• Published 12th Sep 2012
  • 2,013 Views, 158 Comments

My little Short Stories - Paradise Oasis



a series of short stories set in my shared fanifc 'My Little Pony' multi-generational universe.

  • ...
14
 158
 2,013

PreviousChapters Next
Power and Majesty

Power and Majesty

I was born to rule...

I am the queen of Dream Castle, the ruler of all the ponies of this valley. I am the unicorn whom this entire herd looks to in time of trouble, I am the source of wisdom and strength whom all of my subjects look to for leadership. I love each and every one of my subjects as if they were my own foals, and my heart and soul is devoted to their welfare. I smile when their hearts are filled with joy and happiness, and I weep when they are consumed by misery and sorrow. This was what I was raised to do, and the reason for my very existence.

As I sit upon this red velvet throne, I look down upon my children who come to me with their grievances. It is my responsibility to resolve disputes between my little ponies, and it is my duty to set the rules and make the decisions which determine how they will live their lives. and to protect them from the foul things in this world that mean to do my little ones harm. Most of the herd look upon me with a combination of awe and reverence, always seeing me as Majesty the icon, and not Majesty the mare.

If only they knew the half of it.

I was born into a time of uneasy peace. A twenty year truce had had just been signed between the Confederacy and Tirac, and most of the goblin hordes had been driven back beyond the southern desert. Like all the princesses before me, I was raised as a commoner. Raised side by side with the ponies I would one day rule, so I could understand how they had to live. I attended classes in the schoolroom alongside the other colts and fillies of the herd, and played games with them in the castle courtyard. There was always a distance between the other ponies and I. Oh sure, they were always kind and polite enough to me, but they were always too nervous around me to ever let their guard down.

It was a lonely existence, as few ponies treat me as one of them. There are times I wish I were of their number, instead of some kind of almighty sovereign whom they had to tread lightly around. But some mare must fill this role of an impartial arbitrator between the ponies of the herd. And if I made friends with any of them... well, in a dispute my decisions in their favor wouldn't be seen as very neutral, now would they? So I must forever remain an outsider amongst my own herd, forever distant from the very ponies I make this sacrifice for. But the whispers have reached my royal ears, that not all ponies see my royal sacrifice as something noble. There are those who scorn my choice to live above them, and think I am as stiff as a statue in the royl gallery.

What right did those mares have to say those things about me at the slumber party? They don't even have an inkling of what I've given up, and what sacrifices I've made for their well being! And yet, I cannot deny there is some truth to their words. the only ponies I can talk to on any level are my own royal consort, and Baby Majesty. Yet the days come, that I long to be able to go and enjoy a cup of cider with, say, Gusty and Fizzy. To sit with two simple mares such as those two, and laugh and joke and gossip like any normal pony, instead of having them bow and grovel at my every word whenever I come into the room. Why can't they see me as the plain looking white unicorn with the blue mane and field of flowers cutie mark?

But... being the spoiled little queen of Dream Valley isn't all that's at stake here, is it? My bloodline is a long and ancient one- older than the alicorns, older than Equestria itself. The first Majesty was created at the dawn of time by the horsemaster, the seventh mare brought into existence to lead the rest of the very first herd of sentient ponies. She was gifted with a golden crown, that only she and the eldest born mare of each generation of her bloodline could use. That crown was past down though our family, as each Majesty took a powerful place of leadership amongst ponykind. Our bloodline became the unicorn Royal family in the classical era, then a second branch of the royal family under the alicorn princesses of the Equestrian era. We eventually came to rule Dream Valley, and our line controls this tiny kingdom with an absolute authority.

Ahh, but what is so important about this golden tiara that rests upon my head, you ask? You might not believe it, but this crown is the most powerful artifact in this entire world, It is written that when the Horsemaster saw the first ponies that they had just created, the almighty wept tears of joy. Those tears- the love the horsemaster felt for her first newborn children- took physical form as a golden gilded tiara with a rose on it. This crown allows me to do feats beyond anyone's comprehension. If I so willed it, mountains would be flattened into valleys, and the sun and moon would race across the sky. With a mere thought, I could wish the dead alive again, and they would be standing before me. Or if I desired all of Ponyland's enemies would be erased from existence. Any mere wish that I could possibly conceive of, and this tiara would make it a reality.

Then why don't I use this incredible power? Because it's usage carries a terrible price. While this tiara could vanquish a thousand alicorns and the elements of harmony with a mere gesture, the horsemaster warned that any warping of reality the house of Majesty took with the crown, the universe would carry an equal reaction out on Ponykind. I once used the crown's power to turn a troll who was threatening my herd to stone. The monster had pleaded for his life, but I still carried out my swift and ruthless justice on this unsuspecting victim. The end result? The universe repaid my actions, with a massacre of a battalion of Dream Valley troops by goblins in black mountains. All of those grieving widows, all of those orphaned foals. Can you now comprehend why the crown of Majesty is such a terrible burden upon me? If such a minor action was replayed so harshly, what would happen if I tried to use the crown to warp reality itself?

And so, I remain ever burdened with this terrible responsibility. My subjects with never know the terrible burden this crown that weighs so heavily upon my head is, nor will my pain over the decisions I am forced to make with this terrible power. I may have been created to rule ponykind, even over the alicorns themselves, but I am content to govern my small herd with the righteousness and justice they deserve. I only wish that sometimes my little ponies could gaze upon me and see the pony within, and not just the Majesty without. Sometimes, I think it would be so nice to have a real, true and caring friend. As a queen, I often wonder what partaking in such a common pleasure would be like.

But for now, I have two formerly inibrated mares from yesterday, that I simply must have a word with...

PreviousChapters Next