• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 698 Views, 89 Comments

Big Tavi Lil Tavi Cardboard Box - All Art Is Quite Useless



A mishap involving Vinyl Scratch's latest piece of audio equipment is only the start of a whole heap of problems. Now, with all pretense stripped from Vinyl's character, how will she adapt to life being the mare she's always appeared not to be?

  • ...
3
 89
 698

Top Shotta

Author's Note:

Tracklist:
Mountain - Mississippi Queen
Rise Against - Prayer Of The Refuge
Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown
Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen
Muse - Sunburn

Octavia's room was not her haven. She did not see it as a place to relax and unwind, but rather as a work area. The aesthetics, private space and comfortable bed were just added bonuses. This was not to say that Octavia did not like her room, nor that she disliked having her own space. Rather, she liked to spend the time she had when she was in there doing something that took its toll on her, lest she become too used to seeing it as a place of pampering and elect to never leave.

I am quite sure that it would be lovely to sit in comfort all day, every day, with a good book and a strong tea or a ruby ale, but if I am ever to make any progress in life, I must never find out.

Octavia had just finished reviewing the most recent composition she had been sent, and was ready to put it into practice, but lacked the motivation. The piece she had been looking over was to be played at The Gilded Light, a moderately sized opera house in Canterlot, in two weeks time. Unfortunately, she did not feel that the piece was anything extraordinary, and was hardly fond of it. This made it difficult to even play the melody repeatedly, let alone memorise it. What she wanted more than anything was to cast down her instrument and walk straight out of the door, making a bee line for the spa. The way she saw it, it may be a bad idea to relax inside your own home, but as an excursion, it could be passed off as part of one's itinerary, a necessity, a part of routine.

I really should go somewhere. I have not left this house in days, and I am beginning to grow restless. What am I really accomplishing by looking over these sheets without a period of rest anyway? Sometimes the best way to move forwards is to stand still. Who thought of that? It most certainly is not. The best way to move forwards, is simply to move forwards, as I will now.

Octavia felt that her life was filled with the chaos she compulsively attempted to purge from it on a daily basis. Here she was, standing upon the precipice of boredom, ready to fall, if only to see what might catch her. She decided to fall with gusto.

Smiling a small, contented smile, she trotted out of the house, mane brushed and bow-tie straightened, not even bothering to feel guilty about her unfinished obligation.

I can finish that any time in the next two weeks, but I am only going to feel like this until I do something about it. How do I feel, anyway? Am I unsettled? I do not feel it. If anything I feel as if I am relieved. Likely because I'm away from that substandard piece, if only for a little while.

Octavia passed row upon row of suburban houses, all of which were just as colourful as the rest of Ponyville. The different tones and shades managed to entwine, bringing an upbeat and almost comical element to the town that lay sprawled around her, two qualities that the music she had been learning definitely lacked, though the attempt was obvious.

See, this scenery purveys those feelings because they are inherent. Those attributes feel almost intrinsic to this town. The piece, on the other hoof, feels as if it has been forced and coerced into taking on that effect. It does not feel natural, hence it is not captivating. I could never be enthralled by something that tries to be charming, because all of the really charming things in life never do.

In the midst of her thoughts, Octavia realised that she had not thought of Vinyl all day, and wondered just what it was that she was doing. She knew that she had elected to go and see Princess Twilight today, as was Octavia's desire, but had not considered the matter since then. As she continued walking, she softly chewed the side of her cheek and glanced into the distance, suddenly in deeper thought.

I hope that she is okay. Facing royalty is completely nerve wracking. I am curious as to how Princess Twilight will be able to help Vinyl, though. I hope that nothing drastic needs to happen. I couldn't bare to think that I was responsible for sending her to be hypnotised, or anything to that effect. Princess Twilight would not do something like that though, would she? She will have me to deal with if she has.

Octavia harrumphed as she continued, knowing that her thought was irrational and she was now winding herself up. She seemed to have a habit of doing so when Vinyl Scratch, her illustrious roommate, was up for discussion. She dismissed this thought as she did the others, yearning to go back to her quiet contemplation of Ponyville's architecture, in contrast with her dull, unappreciated sheet music, but finding that she could not without a struggle.

You had to do it Octavia. You just had to go and push the Vinyl button. I am going to need two spa sessions at this rate.

As Octavia neared the day spa, she started to consider just what she might request. She had not been in about two weeks, favouring showering in her own bathroom for convenience's sake, and monetary reasons, and knew she was overdue to buy some more of the specialised and slightly overpriced shampoo Aloe and Lotus sold, the same shampoo that kept her coat especially silky at all times.

An image should be important to any mare, especially one that is a performer. However, I feel that I am not entirely myself if I do not look absolutely radiant. Is that conceit, on some level? I suppose it must be. It matters not. Not all of us are content to just wake up in the morning and throw some gel in our manes. Humph. Vinyl always looks so well groomed though, I wonder if she ever attends the spa? I will have to ask at some point today. Dammit, Octavia, you're doing it again. Ugh, why must that mare always feel the need to be involved in everything? Even my thoughts. Bloody annoying, is what it is. 'Hello, I'm Vinyl Scratch, the definition of avant-garde. You will talk about me.'

Octavia laughed aloud at her private, mental mockery, feeling she had made some valid and grand point, and her musical joviality echoed throughout the spa's reception. Aloe perked up at this sound, seldom heard from a mare such as Octavia unless she was with good company, and smiled on instinct. Aloe very much liked Octavia, she was polite, her expectations were coherent, and she was a good tipper, provided her and her sister did a good job, which they always did. She wasn't however, one for random bouts of laughter, nor any significant period of conversation. Thus, she was mildly shocked when Octavia approached, and, instead of rattling off a small list of what she needed done, as she always did, decided to settle for a simple greeting. Aloe responded almost instantly.

"Ah, hello, Miss Melody. Is everything okay for you today?"

Octavia's smile remained painted on her lips until she spoke, and returned after she had finished.

"Simply splendid, dear, yourself? I know that week days can be dreadfully slow here at times. I hope you're not becoming bored, sat behind that desk all day long."

Octavia's eyes emphasised her apparent sympathy. Aloe still didn't know what to make of the fact that Octavia was making small talk, it felt alien to say the least. Usually the only places she actually opened up enough to be part of a decent conversation were during a mud bath or at times a back massage, although she ordered massages rarely. Aloe realised that in the last several seconds she hadn't replied to Octavia's comment, and jolted up to reply to her customer.

"Yes, yes, everything here is very good for us today, Miss Melody. We have not had any problem, but the wait can be very boring for new ponies to come, you know? Now, do you know what you will be having today, please? There is no rush, but if you are wanting the sauna I will have to be telling Lotus to heat up more of the water, you see?"

"Actually, I think I have come to a decision, Aloe dear."

"And may I ask what your decision is, please?"

Octavia grinned outwardly. "I would like everything. A full treatment, if you please. I do not mind waiting if that is necessary."

Lotus was again, shocked, but this time more visibly.

"A full treatment? Miss Melody, if you do not mind me saying so, you have always been very, what is the word... particular, about your treatments when you have visited the spa. Why the sudden changing of heart, if I may wonder?"

Octavia could not subdue the brightness on her face as she continued. "Now is not a time for deliberation, nor is it a time for particularity. I am happy, and I wish for my body to reflect that. I also wish to relax. Do you think me selfish for these things, Aloe?"

"Of course not, Miss Melody. A hard working mare like you always deserves to relax. In fact, allow me give a half price charge to you, for your lovely visits. You are deserving it this time, I think."

"Nonsense! I will pay full price, you and your sister deserve every bit coming your way."

"I will not have an argument with you. I have said half price and we will not accept any more bits than this, you see?"

"Fine. Thank you very much Aloe. I apologise for being so stubborn."

"It is no problem, Miss Melody. Anyway, where would you like to be going first?"

"Surprise me." Octavia turned at this point and sat, making to face Aloe once again so as not to be rude.

"Surprise you? I am surprised. I like how you are being today, I am glad you are more happy Miss Melody. I will go and speak to Lotus now, please read any of the magazines that are on the table while you are waiting for me to come back. I will be fast."

Despite her imperfect syntax, Octavia admired Aloe's ability to always maintain a professional tone whilst serving her. She sat, absentmindedly perusing a two day old fashion and lifestyle magazine, and found herself thinking of Lotus's words.

Lotus was right, this is not like me. No routine, no holding back, just full indulgence! I have the feeling it will be a wonderful treat too. I did enjoy deciding on the spot like that, with no thought in advance too! How delightfully chaotic it was. Hold on, who do I sound like?

Somewhere in Canterlot, in a small wagon, an invisible Discord was repeatedly blowing out a certain showpony's lit candle, until his ears perked up.

Dismissing the light disturbance she was sure she had just felt in the air as a draft, Octavia let her smile return not consciously realising that the session hadn't even started yet, but the anticipation of doing something differently to usual was enough to take her mind off of her roommate. When Aloe returned, telling her that the sauna was ready, where they would start, to sweat out any impurities and relax the skin, Octavia moved with vigor, chatting with Lotus all of the way down.