• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,016 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,016

PreviousChapters Next
Meeting the Chessmistress

The interior of the library was just as Twilight Sparkle had remembered it. Well-kept books lined the walls, the floor had been swept recently, the air was heavy with the scent of fresh flowers and baked bread, and a cheerful fire crackled in the hearth. A kettle hung over the flames, whistling merrily, and two cups stood on a table near the fireplace beside a tray containing milk, sugar, and lemon as well as an assortment of cookies.

“Please, have a seat!” the voice called. “I’ll be along in just a moment!”

Twilight dutifully obeyed, unsure of where the voice was coming from. She chose her favorite chair near the fireplace, staring into the wavering flames as she pondered what kind of being she would be conversing with. Her concept of a goddess was, of course, an Alicorn. If she were to be honest, her concept was Celestia. It was the closest thing to one she had known her entire life. She was expecting a towering figure that was equal parts commanding and loving, perhaps more than a little mysterious or powerful looking.

What she was not expecting was for the fire in the fireplace to expel a pony from the tongues of light as if she had been created from the flame itself. Twilight watched in fascinated awe as she stepped gracefully from the fireplace, the wavering mare of flame growing a horn and tail as the hue of her coat faded into a pleasant white and her mane became a bright, cheerful red. Her face contorted as she stumbled out of the fire, and she did something Twilight could only describe as flickering before correcting herself.

Her eyes opened, and regarded Twilight patiently. They were the deep blue of candle flame or swift water, twin pools of warm infinity that Twilight swore contained all the stars of the universe in their black pupils. They were full of good-natured humor and cheer, and were both incredibly wise and pleasantly tired. They gave the impression that this mare saw your entire soul, even the parts you were unaware of, took its measure, and found it good. Twilight felt that all her faults were laid bare before this mare, and that she knew them intimately and forgave them without hesitation.

Twilight felt immediately at ease around her, and her tentative smile was rewarded with a wholehearted beam from this unicorn, who had settled down on the opposite chair, pouring them both tea. She levitated a cup over to Twilight, who accepted it gratefully.

“What kind of tea is this?” she asked.

“Your favorite.” she replied.

Twilight took an experimental sip, finding it piping hot, but not burning. A cornucopia of flavors washed over her tongue, and she realized that this was the best cup of tea she had ever tasted. The flavor was very good, and nearly indescribable, but if she was forced to, Twilight Sparkle would have had to describe it as a sweeter, more spicy Darjeeling. Normally, this would have ruined the blend entirely, but it was surprisingly pleasant and more than a little invigorating.

She looked up to see the mare watching her expectantly. “It’s very good.” she said. “Thank you.”

The mare laughed, a wonderful sound like wind rushing through an orchard. “You’re quite welcome. It’s the least I can do for you, you’ve been through quite a lot on account of my daughters. And my son, to an extent. And you’ve been more help than you know, even if it has been a bit of a headache, rushing around to get things done.”

Twilight nibbled delicately on a piece of shortbread. “I’m not sure I follow. To be honest, I’m in the dark about this whole thing.”

The mare nodded her head. “I completely understand.” It wasn’t just an expression. “And believe me when I say that Celestia and Luna’s struggle affects more than your world.”

“What does that mean?” Twilight asked. “My world, that is. Is there only one?”

Mother nodded. “There are many worlds, Twilight Sparkle. And many possibilities to go along with them, and I can see them all. You are currently sitting in the center of Creation, Twilight. In more ways than one, because yours is the last world to approach the state it is currently in.”

“I don’t follow. Sorry about that.” Twilight said, a bit mortified.

The mare looked at her reassuringly. “Well, let’s look at it like this. If you were to get out of your chair, which of your rear hooves would hit the ground first?”

Twilight examined her position, and found it to be perfectly balanced. Whichever hoof hit the floor first would be a matter of random chance. “Either could, I suppose.”

“Right. What if I told you that every time you did that, both hooves landed separately at the same time? That is, the left hoof hit first and the right hoof hit first?”

Twilight furrowed her brow. “You mean to say that both would happen?”

The mare nodded. “Twilight, I encompass all of Creation, which contains all of everything. Every thing that was, or is, or will be. That means every single possibility is encompassed within me simultaneously. Past, present, and every future, I can see them all. Now ,the difference between a world where your left hoof hit first and one where your right hoof hit first is negligible at best. Oftentimes they end up merging together later on. But sometimes, that action is incredibly important.”

The purple unicorn thought about that. “How could something that small bring about such a change?”

“There are many universes in which a single misstep brought Celestia to her knees when she first fought Luna, resulting in an eternal night. Her sister ruled over Equestria in an eternal night, enforcing Order in her cities. But the nighttime made ponies easy prey for predators. They live in massive walled cities under her rule, farming in massive heated caverns underneath the surface. They are in constant conflicts with Diamond Dogs, and as such have evolved to a point in which they are perfect killers in tight, dark spaces. Pegasi are marginalized, and are both fast and vicious. They carry messages between the cities and enforce the law, while unicorns heat the caverns and maintain the glowing stones they use to farm, which is done by Earth ponies.”

Twilight’s mind was transported, considering all of the factors that had to have gone into that society. “That sounds fascinating.” she said, leaning forward in her seat. “I’d like to meet somepony from that world.”

Mother chuckled at her enthusiasm. “You may very well get to. It would be a short visit, however. We have much to do.”

Twilight felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up. “Why is that?”

“Because we need to send you back to Equestria to restore balance.” Mother said.

Twilight’s hoof tightened on her cup. “And if I say no?” she inquired.

The mare that had created everything looked at her strangely. “Why would you refuse?”

Twilight snorted. “You know.”

“I do, but I would like to hear you explain yourself. Humor an old mare.”

Twilight set down her cup, looking at the Aether with a gaze of steel. “Because I’ve been through enough already. I’ve had everything taken from me, never had a moment’s peace since Celestia tried to use me, and now that I’ve gone and died because of Luna, another one of your daughters, I want to stay dead. Let Celestia and Luna and Discord fight. I want no part of it anymore.”

Mother nodded. “Did it occur to you that you still have loved ones alive back in Equestria?”

Twilight Sparkle nodded. “They can handle themselves without me. It’s not like I’d ever see them again. And from what I can tell, death’s no big deal.”

“That sounds rather callous, wouldn’t you say?”

Twilight shook her head. “On the contrary. Life is suffering, I know that all too well. For the first time, I’ve found a bit of peace without having to worry about anything. It’s liberating, to say the least.”

“And what if I told you that by refusing to return to Equestria, not only would you throw Creation permanently out of balance, but you would also condemn everything in it, living and dead, to permanent destruction?”

“Then I’d tell you to take Creation and shove it up your ass. I’m tired of being a pawn. Take some other dead pony and send them back. I can’t have been the only one to have died with enough magic to return.”

Mother was calm. “Of course not. But it has to be you, because not only did you die with enough magic, but you have affected so much in your world that it would be impossible for any other being in all of Creation to occupy that spot. You were the catalyst for change in your world, Twilight Sparkle. It would be like replacing the gear in a watch with a slightly different one. It simply wouldn’t work.”

Twilight’s voice became hot with anger. “You’re telling me that there isn’t another Twilight to take my place?”

“No, because they’re all filling their niches right now. You are the very last one to arrive and make her decision.”

Twilight felt her head spin just a little. “What do you mean? There are other Twilights?”

Mother nodded. “Quite a few. Or their equivalents, anyway. For example, the one who arrived before you was a dragon.”
“I don’t understand.”

The Aether nodded. “I know. Let me explain. The goddesses you worship and the god you fear are something called archetypes. Do you know what that means?”

Twilight shook her head. “I know what an archetype is. It’s a literary term. It means something that is similar in all stories. Heroic archetypes, villainous archetypes, that sort of thing.”

Mother nodded. “Exactly right, and a little wrong. My archetypes are very simple. I only have a few, and only three of those are active. Points for guessing which three.”

Twilight thought for a moment, and then the answer became clear to her. “Order, Chaos, and…Balance?”

The goddess smiled. “Right. In addition to Luna, Celestia, and Discord, there are several others. Knowledge, represented by the sea, Death, represented by sand, Emotion, ruled by blood, Strife, represented by bone, and Growth, represented by wood. There are one or two others, but you should be familiar with all of those but the first.”

Twilight’s only response was a blank stare. Mother smiled, coughing slightly. “Oh, come now. You invoked them when you freed yourself from Celestia’s control. Remember that little chant Discord taught you? It wasn’t just a spell, it was a proper invocation, from back before Celestia bound the magic in your world. Every one of the ponies following you invoked them to free themselves from Celestia’s Order. This swung your world from Order, and gave the archetypes of Death, Emotion, Strife, and Growth free reign. All of which are very conducive to Chaos. You also invoked Knowledge as well, to a lesser degree. Have you ever been to the ocean, Twilight Sparkle?”

The little unicorn shook her head, taking a tentative sip of tea.

“I think with your propensity for knowledge, you’d find quite a connection to the ocean. But I digress. What you’ll find is that the three major archetypes, the ones you know well, are active. There are seven minor archetypes, and you know five of them. The other two aren’t important right now, but you would know them as Birth, represented by clay, and Life, represented by fire. When I say life, I mean the spark that exists within all living things, Twilight. You saw it when you first invoked the archetypes as a corona of flames around ponies. You can still see it now, if you try.”

“What does this have to do with me?” Twilight asked.

“The archetypes are decided by action, which requires free will. None of the archetypes may deprive any part of my creation of free will. Not even myself. But the free will of ponies, indeed the free will of all living things, may affect the course of the archetypes. For all intents and purposes, Twilight, every mortal is in fact a god to an immortal. They’re just very weak gods. By the support of the ones they rule over, visibly or invisibly, each of the archetypes gains and loses strength. They will never be dispelled entirely, but I can assure you their influence can be greatly diminished, to the point where they do not express themselves in that world any longer. This is where your world comes in.”

Twilight was silent, merely gesturing for the goddess to continue.

“Every world has a pivotal moment in which it is decided what path it will follow. Some turn to Order, others to Chaos, and some maintain a tenuous balance. These latter always will fall into one camp or the other, though. It was never my intention for them to remain undecided. The fall is decided by events in that realm. For example, the nighttime realm I spoke of has just seen the death of a very prominent governess, one who had finally perfected a way to grow food above ground without using weapons. She developed a strain of crop that is repellent to all creatures that would prey on ponies, and it grows best in moonlight. That realm has swung towards Order.”

“So the fields protect the ponies.” Twilight mused.

“Indeed. That realm is about to enter a new age of prosperity and pave the way for the eternal night to become the best thing that ever happened to that world.”

“And I’m assuming others have swung towards Chaos? What does that look like? Death and despair?” Twilight asked.

“Actually, there’s a perfect example that I’m rather interested in. Luna and Celestia annihilated each other long ago, and Discord eventually became so chaotic that he discorporated entirely. Ponies harnessed the inherent chaotic energy in his body and supercharged themselves with it using a process that was developed by a young unicorn who discovered the magical properties of lightning. They’re a race of nomadic shape shifters now, roaming across the wide plains building cities of spun sugar and moondust. Perfect utopia.”

“And which side of the scale does my world fit into?”

Mother’s voice became grim. “Yours is a special case, Twilight. It’s teetering between Luna, Celestia, and Discord right now. It threatens to tear itself apart, and that is not the worst of it. Luna’s darker self has freed itself from her control, which should not have happened. But it did. Her destructive tendencies went with it as well as something far, far worse.”

Twilight came to a realization. “You’re talking about the Shadow.”

Mother nodded. “That…thing…was not in my design. It is not of Creation, I know that much. And it is highly destructive, and corrupt beyond measure. It is Destruction, and it lives in your world, Twilight Sparkle. This is why you are needed to return to your world.”

The fire flared in the hearth, spilling out along the floor in the shape of a giant wheel made of many spokes, almost like a flower. Most of it burned a steady gold, but one spoke cradled a tiny spark of chill blue. As Mother spoke, it spread. “If it should overwhelm your realm, Twilight Sparkle, it will spread from there into other realms, those that have chosen their allegiance. It will destroy them as well, spreading unchecked from possibility to possibility. It is a parasite, a slow poison that I can feel even now gnawing holes in my being. If it consumes Equestria, it will have energy enough to move to others. And all of Creation will cease.”

A single petal went blue, the flame deepening to black. “It is not of Creation. It is dangerous and deadly, and the only reason I ever included Destruction inside of Luna was to balance out the light she carried inside of her. For her to lose control of it should have been impossible, but it wasn’t.”

Twilight glared at her. “Why did you include something that could get lose? Especially if it was that dangerous?”

The flames continued to turn, going from blue to black over and over, spreading with greater and greater speed. “When I first created Balance, she was far too corruptible. She would always side with Discord, or Celestia. She was born in the shape of a great dragon, and her scales were the black of night and her flame the purest white. She would always end up choosing, one or the other. So I remade her, melted her down and split her in two. She had the body of Order, feeling an intense affinity for her sister, but within her I had inserted a bit of the Shadow from around the edges of Creation. I folded it deep, over and over in such a way that it could never break free without destroying her. It kept her capricious and a little cruel, like her brother.”

The flame flickered and went out with a sense of finality. Mother looked at her expectantly. “I created Luna with the spirit of Destruction in her. It kept her on edge, gave her the ability to switch allegiances between Order and Chaos without hesitation whenever necessary. But her losing control of it has endangered all of Creation.”

Twilight was suddenly aware that flames were dancing under the coat of Mother, betraying the fact that she was in fact furious. “Fortunately, there is a solution. Unfortunately, it involves you. The Shadow moves swiftly, it already spreads its roots in your world. Celestia has no time to raise your child and prepare it to do battle with that thing. But you can take her place. Declare allegiance to Order or Chaos, and from there defeat the Shadow and banish it from Creation.”

Twilight was taken aback by this. “Choose a side?”

The Aether nodded. “Yes. Right now, Order and Chaos are perfectly balanced. With your world’s alignment will come the combined power of either Order or Chaos, enough to defeat this threat.”

Twilight gulped. “But how do I choose?”

Mother gestured to the basement. “That’s why I said that you were the last to arrive. In the basement, a sort of parliament has been assembled. All of you, every single permutation of you, having created the turning point of their world, is waiting for you. Each side has elected a representative, and they will be attempting to sway your opinion on which force is the correct one to use.”

Twilight cast her gaze towards the basement door. “And what happens if I should choose one and leave the other?”

Mother sighed. “Then the balance will be undone, and swing in favor of Order or Chaos across all of Creation. With your help, one side shall prevail. It is up to you to choose which. It will not be an easy choice, but it is the only one you can make. To choose neither would doom your realm and so destroy Creation.”

“But that would destroy Creation in the long run! Isn’t too much Order or Chaos just as bad?”

Mother nodded. “Normally you’d be right. But I have ways of creating balance that might just surprise you. Your choice is important, but I can assure you that I will make sure the cosmos continues on.”

Twilight took a deep breath in. “You know what? I’m still half-tempted to just take off towards the mountains. I don’t appreciate being made a pawn again.”

“I can understand the sentiment. It must be frustrating, seeing me limit your free will like this. However, such is the role you must fill for now. Are you ready to begin?” Mother asked.

Twilight shook her head. “No. No I’m not. You and I need to straighten some things out first.”

The Aether gestured. “I’m all ears.”

“Firstly, I think that you’re incompetent beyond all reasoning for allowing Luna to release that creature, even if it was unplanned. You should have seen that possibility a very long time ago.”

“I agree, it was foolish. But I can assure you that there was exactly zero possibility that it would escape when I bound it to her.”

Twilight growled. “So you can’t predict that thing? That makes me feel a lot better about working with you. And why didn’t you step in before things got that bad?”

Mother actually chuckled at this. “Twilight, I can’t. No more than you could cast a spell to manipulate a single cell in your body. Luna and Celestia and Discord are my children and caretakers, they are responsible for affecting events in my realms. I can only ever influence things here, and subtly. Even if I could, I would never interfere with my Creation.”

“And why not?”

“Because what would the purpose of giving my children and by default yourself, free will, if I never gave you the opportunity to use it? Every choice falls along a spectrum of will, and even plans like Celestia’s came about because of the choices of her subjects and herself. When she chooses, she represents the will of her subjects. If I were to interfere, I would negate the will of her people. If I were to interfere, I would take away the greatest gift I could give you. The power of choice is one you must never underestimate, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Not even if it means the destruction of everything?”

Mother’s face wrinkled distastefully. “Twilight, I could ‘kill’ the Shadow, but I think the price paid would be too great.”

“How so?”

“It would be akin to killing a spider by burning down an entire city. The fact is, although I am omnipotent, that power and my awareness only extend to things in Creation. Since it isn’t, I cannot sense it. I cannot be more precise. Luna and Celestia couldn’t sense it either. Discord couldn’t and he probably wouldn’t. He never did see the point of listening to me or his sisters. But you, one who dwells in the world it inhabits, could bring about its destruction much more precisely than I could. And I would never willingly destroy any aspect of my creation.”

The unicorn sighed. “Why did it have to be me?”

Mother got up from her chair and hugged her. Twilight noticed that she felt unusually cold and clammy. “I know it seems silly, and unfair. But this is simply the lay of the land. We can only choose to travel it, for good or ill, or we can turn back and never know what might have been. There are those born to greatness, Twilight, and those who have it forced upon them. You were born to have it forced upon you. I wish it could be another way, but it simply cannot.”

“I could choose to keep on walking towards the mountains, still.”

Mother nodded. “You could. But I don’t think you would. You say that you would let the world burn, but I think when you say it, you don’t consider the implications. Tarantella would die. Your friends would die. Your brother would die, your followers would die. And then they would be dead for eternity, Twilight. Because soon, I would die. And with my death, Creation would die as well. And this is why I must ask you to make your choice now, because I will never deprive you of your ability to choose. What will you do?”

Twilight thought about that. She was so very, very tired. Without her, Tarantella and her friends and Radiant Zenith and all those she held dear would perish. She would perish. Everything she had ever known, everything that was or could be was at risk. She had the right to choose destruction if she wished. But inside of her, deep down, she knew.

“I’ve made my choice. And I will choose to fight again.”

Mother nodded in approval. “Thank you, Twilight. You have sacrificed much. I can think of no other being I would rather take your place, even if it could be otherwise. Are you ready?”

“No. One more thing.”

Mother tilted her head. “And what would that be?”

“Whatever I choose, from then on, you let me be. I will not be a pawn. I want to be a player.”

Mother’s gaze turned from comforting to steely. “Tread carefully, Twilight Sparkle. You know not what you ask, and you certainly don’t want to let the archetypes hear you say that. You might get what you wish for.”

The unicorn reached inside of herself, finding the steel that she had used to bend her enemies before. Her gaze narrowed, and she set her shoulders defiantly. “I’ve not been in control of my actions since birth. You are using me, just as Luna and Celestia and Discord have. You want someone who fights for creation? Fine. I’ll do it. But in return, I want power, and a reassurance that you won’t interfere with that power. Yes, I’ll die if I don’t fight for you. But I’ll drag you down with me, and you can’t give the reins to anyone else.”

The Aether rumbled dangerously outside, and Mother scowled. “You’re far too clever for your own good, Twilight Sparkle. It sounds like you want to be a goddess yourself.”

“For the price of all of Creation, that doesn’t sound too unreasonable. If I go back, I want to be able to kick Celestia’s teeth in. Let me have equal power in my own little realm. In return, you get all of Creation, and I get my assurance that Celestia will not interfere with my life again. Same goes for Discord and Luna. I no longer trust any of them.”

Mother’s cold gaze drilled into her, pinning Twilight like a nail through some exotic bug in a collection. “You are no champion.”

“No. But I am a fighter, and believe me when I say that if you give me what I want, I will fight like nothing you have ever seen. You want your enemies crushed? I can do that, but I want to make my own moves and crush my own enemies.”

“You cannot kill Celestia, or Luna, or Discord. You know that.”

Twilight laughed humorlessly, not letting her fear show. “Of course I know that. They’re integral. I just want to be able to have enough power to defend myself from them. Personally, I find your reassurances that ponies have free will, and that our actions influence the archetypes, a bit suspect. After all, I’ve spent my life having my free will yanked around. Now give it back to me. And give me the tools to keep it.”

The white unicorn’s mouth twisted into something that was neither a grimace nor a smile. “It’s not that simple. Every god or goddess expresses an archetype. That’s why I wanted you to choose a side. Order and Chaos are the two most powerful, and can do you the most good. To exist independently of them would be negating the point of you entirely.”

“Then give me one of the lesser archetypes. Knowledge, for example. There is no reason that I cannot wield the power of Knowledge and another power, is there?”

Mother flickered again, and Twilight took a step back. “Twilight, do not ask this of me. Any other boon I would grant, but not this one. The power of wielding two archetypes would kill you. You would not be a proper goddess, forever torn between two aspects of reality. I cannot give you domain over both, and expect you to perform your duties.”

“And choosing only one will permanently align me with that side. This is what I want. Let me worry about whether or not I could handle the power. But I will have the power to fight Celestia.” She locked eyes with the Aether. “I’m not asking for domain over all of Knowledge, or to become a full-blown goddess. But lend me that power. Give me the ability to truly choose for myself what it is I do. Do this for me, and I will be the fiercest warrior you have seen. I will destroy your enemies, and keep Creation safe.”

Her voice nearly caught, she was so scared, but she managed to continue. “You go on and on about free will, but from what I can see ponies haven’t had much of a choice in how they live their lives. Give me power, and let me make my choices. And those are my terms.”

Mother was silent for a long moment, and Twilight was suddenly very aware that she had just demanded the powers of a goddess from the being responsible for…everything. “Your hubris will be your downfall, Twilight Sparkle. But I am hardly in a position to deny you your request. Choose your side, and then come and take your power. I cannot guarantee it will not come without cost, but you will have it. But if you should fail in your duties to me, and your realm be overrun by the Shadow, I will have no choice. I will purge it in cleansing fire, and it will be on your head that I will have done so. Will that suffice?”

Twilight got out of her chair, making sure that both of her back hooves landed at the same time, or as close as she could make them. “I suppose. Let’s begin, shall we?” Her voice was steady, and her motions confident, but deep inside, Twilight was screaming in panic.She had no idea what she was getting herself into, and the thought of going down to the basement and making that choice terrified her.

She and Mother walked to the basement door, and Mother pushed the door open wide. “I’ll be along in a moment, I need to fetch the elected representatives for the council below. You wouldn’t believe how hard it was to find two neutral parties. In the meantime, please, get acquainted with yourself.”

Twilight nodded, stepping through the door. It swung closed behind her, revealing the familiar staircase she had used so many times. Her hoof traced the worn wood lovingly, taking in every grain and flaw before she laid her hoof along the banister and slowly began her trek down the ancient wooden steps. She could see that her basement actually remained untouched, every piece of equipment still in its original place, freshly clean and greeting her cheerfully. A door opened on the side of the staircase, and Twilight’s breath caught in her throat to see a very familiar face.

Spike’s grin was luminous as she all but flew down the stairs, catching him in a tight hug as bitter and joyous tears streamed down her face. She didn’t say a word, just held him as tightly as she could, not ever wanting to let him go even though she already had back in life.

“You looked surprised to see me.” he rumbled.

Twilight laughed through her tears, her voice halting. “I suppose that I should have expected you here, it’s just that…I thought you had…”

“Moved on?” he said gently, still cradling her close. “Not without saying goodbye to you first. Never without a goodbye.”

She felt herself sobbing into his chest, the black scales feeling surprisingly warm and yielding to her. “Oh, Spike…I don’t know what to do, I just want it to all be over so badly. I just want to rest, but I can’t. I’ve got to make this choice, and I can’t do it, I just can’t. I can’t do this, Spike, I can’t do it.”

Spike released her from his embrace, holding her at arm’s length. “Twilight, you’re capable of more than you know. I know that you’re tired, and I know that you’re hurt in more ways than one. I don’t like that you have to make this choice either, but it sounds like you have to. It’s completely unfair that the burden is getting laid on you like this. But I’ll be right here to help you.”

Twilight sniffed, drying her tears. “Spike…could you just…”

The dragon didn’t need her to continue. Gently, he placed his claws around her, holding her with the same grace and care one would use to pick up a newborn. She sighed, closing her eyes as he cradled her gently there in that stairwell, feeling calm and at rest for the first time in a very long time indeed.

PreviousChapters Next