• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 1,064 Views, 29 Comments

Research Logs - Coppercoil



Twilight finds a book written by a unicorn long before the founding of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 29
 1,064

Going home

How Gods Are Born

Twilight looked out the window of the locomotive into the night. The passing of shadows that were treas and other foliage appeared only as blurs and streaks of black. The only thing truly discernible was the sky. The bright magnificent moon seemed so smooth, like a pearl,shining brilliantly. The sky that had once been a flat black before the return of Luna, was now a beautiful sight as blues and purples streaked the sky making it seem as a shroud upon the world, with stars giving openings to a true light that lay beyond the mystery that is the night.

Trixie cleared her throat. "Why is it that we are going to Ponyville of all places?"

"What's wrong? It's not like we have anywhere better to be."

"Are you insane? We are leaving behind us the largest collection of Equestrian knowledge."

"We have what we need, besides, we can go back anytime."

Trixie pouted as she crossed her forelegs. "Fine..."

Twilight thought of something to cheer her up. "Spike, could you read the book to us?"

At this, Trixie's ears shot up.

"Sure Twilight." Spike was holding a book in his arms that present company was incapable of handling. He dropped flat on the floor, causing Trixie to wince, before opening it. "Let's see here..." Spike cleared his throat before reading.

Log -97-
How God Are born

Entry 97-1 My apprentice and I are planning upon venturing into the forest near the Castle. Due to recent events of ponies disappearing, the king had demanded an answer. I gave no hesitation in my volunteering as head explorer, leading an expedition through woods. The king considered me valuable for my magic and denied my request for being, "too great an asset to lose." I explained to the king that my magic will protect me in my venture. My apprentice insisted upon accompanying me I considered leaving her without word, but I understood that I would be lost without her. She has helped so much, so I agreed on her assistance.

Entry 97-2 I have prepared my supplies, consisting of food, water, and some necessary tools. The volunteering party, upon my request, consists of all three races. Needless to say, the tension is unavoidable. However, they had volunteered already with knowledge of the organization of the group. Along with my apprentice and I, two pegusi, Wind Breaker and Steadfast, and two Earth ponies, Vernal and Bountiful Harvest (Bounty), will be entering into the woods, hoping to find those lost. The pegusi hope to find some lost soldiers that had gone on their own mission to survey and record the terrain for strategic advantage. Over who? Every inquiry is met with 'whoever'. The earth ponies had lost some children desperate enough to search for food within. I had assumed that they had the most food, making it themselves. Are they being robbed? Are they giving more food than they can? We leave in the morning.

Entry 97-3 The beginning of our journey was as expedient and efficient as I hoped, while a bit somber. Everypony had kept their head down, focusing on whatever task was to done at the moment. The time in between was silence. Nopony would speak a word, not even to their friends. The lack of any noise beside the buckling of fastenings and the moving of cargo was so complete, I nearly jumped out of my coat when Steadfast had approached me from behind. and said "Ready whenever you are sir." The professional tone of his voice was nothing but that of a soldier. And to call me sir...

Spike looked out the window. On the horizon, in front of the moon, was the silhouette of what could only be the town of Ponyville. Spike was relieved at the sight.

"Is something wrong Spike?" Twilight asked.

"No not really, I'm just glad to be home."

Twilight was confused, "Canterlot was out home once too."

"Well yeah, but Twilight, all our friends are here. Canterlot's nice and all, but really, what's so great about it."

Twilight smiled. She looked at the time. "You should get some sleep, it'll still be a few hours until were home. I'll wake you when we get there." Twilight tucked the dragon in beside her. We should get some sleep too Trixie."

"Twilight I... I wanted to thank you again." Trixie said.

"For what?"

"For helping me when I had done those terrible things in your town. For forgiving me. Even though the amulet truly did corrupt me, but the darkness that lied within me was my own. I had such scorn for you. For showing me up, when it was only your intention to save your town from destruction. Destruction that would have been my fault."

"That's what friends do."

"Friends..."