• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 13,012 Views, 2,513 Comments

Dusk's Dangerous Game - Airstream

  • ...
41
 2,513
 13,012

PreviousChapters Next
Piece to Player

The hut in the forest was supposed to be dark, left just as it was when the zebra who had lived inside had disappeared those years ago, vanishing into the tangles and mist of the forest she had arrived from. Though it was uninhabited, the small dwelling under a massive tree had remained untouched save for a few spiderwebs that had looked long since abandoned when the hut had first been investigated. No creatures would live in its walls, no insects would build nests in the sheltered spaces within, and predators seemed to avoid the place entirely. In all, Zecora’s hut was a place of eerie peace, that of some dangerous creature in a fitful sleep, or a storm hovering on the horizon, waiting to break upon the shore.

It was to this place that three mares, alone save for each other and their Elements, walked in the dark one night, way lit by a single lantern brought from Fluttershy’s house. Each felt differently about their meeting with the Ever Free, but each knew that once they had contacted Twilight, there could have been no other option but to do as they were told. And this time, they had done as ordered. A small set of saddlebags containing the three Elements in their keeping bounced up and down on Applejack’s back. Their lives were held in the hooves of a mare they had betrayed years ago, and each of them was acutely aware of both how powerful and how callous Twilight Sparkle had become over the long years of war.

It wasn’t just them, either. Applejack’s stomach turned at the thought of ponies she knew being Changelings, with orders to hurt the ones she loved if necessary. Pinkie Pie had realized that she hadn’t sensed Twilight anywhere near her filly during her first birthday, and the mare could have done whatever she wanted then without fear of reprisal. Fluttershy had barely been able to venture into the forest after they had captured their two guards, and she locked her doors and windows tightly each night after checking the animal pens.

The way to Zecora’s was not a long one, but it did lead into the darkest part of the forest, and each mare listened carefully for any sign of trouble, unable to hear anything out of the ordinary. In fact, none of them could hear anything from the Forest at all.

“I don’t like this, y’all. It’s too quiet.” Applejack said, as the trees blocked out the last glimmers of light from the stars above.

Fluttershy nodded. “Where are the animals? This has always been a quiet section of the Forest, but not like this. Pinkie? Can you sense anything?”

Pinkie stopped walking, each muscle in her body tense and quivering as she felt around her for anything out of the ordinary. Her eyes slammed shut and one hoof slowly lifted itself off of the ground as her ear gave a gentle twitch. After a moment, she shook her head. “I can feel something, but I’m not sure what. It’s a really weird sort of humming sound. Not bad, just….strange. But that’s it.”

The group continued walking in silence after that, the air around them growing still and calm as they proceeded farther and farther into the trees. At last, they reached the small band of Poison Joke that encircled Zecora’s land, noting that a small path had been cleared through the beautiful blue flowers. Carefully, they stepped through and onto ground they had not walked in almost a decade. Through the trees, they could see the cheerful glow of a fire ahead, and they picked up the pace to hasten the end of their journey.

The door to the abandoned hut stood open, and through the portal each of them could see a small cauldron resting on an open fire, the contents bubbling merrily and sending a steam through the air that even from a distance smelled of sharp spices and stewing plants. A figure appeared at the door, and a very familiar voice called out through the dark.

“Hello there, ponies drawing near! Come closer, you have nothing to fear!”

“Zecora!” all three exclaimed, running forward. The zebra gathered them all into an embrace, as the old friends were reunited once more.

“It is good to see you at my door. I had hoped to speak with you one time more. Please, come inside and rest a spell. I hope you all are doing well?”

“We’re doin’ just fine, Zecora.” Applejack said, as they were seated at an old oak table that had not been there while Zecora had lived in the hut. “But what about you? You haven’t aged a day!”

The Zebra smiled, pouring each of them a cup of tea. “The Forest provides a glorious wealth. With herbs and potions, I keep my health. My teacher tells me of fern and flower that gives my body youthful power.”

“Do you mean that you can keep young with herbs?” Pinkie asked excitedly.

Zecora shook her head tolerantly. “What you see is strength and skill, kept for me by my teacher’s will. But I will age, as do you, and die to be reborn anew. Should she wish, I will not expire, but that hinges entirely on her desire.”

Fluttershy cocked her head curiously. “So you’ve been learning herbalism with somepony? A teacher? Is that why you had to leave?”

Zecora laughed. “Dear child, she taught me since I was small. I knew her before I knew you all. Though I did not wish to leave you, friend, my time with you had come to an end. It is for her that I speak to you, so that you know just what to do.”

The mood in the hut grew serious as she continued. “My teacher will soon step through that door, a pony you have not seen before. She is older than you and older than I, and knows the Forest better than Fluttershy. It costs her much to be so near, so hold her patience and company dear. And she predates the Elements, so I beg you, use some common sense. Attempt to harm her in any way, and you can be sure of Tartarus to pay.”

Applejack slammed a hoof down on the table. “Now wait just a darn minute! You mean to tell us that we’re going to be hoofed off to some other pony who’ll try and intimidate us again?”

Zecora’s eyes flashed before she quite visibly restrained herself. “Listen closely, arrogant child. My teacher rules the Everfree wild. A kinder soul you will not find, but I beg you, pay her power mind. She seeks to help you, so let her see if she can help you and your loved ones remain free.”

Applejack settled down again. “Sorry ‘bout that. But t’aint fair, being shuffled around like that without knowing the how or why.”

“Now perhaps you begin to see why ponies join the Ever Free. I will not live Celestia’s lie. All of us would rather die.”

Pinkie Pie’s tail switched abruptly to one side, and she shivered. “I think somepony’s coming.” she said, indicating the door.

Zecora walked calmly to the door and waited. There were three taps, gentle and precise, and Zecora opened the door, bowing her head as she did so. A unicorn of indeterminably advanced age walked in, greying red mane bound in a messy bun on top of her head, her lined face graced with the ghost of a smile. An aged set of saddlebags rested along her back, and her eyes, both kind and cunning, swept over the three mares, making them feel very small indeed. Zecora closed the door behind her, still keeping her eyes averted. The unicorn turned around.

“Zecora, dear, you can look up. And these are the Element Bearers?”

“Yes my teacher, these ponies three. Applejack, Fluttershy, and dear Pinkie.”

The unicorn looked thoughtful as she set her bags down. Turning to Zecora, she indicated the door. “My student, I’m afraid you’ll have to say goodbye. For this, I’m going to need these three alone. Go out into the forest and gather…let’s see…monkshood, feverfew, and henbane. Be careful with those, and bring them to the cottage at sunrise.”

The zebra bowed once more, before turning to her friends again. “I am afraid I must depart, but I will keep you in my heart. Perhaps one day, when this is done, we shall meet once more under midnight sun.” And with no further words, she opened the door, disappearing swiftly into the night before any of the Bearers could say good bye.


The unicorn shut the door with her magic, before joining the ponies at the table. She looked at each in turn. “Now, I’m sure you have some questions. But I can’t answer you or help you until we have a bit more trust in one another. So I am going to tell you the truth. My name is Radiant Zenith. I am one thousand, two hundred and eighty-four years old next month, I am the Steward of the Regia as appointed by Twilight Sparkle, I planted the first tree of this forest, and I maintain balance as best as I can here. I was sent by Twilight Sparkle because I am inordinately more familiar with Breaking magic than she, and because she cannot keep an emotional center around you three because of the conflicting emotions generated by your betrayal. For which, you can rest assured, she does not truly blame you.”

Applejack snorted. “Could have fooled me.”

Radiant Zenith nodded sympathetically. “Twilight is young. Wise beyond her years, but not yet wise enough to realize that you are not fully in control of your actions. Some part of her already forgives you, much as she might hate to admit it to herself.

“Why is she so…dark?” Fluttershy asked, sipping at her tea.

“Twilight Sparkle is bearing a very large burden at a very young age, while also wielding much power that was until recently in the possession of a goddess. Breaking magic takes a terrible toll, and while she has learned to control it for the most part, as opposed to letting it control her, she still is not as in control of her emotions at times as she could be. This is why I and others are there to guide her. The problem is exacerbated by her proximity to you. You caused her a lot of pain, and healing that will take much effort on her part.”

“And ours.” Pinkie chipped in, voice uncharacteristically serious.

Radiant Zenith looked at her strangely. “So you do feel remorse for what you’ve done?” The three mares nodded. She rested her chin on one hoof. “Fascinating. The Catalysts must be decaying as well. Might we engage in an exercise with your Elements?”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Applejack asked. “What if you set them off?”

Radiant Zenith let the full force of her thousand years of experience with the Elements bleed into her gaze as she locked eyes with Applejack. The Earth pony folded almost immediately under the pressure, and rummaged through the saddlebags at her hooves, withdrawing the Elements and setting them on the table, where they lay staring up at the ceiling, three jeweled eyes belonging to Celestia.

The Elements changed the pony who bore them, that was certain. But so too did the pony change them. This was most apparent in Fluttershy’s Element, which had taken on the form of a simple pendant, a river rock with a simple strap. The vaguest hint of a pink butterfly was visible on the stone, worn smooth by time. Applejack’s had turned into something resembling a sturdy locket, a block of shining gold suspended by a solid chain. Applejack lifted its lid to reveal the orange stone sitting inside, shimmering brightly in the light of the hut. Pinkie Pie ran a hoof over her own necklace, admiring it. It was beautiful, that much was true. The solid gold of it had turned into large golden loops the size of earrings, forming a sort of lattice that tapered to a gentle point. In the center, a disc of solid blue gleamed, its center etched with the outline of a balloon in gold.

The three Bearers looked at Radiant Zenith, whose gaze was fixed on the objects in front of her. She nodded slowly, running one hoof over them. “They are truly beautiful, in their own right. You all have wonderful souls. Of course you would have, else you would not be fit to Bear them as you have, not without great pain. Now, without putting them on, focus on your Element in your mind.” she said, placing a white candle on the table and lighting it. “While you do that, focus on the flame with your eyes.”

The Bearers did as asked. Radiant Zenith continued. “Now, I want you to think thoughts of peace, harmony, and contentment. Focus on them to the exclusion of all else.” She noticed the candle flame burning higher and brighter. “Good, now think the opposite. Discord, strife, and disobedience. As hard as you can, focus on those.” The candle’s flame flickered and threatened to go out. She noticed sweat beginning to bead on the mares’ faces as they struggled with their Elements. “Last exercise. Think back onto the feelings inspired in you by Twilight’s messengers, how passionate they made you feel, whether it was a good or bad feeling. Try to feel that again.”

She withdrew a candle of midnight black wax, lighting it with the flame from the first, extinguishing the former flame and replacing the candle with its dark brother. The three friends’ focus shifted to the new candle, and as they fed their fear, anger, and curiosity, the flame burned higher and higher still, wax running in rivulets down the side to pool at the base of the rapidly decaying candle. The Bearers began to pant as the Elements shone with faint golden light and Radiant Zenith let her magic flow from her horn, playing over the entire table. Her silvery energy seemed to be repelled by the aura of the Elements, recoiling as if burned by it. She focused harder, as light spilled from her horn like water, running off of the table and pouring onto the floor. The candle’s flame reached the roof of the hut, no longer a candle but instead a pillar of flame rising from the table itself, fueled by magic alone.

Suddenly, the light from the unicorn’s horn collected itself, turning in on Pinkie Pie’s Element with single-minded ferocity as it drove back the golden aura, sinking into the metal with the sound of rushing air. The candle exploded, consuming all the excess power in the room in one brilliant flash of white light, and leaving the four mares blinking in surprise. The three Bearers crowded around the table, gasping at what Pinkie Pie’s Element had become. After collecting herself, Radiant Zenith approached the table to see what had been wrought by magic.

The Element was changed, of that she was certain. It was no longer a physical thing, though it held the form it had when Pinkie Pie had laid it on the table. The links were composed of a beautifully hot looking flame, bright blue, each individual link one of ionized gas and smoke. The Element itself shone a terrible white, bright enough to burn the eyes of those looking at it. As they watched, the flame faded, leaving it looking normal once more. Three pairs of eyes sought an explanation from Radiant Zenith.

“I have not the power to free the Element entirely from Celestia’s control. But I have done something else. You are no longer a Bearer of Harmony, Pinkie Pie. I name you Wielder of the Unbound Power of Laughter. Celestia may yet have ties to it, but you are its true master now. One fifth of the most powerful force for Order now answers to you directly. Use it wisely.” Radiant Zenith sunk to the ground in a bow as the Element rose into the air, resting on Pinkie Pie’s neck. Fluttershy and Applejack followed suit.

“Hail, Wielder. Hail, Pinkie Pie, Mistress of Laughter.”

PreviousChapters Next