• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 1,614 Views, 88 Comments

Will Ye No Come Back Again? - Judge Holden



The time that he served had shattered all his nerve. A young man goes into the light.

  • ...
10
 88
 1,614

Sam Battles The Pink Menace Again

"Tell all the truth, but tell it slant- success in ciruit lies."

-Emily Dickinson


In case you aren't following along, I woke up in a forest miles out from civilization in an unfamiliar body that shouldn't even technically exist, because I was too stupid to grasp the concept of flanking the enemy- as if that would have done me any good.

I had no family here. I couldn't call in a no questions asked favor with anyone on account of knowing nopon- nobody super well. Not even Rares.

I froze while I nibbled at a piece of toast. The gears in my head started spinning again. What if I lie to get out of that first lie? There's nothing smarter than that technique.

Pinkie was just yapping her nutty little head off while she and I ate- the managers of the establishment, Mr. and Mrs. Cake (I swear to God, you cannot make that up) were both off doing errands. The shop was closed today. I left the gold coins I was given at the table anyway. Surely they were worth something.

"...and that's when I earned my Master in Quantum Mechanics."

I faked a smile. "That's really cool, Pinkie Pie."

"Ooh! Did I tell you about paleontology? You see, funny story..."

I was once able to sneak out of school by just walking out the door with an air of confidence, and I could probably do the same here if I were exactly as I was back home. But this new damned body, and new emotions... I'm lucky these horses even speak English.

Wait, what if they aren't speaking English and I just magically learned horse language? After everything that's happened so far, it wouldn't surprise me.

"Sammy?"

I blinked and gave my head a gentle shake. Pinkie was eyeing me expectantly.

"Huh?"

"Let's go!"

Shit. Before I could say or do anything, she picked me up by the scruff of my neck.

"I- I-"

The door shut behind us, and she set me down in front of her.

"Lead the way! Just promise me when you come back we can have your welcome to Ponyville party."

I took a breath to steel myself. I had to find a way out of this.

Part of me asked why, though. Why not just admit I was a ward of the state? The place I found myself in was pretty nice so far, so I wondered if an orphanage would treat me as well here. At least I'd get three square meals and a warm bed.

Yet again I thought back to my dreams, specifically the one last night. If the recurring horse person in my dream was anything to go by, there was more than a review of my day or life going on. Additionally, she told me not to leave the ones I knew now.

I stole a glance up at the Pink Menace. The more I thought of it, the less I wanted to leave after all. It was funny- I may have no longer been in the war, but I still felt as though there were a conflict I was involved in. I wanted to tell her that I didn't really have anywhere to go, but at the same time I didn't want to admit to myself my changing feelings about this horse; this town.

"So?" she asked, pulling me from my thoughts. "See anypony that looks familiar to you?"

We were in town square, and there were many horses throughout- some were standing by the fountain I'd been spending my time at.

Moment of truth. I pointed with my front hoof out at an orange horse with a cowboy hat on. It was the only one I'd seen so far that wore something like that, so my logic was she came from out of town, which lessened the chance that Pinkie would either know her, or that she would be around to ask questions later.

Pinkie looked back and forth between me and who I was pointing at. Then, she grinned at me.

"You know Applejack?" she asked.

God, why do you hate me?

Before I could say I was mistaken, Pinkie bounced off towards the horse with the hat. I had to hope that she would see the desperation in my eyes and play along.

End of Chapter