• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,011 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,011

PreviousChapters Next
Bishop's Square

The day dawned over Trottingham long before Sweetie Belle woke up, exhausted from the journey and the events of the previous day. Looking out of her window from her bed, which was surprisingly warm and comfortable, the unicorn was able to see the ponies of the city going about their business. Or at least, trying to. As she watched, a pair of guards pulled one pony aside, demanding to know what was in his saddlebags. The contents were checked thoroughly before one of the soldiers roughly piled the contents, groceries, back inside the bags and handed them back to the unfortunate fellow, who was then allowed to continue on his way after producing identification.

Sweetie Belle was surprised. She had heard that things were more secure around here, but that seemed a little extreme. In Canterlot, ponies were only required to carry papers if they were out past curfew, or at certain checkpoints. Reluctantly, she rolled out of bed, fixing her illusion in the mirror and then looking out of her window again. The streets were busy and packed with ponies, on their way to and from the station. Suddenly, a cry arose from a nearby alleyway. A purple Earth pony galloped desperately out of the narrow space, hoof covered in black paint, which also spattered her face. Two guards pursued her, one blowing a whistle as they passed. Sweetie watched as the Earth pony was caught by an armor clad unicorn who had stepped out of a nearby building, her hooves working furiously as she remained suspended in midair, hovering in a weak aura of golden magic. The two guards nodded to their compatriot while they bound and hobbled her. The defiant mare spit at the guard who tried to bridle her before the bit was forced into her mouth and she was led off. Amazed at what she had just seen, Sweetie Belle looked to the alleyway. There, in fresh paint, was a six pointed star, and the word "Ever".

Sweetie Belle checked her disguise again, very thoroughly. As far as she could tell, she resembled exactly who she said she would be. Silver Standard, boring banker from Canterlot. Sighing, she checked the meeting date and time on her paper. A full day early, but she could not prepare to meet her informant because she had no idea who the informant was. And she refused to sit in her room for a full day. An idea sluggishly formed in the back of her still slightly drowsy mind. Tea first. Then the public baths, which she needed. It would take a bit of effort to maintain the pigmentation in her coat while bathing, but she was confident she could do it. And then...she pulled out the note from her bag. She was to meet her informant by the Bronze Clock, next to the statue of the Paladin. She had no idea where that was, so it seemed that today would be a good day to at least scout the area. With that in mind, she prepared herself further for her day. After checking herself over once more, thoroughly, she stepped out of her room, locking the door behind her.

Sweetie Belle heard a commotion coming from downstairs, splintering chairs and crashing pots and pans. Rushing down to the common room, she took in the sight in front of her. What appeared to be several guardsponies were being roundly beaten with various kitchen implements, wielded by the two sisters who ran the inn. A dirty Pegasus cowered in one corner, a little filly who was clutching a small bag in her hooves. The guards appeared to be trying to pacify the two sisters, who were letting loose with an impressive variety of curses as they stood in front of her.

"Got a lot of bottle, laying hooves on her!" Oak Barrel said, hurling a stool at the leader of the group.

"She refused to stop and be searched! We have orders to check all suspicious packages near the station!" he replied, ducking swiftly.

"Right, you bleeding idiot! Because one, she's deaf, and two, she's a gorram filly! How would you react? Eh?" the other sister yelled, her tidy bun coming undone in places.

A pan was swung at one of the guards who had gotten too close, which connected with an impressive clang. He dropped like a sack of potatoes, quite unconscious.

"She could have showed us what was in the bag, and that would have been the end of it."

"She had instructions to pick up supplies and come right back, because in case you haven't noticed, the streets aren't the safest place for a filly, ye gormless, feckless, half arsed excuse for a tin can! She can't be bothered to stop for you idiots, and neither can we!"

The guard stood his ground. "Look, there's no need to make a fuss."

Oak Barrel's eyes flared. "I've had it with you puffed up windbags." She turned to the filly, who was watching her with wide eyes. With a peculiar set of hoof stomps and head twitches, she beat out a set of instructions to her. The filly nodded, springing to her hooves, and tapped out a brief response. Opening the bag, she withdrew a small bottle of green glass. Stepping forward cautiously, she placed it on the ground, along with the bag.

"There. See that? That's sweet berry syrup. Hard to get, harder to buy. She loves it, and we use it in quite a bit of our food."

The leader stepped forward, uncorking the bottle and sniffing the contents. He spilled a small amount onto one hoof and tasted it. He grunted appreciatively. "Very well. That's berry syrup." He recorked the bottle, gently handing it back to the filly, who did her best to look brave, though she held herself low, ready to run if necessary. At a short tap from Oak Barrel, she fled behind them once more.

"Now, you piss-poor excuse for a soldier, is there anything else ye'd be wanting to do here besides frighten small fillies? Maybe steal the money in the register, or burn all of our furniture? If not, then ye can piss off." the other Earth pony said, hugging the Pegasus close.

The sergeant surveyed the damage to the inn. He withdrew a small bag of bits, shamefaced. The rest of his ponies did so as well. "For the repair of your furniture, and compensation. Sorry, it's all we have to offer." He tossed it on the ground, where it landed with a clink. A beat later, ten similar bags hit the ground.

Oak Barrel refused to look at them. "Leave. Just leave."

The guardsponies did so, picking up their unconsicous comrade and filing out without another word. The door thudded closed behind them.

"Unbelievable." Oak Barrel said, as she set down her pan, beginning to set up the chairs and tables once more. She began to lift one of the heavy oak tables, struggling to tip it onto one side. "They could have asked anypony in the bloody neighborhood. They know Cirrus."

"Probably new or reassigned. Their commander will have them up the wall for the next two weeks for that little stunt." her twin replied, comforting the Pegasus, who clopped out a quick message on the floor.

Her head turned around, seeing Sweetie Belle sitting on the stairs. "Ello, miss. Sorry you had to see that."

Sweetie Belle got to her hooves, and lit her horn up, lifting the chairs and tables, setting them back into their original positions. One table immediately toppled over, as well as a few of the stools. "Is this a regular occurrence?"

"Not at all, Miss Standard. Occasionally somepony will do something idiotic and get caught partaking in activities they should not, but on the whole it's a quiet neighborhood. Whenever they switch out guard units, though, things get a bit...shambolic. They don't know us, we don't know them, everything gets tense for a while." Oak Barrel said, slinging the broken chairs over her back and depositing them in the corner. "Cirrus gets a fright once every few months until we can get things sorted out between us and them. They'll be back in a few weeks, apologizing and eager to show us they aren't bad ponies, really."

Cirrus tapped out a quick beat, and Oak Barrel laughed. "That means hello, ma'am. She's taken a shine to you, normally she won't talk to strangers for days."

Sweetie tapped back, imitating the beat. Cirrus grinned, and stomped her front hooves on the ground in applause. "I've never heard of using this to communicate with deaf ponies. Did you come up with it?"

"Wasn't us, was it, Copper?"

"No, it was her. She came up with the whole thing. We've been trying to write it down, but she keeps coming up with new words. Caught her tapping out 'bollucks', or the equivalent, yesterday. Never should have taught her how to read lips."


Sweetie re-affixed a chair leg back to its base, making sure that the crack was no longer visible. Thus repaired, she set it to one side and started on the others. "Does she live nearby?"

Oak Barrel nodded. "We take care of her, keep her safe and give her a place to sleep. In return, she helps how she can, runs errands and such. Can almost fly, too."

The unicorn frowned. "No parents?"

Copper shook her head. "She's run off from a hospital near the center of town, though she won't say which. All the deaf and blind ponies stay there, apparently. She had a few friends there, but apparently she was dropped there as a filly. No note or anything. One day she had decided that enough was enough and left. Wandered into our inn half starved and tried to steal a crust during the peak hours a few years back, exhausted, freezing, and soaking. We gave her a job and a place a few days after we caught her and worked out how to communicate."

Cirrus clopped out a longer stream of beats, finishing by twirling on one back hoof and setting three hooves down with a sharp *crack*. She indicated Sweetie Belle, and then the bits on the ground.

Oak Barrel laughed. "She says that you should take some of the bits you've helped us save and get a bath. Apparently you reek."

Sweetie Belle smiled. "I'll not take your money, but I'll take you up on your suggestion. I was planning on it anyway."

Copper nodded. "Will you be back for midday meal, or will we see you at dinner?"

"I've got to meet my client near the Bronze Clock tomorrow at noon. I'll be taking a look at the place so I remember how to get there on time tomorrow, they're very punctual."

Oak Barrel set up the newly repaired chairs and tables. "Just follow the river from the baths, towards the center of town. You'll see it before too long. Odd place to meet somepony for banking, not much there but restaurants and tourist traps."

Sweetie Belle recovered. "It's a bit of a lunch date sort of thing. I've not met them personally, and this is a chance for us to identify each other as ponies before going further."

Oak Barrel nodded. "Makes sense to me. Enjoy your bath and sightseeing, and we'll see you around dinner!"


It was in the early afternoon, several hours later, that Sweetie Belle walked along the edge of the river running through Trottingham, watching the boats and low barges laden with lumber traveling its length. Trottingham by day was no more inviting than by night. The streets were filthy, the buildings dilapidated, and she got a feeling from the ponies nearby of a gently smoldering fire ready to flare back into life at the slightest provocation. This was a city on the brink of collapse, Sweetie Belle was sure. The sun glinted off of something in the distance, and Sweetie found her eye drawn to the source.

The Bronze clock was massive, a square tower rising to a tapered point, its roof covered in graceful spikes, capping a massive, intricate clock. The sides were ribbed, giant folds of metal that gave the illusion of a hundred pillars supporting the huge timepiece. As she watched, the hour was struck, three massive, booming chimes ringing across the river with force enough that Sweetie could feel them in her chest. Picking the pace up, Sweetie Belle trotted across the river, reaching the foot of the clock and gazing up at the impressive edifice in front of her. This was impressive in a way Sweetie Belle had never seen before. Canterlot's wonders spoke of a more ancient time, vast columns of stone and impressive buildings and facades that loomed majestically above the ponies passing by. This was a more modern wonder, an intimidating and beautiful fusion of monument and machine that was unique in its metallic, massive glory.

Sweetie looked around for a statue, finding none. Spotting a nearby guard, she trotted over. "Pardon me, but could you tell me where I could find the statue of the Paladin?"

The guard looked at her strangely. "The statue of the Paladin? Of Trottingham?"

Sweetie Belle nodded. "Yes, that one."

He snorted. "History buff, are you? Well, I can tell you this. The statue ain't outside. It's in the old monastery across the river. You know, above the tomb of the Paladin?"

Sweetie took it in stride. "Thank you very much."

He nodded. "You'd best hurry. They close in an hour, and tomorrow they're closed. Some sort of private gathering."

Well, that would be a problem. Sweetie Belle set off at a brisk trot, dipping her hooves in a small pool of water by the door of the abbey before stepping inside. The interior was quiet, a reverent hush permeating the ancient walls as several ponies bowed their heads in respect while standing in front of a tomb, made of simple white sandstone, a simply carved statue of a pony resting on the lid of a sarcophagus, plain and without markings. Sweetie carefully joined the throng, bowing her head in respect as the ponies around her murmured prayers or blessings and walked away one by one. She resolved to stay by the tomb until asked to leave, and so entered into a bit of quiet meditation. Such was the quiet that she was able to listen to the conversations around her, and despite feeling a bit sacrilegious in doing so, she found herself listening closely.

"...give me the strength to tell her..."

"I just want him to get better..."

"...in Celestia's name..."

"...no war..."

"...deaf filly..."

Sweetie Belle listened closely to that one, and was surprised to hear the voice of the sergeant, clearly off duty.

"I just want to protect ponies, but it is so hard. Can't they understand? We're here for them, not to hurt them but to help them. That filly was scared of me...Celestia, I have one her age at home, if she had ever looked at me like that...Please, give me strength, give me the strength I need to protect others...keep my family safe."

Sweetie Belle listened as a set of hoofbeats faded away, as the sergeant trotted out of the door on his own, hopefully carrying the strength of the Paladin with him. She reflected on the nature of his prayer. Was he a bad pony for what he had done? No, she decided. He wasn't. He had done something bad. Maybe a lot of bad things, but that didn't make him bad. Then who was the "bad" group, here? The EF? They had hurt ponies, she knew. But they seemed simply to want to be left alone. She had heard whispers of secession. If they were allowed to secede from under Celestia's rule, would they stop? Would Twilight leave it at that? Or would she continue going until Celestia was dead, and damn the consequences? And was Twilight a bad pony for her actions? Was she evil, or possessed, like Celestia had claimed?

Was Celestia evil for her actions? Sweetie Belle admitted that she liked the idea of a utopia for all, never wanting or needing anything again. She was sure that Cirrus would get her hearing back in Celestia's paradise. The sisters at the inn would never need to worry about broken furniture or a failed business. But Twilight would die. Her death would be the catalyst for this paradise, and every pony who came after, every pony everywhere, would have her blood on their hooves. Was she willing to pay that price? The life of another for her own perfect life? She didn't know. She wasn't sure if she wanted to know, if she was being perfectly honest.

And that was the problem, that was always the problem, the thing that drove her. She didn't know. She had no truths to fall back on, nothing concrete, no facts or evidence or accounts of what she was getting herself into. The EF and Celestia each told their versions and it was up to her to find out the truth of things. She had Celestia's accounts and versions, the official stories and explanations, and now she needed the information that would be hers tomorrow. She'd have to find a way in, somehow. Maybe she was to stand in front?

A hoof came into contact with her shoulder, snapping her out of her reverie. A kindly looking older unicorn, whose tan flank was marked with a scroll and hourglass, smiled at her from behind a pair of bifocals. "Miss? We are closing the doors. I hate to interrupt you, but I am afraid you must go."

Sweetie Belle smiled and thanked him, heading for the door and stepping into the sunlight, blinking at the sudden brightness. She looked at the clock in surprise. She had been thinking for nearly half an hour.

"Miss?"

She turned around to see the abbot standing in the doorway. He held up a key. "I'm afraid you dropped this. Funny thing, it looks exactly like the key for the side door from the cloisters alongside the building, but I clearly saw you drop it. And if you wish to come back tomorrow, around, say, noon, I'm afraid we will be quite closed. All the doors locked up tightly, not a pony getting in or out." He pressed it into her hooves. "Have a pleasant afternoon, Miss." And with that, he closed the doors tightly, the thud of an ancient lock sliding into place echoing through the courtyard before Sweetie could react. Shaking her head, Sweetie Belle headed back to the inn.


Sweetie Belle was confronted at the bar by Oak Barrel, who smiled when she saw her. "Evening, Ms. Standard! A courier left some sort of note for you, said it was important you got it. I have it here if you'd like to read it!"

Sweetie Belle smiled. "Thank you, Oak Barrel." she said, taking the letter from her. Opening it, she scanned the contents quickly.

"To the mare admiring the Paladin today-

I am glad you have come to Trottingham, if only for a while. I, too, love the tomb of the Paladin, and I knew a prayer of mine had been answered when you arrived at the abbey today. You and I have very similar interests, it would seem, and I would like to discuss them further with you someday. However, I must warn you. There are others, it would seem, who might disapprove of such a relationship as I hope we might have. These individuals may seek to drive us apart, or take you away from me. Rest assured that for now, we are safe. But tread carefully, my silver bell. Now is the time for caution between us. Eagerly awaiting our next engagement.

A fellow abbey-goer."

Sweetie's heart pounded. She was being watched, and not just by the Ever Free.

PreviousChapters Next