• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,016 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,016

PreviousChapters Next
Knight's Play

Trottingham was the city Canterlot could have been, had it not enjoyed favor as the home of the Princesses. It too was a city of spires and metal, but where the capital of Equestria looked ethereal and majestic, the towers of Trottingham were solid and intimidating, with iron in place of brass, and granite in place of marble. It being located on the edge of the Everfree, its incredibly small squadron of weather pegasi were unable to fight back the majority of the weather around the city, as evidenced by the low bank of thunderclouds hanging over the city as the moon rose above the treetops. The city center was surrounded by a wall, but the logging industry had brought growth to the city, and now the low stone houses spilled past the obdurate barriers encircling the city proper. Curfew was rapidly approaching, and cloaked and hooded ponies were hurrying home while being carefully watched by Regular soldiers patrolling the streets.

Sweetie Belle was very glad for her paperwork as the train rumbled into the center of town, crossing over a trestle that spanned the river flowing from Canterlot, which meandered through the center of town. The sheer scale of the city impressed her. Having lived most of her life in Ponyville, and most of her recent life in Canterlot, Sweetie Belle had never really seen what happened when a city grew out, instead of up like Canterlot did. The streets were hastily cobbled, if they were paved at all, and twisted and turned back in on themselves without rhyme or reason. Elegant manors of stone warred for territory with ramshackle wooden shanties and low brick buildings. Every piece of available land was bordered and regulated by low stone walls, and the streets were still lit with gaslamps instead of magelights, despite Trottingham's significant unicorn population.

Many in the city were, until their official disbandment, under the control of one noble House or another, and most families still retained loyalty to those bygone days. A common phrase to be heard in the streets, in regards to the true source of power in Trottingham, was "The Princess speaks, but the Houses command". Sweetie Belle knew full well that Trottingham was a dangerous city, even before she had arrived. Gangs ruled the streets by night, and clashes between them and the night watchponies were frequent. With the beginning of the Ever Free rebellion, the city had been in a near-constant state of conflict, and it had the reputation, rightly earned, of being a hotbed of Ever Free activity. It was into this city, familiar and different all at once, that Sweetie Belle's train had entered, depositing her on the platform of the low, brown bricked train station before continuing to the relative safety of Hoofington and the south of Equestria.

Her fellow passengers formed into a few lines, heading for the nearest checkpoint, and Sweetie Belle copied them. Her disguise was holding steady, and she noticed a distinct lack of magical scanners. The invention had been developed in response to the Changeling invasion, and had recently seen widespread use across Equestria, making her job much more difficult. She had prepared for it by adding a few blonde highlights into her mane, hoping to claim them as a magical vanity if she set off the illusion-detecting devices. As it was, she would simply have to keep them there, unnecessary as they were.

"Evening, Miss! Welcome to Trottingham!" the guard on duty said, scanning over her papers. "Or rather, welcome back to Trottingham. Can I have your place of employment and name please?"

Sweetie Belle flipped her mane over one shoulder. "My name is Dawn Breeze." The guard looked at her expectantly. Sweetie looked back, eyes wide and innocent. She gave a little gasp, and laughed. "Oh, right! I work at Royal Logging as a secretary."

The guard consulted his list. "I don't appear to have a Royal Logging on here, Ms. Breeze."

"Are you sure? I filed the paperwork about a month ago. It's pretty new." she said, rummaging through her saddlebags distractedly, as if she didn't have a care in the world.

A clock chimed in the distance, signifying the change of the hour to nine. Curfew was in effect. The guard on duty sighed. "Alright, Miss Breeze. If it's a new company we probably don't have it registered yet. Be sure to check in with your nearest registration center so we can get that updated. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and let you through. Welcome to Trottingham, and go straight home, curfew just started."

Sweetie Belle smiled and thanked him, closing her bags and collecting her paperwork before trotting through the checkpoint. Moving quickly, she ducked into a nearby alleyway, changing her coat color to grey and striking the highlights from her hair. Her Cutie Mark faded, becoming that of a bit coin. She stowed her old papers in the secret lining of her saddlebags, withdrawing a second set which identified her as Silver Standard, banker from Canterlot on business to Trottingham. She ran over the second set of instructions, which she had reviewed on the train ride down. If she wanted to know more, she was to wait by the statue of the Paladin near Trottingham's famous Bronze Clock. Thus changed, she quickly located a darkened street, trotting briskly towards a building with lights in the windows, clearly an inn. It seemed clean and inviting enough, so she raised one hoof and knocked.

The Earth pony that opened the door was in that peculiar time between being an adolescent and an adult, almost matured but not quite. She still had the gangly legs of youth, and was slender enough that a less generous soul might call her bony. Her coat, a pleasant cream color, played a sharp contrast to a fiery red mane of hair bound tightly in a braid. A simple cloth apron was bound tightly around her shoulders, stained with the deep reds of wine, the browns of beer, and various other indignities which had happened upon it, giving it a look of uniqueness and age. Her face wore an expression of gentle weariness, and the bedraggled air of somepony doing far more work than they should hung heavy around her.

"'Ello, miss. Looking for room, are you?" she asked in the rough accent of a working-class Trottingham pony. "We're almost full up, but I'm sure we can find a room for you somewhere."

Sweetie Belle nodded. "I'd need room for about three nights. I've buisness to do in town, and I'm afraid my previous reservations at another inn fell through."

The mare's expression turned sympathetic. "A right shame, that is. Well, our rooms aren't highest quality, but they're cheap and they're clean, and meals is included for a bit extra per night."

"That sounds lovely. How much per night?" Sweetie asked.

"Three bits per night, one extra for food, though we also barter services in exchange for lodging. You don't seem too inclined for inn work though, begging your pardon, miss."

Sweetie withdrew her bag of bits. "That's reasonable enough for me. I'll go fifteen bits for the three days if you can exercise discretion and preserve my privacy while I'm here."

The mare shook her head, braid swinging wildly. "You'll pay twelve and not a gold shaving more, and you'll have your privacy, or my name isn't Oak Barrel. Please, miss, come inside." she said, ushering the unicorn through the threshold of the small building.


The common room of the inn was a standard enough affair. A low bar ran along the far wall, and a cheerful fire burned in the corner, most of the smoke flowing through the red brick chimney and out into the night. The rest hung in the air, lending the aroma of burning cedar to the area. Several circular wooden tables were arranged haphazardly by a small stage for a performer of some description. The thing that set this inn aside, however, was the company. For some reason, what appeared to be a theater troupe had descended on the inn, and half the tables were crowded with clowns, magicians, bards, and acrobats. The other half of the common room was occupied by no less than twenty Royal Guards, who were drinking heartily and singing ballads while no less than three of the minstrels played along, in three different keys. The effect was nowhere near pleasant, but definitely noticeable.

"It's not usually this crowded, but for some reason everypony needs an inn tonight!" Oak Barrel shouted over the noise, ducking a thrown tankard expertly. "Give me just a tick, and I'll see what's available for you!" And without waiting for a reply, she dashed into the crowd, taking a tray laden with drinks onto her back, depositing them on the table of several Guards, and talking to a mare Sweetie Belle assumed could only be a twin sister, so similar were they in coat and mane color. After a quick conversation, Oak Barrel nodded, and began dancing back through the crowd. One Guard attempted to grab her flank, earning a solid cuff for his troubles, and she managed to singlehoofedly save the drinks of a table full of card sharks before returning to Sweetie's side, panting slightly.

"Right-o, we've got one private room on the third floor, all the way down and to the right. Follow me!" she said, trotting up the stairs, Sweetie Belle following close behind. She led her up the stairs, which creaked slightly with each step, and after a brief climb, they arrived on the top floor of the building. Up here, the noise from the common room was very much diminished, so much so that Sweetie Belle was only aware of a slight hum.

"Once you've got the door shut, you won't notice a thing, Miss. That's a promise, that is." Oak Barrel said, laying a hoof on the brass knob of the door at the end of the hallway.

"Thank you very much for your hospitality, and please, call me Silver Standard." Sweetie Belle said, withdrawing her sack of bit coins from her saddlebag and counting out twelve. "There, that's twelve up front."

The mare swept the money into an apron pocket, bowing slightly. "Thank you kindly, Miss. Dinner is shepherd's stew and bread, I can bring that up for you if you like. Any choice of drink? We've got wine, mead, beer, water, and good cider from out near Ponyville. First batch we've had in a while, after that terrible fire."

Sweetie hardly hesitated. "Cider, please. I've not had Ponyville cider in years."

Oak Barrel looked at her curiously. "You've had it before?"

Sweetie Belle cursed her foolish slip. "Only once, at a fundraising event in Canterlot. I even got to meet the mare who made it, the Element of Honesty."

The innkeeper was awestruck. "That's an honor, that is. What was it like?"

Sweetie Belle yawned. "If you like, tomorrow I can tell you all about it. I've not got anything to do until the day after, so I'll be glad for company."

The Earth pony nodded. "Right then. I'll have your food up in a moment, and when you finish you can leave the tray outside, we come by and pick them up after the meals. I'll let you get settled in, and I'll be back in just a mo!"

Sweetie nodded tiredly, pushing the door open to reveal a simple room consisting of a small restroom, and a bedroom furnished with a simple chest of drawers and a small bed covered with a quilt. Sweetie Belle unpacked what few possessions she had, laying the documents underneath her clothing, and propped her saddlebags up against the wall. Checking her disguise in the mirror, she eliminated any minuscule imperfections that had appeared in her disguise, finishing just in time to hear a quiet knock on her door. Opening it back up, she smiled at the sight of Oak Barrel holding a tray of food.

"Here you are, Miss Standard! Breakfast tomorrow is hot at seven, and if you choose to sleep late, we start lunch at noon. Unfortunately the public baths are closed right now because of the curfew, but it lifts at six and you're welcome to use them as long as you like, for two bits I believe. Anything else?"

"No, thank you. I'll be up early tomorrow, and I will be happy to talk more then. And thank you for dinner, it looks delicious." Sweetie Belle said, yawning again.

Oak Barrel smiled cheerfully and bowed slightly. "I can see you're tired, Miss Standard. Have a good night." she said, trotting back down the hallway.

"You as well." Sweetie said, shutting the door behind her. Turning to the food, she fell upon it with zeal, enjoying the feeling of having food in her stomach again after having emptied it that afternoon. The stew was good, as was the bread, which was a bit hard, but perfectly edible nonetheless. Finishing the dinner, she looked at the tankard of cider before her. Careful not to spill a drop, she lifted it to her lips and took in a mouthful. Immediately she was reminded of early autumn days, waiting in line to get some from the source. She was reminded of the smell of apples cooking down, of spice and honey being added. She remembered how serious Rainbow Dash would become in the weeks leading up to its release, and the bitter sadness everypony felt when all of it was gone.

She found herself ruminating on her old life in Ponyville, and of how different she now was compared to when she had gotten her first cup of cider as a filly. And of course, she had gotten her first cup while waiting in line with Applebloom and Scootaloo. Sweetie Belle smiled. She hadn't heard from either of them in years, not since that October when they had watched Twilight break free from Celestia and vanish into the forest she could see from her window. She knew only a little of what had happened after she had left Ponyville to study in Canterlot. Scootaloo had left on her tour, of course, and after that had vanished from her life. Applebloom, on the other hoof, was a mystery to her. Idly, Sweetie Belle wondered she was now.


The command was obeyed without question. "Recruits! Present...Arms!"

Applebloom shouldered her training spear with the rest of her training group, armor gleaming in the evening torchlight. Each buckle was shined to spotlessness, each strap well within regulation tightness. The golden sun on her chest plate was burnished perfectly, as well as the head of her spear. She had distinguished herself during training, and had quickly rose to the position of Platoon Leader. This was the final day of her time as a Regular-in-Training, and she kept her gaze level and straightforward, face unreadable even though she could see her brother and sister in the stands. Big MacIntosh's face glowed with pride, and Applejack's eyes glimmered with happy tears. Applebloom had requested that she be assigned to a combat unit, as opposed to medical or administrative, where most mares ended up in the Regulars. Her scores had ensured that her request was granted. And now, she stood in front of her platoon, ready to take the final step in her training.

"On my command, you will recite the Oath of Service. Recruits! We are the Regular Army!"

Applebloom's voice was one among many. "We serve and protect our nation. We stand against those who would do her harm. Ours is the path of the protector, and we stand against Equestria's enemies. Let those who set themselves against us beware. Those who oppose us will not stand for long. We bear the shield. We are the spear. We are Regulars, and we fight for Equestria, our Princess, and Harmony. So we stand!"

"Congratulations, Regulars. Welcome to the service! You are dismissed to your families and loved ones. Dismissed!"

Applebloom stood at attention until Applejack and Big Mac caught her in a hug. "So proud of you, sugarcube." Applejack whispered.

"Eeyup." Big Mac added, and they stood there for a while. Applebloom allowed herself to cry a bit. She had made it. She was a Regular, and those who opposed Equestria would find her standing in their way.

PreviousChapters Next