• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,016 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,016

PreviousChapters Next
Black Pawn to White Queen

Twilight stood at the head of the table, as was her right. Luna stood to one side, off in the shadows. Radiant Zenith sat at her left hoof, and Spike was at her right. Before her were the six Wielders of Harmony, garbed in adamantium plate and watching with great intent. Sparks in pink, orange, blue, red, and purple danced across the surface of the metal, and each one of Twilight’s allies’ faces was drawn, set, and determined. Each knew the risks involved, the chances they took by leaving their families behind to stand up against one of the most powerful forces ever assembled in Equestria. For the first time in each of their lives, they would join in battle against Equestria.

“You’ve all made your goodbyes, and made peace with yourselves. You are all willing and dedicated to join me in my cause against Celestia, all for your own, different reasons. You know the risks, and what’s at stake if we lose. Is that right?” Twilight asked. Her voice was hard and emotionless. She had put herself to the side, and let the leader in her step forward.

The group nodded, and Twilight looked at each in turn before continuing. “We are going to the edge of the Forest. We’re going to fight against Celestia and her Sunborn. We’ll be taking Applebloom back, and if we can all bring Celestia down, together, then we may be able to force a stop to this war once and for all. It’s been fairly bad for the Forest. Radiant Zenith has agreed to hold off on unleashing her power in the east until after we arrive, and Celestia’s army has already made considerable progress in the past day. Tomorrow morning, a massive army, located in Ponyville, will begin pressing south; though for the past several hours Radiant Zenith has been applying pressure to keep them on their hooves. Come tomorrow morning, however, Radiant Zenith will not be able to exercise her power outside of the Everfree Forest, and the army will begin their push. I suspect that their progress will be swift by force of numbers alone. We estimate that approximately eighty five percent of Celestia’s available forces have been deployed. So we must hurry. Are you ready?”

Twilight looked at each pony in turn. Fluttershy was first, mane pulled back in a bun and drawn out of her face. Her eyes glimmered with fear, Twilight could see that much, but her face was as rock, expression grim and angry. Her eyes crackled, and Twilight realized that she was on the verge of unleashing her Stare already.

Next was Rarity. She was a different sort entirely; calm and serene as she met Twilight’s gaze levelly. Her hair was loose, needing no restraint due to its short cut. Her face was an unreadable mask, but Twilight could tell by the set of her shoulders and agitated tail flicks that she inhabited a place of strange, tranquil rage. The Sunborn had dared to harm her sister, and she would not rest until the last of the offenders was ash.

Applejack refused to even hide her feelings. She was worried sick about her sister, but no force in heaven or on earth would stop her from getting her back. Twilight wasn’t even sure death would be a barrier to her. She wore her mane in a braid, laid back and coiled around her neck. Her tail was tied into its infamous knot, and she had somehow woven weights into it. Twilight had watched her test it on a small wooden table. The thing had shattered into a million pieces.

Pinkie Pie’s hair had gone flat, bound into a simple tail. Normally Twilight would have been worried by this. Flat mane meant that she wasn’t emotionally stable. But somehow, Twilight could sense that she wasn’t in that same place. No, Pinkie Pie was something Twilight had never seen her become before. She was focused. Entirely, utterly, without reservation or doubt. She had her eyes on a goal, and she would stop at nothing to achieve it. And that was more frightening than an unstable Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow Dash was last. Her mane, as per usual, was loose. She had somehow found red paint, and smeared it across her eyes, speckled it across her face, and wiped it across her mouth. From a distance, it looked startlingly like blood. Anypony seeing that face would surely hesitate before attacking. Rainbow wouldn’t give them a chance to recover. A mace dangled at her hip, and it looked like she knew how to use it. And her face…it was the worst of them all. It held a resigned weariness, the slightest hint of worry, and a cynical, experienced core. But Twilight thought she could see signs of something far more disturbing. Her wings were slightly raised, her breathing labored a bit, and her eyes almost shone with an unpleasant light. Rainbow Dash was excited. She was going to slaughter, and she wanted a taste of blood.

More or less satisfied that they were ready, Twilight nodded. “Luna will be manning the defenses at the castle, and Radiant Zenith will be coming along. Radiant Zenith is stronger in these lands, and Luna still needs time to recover fully. Spike is coming with us as well. Radiant Zenith wishes him to be by her side, and he has agreed to do so.”

The dragon nodded his assent. “I can do more good in other parts of the battlefield, keeping watch over you, Twilight. But I will be ready in case I am needed.” he rumbled. “And I’m restricting myself to the Regulars. I’ll not roast Applebloom by mistake.”

Twilight nodded. “Please, depart and wait for me in the study. I’ll be along shortly.” She watched as the ponies filed out, chattering amongst themselves. Spike stayed by her side, resolute in his devotion. Radiant Zenith, seeing that Twilight wished to speak with Luna privately, departed as well.

The Alicorn looked at her strangely. “Are you well, Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight shook her head. “You’re planning something.” she said bluntly.

The Alicorn’s wings snapped open in shock. She opened her mouth to deny it, to defend her honor, but no words came out. Finally, she bowed her head in acknowledgement. “It is true.”

“Would you mind telling me what it is?” Twilight said icily. It wasn’t a request.

Luna’s voice was full of shame. “I cannot.”

“Bullshit.” Spike rumbled. “You’ve played us both already, Princess. We won’t be used again. What is it that you’re holding back? Tell us!”

Luna’s shout echoed strangely throughout the room. “I cannot!” Twilight and Spike took a step back. Her voice dropped once more. “It has been forbidden.”

“By who? Celestia?” Twilight asked. “We freed you from that!”

Luna shook her head miserably. “There are things in Creation more powerful than my sister or I, Twilight Sparkle. I cannot, else I risk my permanent destruction.”

That was a bit of news Twilight had not heard before. More powerful than the ones who had created…everything? More powerful than Luna, or Discord, or Celestia? It was troubling, to say the least.

“I’ll not be used, Luna. I’d die first.”

Luna laughed, a soft laugh halfway between a chuckle and a sob. “You won’t be taken by Celestia, Twilight. I’ll see to that. And I promise, you will have your revenge tonight. Oh, don’t deny it,” she said, noting the look of protest on the unicorn’s face. “I know that despite all your talk of peace, you want to lash out at Celestia. And I can promise that tonight, with my help, you’ll make her bleed.”

Luna’s horn lit up. “I promise, Twilight. I will not harm you, nor will I allow Celestia to make you hers again. My plans run with yours, not against them. And I have gifts for you, should you choose to accept them.”

Twilight weighed what had been said. Luna was planning something. Of course she was, she had to be. She hadn’t spoken to Twilight since she had come down from her meditation chambers this afternoon. That session must have revealed something to her. And it involved Twilight, playing her role. But she had no other recourse. Without Luna, she was finished. With no options remaining, she bowed her head.

“Fine,” she growled. “I will accept your gifts.”

Luna smiled. “The first is for your appearance.” Her horn flashed, and Twilight’s armor faded from white into a dusky gray. Whorls of black curled lazily through the armor, giving the impression of smoke. Two slits opened in the back, heavily armored in much the same manner as Pegasus armor was. Twilight gasped as she felt an all-too-familiar tingle in between her shoulder blades. A brief moment later, a set of wings erupted from her back.

They were not grey, like her first pair had been four years ago. They were black, a deep black that shone with undertones of purple. The feathers were sleek and shiny, precisely tipped and well-oiled. Twilight felt a set of slim, tapered wingblades materialize on their alula, and she snapped them forward reflexively. They cut through the air with a lethal hiss. And that was not all. As Twilight watched, a thin trail of smoke began to hover above them. Twilight realized that it would trail behind her when she flew.

“First impressions are important, Twilight Sparkle. Especially on the battlefield. Your friend Rainbow Dash knows that well. The more fearsome you appear, the more your enemies will fear you, and the harder your allies will fight. Obviously the wings are not permanent, they will last until tomorrow night’s moonrise, but they will be there. You will be a commanding presence on the battlefield, for sure and certain. Especially with the sort of creature Radiant Zenith commands at your back.”

Twilight had never brought that topic up with her mentor and advisor of these past years. “What exactly does she…command?” Twilight asked. “It sounds like she can do some pretty nasty stuff.”

A shadow fell across Luna’s face. “When I was Nightmare Moon, I fancied myself Queen of Darkness. I will never claim that title again, not while Radiant roams this earth. She has told you that this is a place of balance?”

Twilight nodded. “She keeps it that way on purpose.”

Luna grimaced. “What she does not tell you is that the Everfree forest balances all of Equestria. And my sister spent one thousand years filling every corner of the land that she could reach with light.”

Spike hissed. “And all of the dark has gathered here.”

The Alicorn nodded. “You have seen her Guardians of the Forest, correct? The not-ponies?”

“I have. They’re frightening in more ways than I can imagine. I’ve seen what they do to ponies that they catch.” Twilight said with a shudder.

“Those are her scavengers. They represent about the same threat as a blowfly or wasp, compared to some of what she has in debt to her.”

Icy fear gripped Twilight then. “But she doesn’t seem like that kind of pony. She’s so kind…”

“Make no mistake, Twilight Sparkle. She is not only their keeper, in some cases she acts as a jailor. Many of the foulest things in this Forest were put here by her. And she beat them in combat and keeps them in thrall. She is not some doddering mare. Radiant Zenith practices old magic, back when it still roamed unbound she bent it to her will as easily as you might turn the page of a book. Be glad she is on your side.” Luna stopped, seeing the looks on Twilight and Spike’s faces. “My apologies. She will not harm you, I know that much. Will you receive your second gift from me?”

It was nearly time. Twilight bowed her head. “Very well.”

Luna smiled reassuringly. “Pull out your crystal. I want to give you a gift.”

Twilight’s horn lit up, and the breastplate detached itself, revealing the gem socketed inside. It glowed with faint silver light; pulsing like it had a heartbeat of its own. Luna’s smile grew wider as she looked at it closely. A hum escaped her, unusually low and melodious, as her horn bent and touched the crystal in the breastplate. There was a rush of icy energy, the crackle of flame, and the crystal flared brightly before settling back into its normal rhythm.

Twilight reattached the breastplate, noticing that there was now a starburst, six pointed, right where her crystal was set. It pulsed just as the gem itself had, raised and glowing ever so slightly. As it settled back into place, Twilight noticed an icy feeling near her chest, one that tingled and refreshed her wonderfully. All of her previous weariness and mental fatigue seemed to vanish, and she realized as she straightened up that she had been holding her shoulders low to the ground.

“I’ve allowed your crystal to conduct both Breaking and Binding magic more effectively now. You had it done very well, but I’ve made a few alterations. Try channeling Breaking magic.”

Twilight did as she was told, reaching for her emotional center, selecting an equal amount of positive and negative emotion, and lighting her horn with it. She was surprised at how much easier it had become.

“Your skill in balancing emotion has improved. That silver light means you are in a state of emotional harmony. And your crystal is clearly your focus point, which is good. By channeling through yourself, you have unlocked much potential. Had you this much power four years ago, I would not have needed to give you mine. You have matured as a spellcaster.”

Twilight grudgingly bowed her head and mumbled her thanks. Luna continued. “I will watch over this castle while you are gone. If the worst should pass, I may be able to hold it against Celestia for a time. But I will not take to the field today. My power is not yet great enough to have any hope against my sister, especially with my Shadow gone. So I have placed a single spell in that crystal, one that will take you to the Mountain at sunrise. Right by the pool, actually.”

“Where is it? The Shadow, that is.” Twilight asked. “Should we be worried about it coming back?”

Luna shook her head. “Worry on one thing at a time, Twilight Sparkle. The Shadow is gone, far and away gone for now. I do not think it will return soon. But right now, your conflict is with Celestia. Focus on her, and carry the day.” She straightened up, and did something Twilight had seen her do only rarely. A wing fell gently across Twilight’s back, and Luna drew her in close, holding her tightly. “Know that, no matter what happens, I have been and always will be your friend, Twilight Sparkle. And it has been an honor.”

The unicorn stood frozen for a moment, stock still, before returning the embrace. “Ponies are going to die, aren’t they?” she asked. Luna only nodded. “It’s not fair.”

“No, Twilight. It isn’t fair. But it cannot always be fair, and you have borne more hardships than most. Come tomorrow morning, however, it will all be over. I promise.”

Twilight looked up at her, for one brief moment letting herself be that innocent young mare she had been once. “Can you promise that? That you won’t let Celestia have me, and it’ll be over tomorrow?”

Luna’s voice was serious. “I swear it on my Power, Celestia shall not have you for her own.”

Twilight, satisfied, broke away from the embrace. “Thank you, Luna. Without your help, I’d be dead right now. Sometimes I wish I had never known what Celestia had planned, but I realize how much better this is. We should be allowed to make our own choices.”

Spike rumbled in agreement. “And above all, we should be allowed to live freely, without fear. Because of your help, that’s a possibility. I’d have lost Twilight long ago if not for your assistance.”

Luna bowed her head slightly. “Without you two, my gestures would have been for naught. Your strength took a rebellion and forged it into something more. After this is done, an empire is waiting to be born anew in this place. And I look forward to building it with you, together.” Her wings flared. “Now, go. The sun rises soon, and I will not be able to hold in in check much longer.”

Twilight and Spike turned and left, the door shutting behind them and leaving Luna to her own devices. She watched the door close fondly, her smile both sad and wistful. That would be the last time she saw Twilight Sparkle, for all of her talk. The spell in the crystal would last until the critical moment, that much she knew. She only hoped that when the crystal was overloaded, Twilight’s death was quick. It should be, that much magical energy was impossible for anypony save a goddess to endure.


Spike leaned against Twilight reassuringly as they stood in the summoning circle, facing one another. Eight were leaving the Regia, the five Wielders, a dragon, the witch of the Forest, and the last Bearer. Twilight reached for the crystal with her mind, using some of its vast power to begin the transportation process. She reached for each pony in the circle with her. Teleportation had always been her specialty, and now that she had taken time to devote herself to magical study, she had truly become a master of the art.

First was Applejack, to her right. She felt the flame in her burning a steady orange, hot and angry, and wove it into the spell. With Applejack’s soul bound, the magic would ensure her body followed. The next was Fluttershy, a delicate pink flame that seemed to waver at the slightest provocation, but was surprisingly resilient. Then came Pinkie Pie in blue, and Rainbow Dash in red. Both had high-burning souls, leaping about and full of life. And then came Rarity, burning a beautiful purple.

Radiant Zenith was next, her soul a shimmering silver that Twilight realized mirrored the Breaking magic that she was using exactly. Fascinated, she took a closer look, and what she saw only served to pique her curiosity further. Radiant Zenith’s soul did not just possess magic, like her friends, it was magic, pure and unchained. Luna’s warnings echoed clear in her mind, and Twilight realized that her soul reflected the nature of how she used magic. It wasn’t just a tool for Radiant Zenith. The fact of the matter was that she was a part of magic, just as much as magic was a part of her.

And then came Spike, his soul burning the same shade as his fire, a brilliant green. Twilight saw love there, and a fierce desire to protect those he cared about. She saw him full of equal parts rage and calm, his being existing on a knife’s edge between the two. She felt him tense a bit beside her, but he soon relaxed, trusting her completely. Twilight smiled to herself as she gathered her friends close, and with a rush of wind, they disappeared from the Regia. Some of them for the very last time.


Sweetie Belle ducked behind the parapet as another wave of spells slammed into the stone, some of them soaring right through where her head would have been. The Lunar Guards beside her were fending off the Sunborn as well as they could, but their foes were simply too well-trained and protected. She felt a line of pain running down one side of her leg, and the now-familiar trickle of blood seeping from the wound. Scowling, she used her magic to repair the flesh wound, panting a bit with the exertion. As another wave of spells travelled overhead, she took a swig of water. The Sunborn had settled in outside of the walls, and were trading blows with the Guards, who were more magically skilled than they had anticipated. Several of them had fallen already, and for each casualty the Guards had inflicted, the Sunborn seemed determined to give two or three back. But she was doing no good here. As a wave of force and electricity sped forth from the walls, lighting up the sky, Sweetie Belle ran down the steps, taking them two at a time. Just in time, too. A massive bolt of force gouged a crater right where she was sitting.

It had been unnerving at first, seeing the massive army marching out of the burning woods in front of the Fort. She had personally seen the last of the refugees pass by in boats not half an hour before that. It had been terrifying when the first shots had been fired, and the screams of dying fighters filled the air. Fully one-half of the Lunar Reserves were here, along with about one quarter of the Lunar Guard. They were elite fighters, the best of the best. But Celestia’s super-soldiers were chewing through them with alarming speed. The majority of the weapons had been sent north, to combat the Legions gathering in Ponyville. Worst of all, Celestia herself was watching from the edge of the battlefield, waiting for the inevitable sally forth from the Fort, where she could pick them off.

They were losing, and badly. Sweetie Belle knew that much. But there was nothing that could be done about that. She sprinted across the courtyard, to the rallying area by the main gate. There, a crowd of ponies had gathered, milling about and organizing themselves into companies. She had been lucky. Scootaloo and herself had been placed into the same group, called the Irregulars, both as a joke and a descriptor. The Irregulars were a motley group of fighters, their weapons ranging from hammers to spears to flails. Sweetie Belle saw one with a trident, a pony she knew only as Brick. Why a none-too-bright Earth pony had become a fisher she would never know, but he definitely knew how to use it. “You seen Scootaloo?” she asked him. He gave a little smile, nodded, and pointed to a nearby stack of barrels.

Scootaloo was busy wrapping her hooves before putting the horseshoes on. Spying Sweetie Belle, she gave a small smile before fastening the first one into place. “How is it up there?” she asked, wincing as the weight dragged on her hoof a little. She gave an experimental punch to make sure that it still worked well.

“They’re tearing us to pieces. We’ll get the order to move soon.” Sweetie Belle replied. “If you like, I can enchant that so it’s a bit lighter.”

Scootaloo fastened the second one. “Nah, I’m used to it. Save your magic for yourself. Spellcasters get tired easily in battle. You’ll need that.” With one smooth movement, she slammed her back half into two more horseshoes, giving her kicks added power. She buzzed her wings, rising into the air a bit. “Are you ready?”

Sweetie Belle nodded. “I am.” She was. The fear she had felt at the beginning of the battle, what had felt like a lifetime ago, was gone now. It had disappeared when she saw Applebloom directing soldiers along the line. That had settled it for her. Her friend wasn’t just a grunt, she hadn’t been forced into anything. She was leading the Sunborn, and she liked it. Sweetie Belle’s fear had vanished then, and she knew without a doubt that she was perfectly capable of killing. If Applebloom tried to hurt her or Scootaloo, she’d be doing her best to defend herself. Her hoof drifted to the jambiyah. Sweetie Belle would use it, if she had to.

A burly stallion at the head of the assembled ponies blew a horn, the brassy sound echoing off of the walls of Fort Dauntless. “Listen up!” he called. “We’re waiting on a signal. You’ll know it when you see it, so be ready! No matter what happens once you get out there, remember that your enemies are the Regulars and those other freaks!”

There was a cheer from the assembled ponies, and Sweetie Belle joined in, more to give herself confidence than anything else.

“The Regia just contacted us, and they said they’re sending reinforcements that’ll help us turn the tide here! So do well, keep moving, and we’ll see you back here soon! Silent Shield is currently engaged in the second line of defense up north, but he sends his best regards, and knows you’ll make him proud!”

The cheer came again, more of a roar. Sweetie Belle’s horn twinged, and she felt something powerful and magical building in the air. Lightning flickered through the clear night sky above them, without the sound of thunder to accompany it. The gates began to rumble open, and as the tide of fighters began to stream out of the gate, Sweetie Belle saw a bolt of arcane energy slam into the ground in front of the Fort. Before she was borne away by the tide of ponies, she caught a sight of massive wings, and recognized that Spike was crouching on the ground ahead.

A shriek came from the air above her, and Sweetie Belle saw eight others, just like Spike but in different colors, plummeting from the sky. Twilight Sparkle was here. And she had brought Radiant Zenith, which meant that her sister and the other Wielders were there as well. Hope filled her heart as she charged forward, making it through the gate as another volley of magic shot overhead, arcing forwards as they thundered towards the enemy lines.

The Regulars and Sunborn surged forwards as well, as Celestia lifted off from her vantage point near the edge of the woods, trailing golden fire behind her. Spike leapt into the air, Twilight and her friends vanished from view, and Sweetie Belle forced herself to focus on the charging ranks in front of her. The lines drew close, everything seemed to slow down, and Sweetie Belle drew two of her daggers with a snarl.

Then the lines closed, and everypony started to try and kill one another.

PreviousChapters Next