• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 698 Views, 89 Comments

Big Tavi Lil Tavi Cardboard Box - All Art Is Quite Useless



A mishap involving Vinyl Scratch's latest piece of audio equipment is only the start of a whole heap of problems. Now, with all pretense stripped from Vinyl's character, how will she adapt to life being the mare she's always appeared not to be?

  • ...
3
 89
 698

Back Once Again

Drying my hooves must be one of the most irritating things I do each day. Vinyl's bathroom rug moved from side to side, crinkling as she trotted in place, frowning all the while, slowly stripping the moisture from her hooves. I really should get that rug permanently affixed, I'm so tired of straightening it out.

When Vinyl's hooves were suitably dry, to the point that she would not slip whilst walking across her tiled bathroom floor at least, she grabbed the edge of the rug in her teeth and proceeded to put it back in its proper place. I don't know why I bother. It'll just get messed up again tomorrow, and it's not like anypony else comes in here. Do I have some sort of standard to maintain for myself? I let my room get in a mess, but I constantly straighten out this rug. Seems a little obsessive.

When Vinyl had finished, she put her shades on, which, like the rug, may as well have been permanently affixed. She then checked herself over in the mirror, and reapplied the charm to her mane, which dried and stiffened at her spell's application. Vinyl proceeded to swipe around the sides of her ears with a towel, before equipping her headphones, nearly as ever-present as her shades. As Vinyl turned them on, half volume, she simultaneously flipped the off switch on her bathroom speakers, which were until then playing a smooth, jazzy melody. Been a while since I've listened to music like that, suppose hearing Ditzy yesterday prompted me to revisit some classics? Could be so, or maybe things are just a little different right now.

As Vinyl walked into her bedroom, she considered the day's plans, rhythmically tapping her hoof as she stood in the centre of her room, a powerful sax solo working in concurrence with her thoughts. I know I need to see Twilight. I mean, I never actually sent her a letter, so that's a necessity. I wonder if I'll bump into Starlight again? Does she actually work the desk there? Is she a secretary? I would have asked, but she's on first name terms with the Princess, so I'd rather not offend her. Well, I wouldn't mind seeing her again, she seemed like a nice pony. She definitely seemed happy, at least. Maybe that's Princess Twilight's influence? Or maybe she was always like that. It would be silly to assume that everyone associated with the princess is a social leper, I'm likely the only one.

Laughing vocally at her self-deprecation in an attempt to stay positive, she sat and began to leaf through a book at random, something to occupy her hooves as she continued to think the coming day over. Will I see Ditzy today? Depends if she comes over I guess, I did say 'whenever' after all. Long distance communication would be so convenient right now, I swear. I mean, I don't even know when Princess Twilight is receiving audiences, I don't exactly want to turn up really early. What is the time anyway?

Vinyl opened her bedroom door and trotted down the hallway, into the front room, where she eyed the small clock, both hands pointing straight up. Heh, both up, like the crowd's hooves whenever I tour. Vinyl blinked. Huh, was that conceit? I guess I'm entitled to a little by now. Vinyl blinked once again, eyes still trained on the little clock. It's noon. Why did I think it was so early? Another blink, a look out the window, a double take. Shit, it's noon! I really should go and see Princess Twilight, she'll probably think I've given up otherwise. I knew I should have sent her a freaking letter. Forehooves trembling in slight panic, Vinyl began to fix breakfast before exclaiming "Screw breakfast!" and dashing her bowl into the sink with a well aimed shove.

She left the house, annoyed that she could not say goodbye to Octavia, who was likely in her own room, and took off toward the castle at a reasonably hurried pace. Screw breakfast? Really, Vinyl? A little dramatic, wasn't it? Was it even breakfast? I mean, it's past twelve, so surely that suggests it's time for lunch? If so, what the hell is brunch? Vinyl stopped in her tracks. Note to self: Find out what brunch is. Relieved that she had taken care of an important concern, Vinyl took off at the same pace.

Once again, Vinyl wondered about the castle's architecture as she approached, but did not stop to admire it as she would have liked to. She concluded that she would ask Princess Twilight more about the castle during their meeting, if it appeared to be going well. Vinyl was curious as to what her next meeting would entail, but knew also that she would not find out until she was there. I wonder if Rainbow Dash will be there? I doubt it. Unless those two have been practicing wing etiquette every day, in which case I feel sorry for Rainbow. But seriously, what would she get out of it? Princess Twilight is the Princess of Friendship, it's kind of her duty to help with these things, although she's not exactly paid for it or anything. At least, I don't think she is? Heh, I could imagine Princess Celestia paying her a wage, with income tax and everything.

Vinyl caught her building chuckle and allowed it to vibrate in her chest as she made for the double doors. But what would Rainbow get out of it? Etiquette teacher? Maybe. Maybe in some strange capacity she could be referred to as that. Therapist? I don't think so, it really doesn't strike me as her bag. Besides, it's not her role, and she doesn't have any obligation to stick around and listen to my crap, I wonder why she bothered last time? Maybe she was just bored, or didn't wanna go too far. Or maybe she's just nosy. Then again, maybe I'm being a little cynical. I just can't seem to figure it out--

"Hey! Vinyl Scratch, wasn't it?"

A pristine smile and a cheerful wave should have served to interrupt Vinyl's train of thought, but all it did was give her a concrete outlet for her queries. "Hey, Starlight. What do you know about Rainbow Dash?" Vinyl blurted. "Um, I mean..." Shit, did I really just say that? Floor, swallow me now and I'll owe you, big time.

"Well you remember my name, that's one thing." Starlight continued smiling her crystalline smile, unperturbed. "Hmm, Rainbow Dash?" Starlight considered Vinyl's question for a moment, rather than looking up and acknowledging the look of horror growing on Vinyl's face, before responding, a smirk present. "Well, I know she's a very important and renowned teacher of decorum." Starlight's mocking and playful laugh enveloped the hall behind her desk, where she sat once again.

Vinyl managed to stop forming plans to escape when she heard Starlight's response.Wait a second. Can I actually style this out? Vinyl tried her hoof at a convincing laugh, she thought she could have mustered better. "Yeah, you had me there, Starlight. I was expecting something totally different to what I saw." Thinking back to the situation, Vinyl realised that it had actually been quite funny, and felt genuine laughter begin to take over. "Seriously, good one!"

If Starlight was at all curious as to where the question had come from, it was not obvious. "Heh, glad you got a laugh out of it. Sorry I wasn't here when you got out yesterday, I got a little busy. I take it you're back to see Twilight again?"

Vinyl nodded, relieved by the change in subject.

"Don't worry, no diplomacy lessons to interrupt today! In fact, I believe Twilight cleared her afternoon schedule, knowing you were coming today." Starlight stated, smile unwavering.

Vinyl tilted her head in confusion. "I'm sorry, why would she clear her entire afternoon schedule? She isn't expecting to tutor me all day, is she? Besides, surely the duties of a princess outweigh the importance of a meeting with someone like me."

Starlight responded with yet another laugh. "You really don't know Princess Twilight, do you? To her, you and me are just as important as any dignitary or noble. She asked you to come back to her today, but neglected to suggest a time to you. As such, she figured it would only be fair to leave her schedule open for you, rather than summon you. She prefers not to do that, thinks it comes across as intimidating."

Vinyl considered the Princess's benevolence, leaving her whole day free just for her to be able to come knocking at any given moment.

"Plus," Starlight continued. "it gives her a chance relax. She's probably up there tearing through some obscure book older than my grandmother, or scolding Spike for something. Those are her two favourite leisure activities, as far as I can tell."

Vinyl laughed, albeit quietly, knowing that she still did not have the privilege to speak freely about the Princess, as Starlight often did. "You sure know a lot about her, huh?"

"I'd hope so," Starlight chuckled softly. "considering that she's my mentor and all."

Vinyl wasn't entirely shocked by this, but she couldn't hide her intrigue. "Really? That's so cool! So you're, like, Princess Twilight's student? That's pretty nifty, has your magic grown significantly since she started teaching you? You must be a really strong unicorn, what did you even do to land a tutelage like that?"

Starlight shifted uncomfortably and let out a sheepish chuckle before responding. "Yeah, um, I suppose my magic is growing. It's not really like that though. As for what I did to get here, it's a little complex to say the least. I made mistakes, Vinyl, but I'm getting over it, being here helps a lot, I feel at home here, and I find it easy to be myself, you know?"

Vinyl smiled, pretty sure they were still primarily discussing magic. "Well, yeah, but as long as you move past those mistakes, that's the important part, right? I mean, if you're here to learn, then I wouldn't worry about a little mistake or two. Everyone makes them after all, and not everyone makes the right choice straight away either. What matters is that you can always try to rectify your errors, if you really need to."

"I suppose, Vinyl. Honestly, I've done things with my life which I'm not entirely proud of, things which felt fulfilling at the time but looking back were a complete waste of life. I'm happy to be away from where I was. I'm happy to have this new life, to be able to move forward, and be open."

Maybe we're a little more similar than I thought. Vinyl mused. "Well you seem to be doing a good job of it. What's Princess Twilight's personal student doing at a desk though?"

Starlight sighed quietly. "As much as I'd love to say I came from a regal family and waltzed up to Twilight with bits coming out of my ears, I barely had a scrap to my name when she took me in and gave me a place to live, as well as my lessons. Now, the kingdom treasury more than allows Twilight to employ a full staff, including replacements when current staff go on leave. That's just it though, the usual receptionist is on maternity leave, and I offered to fill in. I don't like feeling like some sort of freeloader, after all. I must say, riveting work. I can see why ponies go and have children to get away from it for a while."

Starlight paused to join Vinyl in a spell of laughter. "Anyway, I'm keeping you. She'll likely be in her throne room, or the study, which I'll direct you to if she's not in the first room. I mean Celestia forbid I have an excuse to stand for a few minutes."

Starlight sure does complain a lot. It's pretty funny actually, she's good company. Also, she interests me a lot. Maybe I should stick around and talk to her a while longer after I'm done with Twilight? Luna knows I could use the socialisation right now. Twilight might not like it though, I don't want to distract her important magic student. Vinyl snorted. Distract her from what? Desk watching? I doubt it would hurt. I'll ask just to be sure though.

"Um, Vinyl?" Starlight waved a limp hoof in front of her face, prompting a small gasp and a jump from Vinyl, who had been standing immobile for about ten seconds. "Zoned out, did you?" Starlight asked.

Vinyl forced a smile, embarrassed by Starlight's noticing of her obvious daydreaming, realising that the conversation was meant to have ended then and there, and that normal ponies think whilst walking away, rather than before saying goodbye to the ponies they are talking to. "Sorry, yeah, I must have. These meetings are still a lot to take in, that's all. Anyway, you're right, I should go find Princess Twilight. It was good talking though! I'll see you soon, Starlight."

Starlight smiled a kind smile. "Hey, don't worry about it, Vinyl, we all daydream a little sometimes, don't we? I'm sure you will, try to enjoy your time with Twilight as best you can."

Vinyl nodded, smiled once again, and turned to leave. That was actually really nice. Vinyl began to walk at a slow but upbeat pace, headphones around her neck, tail swishing slightly, and head bopping. She continued this way until Starlight called out for her, encouraging her to turn halfway round to face Starlight.

Starlight's previously warm smile grew into a mischievous and mocking grin. "Hey, Vinyl! At least this time you didn't come out of your daydream babbling about Rainbow Dash, huh?"

Vinyl froze. Hey, floor? I'm serious this time. Freaking do it already.