• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 4,583 Views, 130 Comments

Eris' game - Java Joe



A sequel of sorts to Doorway to Another Place.

  • ...
17
 130
 4,583

Epilogue

8 years later.

Twyla came running into the library in a state of total excitement, "mom! Dad! I got my cutie mark today! I got my cutie mark today!"

"That's wonderful dear! Let me see, " Twilight said as she came down from the upper level.

Twyla proudly displayed her cutie mark which was in the shape of a book with a magic wand over it. "Is that in magic dear?"

"Not just magic, but creating new spells! I was at school today, we were learning about Starswirl the Bearded because it's unicorn month and how he was the one of the greatest magicians in history because he made so many spells that I started to think about making my own magic instead of just reading about it. So at lunch I thought of two spells and how to combine them and 'blammo!'" she said standing up and throwing her front hooves into the air, "it worked and I got my cutie mark!"

"That's very good especially for a filly your age!" Twilight said appreciatively. "Which spells did you use?"

"I tried the fire spell and the explosion spell and made fireworks!" she said with a huge grin.

"So that's what that sound was!" Twilight was refering to earlier in the day there was a large bang somewhere outside but nopony knew what it was.

"So where's Dad? I wanna tell him too!" Twyla barely able to contain her excitement.

"He's back on the farm right now tending to his vines. Why don't you go tell him?"

The young unicorn took off in a flash, leaping through the portal and barely taking the time to throw on some shorts and a t-shirt before tearing upstairs. Twilight smiled as she watched her go. Their daughter was definitely Daddy's girl, she took after her father in so many ways but her magical skill and studious nature was definitely her influence.

Twyla burst out of the the door and ran down to the field where Rick was taking care of his vines. It had been about 7 years, just after Twyla had had her 1st birthday that they finally planted the vines he wanted and were just starting to be moderately successful in making wine.

She found him carefully checking out some grapes for signs of damage. He spotted her, smiled and she ran into his embrace giving him a big hug and kiss on the cheek hello.

"What's up my little pony?" he asked.

"I got my cutie mark!" she said pulling down the side of her shorts so he could see it.

"That's great honey! Oh, I'm so proud of you!" he said wrapping her in a big hug. "So what's your special talent?"

"It's in magic, like Mom's. I got it from combining two spells into something new."

"That's awesome honey. Well, news like that calls for a celebration. This calls for a special dinner for a special girl." He thought for a moment at what they currently had in the house but there was nothing really special. But that didn't prevent him from going to the store and getting something.

"Okay, honey, want to come to the store with me? I'll get a few things and we'll grill up some nice salmon for dinner tonight. Sound good?"

Twyla nodded enthusiastically.

"Okay you get ready, I'll just go tell your mom and we'll be off."

They went back into the house, Rick went downstairs and poked his head through the portal to tell Twilight where they were going.

Twyla was pretty much omnivorous like her father and Twilight had gotten used to the idea of her daughter eating meat while on Earth but she had put her hoof down and said that while in Equestria she would only eat pony food. Rick was fine with that, it just meant that he and Twyla were able to bond over burgers and other such things that Twilight wouldn't eat. However, today they'd have something that whole family could enjoy.

They pulled up to the supermarket and Rick went about collecting a few items with Twyla tagging along behind him. He got a nice wild salmon fillet but couldn't find anything that looked right for dessert. Turning to Twyla he asked, "how about we go to Sugarcube Corner for dessert tonight? If we tell Pinkie Pie you got your cutie mark then maybe she'll make you an extra special cupcake and even throw you a party. Would you like that?

Twyla's toothy grin was all the answer he needed.

He paid for the groceries and they drove back home. Twilight had already come back by the time they pulled in and had brought with her some cupcakes from Sugarcube Corner already.

"Hey great minds and all that, " Rick said kissing Twilight hello. "I told Twyla we'd get some cupcakes for dessert and here you are with cupcakes."

"Pinkie Pie made a special one just for you and she says that you're getting a cutie mark party soon, " Twilight said to her daughter.

"Well I need to get dinner ready, so if you'll both excuse me? Twyla? Do you prefer mashed or oven roasted with this?"

"Hmmmmm, garlic mashed!"

"Okay Lil Miss Magic, garlic mashed it is." Rick went to work in the kitchen, making his own magic. The fish needed to be marinated, the garlic needed to be roasted and the cedar plank to cook the fish on would need to be soaked before he could really do anything. So he took care of all those, finished all the prep work that he needed to do and saw that he still had a lot of time left before needing to start to cook.

Twilight, was in the study currently curled up with a book. He knocked on the doorframe to get her attention. "I've got a little time to kill before I really need to get things going. Wanna join me in a little Irish Coffee?"

"Sounds perfect, I'll be downstairs in a moment."

Minutes later, as he was adding the whipped cream Twilight came downstairs, took her coffee and he followed her out onto the back porch. They curled up together on the loveseat and just watched the fields while drinking thier coffee.

"I'm not hearing any noise in the house, I'm guessing that Twyla went back to Equestria?" Rick asked.

"Yes she did. She wanted to show off her cutie mark to everypony."

"Soooo that means we're alone for the moment?"

"Yes it does. And no, we don't have time, " Twilight said.

"What do you mean? I've got an hour to go before I need to start cooking and unless you have something pressing going on right now?" he left the question hanging.

"Darling, " Twilight said looking into his eyes, "I love you with all my heart and even after almost 9 years of marriage you're the only human or stallion I want. But you know as well as I do that if we think Twyla is coming back soon it will just kill the mood. We can wait a couple hours."

He pondered this for a moment and said, "no". He picked her up in his arms and carried her upstairs, Twilight giggling and protesting all the way. Once inside their bedroom, he locked the door and placed her onto the bed.

"Rick, I'm serious. I know what's going to happen. You're going to get all worked up, Twyla is going to come back, we're not going to be able to finish and you'll be all grumpy for the rest of the night."

Not listening to her, but also noticing that she made absolutely no effort to get up and leave, he got on top of her and slowly started to kiss and nibble at her neck.

Twilight's breath caught in her throat and a soft sigh escaped her lips. One hand went about his shoulders while the other went to his head and gently played with his hair.

"Do you want me to stop?" Rick whispered in her ear. His mouth nibbling and gently sucking on her earlobe. "Just tell me and I'll stop."

"You started this, you had better finish it mister, " she whispered back fiercely.

Slowly his hands worked their way down her body, stroking, unbuttoning, undoing and generally turning on the heat. His lips and mouth were generally not far behind.

"Stop teasing me already, " Twilight whispered, "I'm ready and we don't have much time."

"As you wish milady, " Rick said while unbuttoning and removing his pants. "But this is only the first round, we'll have round two later on tonight."

"Damn right we will, " Twlight said as she drew him in.

A little later, Twilight lay there as Rick spooned her and gently stroked her with his free hand. Something came to mind that she had been thinking of for a while now but never had the nerve to ask.

"Do you ever regret it?" she asked.

"Hmmm? Regret what babe?"

"That we never had another child?"

Rick hugged his wife tightly. "I remember we tried for the longest time but it just never happened. I think when Twyla was 5 I wanted her to have a little brother or sister but we just never got lucky again. Why do you ask now?"

"It's just something..." she turned around in his arms to face him. "We never did it again when I was in heat. During those times, we'd come back here because it was just easier to deal with especially with the baby. But recently I've been thinking of Precious Gem...."

"You're not regretting that action are you? I mean we both agreed that when Rarity came to me to sire her foal, this was going to be her and Spike's child and while technically she's my filly, she doesn't know about this and Spike is the one she calls 'Daddy'."

"No, it's not that, " Twilight said quickly. She sometimes forgot that humans took this monogamy thing pretty far while ponies were a lot more fluid in their relationships. "That was you doing your duty as a stallion to a good friend who was unable to conceive in any other way. It's actually a pretty big honour to be chosen and I was completely on board with it. But I was saying that both times it was a mare that you got pregnant and while it wasn't the last time we did it as ponies, we never did it again when I was in heat."

"Are you... suggesting that when you come into season next, that you want us to head to Equestria for a few days?"

"Maybe, " Twilight said as she traced random patterns on Rick's chest with her free hand.

"So maybe during that time, we can send Twyla off to stay with her grandparents here or in Equestria, or maybe nave her stay at Sweet Apple Acres or somewhere like that and we'll work on getting her a baby brother or sister."

Twilight smiled. "Do you really mean that?"

"Sure. Twyla is a wonderful girl, and if she's the only child we ever have I'd be happy. But I'm not against having another child provided you're still okay with having another one."

"We'll talk about it later, " Twilight leaned in and kissed him. "But now, you need to get dinner started and I need to take a shower."

"Slave driver, " Rick said with mock severity. He held onto Twilight for another moment, not wanting to let her go just yet but eventually things needed to be taken care of he reluctantly let her go and they went about their separate tasks.

Timing for all this was crucial. Once started, everything would take about 20 minutes before they were ready. He turned on the oven to get it heated up and set about getting everything ready.

Pulling out the brocoli, he rinsed it and tore it into large florets before tossing it into a bowl with the edamame he had defrosted and shelled earlier. A splash of olive oil, garlic and spices, a quick toss later and it was done. He arranged it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put it aside.

Next was the potatoes. He used the new potatoes leaving the skin on, just gave them a quick scrub to remove any dirt before cutting them up into pieces and placing them into a bowl.

Finally came the salmon. Pulling the cedar plank from the water, he lay some scallions down on the plank and removing the salmon from the marinade lay it over the green onions. Walking outside, he started the grill and now all he had to do was wait until everything was heated up properly and he could get started cooking.

Twilight came downstairs, her hair still a little wet from the shower and smelling of shampoo. "Is Twyla back yet?"

"Nah, she's probably still showing off her cutie mark to whichever pony will listen to her. Everything is set, I'm going to get started soon and we can eat in about 20 minutes."

On saying that, they heard a noise downstairs and Twyla came back in looking a little worse for wear. She had dirt smudged on her face and hands, her hair was a little mussed but she was smiling.

"Twyla! What happened?" Twilight asked.

"Oh nothing. I was just playing with Porter and Flame Flicker down by the river and we got a little dirty. I'm okay."

"We're eating soon so I want you to take a shower and cleaned up first okay?"

"Okay Mom!" Twyla gave her mother a kiss before running upstairs to the bathroom and turning on the water.

When she came back downstairs she was all clean, wearing clean clothes and had a big smile on her face. She watched her father mashing the potatoes for a moment before asking, "anything I can do to help?"

Rick smiled but said, "I've got everything under control here. But if you want to check with your mother, maybe the table needs to be set or she needs help with something?"

The potatoes were done, Rick gave a quick taste before adding a little bit more salt and mixing it in. The oven dinged and he pulled out the veggies that had just started to turn brown and crispy along the edges and let them cool slightly on the stove top and ran out to check on the fish to make sure it wasn't burning. The cedar plank had charred and there was smoke from the burning wood but the fish was nicely done and just starting to char a bit around the edges. Turning off the heat, he left it there on the grill while he went back inside to plate everything.

"Okay, we're ready, take your seats, " Rick said.

He plated the veggies and the potatoes before bringing them outside and placing them on the table. He then brought the cedar plank directly to the table where he used it as the serving platter.

Twilight had already poured the wine and as a special treat had added a touch of it to Twyla's water. It was enough to give it a little colour, but not enough to actually do anything. They believed that when alcohol was available and enjoyed responsibly then kids wouldn't grow up desiring it and getting all stupid once they were of age.

Raising their glasses Rick said, "to Twyla getting her cutie mark! May her special talent bring her happiness and joy!" They clinked their glasses together and dug into the food.

Compliments were given to the chef, everybody enjoyed their meal and when it was done it was now time for the dessert.

The cupcakes were brought out and Twyla's had the image of her cutie mark on it. She squeed happily when she saw it. Rick of course had to take a couple pictures of the happy child and her cupcake before she was able to eat her dessert. As usual, Pinkie Pie had made some incredible cupcakes. Nothing here on Earth could match what the pink party pony could whip up.

Satisfied, they sat around the table a little longer. Rick and Twilight slowly finishing thier wine before Twilight turned to Twyla and asked her, " do you have any homework to finish tonight?"

"Yeah, a bit."

"Okay, why don't you get started on that. We'll clear the table and if you have time later, we'll watch a movie. Okay?"

"Okay!" Twyla said before running inside.

Rick saw there was still some wine left in the bottle and figured they might as well drain it. Pouring half of it into Twilight's glass before draining the rest in his, she looked at him with a twinkle in her eye and asked, "are you trying to get me drunk?"

"Well that all depends, is it working?" he said with a leer.

"Let me finish my wine and I'll tell you."

"But before you finish that, we're missing something. Be right back." Rick cleared the table and brought out some 2 year old cheddar and a cutting board.

"You read my mind, " Twilight said as she cut herself a piece.

They sat there, drinking their wine, nibbling on the cheese and admiring the look of the sky as the sun slowly set.

Rick leaned over casually to Twilight and asked, "so when are you going into season next?"

Twilight smiled at him, a little drunk on the wine and very drunk on love and said, "about 6 weeks or so."

Rick nodded and said, "it's funny, because I was thinking that in 6 weeks time or so I'd want to take a bit of a vacation in Equestria. Just you and me in some quiet out of the way place. Sound good to you?"

"I think we could do that."

He took her hand in his, smiled and said, "I love you Twilight Sparkle."

"I love you too."

They picked up their wine glasses and moved over onto the loveseat where they could sit together. A quick kiss, she leaned into him and they just watched the sun set over the trees happy to have found that elusive thing called "happiness" and looking forward to whatever the future might hold.

Comments ( 30 )

Righteous!:twilightsmile:

Now that's a happy ending to a great story.

I shouldn't tempt fate, but any chance of a sequel? Maybe Twyla and her adventures?

5 mustaches and a happy Twilight :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache: :twilightsmile:

Love this story and that was a great ending :rainbowkiss::pinkiehappy:

An awesome ending to an awesome story. Good job brony :yay:.

Though I do have one question. I should have asked this a couple chapters ago, but, just like everything else I do online, I kept forgetting to ask it any time I was near a computer. So here goes: How did RD and AJ have a colt? I thought the magic that got her pregnant was supposed to make it a girl?

1200396
Yeah, them having a colt was a combination of writing on too little sleep (when your muse is whispering in your ear, you just go with it), forgetting I had written that, not proofreading after the fact and when it came to write that scene in the hospital I felt I needed to add another colt into the mix. So their filly became a colt which messed up the story.

So Flame Flicker, has undergone gender reassignment surgery and has been retconned as a filly much to the pleasure of his parents who didn't mind he was a colt cuddler but wished he would just tone it down a bit.

1200146

Sequel? I don't really know yet. Right now I want to give writing a bit of a rest. But who knows, I never intended to write this story either and literally started a couple days after finishing "Doorway". We'll see how things go.

Well. That certainly was interesting.

1204650
Interesting good? Interesting bad? Interesting meh?

a good ending to the best HIE story. i give :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::fluttercry:
the cry is becuse the story did end

Ahhhh....satisfying....took two days but I finally cleared both of these stories! I regret nothing and look towards the future in hopes of more literary works like this! for your reward you get most of the cast!:ajsmug::applecry::flutterrage::pinkiehappy::rainbowkiss::raritystarry::scootangel::trixieshiftright::twilightsmile::unsuresweetie::trollestia::moustache::eeyup:

:raritycry: oh god another end to a ANOTHER great story >< and as usual twyla is adorable /):rainbowkiss:(\ and that's actually kinda true if you drink alcohal beverages in resposible amounts it reduses chances of abusing it later on when I was 16 accidently drank one of my dads glasses of beer spat that crap right out ugh but my mom offered a regular mikes hard lemonade at 17 to see if I liked it was hellava lot better then beer didn't drink it much tho but there are occations that I do now that I'm 19 anyway enough rambling on my life story xD its time for side stories!! :D again thank you for writing a memorable fic it kinda makes think my little pony would have been fantastic if it was made for an older mature audience ^w^

Spacecowboy
Moderator

And I was not dissappointed at all whatsoever with this sequel, my god. Another amazing tale with the continuation of Rick and Twi, and again you handled it amazingly so. I especially loved how you finially finished off Discord, I laughed quite hard when I read that scene. It is also a very nice ending to the tale, and it seems like Rick and Twi are done having stories with them as the focus, which I think is just fine, as you gave us two very good stories with them. I'll have to read the side stories to the Door sometime later as well.

Thanks for sharing two wonderful tales, and I'll be watching you for whatever your mind comes up with next.

Hmmmm...
Very nice.
Very nice indeed.

Just read this in one go, and it was great! :pinkiehappy:

demanding a sequel to a sequel now. now im kidnapping you and ransoming you for a sequel to a sequel :pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

2049420
You're going to have to make do with the side stories for the time being. :scootangel:

2049446 OH THE HUMANITY!!!! :raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair:

2049450
Well, there's sequel type bits in there, but the chapters are very non-linear.

I'm amazed that I haven't found Doorway and this story sooner. I finished both stories in two days and absolutely loved them~

Now to read Doorway: Side Stories. :twilightsmile:

2754190
Thank you very much. :twilightblush:

1528178 Sweet Celestia you talk a lot. Sixteen comments in a row wow :pinkiegasp:
(no offence)

2778827 rofl :rainbowlaugh::rainbowwild: no offence taken :twilightsmile: since this story ended i wanted to comment once on all chapters (most) it a really great story :D just started?

2757403 really happy people are still reading your stories java :) they definitly deserve the attention ^^

2779485
These old stories of mine are still getting the occasional views so I'm not going to complain.

2973256 and a "squelching" noise dont forget that! :trollestia:

very WAFFY and loved it!:scootangel:

3077724
I'm assuming that "WAFFY" is good?

I'll take it anyway considering you liked it. And thank you very much. :pinkiehappy:

3079241 WAFF - Warm And Fuzzy Feeling
not just adorable, but makes you feel happy:raritywink:

Spacecowboy
Moderator

1563134

Wow, it's been a long time since I last read this and its prequel. Time has refined my taste a bit, and taking up writing myself has also shown quite a bit.

Your story has stood up relatively well to time. This time around I noticed quite a bit of errors in both the structure and grammar that I probably did not notice the first time around, as I hadn't really learned the technicals of writing yet. The errors don't detract from the story though, they both read pretty well still even with them.

Rereading both also reminded me of just how deceiving short the stories are. Especially the opener to the first story. It is massive in size compared to everything else, and one is lulled into thinking that rather than a 60k-ish story, they're walking into one more along the lines of 200k or so. Not bad at all, after all that hook is extremely important. The ideas contained within still hold up quite well, even with all of the changes the fandom and source material have gone through.

You're keeping my follow for sure, still hoping you manage to find that 'next big thing' that sets off your inspiration, as I'm sure you've learned a lot from what you have written so far, and it only lends to the promise of an even better, more refined product should you ever pick up that mantle.

Take care, it was nice to read this story again.

4143229
In my defense I don't really know much about grammar, sentence structure or where to use a comma so I have a tendency to wing it and go by what looks good to me. But thanks for re-reading it and that you still like it the second time around.

Login or register to comment