are you sure? I mean, do you really believe we may succeed?"

"Positive! Now, why don't we go visit them and tell them the plan."

"No."

"What? Why?"

"I think it would be best you go yourself, I don't feel comfortable returning outside, not just yet."

Twilight resisted the urge to argue and and instead nodded, "Okay, but we're meeting here tonight to discuss in better detail."

"Don't worry I won't be leaving. And I won't be alone."

"You won't?"

"Of course not, Spike will accompany myself."

"I will?" Spike asked.

"Oh won't you please?" Trixie pleaded.

Spike shrugged, "If it's okay with you Twilight."

Twilight shrugged, herself, "I guess I don't see why not." Twilight adorned a coat as it seemed it would rain soon. "We'll be back tonight." Twilight stepped out the door.

Trixie watched as Twilight walked of to the Carousel Boutique. "Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"Could you get the book, I wish to do some reading while we wait."