• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,062 Views, 29 Comments

Research Logs - Coppercoil



Twilight finds a book written by a unicorn long before the founding of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 29
 1,062

Friends...

Friends...

Pinkie waited on the platform of the train station, tapping her hoof impatiently upon the wooden floor. "Come on...Come on..." Pinkie produced a golden pocket watch from her mane of infinite wonders. "Come on already!"

"Pinkie, why'd ya'll bring us here again?" Applejack watched as pinkie fidgeted and squirmed anxiously.

"Because..." Pinkie, exasperated, said, "Twilight's gonna be here any minute, and I want to surprise her." Pinkie was bouncing off the walls with anticipation, figuratively, and literally.

"And how do you know she's gonna be here now?" Rainbow asked, annoyed.

"Because my Pinkie sense, that's why!" Pinkie responded.

Rainbow Dash was left to force her hoof into her brow. While the "Pinkie Sense" was never a satisfying answer, no questions could be asked to get one beyond that.

"I don't see what all the fuss is about." Rarity put in, "I mean, she liveshere. And she was gone for not but a few days. Surely you must all see this is over the top!"

The rest of the group were left to stare at Rarity. This was not the expected opinion from Rarity of all ponies.

"I understand that seems... out of character for me, but as Twilight's friends, we should know by now, this is not the kind of 'welcome home' Twilight would want. She's always been a bit of a minimalist and we should respect that. So, Pinkie, I think it best to put the cannon away."

Pinkie eyes Rarity with suspicion, "How did you-"

"Oh please! Pinkie, was it not you who said, and I quote, I don't go anywhere without my party cannon!' "

Pinkie lowered her head in resignation, "Fine I won't use the cannon."

"Look!" Rainbow Dash Pointed out a hoof as she lifted into the air, "She's here!"

The five mare all looked in the direction Dash was pointing, and sure enough, a train approached along the railroad tracks. The train's whistle could be heard in the distance.

"Woo-HOO! Let's get this party started!" Pinkie was pushing her cannon.

"PINKIE!" The ponies chorused.

Pinkie dropped her head and pushed the cannon away.

The brakes screeched before the locomotive had come to a final stop. The doors opened in unison. The cars were mostly empty save for a pair of ponies and a dragon, getting off of the back car. The ponies rushed to greet Twilight, slowing down at the sight of a powder blue unicorn donning a purple cape and hat strewn with stars. Their running had become a steady, examining walk at the notice of Trixie.

Trixie had held her hat over her face concealing the obvious. Everyone recognized her, and none would forget soon. Twilight walked, chest up, while Trixie attempted to hide the shame that was her identity.

"Oh! uh...Hi Twilight!" Rainbow Dash attempted to break the awkward moment. She was obviously unnerved as she scratched her mane and failed to make any eye-contact with either Twilight or Trixie. "How was... how was Canterlot?"

None of the ponies who looked comfortable, especially Pinkie, who looked agitated, angry even! This concerned Twilight at Pinkie was often the most welcoming.

"Hi girls!" Twilight spoke with unwavering, albeit false, confidence. "You remember Trixie, right?"

Fluttershy was looking at the ground, kicking at seemingly nothing. "Hi Trixie..." Her voice was barely audible, "How are..."

"How are things?" Rarity spoke up, hoping to spare Fluttershy.

Trixie could not be seen behind her hat.

"Trixie, in hope of redeeming herself, had become a student of Luna."

The surprise could be seen on all their faces, excluding Pinkie, still sullen.

"That's pretty cool... right gals?" Rainbow offered.

The girls simply nodded and hummed in agreement.

"And," Twilight added, "She'll be staying with me."

At this, Pinkie's face changed to surprise, contemplation, and then joy! Pinkie gasped before running away then coming back. "Can't forget this!" and running off again.

Those remaining were left confused as to the actions of Pinkie Pie, but quickly shrugged as to the fact, they often were. Returning to the matter at hoof, the four looked again to Twilight and Trixie.

"Sooo..." Rainbow began. "Welcome to Ponyville." Rainbow Dash extended a hoof.

Trixie approached slowly, still making an effort of concealing herself behind starry cap. She lifted her hoof to meet Rainbows. The contact was slight, and the gentle shake more so. The quiet mare stepped back once more.

Rarity stepped forward. "Yes, welcome to Ponyville. You may find me at my boutique, and know, you are always welcome." Rarity acted without any sign of notice to the awkward nature of this meeting, and accepted Trixie as friendly as Twilight could have hoped, despite Trixie's past transgressions towards her. "Now, I simply must be returning. I've been working on an ensemble to match that fine piece of jewelry Odsanends had graced upon me." She began to walk away.

Trixie lifted her head at the sound of her cousin's name, revealing her face. "May I see it?"

Rarity was stopped in her tracks. She turned back, obviously surprised. "Of course. But not now, it's only in the drafting stages at the moment. Not much more than cloth. The true magic is yet to come."

Trixie nodded in agreement. "I hope to see it soon."

"All in due time darling." Rarity left, elated.

Applejack was the next. "Ah best be off as well. Ah need to get back home. Now don't be afraid to visit the farm. If'n you want, ah could fix you up some applesauce." With a wink, Applejack was gone, leaving Trixie blushing.

"I'll be sure to see you around." Rainbow Dash bolted off into the sky.

Fluttershy nodded to Trixie before leaving herself.

Trixie returned the gesture and left, following Twilight.


The walk through Ponyville was quiet, but not pleasant. Upon the faces of everypony was every gesture from fear to curiosity, hatred to pity, and accusation to utter disregard. But the silence was deafening. Not even the sound of crickets was to break the absolute quiet that was Ponyville.

Twilight saw that Trixie kept her head down as she watched her hooves. Good. Twilight thought, At least she won't have to see them. The library was in sight. Twilight was pleased to know this "walk of shame" would be over soon for Trixie. The door opened with a slight creak, it was darker than usual. In this, Twilight could see her hoof in front of her own face. "Don't worry Trixie, here you can be alone if you want. Now where is that light."

"SURPRISE!" With a flash of light and an explosion of confetti, the walls were covered in decorations. Food was laid across tables not their before. Across the library hung a familiar banner saying, "Welcome to Ponyville."

"Pinkie what are you doing!" Twilight shouted, frustrated.

"Well..." Pinkie took in a deep breath. "When I said that I knew when you were coming back I planned a surprise at the train station and filled my party cannon ready to go off when you got off the train but then Rarity said that you wouldn't like that so I got sad then angry then happy when you said Trixie would be staying because that meant that I could throw a party still so I brought the cannon here and hung up that banner when we were welcoming Princess Celestia but she couldn't come because of the parasprites and I tore off the part that just said "Celest" and got food from the bakery and now..." Pinkie stopped to breath, "I threw this party for Trixie!"

Twilight looked at the the food. and was about to retort to the argument that wasn't happening before...

"Thank you." Trixie said. "This all looks very nice... Thank you." Trixie walked to a table and lifted a yellow cupcake. When she ate it, she seemed so happy. Twilight could see her eyes watering.

"Now you enjoy everything while I go get some more ponies to party with us." Pinkie was just at the door before.

"Wait!" Trixie pleaded, "Please just... stay here, just us."

Pinkie stopped, She could see Trixie's desire to be alone. "Okey-dokey, just us.