• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 1,452 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Equal to or Greater than Magic - Fanon Canon



Twilight casts a spell on Spike and tells him to go talk to as many ponies as he can.

  • ...
9
 34
 1,452

Wondering Dragon

When Spike had finally made his way out of the Everfree Forest and back into Ponyville, he suddenly noticed how hungry the experiences of the day had made him. His hunger was strong enough that he felt that he was owed more then one or two of those gemstones Twilight had promised him, so he decided head on back to the library and help himself to a well-deserved reward, when all of a sudden, something happened that made his trip back home redundant.


A strange feeling, followed by a quick flash of colour and a pair of gorgeous looking rubies manifested straight in front of Spike's eyes, infusing him with a great lust as soon as he laid eyes upon them. It wasn't until he had completely devoured them that he pondered the reason of them being there. As with all strange things happening today, he reasoned that it must have had something to do with the spell upon him, but he wasn't sure how it exactly made it work like that. Maybe Twilight had made certain modifications when she cast it upon him that had picked up on his hunger and rewarded him for all the ponies he had spoken to.


But if there was one reward Spike felt that he was more then entitles to, would simply be to have just a few words with the special pony he had been pursuing all day. He suddenly realised how pointless for those snacks to be delivered to him there on the spot, for the library was the place he had been directed to next. As he sat and wondered what to do, something happened to the dragon that made sure he wouldn't be going back to the library yet.


He felt another sensation brewing within him, but this one he knew exactly what this one meant, and prepared himself accordingly, rearing up and taking a deep breath emitted a blast of green fire from his mouth that formed into a scrolled up letter. Intrigued by this sudden turn of events, Spike opened up the letter and began to read its contents.


Dear Spike.

My my, you have been busy haven't you. You would not believe what's been going on back here. I've been getting all sorts of feelings from our little spell, all feeding into some kind of collective conscious, it's all very interesting, but I wouldn't want to bore you with the little details.

These feelings are unlike anything I've ever felt before; there's a whole range I can only guess at the amount of ponies you've been talking to, there's this weird urge to go work after a long day of exercising, some mess of rambling incoherency involving punch, a strange dumb feeling, indifference over vocal proficiency, a very morbid sense of humour, a dang feeling of loss, and what I can only describe as tasting like cider.

I hope you've been enjoying it, but the fun doesn't stop here. Now based on what all this research is telling me, you are now likely going to be heading on your way back here, well I got news for you; please don't, there's still other ponies you've haven't spoken to yet. Now I understand you don't want to go and talk to the whole of Ponyville, that be pretty tired, I know, but where you should go next is Sugarcube Corner, have a nice chat with our friend there, then head on to Sweet Apple Acres and talk to the gang there. After you've done that (and don't be afraid to have more nice chats with anypony you happen to run into along the way), then you have permission to come on home, a certain somepony's here, we're gonna have a big meeting, discuss all these strange new feelings everypony's feelings. I know it all seems so daunting, but chin up, all these new feelings are making me really excited, which means there'll be more gemstones in it for you, why you cannot tell how hard it to write all this down in an orderly manner, just keeping my hooves straight is hard enough.

Anyway, look forward to getting more of these feelings from you, so don't let me down now, okay soldier.

Yours' faithfully.

T. S. Eliot


Rolling up the letter, Spike now had a lot to think about. If he wasn't so interested in maintaining his position as her number one assistant, he might have marched straight back to the library and given her a piece of his mind, especially since the pony he sought was now there. But then was another strange determination within his little dragon form that wanted to proceed with the task anointed upon him, after all the gemstones had settled his stomach for now.


As for Sugarcube Corner, the pony that resided there was known to be incredibly eccentric by many standards, but this spell he was under had made more then a few familiar ponies just as eccentric. And Sweet Apple Acres, well he had already spoken to Apple Bloom but there were a lot more apples then her, and considering likely other pony encounters he would run into, the little dragon did the math and reckoned that he had at least ten more eccentric conversations to have with ten more eccentric ponies. And when all was done, the only pony he really wanted to talk to would be the last one on the list, making him curse the ironic luck bestowed on him.


But not in the mood to call it quits now, Spike made the hard decision to do as instructed and get on with his task, thinking eagerly of the rewards at the end. So, discarding the letter in a fiery breath of magic, he turned and went in the direction of Sugarcube Corner, a small eagerness building in him at the effect the spell would have on the pony who resided there.


Spike imagined that he would be running into some pony he didn't know between here and Sugarcube Corner. He had become pretty good at this by now, but his hunch turned out to be wrong, for he didn't end up running into one random pony, but two. There were two Pegasi, and they stood out particularly well, even if the spell Spike was under hadn't forced him upon them. Seeing two ponies as a plus, he decided to make an introduction, but before he could one of them, a colt already brought him into the conversation.


"Hey that's the dragon right there." He exclaimed and was upon Spike in a flash.


"Um, hi." Spike said, not expecting this at all, unless the spell was getting cleverer.


"Settle down Soarin', ya blighter." The mare scolded him off.


"Settle down, I can't do that." Soarin' barked back. "Spitfire, this is the one who gave her the idea, I know it is."


Spitfire took a moment to analyse Spike's appearance, and from the way Soarin' was keeping a close eye on him, he reckoned this may have had something to do with his earlier conversation with Rainbow Dash.


"Well then, if it is him." She finally said. "I have to say… thank you." And with that the Pegasus offered Spike a hoof, which he did his best to shake.


"What Spitfire, why are you taking her side on this." Soarin' pleaded at their action.


"Because, private!" Hr eyes left Spike and were upon her companion immediately. "I wouldn't be seen dead flying alongside some unheathen little mare such as… Rainbow Dash." She uttered Spike's friend with bitter loathing in her voice.


"Hey." Spike said getting defensive. "What've you got against Rainbow Dash?"


"What have I got against that tramp?" Spitfire yelled at Spike now, forgetting her previous action. "You would be too if you headed the toughest flying squad in Equestria, and some young little upstart decided they don't see you as worthy competition."


Now Spike was feeling slightly remorseful, he imagined that what he said to Rainbow Dash must have stuck.


"I was under the impression I had you to thank for telling her the Wonderbolts were not for her. And something you said must have stuck, but now she simply refuses to acknowledge us as anything more then low-class slowpokes." She replied deep in anger.


"Oh I better have another talk with her." Spike mentioned to himself, though with the all the business he had before him, would he even have time.


"Don't you bother, little dragon." Spike assured him. "This is a personal thing we got here. I'll show the Element of Loyalty how to properly conduct itself."


"Are you supposed to know that?" Spike asked concerned.


"If your impressions of me are any lower." Spitfire said sinisterly. "You're going to be finding yourself down there with them. Understand?"


"Yes." Spike uttered gulping and his tiny form shaking.


"Good." She said, before moving back quite a distance from him. "Now come on Soarin', we've got… works to do."


Soarin' understood her, so giving a half-hearted farewell to the dragon, he joined her, and the two launched into the sky, becoming mere flicks in the distance almost as soon as Spike looked up.


The still shaking dragon managed to recover from his bout of worry, and sincerely hoped that he hadn't got his fellow Pegasus friend into any trouble. But pushing the thought far from his mind, he returned to the task he had yet to do, before another thought of Twilight finding out about his conversation with the Wonderbolts and he decided to pick up the pace in his step, hoping the next pony he spoke with wouldn't be so intimidating.


At last Spike came to Sugarcube Corner, and the simple look of it was enough to make him realise that he was in desperate need of something other than gemstones to eat, and maybe something cool to drink. Now he felt like he was he could finally use this spell to earn himself something along those lines, a little selfish thought but after all that he had been through today he didn't feel particular rewarded yet. Hopefully his next pony friend would be more than happy to provide for him, from what experiences Spike had with her, she was quite the playful pony, a little eccentric but always in the mood for fun and merriment. A sudden thought then struck Spike, he sincerely hoped this spell wouldn't change her mood too much; she could be quite the oddity when in any other mood other than her default playfulness.


Thinking nothing more of it, Spike simply strolled into the small shop, instantly a fine smell of sugary treats scenting his vision. The pony he sought was not present at the counter, instead one half of the dual ownership of the shop, Mrs Cake. Spike hadn't any previous interactions with the Cakes and was a little foreboding about where this would end up.


"Oh a dragon, what a stroke of luck!" She called out as he approached the counter. "Wait wait wait, let me guess your name."


"Err it's…" Spike tried to get through.


"No don't tell me." Mrs Cake insisted. "Is it… Norbert?"


"No." Spike groaned imagining this would go on for a while.


"Saphira?"


"No, could I." Spike made another attempt to get through.


"No!" Mrs Cake yelled this time. "How about Draco?"


"Still no."


"Ghidorah?"


"No."


"Mecha Ghidorah?"


"I don't think you're gonna get it." Spike was getting quite impatient now.


"Yes I can I just know it!" She snapped back. "Alduin?"


"Nope."


"Mushu?"


"Still no." Now Spike was worrying about the number of dragon names she had left.


"Smaug?"


"No." Spike said another, though there was a part inside of him that wished he was named Smaug.


"Spyro?"


"Close." Spike replied eagerly, hoping she would correct those last letters.


"Whales!" Mrs Cake shouted cheerily.


"What! No!" Spike simply yelled back in shock. "Spike! Spike!"


"Oh Spike, Twilight's friend, well that would have been my last guess." Mrs Cake simply remarked. "Say what's that old unicorn up to nowadays, wished she stopped by and visit her friend."


"Well actually." Spike began. "She sent me to visit her friend."


"Oh really." Mrs Cake said slightly surprised. "Well that's, umm good. I think."


"Why." Spike was starting to worry. "Is something wrong with her?"


"Well." She said hesitantly. "Not really wrong, see. Just different, y'know."


"Where is she?" Spike asked cautiously.


"Oh she's in the bakery, making cupcakes." Mrs Cake replied cheerily.


"Well that doesn't sound too bad." Spike said, though there was a part of him that said otherwise.


"Yeah I know right, we do it all the time, but her attitude today is just… really strange." The mare went on.


"Exactly what kind of strange is it?" Spike pressed her.


"Well we had a nice chat this morning, business as usual. The only thing was it took me a good long time to try and understand what the hay she was going on about." Mrs Cake informed him.


"What is she like." Spike began scrounging for ideas. "Talking in like another language."


"Well it certainly felt like another language." She informed him. "But I could understand it alright; it's just there was so much of it."


"Okay then." Spike simply replied. "How about I go and have a talk to her."


"Isn't that what you were her for?" Mrs Cake reminded him.


"Oh yeah." Spike was reminded.


"By all means go ahead, but if you do, you're gonna be here for a while." She added cautiously.


"Okay." Spike added, before being guided by Mrs Cake into the shop, coming to the door that led into the bakery, an even stronger scent almost overwhelming the little dragon's little form.


"Well, just through here." She said. "Do excuse me, but frankly I'm not in the mood to having a chat with her right now."


"I'll manage." Spike replied and Mrs Cake made her leave, returning to the counter.


Spike lingered there for a moment, taking some time to enjoy the scent but managing to put aside the growing hunger in his stomach to concentrate his thoughts. Whatever had made the pony beyond this door more eccentric then usual had to be because of Twilight's spell, and frankly Spike could make up his mind whether to feel anxious or not. But finally he managed to get up the courage to place his little clawed hand on the knob, turning it slowly and making his way into the bakery.