• Published 12th Sep 2012
  • 2,013 Views, 158 Comments

My little Short Stories - Paradise Oasis



a series of short stories set in my shared fanifc 'My Little Pony' multi-generational universe.

  • ...
14
 158
 2,013

PreviousChapters Next
Visiting the Humans

Visiting the Humans

Three hundred years ago, during that dark age when between the fall of Equestria and the modern day , Ponyland was an even darker and gloomier place that it is now. But while the world was a dark and scary place for us ponies, it was even more so for the poor human settlers who had poured in over the rainbow portal from earth. Traveling to the abandoned Manehatten region that had been allotted to them by the Ponyland Confederacy, these brave pioneers hewn their Frontier towns out of a rugged wilderness.

But this new world was a foreboding place for the first few generations of humans, filled with monsters and magic they have never before seen in the world from which they had come. And so the humans did little to venture outside of their little villages and homesteads. It fell to adventurous- and ambitious- mare merchants from Bright Valley, to make the dangerous runs to the Manehatten region. Members of the Secret Surprise guild, so-called because nobody knew what goods they would bring on their visits- these entrepreneurial young earth ponies helped keep early human civilization alive in Ponyland

"Come on, Secret Star." The purple mare with a pink mane called out. "If you're going to be making journeys like this on a regular basis, you really need to learn to keep up!"

"I-I'm trying to, Star Dazzle!" The younger pink mare with a turquoise mane gasped out, trotting at a brisk pace. "It's just I've never made one of these trips before!"

Trotting along the road between the human lands and Bright Valley, the two members of the Secret Surprise guild hurried along towards their destination. The two large, blanket-like saddles they wore had protected them from the rain and weather, but seem to weigh heavily on their poor backs as they made their way along the treacherous route. Two large, pink keys hung from their necks- symbols of the trading guild to which they belonged.

"Ugh, this is terrible." Secret Star complained, chipping her hoof polish along the jagged stones. "Sleeping in the dirt all night, hiding from chimeras and giants every step of the way. Why are we doing this again, exactly?"

"Because, we're the only merchants bold enough to bring the humans the goods they need." Star Dazzle replied, just as she had the last dozen times her younger companion had asked. "Besides, humans will pay through their noses to get some of the things we have!"

"What are humans like, anyway?" The apprentice merchant asked curiously. "I've heard they kind of resemble tall hairless monkeys that wear clothes."

"That's an accurate description, if a bit rough." The older trader replied, nodding. "though are much more polite than a monkey, and far more sanitary."

"Are they very friendly?" Secret Star asked, shivering. "I've heard they can be as mean and scary as ogres!"

"They are far more reasonable than ogres, trust me!" Her companion replied, shaking her mane. "Now get ready, the village is up ahead."

The two ponies approached the wooden walls of the stockade, several felled trees cut and tied together into a defensive wall. Two guards armed with crossbows marched along the inside of the stockade walls, clad in light armor shirts and half helms. Spying the ponies, one of them motioned to the guards at the gate.

"Halt, who goes there?" The guard called out, pointing his crossbow through the open hole. "Be ye friend, or foe?"

"Two pony merchants from Bright Valley!" Star Dazzle called back. "We come to trade goods, we come as friends!"

The guard nodded, and soon the gates swung open, allowing the two mares entrance. As they trotted inside, several women and children came running up, shouting and pointing in excitement. At the sight of all of them, Secret Star's eyes went wide in shock.

"My word! They all look so different from each other!" The mare whinnied, looking around at all the people who came running up. Small ones, tall ones, ones with brown manes, and ones with blonde. Some wore breeches and tunics, while others wore long, flowing dresses. "They're as diverse a species as we are!"

"Oh wow, the talking ponies again!" An older gentleman exclaimed. "Here with new things!"

"Did you bring me a dolly?" One younger child asked pleadingly. "Oh, I do so want a new one!"

"I could use some new gardening tools!" A housewife called out, her arm held in the air. "Or maybe some new cooking utensils?"

"Hello, good human!." Star Dazzle called out, as the crowd formed around them. "There's plenty here for every one, so no need to push or shove!"

"All right, so I guess this is where we get the goods out, huh?" Reaching for Star Dazzle's key with her mouth, Secret Star used her mouth to stick it into a keyhole on the side of the large blue saddle the older mare wore on her back. As the key clicked in the lock, the saddle swung upwards; revealing a large hole in the other ponies back!

"Enchanted saddle of holding, our guild's trademark secret." Secret Star smiled. "Nothing beats a small pocket dimension in a saddle, for transporting a large supply of goods on a long trip."

Pulling a brown, wind up clock out of the saddle, she handed it to Star Dazzle . "All right, people! What will you trade me for this fine piece?"

Several of the humans crowded in, making bids and holding up items to trade. Finally, one man offered up a silver ale tankard.

"Here How about this? Brought from the other world by my grandfather, it was! Crafted by the finest silversmiths in Lower Saxony!"

The two mares nodded, and the trade was made. Soon more and more goods flowed from the two mares’ saddle; silk clothing and spices from Hoofkaido, farming tools and weapons from Fort Rainbow Dash. The humans happily handed over whatever they had, in exchange for whatever the ponies could give them.

Secret Star noticed, however, that there was one human male who stayed back from the others. Dressed in a pair of breeches and a brown jacket, the gentleman in the white wig stood out from the other, more medieval-dressed humans. He stood back and watched the ponies from afar, staring at them and the swarm of humans intently.

Finally, the two ponies had exhausted their supply of trade goods, and the village folk happily dispersed with there new found treasures.

"Three sets of table silver, a smoking pipe, and a new leather cap." Secret Star noted, as the two ponies reloaded their saddles and shut them. "Good grief, what are we gonna do with all of this human stuff?"

"Trade it to Dream Valley, I suppose. They seemed to be obsessed with human goods." Star Shimmer replied, as she led the younger pony down the dusty dirt road towards one of the human buildings. "Now come on, we'll stay here at the the village inn for the night."

The two ponies entered an extremely well built, Tudor-style building, with two floors and many glass windows on every side. Inside, the two ponies were greeted by the sight of several hand carved wooden chairs and tables, and a roaring fire in the hearth.

"Wow, this place in amazing!" Secret Star exclaimed, looking around in wonder. "What's it called again?"

"The Whinnim inn, I've stayed here several times during my previous trips to this village." Star Shimmer replied. "It's very comfortable, and has been built to accommodate pony travelers, like ourselves."

"Good day ladies, welcome to the Whinnim." A middle aged woman in a blue dress and ruffled cap walked in, greeting them. "Ah, Miss Star Shimmer! Back for another visit, I see?"

"Yes, it's a pleasure to see you again." The older mare bowed politely, turning to her companion. "Secret Star, this is Missus Wash 'n Clean, the proprietor of this establishment."

"Miss Wash 'n Clean?" The other pony asked, confused.

"Oh, that's not my real name, dearie! I just use it with ponies because they always complain human names don't mean anything." The woman explained. "Star Shimmer here suggested it because I wash and dry all the linen and sheets."

It was at that point, that the two mares saw the strange fellow from the square who had been staring at them walk in. Seeing the two ponies, he silently walked over by the fireplace and sat down, still staring at them.

"Miss Wash n' Clean, who in the heck is that odd fellow?" Secret Star whispered, looking back at the stranger. "He seems a bit different from everybody else here."

"Ah, he's a sailor from the other world, my good pony." The innkeeper explained. "Says he accidentally crossed over the rainbow doorway after being shipwrecked. Never did give his name, but he paid for his room in silver."

"Thank you very much, Miss Wash 'n Clean." Star Shimmer bowed to her again. "We'll be staying in my usual room for the night."

"Certainly, ladies." The innkeeper replied with a smile. "I'll have your rooms made up at once."

After the two mares had taken eaten and rested, they took a seat by the fire as the evening’s chill set in. As they were warming themselves by the hearth's glow, the odd stranger walked up to them, and spoke.

"Excuse me, ladies, I'm sorry if I was bothering you earlier by staring." The gentleman bowed, removing his tri-cornered hat. "But, are you ponies actually intelligent?"

"Well, being how you're from the other world, I could see how you might think we're not!" Star Shimmer replied with a laugh. "Yes, we are as intelligent as you humans, and gifted with the power of speech, as you are."

"I see, I apologize for my ignorance." He replied, sitting down on a chair across from them. "And I've heard from this people, that you ponies rule this land. What kind of society do you have?"

"One based on mutual respect, and the bonds of the herd. Loving our family and allies, and slaying our enemies." Secret Star sorted. "One based on what once called 'friendship', I suppose."

"And those people out there, the ones grabbing at the things you were giving away." The sailor shivered. "They were like savage animals, swarming around you to get what they could. While you ladies are so gentle and refined."

"Why thank you, my good sailor." Star Shimmer replied, blushing. "But the humans of Ponyland are very nice. I would hardly call them 'savages'."

"Perhaps so, but those beasts behaved like they belonged kept in a pen. Why, just the other day, one of the locals painted green attacked me, and tried to steal my jacket."

"Hey now! I've already told that was a goblin who tried to steal your clothes." Miss Wash 'n Clean told him, peeking in from the kitchen where she was slicing carrots. "Don't go spreading bad rumors about us Manehattenites, now!"

"Such a wonderful place, this land is. I must be sure to tell my old friend, Mister Swift about it, should I ever find my way home." The sailor sighed, standing up. "Well, I've taken up enough of you fine ladies' time tonight. I must retire to my sleep." He bowed to them, and gently kissed both of their hooves.

"Wait a minute." The blushing Secret star exclaimed, calling out to him as he ascended the stairs. "You never did tell us your name!"

"Gulliver, my good mare." The world-weary sailor called back as he entered his room. "My name is Lemuel Gulliver."

“Well mister Gulliver.” Star Shimmer sighed, as he closed the door to his room. “I hope you can find you way home one day…”

PreviousChapters Next