• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,016 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,016

PreviousChapters Next
A Pawn Taken

If there was one thing Sweetie Belle had learned in her training, it was that there was always another angle to consider. There is always a plan, always a backup set in place by the best of manipulators in the event of their overt designs being stymied by some unseen circumstance. And though Night Light and herself had managed to escape the wrath of Celestia and the Shadow, she could not help but to feel the presence of something else, something new. She knew instinctively that neither of them were safe yet, that there was something else waiting for them ahead. What it was, she did not know, but she knew it was there.

But at the same time, she could not stop running forward, pell-mell down the corridor of rough stone after Night Light. It was a compulsion, a desire to get as far away from the creature they had just encountered as possible. Her scalp tingled as if it were still watching them, and she dared not turn her head for fear that it would be there, smiling that horrible toothy smile if she did so. And then would come the lunge, and the piercing teeth…

A glimmer of light up ahead lent hope to her weary heart at the same time as it filled it with fear. There was no way that the reddish glow ahead was the light of the moon, and they had not been traveling nearly so far as to be at the airship yet. But at the same time, it was light, blessed light, which meant a refuge from the terrible Shadow.

Night Light slowed down, maneuvering in front of Sweetie Belle in order to restrict her movement. As he ground to a halt, she attempted to get herself under control. The Shadow wanted Celestia, not her. And it had let them go. It was no longer a threat to her, but whatever was ahead of them certainly was. Sweetie Belle inhaled, then exhaled, drawing her dagger and holding it lightly, ready for use. Through a series of taps, the two ponies agreed to proceed slowly.

Night Light was the first to exit the tunnel, crouching behind an outcropping of rocks and checking for cover before indicating it to Sweetie Belle and telling her to move forward. A quick flash of movement, and she vaulted silently into cover. As one, they looked at what was casting the light.

It was what appeared to be a small sun, burning a low red that filled the cavern with bloody light. Curious, Sweetie Belle glanced around the rest of the cavern, sweeping along the walls. A hole off to their left looked promising as an exit, and indeed it appeared to be well-maintained, having some crudely cut stairs leading to it from the cavern floor and a railing to prevent slippage. But what had constructed that, and who was maintaining it? Night Light pointed at the cavern floor, a look of shock upon his face. And there was the answer revealed.

A camp had been set up on the floor of the cave, entirely made of stone and clearly occupied. A fire burned in the center of it, near a statue of Princess Celestia herself. Even from this distance and in such poor light, Sweetie Belle could see ponies in hulking armor patrolling the walls, marching on the parade ground, and walking in twos and threes from place to place. She could not, however, identify the armor. It looked like it belonged to the Guards, but she had never seen Guards this size, and that plate they were wearing was too bulky for most ponies to be wearing. There had to be a full thousand ponies down there, all of them apparently massive and well-equipped. But why were they here? What could they possibly be, and what purpose did they serve?

The answer was unimportant. Right now, all that mattered was getting around to the entrance, and getting out into the landing area. Sweetie Belle had almost been killed far more often than she would have liked to admit, and she wanted nothing more than to be on an airship out of the city with her sister. She signaled to Night Light, showing him the aperture through which they could depart. He nodded silently, and together the two of them began the process of moving from rock to rock, waiting on the other to give the all clear before proceeding. It took only minutes to reach the final leg of their journey, but those minutes were precious when they were on such a tight schedule.

At last, they were ready to make it across the final stretch and enter the mouth of the tunnel ahead of them. The only problem was the space. No rocks were available for them to use as cover, and the Guards on the wall would surely see them if they attempted to make a run for it. And outrunning them was far too risky. They may have looked like brutes, but both of the spies had seen how smoothly and precisely they had walked. There was only one alternative. Sweetie would have to veil them both, and together they would walk to the entrance of the cave.

A short sprint, and Sweetie Belle was huddled behind the same boulder as Night Light, ready to go. No words were traded, nothing needed to be said, and all that was done to reassure each other was a touching of hooves. Then, reaching inside of herself, Sweetie Belle found her magic, and wove a perfect veil around them.

And then the sun above them flared into brilliant gold, and an alarm was raised from the campsite.


Applebloom was awake immediately. Her dreams of the sunlight on her face shortly became a reality, and it was only a moment later that she vaulted out of bed, full armor already on, and sprinted towards the source of the disturbance, grabbing a spear but neglecting her helmet. Her hair whipped around the newly-white hair on her face as she ran, the ponies underneath her falling in behind her as she roared instructions for spellcasters to get to the walls and Pegasi to take to the air.

The gates swung open as she barreled out of the camp, leveling her spear as she ran. She could see the two intruders, though they were obviously trying to veil themselves from her sight. What was strange, though was that they appeared to be unaware of the presence of three other ponies, leaping down from the rocks above and heading for the exit into the mountain, and from there out onto the plains below Canterlot.

The light from the sun at last managed to penetrate the veil to the point that Applebloom could see who was underneath it. A Pegasus wearing wingblades was galloping alongside a pony, the telltale signs of powerful illusion magic in her coat. She recognized Sweetie Belle right away. Her howl of rage could be heard by all, and she sped up. Tonight she would kill.


Sweetie Belle let the veil drop, instead focusing her magic into lighting her horn. Night Light was pulling ahead of her by just a bit, shouting encouragement as he ran, and she could feel her muscles burning with the exertion. They were almost at the tunnel’s edge, and the Guards were gaining. A sob rose in her throat. It wasn’t fair. She’d managed to fulfill her mission, and now she would die underneath the mountain of Canterlot, killed by monsters wearing the skins of ponies. Her hooves blurred as she forced herself to run faster than she ever had in her life, sprinting for the exit. She could see the charging Guards pouring out of their camp, and she could have sworn that one of them was looking right at her.

“Sweetie Belle, duck!”

She did so instinctively, without considering where the voice was coming from. A javelin flew overhead to shatter on the hard rock behind her. Had she been standing erect, it would have taken her through the eye. But the maneuver had cost her. Just as they reached the mouth of the cave, Sweetie Belle stumbled, twisting her hoof on the irregular floor of stone. Putting one hoof out to catch herself, she was rewarded with the snap of bone, and a spike of pain that made her want to vomit. She screamed and fell, clutching at her foreleg.

Night Light’s eyes widened as he turned his head over his shoulder to see Sweetie Belle writhing on the ground, a jagged spear of bone protruding from her leg, viscera staining her coat red. He rushed from the tunnel to her side, the wingblades sliding out.

“Come on, Sweetie Belle. You have to get up, we need to go.” he said, standing over her protectively. The Guards were not that far away, and closing the gap rapidly. He stood over her protectively. Swallowing, he looked her in the eye. “Sweetie Belle, close your eyes, and lay on the ground, hooves out. No magic. They might choose to capture you. If not…it’ll be over quickly, and I’ll see you soon, alright?”

Sweetie Belle shut her eyes tightly, preparing herself for death. She waited for the sounds of combat, the roar of charging ponies, the sting of a spear. But it never came. Instead, there was a huge detonation, a rush of heat, and a furious scream from the ponies who had moments ago been pursuing them. Sweetie Belle opened her eyes, and saw something that she thought she would never have seen again.

Rarity, eyes blazing with uncontrolled fury, was channeling magic through her horn, a torrent of purple fire that bathed the ground in front of her, sticking to walls and the floor like glue and burning far hotter than any fire had a right to. As Sweetie Belle watched, confused, the Element of Generosity’s expression turned from fire to ice. A unicorn attempted to trade spells with her, and he was contemptuously blocked before she retaliated, blowing his head off. A set of hooves lifted Sweetie Belle into the air, setting her on a broad back, and she turned to see Scootaloo smiling at her. If that was the case, then she was riding on…

“Careful, Glimmer. She’s hurt. Make the tunnel, we’re right behind.”

Night Light and Rarity began to back up as the group retreated to the escape route. The armored ponies screamed in rage as the fliers began to plummet from the ceiling, forcing Rarity to switch her attack from the ground to the air. Night Light got in front of her, wingblades out as the Pegasi began their charge. Rarity backed into the tunnel, and gestured to Night Light to follow.

As he turned to retreat, however, one of the ponies leapt through the fire and flames, a spear in her grasp. Hurling it with practiced ease, she neatly severed a tendon in his back leg, and the Pegasus collapsed. Sweetie Belle watched as he turned to face his assailant. Rarity’s horn lit up, and a bolt of force slammed into the ceiling above them, causing rocks to fall and block the entrance. Before she could do that, however, Sweetie Belle caught sight of who had trapped Night Light. Applebloom wore a predatory grin as she advanced, the fading purple light of the fires gleaming in her golden, pupil-less eyes.


Night Light growled at Applebloom, his wingblades coming out. His back leg was ruined. Even if by some miracle he was rescued, odds were good that he’d never regain full use of it. It wasn’t so bad, he mused. A long career and a successful one. And he had been killed during his most successful mission yet. He still had a few tricks left, however. Enough to make sure this bitch remembered him.

He pumped his wings once, soaring into the air just high enough to come down on top of Applebloom, who backed up in order to avoid the deadly edges of his blades. Spinning neatly, he swung at her unprotected face, causing her to rear and catch the leading edge of the blade on her breastplate. She retaliated with a hoof upside his head, which caused his vision to flicker. Shaking his head and causing droplets of blood to arc gracefully through the air, he stabbed with the point of the blade, the signature scorpion strike of the blade coming into effect. This time, Applebloom was unable to avoid it completely, and the tip of the blade dug out a small chunk of flesh beneath her eye. He smiled as the Chief Spear growled, searching for a way to end this quickly.

She found it. Rushing him, she waited for him to slip to one side, which he did. What he did not anticipate, however, was her picking up the dagger which Sweetie Belle had dropped. And as he had watched its original owner do, many times, Night Light watched the dagger speed towards him unerringly, and before he could react, the steel slid into his heart, knocking him onto his back. The world began to go gray, and Night Light felt curiously cold. As his eyes slid shut for the final time, his hoof found the dagger in his chest.

Those who later handled his body would say that he died trying to pull out the dagger, and failed in this last task. But that was not the case. It was a comfort to rest his hoof on it, gripping tightly. It was almost like Sweetie Belle was there with him. And then, everything went white, and Night Light departed this world for the next, thoughts of her in his heart.

He died with a smile on his face.


Mahtaram’s crystal flashed, and a familiar voice spoke in her ear.

“Mahtaram, can you hear me?”

The Gryphon drew her jambiyah, neatly slicing the throat of one of the Guards who was attempting to attack her. It worked through several more Air Corps members and Royal Naval ponies, spraying blood across the cobblestones, before she was able to respond.

“I read you loud and clear, Miss Zenith. What’s going on above the city?” She sheathed the dagger, picking up her bow and notching one of her last arrows. It took a diving Guard in the throat, causing him to tumble from the turbulent sky limply into the ground.

“Luna is free, but a bit…unbalanced. We’ve arranged for some extra support for you. But you need to begin your withdrawal immediately. It’s too dangerous for you to be around for much longer.”

The Gryphon picked up a spear, hurling it through two ponies who were attempting to use magic on her. One was killed instantly, while the other clutched at his weeping throat and collapsed on the ground. Before she could be targeted any further, she slung her bow over her shoulder and shot into the air with a single pump of her wings, speeding over the city towards her rendezvous point. “Understood. What are we looking for?” she asked, avoiding several arrows and crossbow quarrels that had been fired at her by her pursuers.

There was a chuckle over the connection. “Look to the forest, and you’ll see. Don’t move until you can be sure the two Alicorn sisters are on the ground.”

A roar echoed in the distance, and Mahtaram smiled. She could see who was coming towards the city, and she suddenly had no worries about the escape route. If Spike was their escort, she pitied the attacker.


Sweetie Belle felt hot and cold as they rushed through the blackness of the under-mountain. Some part of her knew that she was in shock, but this was not the kind of shock that came with unconsciousness, and she could not afford it at any rate. Instead, she clung weakly to the back of Glimmer as they ran, crying for the pain both inside of her and out. Rarity was loping along right beside them, light spilling from her horn as she followed Scootaloo, who was leading the way.

“Look at me, Sweetie Belle. Look at me, I’m right here.” Rarity said to her sister, trying to keep her from falling unconscious. “We’re almost there, and then you can rest.”

Scootaloo and Glimmer looked at one another. Sweetie Belle was supposed to veil the ship from sight so that the Guards didn’t pursue them. She couldn’t do that if she was unconscious. It didn’t matter much at that point, but there were going to be a few more close calls tonight.

“Birchwood, can you hear me?” Scootaloo said into her earpiece. “Are the engines running?”

“Hot and ready. Sweetie Belle and Night Light with you?”

Scootaloo winced. “Night Light didn’t make it.”

There was silence from the other end. Scootaloo continued. “He held off Guards who were chasing us. There was a cave in.”

Birchwood’s voice was thick and halting. “That idiot. Never could figure out when he was in too deep.”

The passage widened, and turned into a proper cave. The floor widened and smoothed itself out, and it was only moments later that they could see Birchwood and the airship, sleek and black against the night outside, waiting for them. A rope ladder was thrown down, and Scootaloo launched herself onto the deck, throwing down a basket for Sweetie Belle. They had come prepared for casualties. Gently, Glimmer set her in the sling, and she was drawn up and onto the ship’s deck. Rarity appeared silently on the deck, kneeling next to her sister, and the Changeling was the last one to board the airship.

With a lurch, the airship started forward, picking up speed as it went. Birchwood kept a steady hoof on the tiller, and within moments they were out of the confines of the cave and into the open air, soaring towards the Everfree. Mahtaram landed on the deck as alarm bells began to ring from the city walls,, and what few Guards the beleaguered city could muster were dispatched to bring them back.

Mahtaram threw open a chest fastened to the deck, tossing a first aid kit to Rarity as she withdrew a fresh quiver of arrows. Stationing herself at the stern of the ship, she began to pick her targets. Scootaloo withdrew a small case from the chest, opening it to reveal several flash powder spheres, along with a sling to hurl them from. Soon, the air behind the ship was a maelstrom of darts and fire, discouraging even the most driven of their pursuers to back off and let the airship flee.

As the small craft soared over the plains below Canterlot, the occupants could see what had happened to the once-proud city of Canterlot. The side of the mountain burned with debris, thick clouds of choking smoke rising from its sides as well as numerous craters on the ground below. The city was on fire, a raging inferno that was slowly being brought under control by teams of exhausted ponies, split in so many different directions. As they watched, a flash erupted from the side of the city, and a stream of golden light shot into the air, hurtling into space. The moonlight flared, and when they could see again, every pony in that ship gasped to see the all-too-familiar Mark of Celestia emblazoned on its surface.

“What…what has been done?” Mahtaram asked.

Not a soul spoke. Glimmer was the one who finally broke the silence. “Change. We have just watched history being made. Whatever happens after tonight, the world will be forever changed.”

She had no idea how right she was.

PreviousChapters Next