• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 698 Views, 89 Comments

Big Tavi Lil Tavi Cardboard Box - All Art Is Quite Useless



A mishap involving Vinyl Scratch's latest piece of audio equipment is only the start of a whole heap of problems. Now, with all pretense stripped from Vinyl's character, how will she adapt to life being the mare she's always appeared not to be?

  • ...
3
 89
 698

So What's It Gonna Be?

Author's Note:

Tracklist:
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
Judas Priest - Leather Rebel
Megadeth - Holy Wars the Punishment Due
Rush - Spirit of the Radio
Black Sabbath - Symptom of the Universe

As Vinyl walked, soft psychedelic trance playing in her ears and a hard mint slowly disintegrating in her mouth, she thought back to why she was walking, and concluded that she would keep her pace, rather than stopping to drag things out a little more.

It's inevitable, I suppose. I've agreed to it after all. Either get help, or some advice at least, or stay how I was.

Vinyl's nerves were superficially calm, any pony that walked past her would remember the certain spring she had in her step, and the calm grin she wore upon her face, as she did almost always. However, on the inside, she was at odds.

What should I even say? Oh, hi Princess, I'm Vinyl Scratch. You may have heard my music being played by intoxicated ponies in raves and nightclubs. Thing is, I'm really a complete freaking brainiac with a load of issues and I don't know how to open up or balance myself, and as a result I'm driving the one friend I have away. Also, I might be depressed, and I don't know who the hell I am when I look in the mirror half the time. And that's not even the half of it. Hold on, what do I even look like? I'm meant to be addressing royalty here.

Vinyl paused to regard herself, but with the lack of a mirror, it was difficult. She instantly regretted her decision to bring her large, bulky headphones with her. Even though she could quite easily take them off and leave them to hang around her neck, headphones and purple shades were hardly fitting attire for a meeting with the Princess of Friendship. She briefly thought about the transmogrification charm keeping her mane spiked and aloft, but decided against removing it, knowing she would need to spend considerable time with a brush in order to straighten out her hair, which would be especially clumpy. She didn't have a brush with her.

As she approached the massive tree shaped castle, with it's wooden, unassuming door for an entrance, she assessed the size of the structure, and assumed there would be a desk or reception of some sort. She had never been inside the castle before, as she had never had reason to enter, but as she neared the double doors, she could feel a part of her wondering about the architecture, knowing it had been blinked into existence, and wondering what materials it was made from, what magic made it possible to erect such a structure. Unfortunately, all of this wonder was drowned out by her next assumption, one she made as she opened the door, which proved startlingly easy to push with hooves despite its stature, and began to step inside.

I'm entering a castle, to request an audience with a princess. Not only do I look like an utter mess, but I'm here for a walk-in appointment. Walk-ins mean anterooms, and you can bet they don't appreciate music blasting through the waiting pony's headphones here. So I'm stuck in a freaking waiting room for however long it takes for Princess Twilight to see me, in total silence, and I look like this. Ten bits says I'm institutionalised within the hour.

At this point, Vinyl reconsidered her position. She could, by all means, turn tail and leave. No one had spotted her since she had quietly stepped in, and it was unlikely anyone would notice if she stepped right back out, and forgot about this whole endeavour. She could go home, tell her roommate that all went well and she was on the road to recovery, and not have to deal with any of this.

And then what, have another silly breakdown because nothing will have changed? Come on, Vinyl, you're better than this. Sure it might be difficult, but are you really going to run away again? Go and do something about your problems instead of letting them eat away at you for once! You can do it, make yourself proud.

Vinyl's improvised motivational speech is what allowed her to keep moving, despite the worry still clawing at her mind. As she trotted on, she noticed a young unicorn mare sitting behind a desk, to the side of the room. The mare had a light pink coat and a purple mane with streaks of aqua blue running throughout. Vinyl had never met the mare before, but walked on toward her, hoping she could be of some assistance.

"Hello, my name's Vinyl Scratch. I'm hoping to request an audience with the Princess, do you know who I would go to in order to arrange that?"

The mare laughed heartily and in doing so flashed two rows of brilliantly white teeth, before responding.

"My, you're a formal one, aren't you, Miss Vinyl Scratch? Well look no further. I, Starlight Glimmer, magical mare extraordinaire, will aid you in this task. I've actually heard of you before, you know? I mean, of course I've heard of you, seeing as you're famous and all that buzz, but I mean that Twilight once suggested I make friends with you, although I don't think you could hear with those headphones on at the time. Funny, considering she clearly doesn't know you that well, or you wouldn't be requesting an audience with her. And she's meant to be the expert on these things."

Starlight finished her sentence with a slightly smug grin, which Vinyl supposed she could attribute to the fact she had just one upped the Princess in her own small way. Vinyl, internally, found this quite amusing, but didn't outwardly display it in fear of being reprimanded. Starlight Glimmer knows Princess Twilight, after all. It's her place to say such things.

"Well I'm glad you'll be able to help me, Starlight. And no, I'm not typically the formal type, I just assumed it would be protocol here."

Starlight laughed once again, in her musical, slightly derisive and playful manner.

"Protocol? This is the Castle of Friendship, not the Castle of Taxes and Legislation! You'll be just fine speaking as you always would, around me at least" She winked. "As for Twilight, I'm afraid she's booked up for the next three weeks, I can possibly slot you in for a meeting on April 26th?"

Vinyl looked away, slightly dejected but simultaneously relieved. Starlight grinned once again before continuing.


"Just kidding! What kind of princess can't make time for her subjects? You'll be able to see her today, I'm sure. Although, in all seriousness, she is currently undergoing a diplomatic etiquette lesson, pretty important stuff really."


Vinyl looked up, not particularly surprised that such things were part of the Princess's regimen. Twilight Sparkle was a relatively new princess, after all, and was likely not as versed on all of the nuances of diplomacy and the treatment of dignitaries as others who had been born into their station. Nonetheless, she wondered what an etiquette lesson for a princess might entail. Maybe something on public speaking? Or how to address particular races, and how their customs work. It could even be dinner manners! Vinyl imagined the princess at a dinner with a bunch of ambassadors, using the wrong soup spoon as everypony watched in horror, and stifled a giggle.

"What, you thought my joke was funny?" Starlight asked.

Vinyl blanched, realising her mistake. "Um, y-yeah, real funny, haha!" She could almost feel the pony in her head facehoofing at flagellant levels.

Starlight's grin was replaced with a more genuine one. "Oh, thanks. I think it was a bit off colour myself, I'm glad I could make you laugh though."

Vinyl nodded, glad she had got away with her treasonous mockery, before responding articulately.

"So, where should I wait for the princess to be done?"

Vinyl did not like the idea of waiting in a small, empty quiet room for an indeterminate amount of time, and hoped she could remain speaking to Starlight Glimmer. The mare appeared happy, if a little insecure and boisterous. She thought she could see herself in there, just a little.

"Well, you could wait here." Starlight mused.

This was an immense relief to Vinyl, who had already began psyching herself up for the prospect of sitting around doing nothing. Then, Starlight continued, and doubt formed in her belly.

"Or you could just go straight in. Personally, I'd recommend that. Twilight doesn't like people to walk on eggshells around her, especially if that behaviour is due to her status."

"But isn't it rude to barge in on somepony during a lesson on manners?"

"She should be just about finished anyway. If you go now you should be able to catch her before she goes off to do something else."

Vinyl cocked an eyebrow. "And you're sure about this?"

"Absolutely! And if not, you have full permission to blame me." Starlight grinned.

Vinyl grinned back. "I suppose if I have that I should just make myself at home, right?"

Starlight giggled vivaciously and threw her head back slightly. "That you should! Mi castle es su castle!"

"But it's not your castle." Vinyl deadpanned.

"Well I've got a room here. First that, then the world, huh?"

Starlight motioned to the space around her as she spoke, before taking a serious tone.

"I hope Twilight can help you. Now go, or you won't catch her!"

Vinyl moved urgently in the direction Starlight indicated. "I'm off there now, thanks a ton!"

Starlight only giggled in response, leaving Vinyl to wonder if she had played another prank on her since the first. She hoped not, as despite the mirth of her previous conversation, to treat the matter she was here for as a joke also would be undue levity, and she would not think favourably upon Starlight if she had indeed been pranked. She carried on walking down a winding corridor, hoping to find the throne room promptly, so she would have less time to worry about what was going to happen next.


I hope this isn't a joke. I really don't need Princess Twilight getting angry at me right now. I just want to get in, say my piece and get this over with. Although, I suppose if she gets mad, I can always say that Starlight said it was okay to go straight in. I mean she did, after all, and I'm not getting in trouble for her amusement if I can help it. I'd like to think she isn't tricking me though, but that giggle of hers was the same as when she told me Twilight wasn't free, and her intonation didn't vary once. She's clearly a good liar. If she has played me I'm gonna be pretty damn pissed.

Knowing she would just get wound up if she stopped to think on the matter any longer, she continued for the door, opening it and walking in on a scene which could only be described as quite odd. Vinyl had seen some strange things before, particularly in gothic raves, but those things often had an air of depravity or wickedness about them. This scene, however, was just weird. Vinyl had absolutely no clue what was going on.

Princess Twilight was stood in the centre of the room, the thrones and table adjacent. Opposite her was Rainbow Dash. Vinyl knew both of the mares by name and title only, having barely conversed with either before, and never having spoken at length. The thing that seemed odd though, was how close they were standing to one another, and more so, the rhythmic pattern of soft wing beats emanating from the pair as they spoke, not taking their eyes from one another.

At points they stopped speaking, only for Rainbow to say certain words and phrases, eyes still trained on Twilight, looking as if she was attempting to evoke a reaction. Twilight stayed still as she listened, but occasionally her wings fluttered and twitched, as if she was irritated. After this, they resumed speaking, back and forth.

Vinyl took in the scene as she stood by the door, wondering whether she should make her presence known or let the two friends finish their strange, flapping, twitching conversation first.

This was clearly the joke. Starlight told me there were etiquette lessons going on when there weren't. Either that or they finished early, or she got her times mixed up. Still, I don't want to interrupt a private conversation, especially one like this. Why are they flapping in sync anyways? Is that an intimacy thing? Are they an item, maybe? If so, I've never heard about it. Maybe it's a secret? They haven't noticed I'm here. Oh shit, if I go now they'll hear the door close! Then Princess Twilight will know that I know, and she'll definitely hate me. Rainbow Dash could probably catch me in less than a minute anyways, there's no point in running, I'll just act oblivious and hope for the best.

After mustering an imitation of courage, Vinyl meekly spoke up. "Um, Princess? Princess Sparkle?"