• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 1,764 Views, 78 Comments

Ponies in war - General Sparky



Ponies are meant to be thought that war was never going to happen, little that they know that the opposite is actually true. How would they react to the horrors of war? And could they even make it back to Equestria?

  • ...
20
 78
 1,764

Battle of Moscow

Note: This is past selves Sparky, Twilight, Pinkie and Derpy. It bears no relation to the current main characters at Pearl Harbour


Historical Facts:
The Germans never actually reached Moscow. Due to Winter, the Germans faced casualties due to the snow and not combat, logistical problems caused suppiles shortage and the snow forced the German Air force to be grounded, not able to provide air support during the battle. The Russians managed to launch a counter offensive on the 5th of December, which the Germans were unprepared for. This forced the Germans to withdraw along the entire line. This caused the German line to fall back and temporary stalled the German Advance. The German Army never moved closer to Moscow after that battle.


For this chapter, the Conditions will be the same, but with ponies like Sparky and Twilight, the Offensive will continue as the Germans have Air Support and suppiles delivered from the Air.


Before the Battle of Moscow, 20 November 1941, Perpective: Twilight's past self

After just arriving from the Battle of Britian, the German High Command sent us to fight the Russians. Our job was to provide air support to German forces invading Russia. Seems eazy enough.

'Provide air support' suddenly turned into a whole new level when the winter started arriving. The German Air force was grounded by the thick snow. We had a sudden increase in missions. Due to the fact that we are the only flyable objects during winter, we are now trying to maintain air supremacy with three pegasus and to deliver suppiles to the front lines is no eazy feat.

Derpy started to become the pony to deliver messages from the front lines to behind the front lines and vice versa. Sparky and I became versatile aircrafts. We would do an array of missions, like dropping suppiles for the German Army, fighthing the Soviet Air Force, Bombing cities and provide close in air support. I have no idea why would we be the only ones doing these missions because of the grounded planes but orders are orders. We would usually run missions after missions without sleep. We got used to this and we literally did not slept for 10 days straight just to support the German Ground Force.

No matter how tired all of us are, Pinkie would always try different ways to keep our morale and tireness up. Derpy somehow managed to keep herself awake during delivery and recieved little rest in between breaks. But to continue the war effort, We don't mind.

Somehow, we got ourselves each a nickname: Derpy- Mail Mare, Sparky- Thunderbolt, Twilight- Lightningbolt and Pinkie- Confetti Queen. Little did I know that the names were codewords to cover our true identity.


Perpective: German General Guderian

In a letter that was sent to German High Command, he wrote:

Dear Führer,
I want to report that the ponies are very helpful, our troops are getting resuppiled faster via Air than via Land. My troops have captured Vyazma and Bryansk and is moving in on Moscow. Thunderbolt and Lightningbolt are fulfilling missions at a speed faster than any pilot in the Luftwaffe. I have heard that these two pilots have not slept for 2 days straight, which no one could accomplish. Their help has greatly increase the speed of the Advance. The Mail Mare has contributed significantly too towards the war effort, delivering Mail faster than the Enigma chiper code. This group of ponies managed to work in the harsh Winter storm has earned my respect and admiration. In conclusion, I am convinced that Operation Typhoon would be a success for the German Army.
Yours truly, General Heinz Guderian
Map used for reference:

Despite gaining ground, the winter still cause casualties and terrible conditions for my troops to advance, I fear that even if Operation Typhoon is a success, the victory would not have the intended effect. I thought.


30 November 1941, Perpective: Twilight's past self

We have just flown another mission and the sleepless days are starting to take a toll. Some many missions has been done and the fact that we have been awake for so long means that we need rest. A voice inside me keeps telling me to take a break and just rest but I just keep running mission after mission, even Pinkie admitted that this was something she couldn't do no matter how hard she tried. The amount of flight have perhaps led our mind to fly too.

Thanks to Sparky, I managed to keep myself awake. I was just loaded with another baggage of suppiles and then it hit me and I just collaspe on the runway.

These collapse usually comes when we are on the Runway. We need just 1 hour of sleep and we are awake for some reason. Probably our survival instinct is kicking into high gear, I think.


4 December 1941, Battle of Moscow

The Ground Force has been moving so fast that they reached the Outskirts of Moscow by 4 December 1941.

Then everything started to change, We are now running Bombing mission after Bombing mission. We have been bombing Moscow since 1st December 1941. We moved so fast that the Anti-aircraft guns could not reach us. Moscow was heavily defended, with hastely built trenches, and anti- tank barrier and Anti-aircraft guns all over the city. Our Bombing runs has weaken the defences even further.

We could only carry small bombs on our wings so we used the MG42s installed in our wings to do more damage.


7 December 1941, Battle of Moscow

They did it, they finally did it. On the morning of December 7, The Japanese bombed and captured Pearl Harbour. To German forces, It gave a rise in Morale as the Japanese has finally joined the war effort, or so they think.

The truth is that the Japanese only declared war with the Americians and not on Russia, so that quickly lowered the German morale effectively, but not as much since their 'Victory' in Operation Typhoon still cause a morale boost.

There was no ending the Battle of Moscow, the Germans has just entered the Outskirts of the city, which is good progress but Moscow was still effectively in Russians' hands. We were give new orders: to bombard convoys delivering suppiles to Moscow.

Orders after Orders, when will this end, I thought.


1 week later

With destroyed supply lines, lack of tanks and armored vehicles and the battle was now fought building by building. The Russians, not giving up till the end, was now trying to regroup and fight a guerilla war against the Germans. The Kremlin had been taken forcefully by the Germans on 12 December, and Joseph Stalin, who refuse to leave the city and was in the Kremlin when it fell, was killed in the midst of the battle.

No one knew who killed him, but I know better.

On 11 December, Sparky and I killed the original guards and disguised as his guards using Changeling Magic. We fooled Stalin and he bought it, it was only a matter of time since the German's arrival. When the Germans' arrived, we went into his room and killed him at point black range with our MG42s. Then we change into plants using Changeling magic and waited for the Germans to go away and that was the time we fled the scene via flying out of the Kremlin.

It was done so subtly that we make sure that no one could trace it back to us. I mean we are using Changeling magic after all.


On 20 December 1941, General Guderian declared the Battle of Moscow won. This caused the Bombing runs to stop and the suppiles run to continue. It was a hard fought battle, at least from what I have heard from German troops.

The battle took around 1,000,000 Russians and 400,000 Germans Casualties. This the cost to pay for Operation Typhoon to succeed.

Author's Note:

1) I gave up typing so that is why there is so less action scenes.:flutterrage: 2) I replace certain chapters to make the timeline fit 3) Twilight and Sparky has Changeling Magic at such a young age? :pinkiegasp:(Yes, it is true):pinkiecrazy:
4) Please leave positive or negative comments so that I can improve the story for you guys
That is all, General Sparky out