• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,012 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,012

PreviousChapters Next
Before the Game

The forest road was quiet and still, kept in a sort of perpetual twilight by the thick foliage overhead. Twilight was reminded of many different walks under canopies that she had taken on her journey, from her first foray into the Everfree with her friends nearly two decades ago to her adventure with Morning Star that had cemented her supposed love for him to the many, many walks she had taken through the Everfree with Golden Radiance, or Radiant Zenith, or Tara as she had considered different facets of her duties in the Ever Free. As she recalled these moments, she noticed that the trees began to take on different qualities.

The massive monarchs of the woods were normally gray, but to her they appeared to gain color and texture depending on what she was thinking of. A snowy walk with Tarantella during one winter caused phantom drifts of white powder to pile up around their skeletal remains, whereas the smell of fruit began to spill from the trees when she recalled a sunny day at the Apple farm, where she had met Honey Crisp for the first time.

Golden Radiance smiled as fiery tones rippled through the trees overhead, a reflection of the first Running of The Leaves that Twilight Sparkle had ever run. “This place is not immutable, as I see you’ve figured out. The Aether responds to your thoughts and consciousness in the form of physical changes. Your memories help to strengthen the fabric of this place as you change it. At the beginning of time, before lives were created and destroyed, there was nothing here, not even mist. But as life passed through this place, so too did experiences.”

“Everything you see here is the product of life and death working together to create things. The Aether is very much a product of balance.” Morning Star added. “As more ponies and Gryphons and Minotaurs pass through, this land becomes more and more defined and expanded. As you get closer to the center, those experiences run together into the biggest layer of them all. Like an onion, but each layer inside is bigger than the one on the outside.”

Twilight furrowed her brow. “I thought that the Aether was a goddess. But this place is also called the Aether?”

Golden Radiance shook her head. “No, Twilight. The Aether is both goddess and realm. She is tied to this place as much as it is tied to her. It is an extension of her self, but she can also be seen as an archetype, the expression of this realm.”

“From here, Mother’s essence runs out through the afterlife into the primal seas of Creation, spilling out into the world. All of the worlds.” Morning Star added.

Golden Radiance shot him a look. “Hold your tongue. You know that she wants to explain that herself.” she snapped.

He bowed his head meekly. “Apologies. I’m a little over-eager, that’s all.”

Twilight cocked her head. “Why?”

Morning Star looked at her strangely. “Well, I suppose it’s because I died without telling you my side of things, and why I wasn’t permitted to continue on to those mountains you were so eager to get to.”

Twilight snorted. “You died because you tried to sell me out to Celestia like the traitorous bastard you were, and don’t even try to spin it any other way.”

“I died believing in my heart that you were a beautiful, intelligent, and principled mare who would understand Celestia’s side of things and sacrifice herself for the greater good. Admittedly, I was wrong about your understanding her, but as I watched, I began to develop an appreciation of your side of things. You proved in your very first winter that you didn’t need Celestia to survive, and that if you were left to your own devices, you could lead ponies just as well as she could. In fact, the only reason you didn’t do better than her is because you were also trying to conceal your existence and fight a war.”

Golden Radiance rolled her eyes. “Tell her the whole story, if you’re going to talk about it.”

Morning Star gave her a patronizing grin. “I planned on it.”

Twilight looked him in the eye. “Tell me right here and now that you didn’t wish me harm at the end of your life.”

The stallion’s cheeky grin diminished somewhat. “Of course I did, a little bit. I was in quite a bit of pain, and under considerable stress. But I’ve had four years to cool off. And I’m under the impression that if you were to ally yourself with Celestia instead of working against her, you might be able to accomplish some real good, given time. But I still believe that Celestia is the driving force for prosperity in the world, and that you need to work with her closely.”

Twilight’s nostrils flared. “How can you possibly justify her actions? There’s nothing there that isn’t horrible on multiple levels! The elimination of free will, the attempted genocide of other species, the years of manipulation, nothing there is good!”

“Her actions can all be justified using your rebellion, actually.” Morning Star retorted. “You say she’s trying to remove free will, which she is. Look what you did with it. Equestria’s on the way to its most destructive conflict ever. More so because you’ve actively involved other races as well, all of them possessing free will. Free will drove ponies to fight and kill one another over ideology, to lie and cheat and steal because they decided it was justified. When Celestia controlled Equestria through the Elements, even with limited power she was able to drive our race into an unheard of level of prosperity for centuries. We can harvest crops three times a year whereas other races can only do it once.”

“And you’re in favor of killing those other races.” Twilight accused.

“No, actually. Her plan was to let nature run its course. Equestrian expansion would eventually result in the assimilation and gradual extinction of the other races, simply because they would be unable to match the level of cooperation we could achieve with one another if we were truly of one mind.”

Twilight’s lip curled. “Like Changelings?”

Morning Star nodded. “Exactly. The oppression you’re thinking of would entail crushing all individuality, leaving no room for expression or thought. Celestia knows that would be both wrong and horrible. Your foal would have worked to remove violent, confrontational, and morally reprehensible thoughts at the source, before they manifested themselves. Ponies would never have thought them, simply because the thoughts would never have the opportunity to take root. By focusing energy on productive and good thoughts, we would eventually eliminate the need to remove those thoughts.”

“I don’t follow.” Twilight said. “You’re saying that Celestia thought that ponies would never have bad thoughts after a certain period?”

The stallion was excited. “That’s it exactly. After several generations, all the social mores that would have made those thoughts manifest would disappear. There would never be a reason for ponies to think those thoughts, so they wouldn’t.”

“Because Celestia manipulated the system to ensure that they’d never get that chance?”

Morning Star rolled his eyes. “Yes, we all know that she manipulated you, and as a result your happy little life was taken from you. And I recognize that the results were pretty horrible. But you have to look at it from her side, Twilight. The Celestial Wars showed her that discord and strife killed ponies far more effectively than they could themselves. It was Celestia’s love for her ponies that formed her plan, not some sociopathic need for control. The life of one mare, one that she tried to make as happy as possible while she was alive, for the ensured prosperity of her chosen race for eternity. When you look at it from her perspective, you seem fairly selfish by denying that opportunity.”

Twilight’s retort was quick. “It’s not about me! It’s the fact that I disagree with her morals entirely. The fact that we feel negativity is a wonderful thing, because without it we could never experience the full range of what we are capable of emotionally.”

“Oh, so you enjoy feeling pain, fear, anger, and heartbreak?” Morning Star fired back. “I’ve watched you cry yourself to sleep at night, Twilight. You certainly didn’t look like you were enjoying that.”

“Maybe not, but it made the good times that much better. And hardship will leave you stronger for having endured it.” Twilight said resolutely.

“Or leave you broken beyond repair, like you almost were.” Morning Star snorted. “You’re speaking from a limited perspective. I honestly expected you to have a more intelligent argument than that, Twilight. You’re a mare of intellect trying to speak from the heart, and failing miserably at it. What I’m saying is that Celestia’s world would involve no reason to engage in that so-called hardship.”

“You’re speaking like some sort of zealot. I’m trying to approach this rationally, but my beliefs don’t line up with hers. I’ll never work with Celestia, and that’s final.” Twilight said, laying her ears back.

“I’m an idealist, and you’re playing the role of a cynic, but without the emotional detachment. And I can assure you that never is a very long time. Just ask Golden Radiance.” Morning Star replied smoothly.

The unicorn mare glanced over. “Don’t drag me into this dispute. The two of you are arguing over something far more personal than ideology, so don’t pretend that I’ll have any bearing on this conversation.”

Twilight realized that she was right. The conversation was superficially about Celestia’s goals, but what it was really about was the relationship they had shared before Morning Star had died. She still didn’t trust him, even in death. She knew that if it had been only Morning Star who had met her when she died, she would have bolted for the mountains without a second thought. The only reason she was even talking to him was because Golden Radiance was there in case something went wrong.

“Fine. I have personal reasons for fighting against Celestia. She used me like a game piece to achieve some sort of nebulous goal. She was playing with my life, how do you think that makes me feel?” Twilight grated. “In the space of a week, I found out that I had been bred like a dog, was valued only because of my reproductive abilities, and that I was going to be a sacrificial offering to bring forth some sort of mind-controlling Alicorn. And then I found out that my friends were enthralled to her, the Element I had been entrusted to bear was in fact controlling me, and to top it all off, Celestia and Luna both played me as if I were some sort of token to gain a strategic advantage.”

Morning Star’s expression was neutral. “And what about me?”

Twilight found out that just because you were dead didn’t mean that you couldn’t cry. “I think you were the worst. I had very real feelings for you. I still do. And when I killed you, I hated you for what you had done, more than anypony I had ever faced, ever. You were worse than Discord, or Nightmare Moon. But when I shot Celestia down fleeing Ponyville, I wasn’t using my hatred for her. That came later, after I found out what she had planned for me. I was using the hatred and self-loathing I had felt for myself when I killed you to fire that particular spell.”

Morning Star sighed. “I can understand that.”

Twilight shuddered. “I still don’t trust you. I killed a monster that day, or so I thought. I think it made it easier, to think of you as a monster.”

The stallion looked at her strangely. “Do you want to hear how I looked at it?”

Twilight nodded. “How could you have done it, faked it all that well? I thought you cared about me then. Did none of it matter to you?”

“Actually, you mattered more than you know. What I felt for you was just as real as what I felt for Celestia.” he said calmly. “Do you know what it’s like, to love two ponies so much that your heart is torn between them?”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “You were…in love with Celestia?”

Morning Star’s head bobbed once. “I was, when I was alive. I worshipped her; put her on a marble pedestal far above any other pony. She was beyond reproach, my perfect goddess of sunny marble, with a rainbow caught in her mane. My earliest memory was loving her. I would have done anything to see her smile, thrown myself from the tops of mountains if she had only asked. For a kind word I would have forsaken water until death claimed me, for a kiss I would have fought armies. I could no more refuse a request from her than I could will my heart to stop beating.”

His expression turned inward, as if he was contemplating some part of himself. “So when she asked me to follow you, so I might win your heart and fulfill her plans for you, when I was told that I would father the savior of Equestria, how could I have said anything other than yes? I thanked her for the opportunity and swore that I would do my utmost to make you love me, though I had never met you.”

Twilight felt a sharp little pain in her chest. “So it was never real?”

“At first, no. A kind word here, a touch there, it was all I needed to bind you to me. I knew you were smitten after the first days, before we had even left Ponyville. I don’t think you knew until much later. Perhaps it was that night after we had fought together, when you kissed me. But I remember that night, when I saw you sitting by the fire, charting the night sky. The moonlight caught you, and you looked so beautiful that it was hard to stop myself from falling for you then. And I did. That sketch I made of you came from the heart, and I was very much embarrassed when you discovered it.”

Twilight felt a pang of guilt. She had lost that sketch in the fire that had consumed her library, along with most everything else.

“The love I felt for you was different than the love I felt for Celestia. Hers was stately, grand, the love a common pony felt for an unattainable ideal, a paragon without equal. My love for you thrummed like violins, burned like lantern oil. I wanted to talk with you for hours, to bring you everything you could ever ask for to see what you’d do with it. Yours was raw, earthy. Hers was ethereal, like a sunrise. By the time we reached Canterlot, I was head over hooves in love with you, Twilight.”

Twilight felt her heart break, just a little. “Then why did you…”

“Betray you?” Morning Star asked gently. “Well, it wasn’t an easy choice. And at the end, I wasn’t sure if I could go through with it. Who do you turn to in that situation? If I hadn’t betrayed you, and out of nowhere Tarantella had come into your life, who would you have picked?”

Twilight didn’t have an answer for that.

Morning Star continued. “I contented myself with loving you, knowing that your time was short and that I would be able to spend as much time as I could with you. I would keep you ignorant to keep you happy, and raise your daughter the best way I could along with my other love, Celestia.”

“So you were going to love me until I was dead, and go back to Celestia?”

Morning Star looked at her disapprovingly. “It’s hardly that simple. To refer to the other scenario, what if Tarantella had only a year to live, and I was alright with you being in love with her, while she did not know about me?”

That threw things into relief for Twilight. If she were put into that sort of situation, she was unsure of how she would handle it. Some part of her was angry with Morning Star for suggesting that she was not the only pony he cared for, but another part of her reminded Twilight that in the same situation, she might very well have tried the same thing.

“So I continued loving you, both for Celestia and myself. Until one autumn afternoon, I showed up at your library early, with a bottle of red wine that had cost me a week’s pay at the Archives and the hope that you and Spike and I might be able to have an evening together. But you weren’t home, and I, being curious, found an opened door into the basement. I thought you had been working on something, and so I went downstairs. And I found another door to another basement that you had apparently neglected to tell the Princess about.”

Twilight winced a bit. There was no malice behind that gesture, it was only a small basement. She had never seen reason to bother the Princess with the details of her home improvement. When she had begun compiling evidence against the Princess, the space had come in handy. Nopony ever came down there except for her, and it was by Spike’s room, which meant if there was ever a break in, the dragon would be able to hear the intruder if they decided to investigate the basement for some reason.

“I found everything down there, Twilight. And I knew what it was, too. It was obvious you had been busy, and with only a few more pieces to the puzzle, you would have had the whole thing laid out in front of you. You had already found out about your heritage and Celestia’s role in it, and quite recently. I found the letter from a relative near the door when I went back upstairs and realized that you had gotten everything you needed, more or less. And I was so angry with you, Twilight.”

Morning Star took in a shuddering breath as they walked. The trees were growing larger, and smelled of pine spice and ozone. “You and your damned inquisitive mind had destroyed what little happiness you could have had left, and when you were inevitably brought before Celestia, the goddess I loved would ask me to break your heart. And I couldn’t do that to the mare I loved.”

His tone turned hard, and Twilight finally heard some of the Morning Star that still appeared in some of her nightmares. “So I forced myself to hate you. Right then and there, I forsook the love I had for you, and allied myself to Celestia completely. Because it would be easier for all of us if I did. Then you’d have no doubt that I would not save you, Celestia would see my loyalty, and I would no longer have to hurt a mare I loved. I made you into a target, and when Spike came home, I knocked him out and waited. The rest you know.”

“I died fighting for a cause I believed in, on the orders of the goddess I loved, fighting a mare that I despised. And when I woke up here, I cried until Mother found me, and brought me here.”

The party stopped, and Twilight’s eyes widened as she took in what was in front of her. The library was just as she remembered it, the leaves shimmering emerald in the light of the Aether’s strangely luminous sky. A coil of smoke unfurled lazily from the chimney, and the windows blazed with light. Twilight could smell woodsmoke and the baking of fresh bread from the inside. She turned to Morning Star and Golden Radiance.

“Is this where she’s been waiting? In my library?”

They both nodded. “We’ll be waiting out here for now.” Golden Radiance said. “You’ll see us both soon, don’t worry. But right now, it’s just you and her.”

Twilight swallowed. She was suddenly nervous, and for good reason. “What is…what is she like?”

Morning Star smiled. “She’s wonderful. Everything she does is in your best interests, and you can tell. But you’re going to have to make some tough choices. Now go on, she’s waiting for you.”

Twilight Sparkle nodded once, and knocked gently on the door.

“Come in!” a bright female voice called. “It’s unlocked, Twilight. You should know that, it’s your library!”

The little unicorn took a deep breath, and pushed the door. It swung open with a creak, and before she could lose her nerve, Twilight Sparkle stepped inside, closing the wooden door behind her.

PreviousChapters Next