• Published 12th Sep 2012
  • 2,013 Views, 158 Comments

My little Short Stories - Paradise Oasis



a series of short stories set in my shared fanifc 'My Little Pony' multi-generational universe.

  • ...
14
 158
 2,013

PreviousChapters Next
Terrible Twins; Off to a rocky start...

Terrible Twins; Off to a rocky start...

"Popcap! Bottletop!" The blue mare exclaimed, calling out to the two pony foals in their rooms. "Could you come down here, please? I have an errand I'd like you to run!"

"Coming, mom!" The twins called out, galloping out of their rooms, racing down the hallway, to where their parent waited in the kitchen.

"What's up?" Bottletop, the colt with the red mane, asked.

"What can we do for you?" Popcap, the pink-maned filly, added.

The unicorn mare smiled at the two little purple ponies- a pair of little hyperactive screwballs, just like she was. Although the two energetic equines shared her bubbling soda cutie mark, their special talents of causing trouble were very, very different from her own.

"I want you two to go visit the outer garden, and collect a bushel of fruits Cherries Jubilee has put together for the Satin Slipper, to use in making our sundaes." Their mother giggled, levitating a cherry soda she was drinking up to her mouth. "I'd go myself, but my shift kinda starts in ten minutes."

"No problem, mom!" Popcap announced, saluting her mom with her hoof. "I'll bring that bushel back before you can say 'chocolate milkshake!"

"Whaddya mean you'll get it for her?" Bottletop asked in annoyance. "I'll be the one to bring the fruit to the sweet shoppe. Then Miss Lickty Split'll give me a big, yummy sundae!"

"Both of you'll need to help carry the basket, and no fooling around!" The unicorn warned, shaking a hoof at the twins. "I don't need Scoops any angrier at me then she already is!"

But even before she had finished, the two ponies were already out the door. The twins raced down the hall, practically jumping over each other to get there first. Popcap sprung forward, landing on her brother’s head before using it as a springboard to jump ahead.

"Hey, no fair!" Bottletop cried, snorting angrily at his sister. "You cheated!"

Early pony gets the fruit, bro!" She giggled, grinning back at her sibling. "And the ice cream sundae!"

As the two galloped out over the castle's drawbridge, Bottletop whispered something down into the moat, Suddenly, a small wave came up out of the water, and knocked the filly into the fins of a group of Bottletop's underwater friends.

"Hey, no fair using the sea ponies for help!" Popcap whined.

"Sorry sis!" The colt laughed, galloping ahead towards the outer garden. "Looks like I'll be the one getting the sundae!"

The angry filly climbed out of the moat, and galloped after her brother, who was already at the outer garden. It was a large cluster of trees surrounded by a stone wall and a gate. Most of the adult ponies hated coming out here, because of how open and exposed it was outside the castle, but the younger ponies, along with a few of the gardeners, actually liked being out here in the fresh air and sunshine.

"Hey, don't do that again!" Popcap snapped, her jeweled eyes glaring at her brother. "Remember, mom said we have to work together to get the fruit back!"

"Yeah, yeah... so says the filly who jumped on my head!" Bottletop snapped back, before the two trotted over towards the tree orchard.

"Cherries! Cherries Jubilee?" Popcap called out, looking around. "You there?"

"Maybe she's at lunch?" Her brother whispered, when no response came. "Maybe we should head back inside?"

"Right here." Cherries replied, trotting up behind the two siblings. "So glad you two finally made it."

"Ahhhhh!" The twins screamed in unison, nearly jumping out of their horseshoes. "Miss Jubilee, please don't do that!"

"Sheesh, you kids today. Can't even take a little joke." The mare replied with a sigh, leading them over to a basket under two of the cherry trees. "Whelp, he's the Cherries I promised your mom. Tell her to make sure they only end up topping the best hot fudge sundaes, and the finest root beer floats,"

"Don't worry, we will!" Bottletop replied, as he and his sister picked up the basket handles at either end in thier mouths. "And mom says thank you!"

"Oh, and be careful on your way home!" Cherries called out, as the two trotted back out of the garden with the basket. "Word's going around the castle that some kind of monster's come out of the everfree! Make sure to hurry back to the castle, so you're not gobbled up!"

"Awwww, she's probably just pulling our chains!" Popcap thought to herself nervously, as she and her brother slowly carried the basket back out of the garden. "I mean a monster, on the loose in Dream Valley? Yeah, right!" She and her brother slowly dragged the basket back towards the castle, even as the sun set in the evening sky behind them.

But the two had only gotten a third of the way back to the castle, when they hears a scream coming from behind them, followed by a loud thud.

"Wait, what was that?" Bottletop asked, dropping the basket. "Sounded like miss Jubilee back there!"

"Oh, come on!" His sister snorted, dropping her end and rolling her eyes. "You're just trying to get out of carrying you're end of the-" But before she could finish, he had already galloped back into the garden. "Hey, wait for me!"

The twins arrived back towards where they had last seen their fellow earth pony, and found her standing thier silently under the shadow of evening. But as they drew closer, the two ponies noticed she was standing particularly still for such a busybody pony.

"E-excuse me, m-miss Jubilee?" Popcap asked nervously. "S-shouldn't you be heading back, it's kind of getting late!"

The orange mare with the cherry cutie mark gave no reply, and the two jewel-eyed ponies took a step closer. The brother slowly reached a hoof out to the adult pony... only to have her tip over and fall with a loud THUNK!

"Holy horseapples!" Popcap screamed. "She's been stoned!"

Both ponies stared at each other in unison, before giving the only response two sensible children of that age would;

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

The terrified ponies raced towards the exit... only to have a dark, slithering shape block their path. Before their very eyes, a strange beast that looked half bird, half winged lizard, it unfolded to bat-like wings and glided above them. Letting out with a cry that would terrify the bravest stallion, it stared down at the two ponies with a steely gaze from it's glowing red eyes.

"What the heck is that thing?" Bottletop asked, looking up at the bizarre monstrosity. "It looks like Mister Moochick fused a chicken and a Dragon together!"

"I dunno, but it does look freaky!" Popcap replied, staring up at the creature. "Do ya think this is the thing that turned miss Jubilee to stone?"

The creature continued to glare at them, and seemed surprised when nothing happened. Intensifying it's gaze, the odd creature's eyes began to glow even a brighter red as it glared deeper into their twinkle eyes.

"Ewww, Botteltop! That things staring at me all creepy!" The little filly screamed, looking away in disgust. "I think it is what froze Miss Jubilee up, bro! Kill it, kill it!"

"Hey, stop bugging my sister, you weirdo!" The colt snorted. Grabbing it's tail in his teeth, Bottletop yanked the creature to the ground. "This'll teach you to turn ponies into rocks!"

STOMPSTOMPSTOMPSTOMPSTOMPSTOMPSTOMP! "AWWWWWWWWK!"

The twins jumped on the beast, trampling the creature to death with their hooves, and let out a terrible shriek. With it's last thoughts. the monster tried to figure what went wrong. Why hadn't she turned to stone when it looked into their eyes, like that adult pony had? It was only with it's last thought, as it glanced as the glittering stones in the twins eye sockets, that the lizard-bird realized it's fatal mistake....

... for the two little ponies had no eyes....

"Ohhhhhh, my head....." As the twins reduced the monster to a scattered mess of feathers, they heard the groaning of the restored adult pony behind them.

"Miss Jubilee!" Bottletop called out, as they galloped back towards the groggy pony. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine." Cherries replied, pulling herself back to her hooves. "Ew, what's that nasty mess over there?"

"We think it was the thing that turned you to stone like that, so we squished it." Popcap replied, as they looked back at the icky mess. "I think we should take it back to mom with the cherries, so she can fry it up for supper."

"Thanks kids, I really owe you one for that." The mare snorted shaking off her grogginess. "And I guess somebody should have warned that Cockatrice about the jewel-eyed ponies."

Author's Note:

And that's how those two saved a mare from petrification with thier antics. And From what thier mother Fizzy told me later, the lizard bird she fried up for Salty and the kids that night, tasted remarkably like chicken...

PreviousChapters Next