• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 1,763 Views, 78 Comments

Ponies in war - General Sparky



Ponies are meant to be thought that war was never going to happen, little that they know that the opposite is actually true. How would they react to the horrors of war? And could they even make it back to Equestria?

  • ...
20
 78
 1,763

First Battle of Singapore (part 4)-Dogfight

7 February 1942, ESS Independence, en route to Pearl Habour, Perpective: Sparky

Sailing back to Pearl Harbour, it was uneventful. Most of the events are normal. It was uneventful until Derpy appeared out of nowhere and requested to land on the flight deck.

i agreed to her landing and she landed on the flight deck not soon after. I was about to go down to the flight deck to ask her what has happened when Derpy came in to the command post.

Her body was full of sweat and her face was full of panic. She asked frantically, "Where's Sparky?"

"I'm here. why do you need to see me for?" I asked with concern.

Derpy started to hyperventilate and stood there for awhile to rest (I presume).

After she was done 'resting', she spoke panickedly, "The Allied forces has started to build a repilca of this ship."

"Are you sure?" I asked, not believing what Derpy has said.

"I think so." Derpy repiled and a low voice.

I decided to take a moment to process what she said.

She just said that Allied forces are building a repilca of this ship, why are you suspecting her?

She is Derpy and I have no idea where she got that info. Probably from a nightmare of sorts.

Good point, then ask her where she got the info then.

"So em, Derpy, where did you get this info?" I asked.

"I got this info from em, em..." Derpy said, before she trailed off.

"From what?" I asked again in a loud voice.

"From, em, maybe it is better to not say where it came from." Derpy repiled, showing much hesitation.

"Ok, you are expecting me to believe that the allied forces are building a repilca of a battleship and carrier hybrid where they should be trying to rebuild their own fleets, good one Derpy." I said sacastically.

Derpy raised her voice and tried to position both of her derped eyes to face mine, "I am not Joking! They really are trying to recreate this ship!"

I started laughing immediately.

Derpy started to reposition her eyes to its previous position and started to scratch her head and asked, "Why are you laughing?"

"Its just, it's just.... that you look so Derpy and I have never seen somepony that has done that for a very long time." I repiled, before I continued laughing.

Everypony else in the room started to laugh as well.

Derpy still stood there, trying to process what I just said. When she understood what I meant, she started to bow her head, and started to sadly say, "Yeah, I'm that Derpy."

With that, she turn around and walked out of the command post.

We continued laughing, not realising that Derpy has gone away.

When we finally stop laughing, only then we realise that Derpy is gone.


Perpective: Derpy

I started to cry softly as I went down the stairs. Which, by the way, has no reason of being there. There was an elevator right besides the stairs. Maybe I had become used to walking up and down the stairs. Ponies usually don't use stairs, most of the troops usually take the elevator to report things to Sparky or Twilight, unless it was during battle conditions. During battle conditions, most ponies use the comms to report things to Sparky or Twilight.

I was the only pony to use the stairs often. Strange world huh?My mind asked no pony in particular.

As I slowly went down the stairs, I started to remember those 'fun' times I had with Sparky and Twilight.

While I was stuck in my thoughts, I continued walking down the stairs till I reached the flight deck. I continued to walk through the flight deck while staying in my thoughts.

"Hey, Derpy!" a voice called.

It made me came out of my thought bubble and surprised me. I instantly crossed my front and back hooves and slipped forward.

"Oops, sorry if I startled you, Derpy." A female voice said.

"It's ok, so why are you here?" I said, still trying to get up.

"Just here to see you, why you ask?"

"Nothing in particular." I said, finalling facing the mare.

As I face the mare, I noticed something weird about her.

So I asked her, "If I want you to go on flight with me would you do it?"

"Sure." She said happily.

"Good, let's go. Now." I said, emphasing on the last word.

"Wait what? Now? But I am not ready..."

"You are, just trust me and you will be fine," I said, trying to calm this mare.

"But won't they realise that you are suddenly gone? and..and," She asked concernly.

"Don't worry, they probably won't realise I'm gone." I said confidently.

"But..but..but how?"

"I'll be right back." I said, before running off towards the 8.8cm flak gun located near the command building.

"Hey Derpy, what brings you here?" Bon Bon asked.

"I just need you gals to cover for me while I'm gone."

"Wait what? Where are you going?" Bon Bon asked concernly.

"I will be going somewhere top secret, if anypony asks for me, tell them I am on a recon mission. You got it?" I asked.

"Sure, will you be back by sunset?" Bon Bon asked.

"I will." I answered confidently.

"Good, see you later."

"Yah, see you later." I said, before running off to that mare.

"Ok, that is settled, is there anything esle?" I asked.

"But I am an earth pony, I can't fly." She said, pointing her right front hoof to her back, showing me that she has no wings.

"It's alright, you can use mine. Just hop on my back." I said, while pointing my front right hoof to my back.

"But..but.." She repiled, at a lost for words.

I sighed and started to get closer to her. I continued to walk closer to her until I am directly in front of her. I bowed down, and said," Sit on my back and I promise you I won't let go, unless you let go of me."

"Well, here goes nothing." She said, walking to my right and then climbing on my back. She use her front hooves to grab my neck and put her back hooves just right in front of my wings.

"Prepare yourself." I said, before expanding my wings and started to fly upwards.

The Mare sitting on my back was clinging to me for her life. She almost kill me when she use more force to grab my neck, making me almost choke and become out of breath. I managed to use my front hooves to make her release her holding on me and it almost cause me to drop her in mid flight. Luckily, she instead grab my front hooves in time, before anything esle could happen.

I stop flying upward when I was around 400 metres above above the carrier. I started to flying horizontaly towards Singapore island.

"You can stop acting now." I said, tilting that my head to face her.

"What do you mean I'm acting? I ensure you that I'm not acting anything." She said, trying to deny the truth.

"You are of course not acting, because you are Rain, aren't you?" I asked, raising my volume and turning away from her.

"What do you mean I am rain? I have no idea what you are talking about." She said, still in denial of her true identity.

"But you do and you are 'thrid in command of all Equestrian forces' and 'second in command of all changelings forces'." I said, forcing Rain to reveal herself.

"Fine, you got me." Rain said. In a flash of green light light, she revealed her black colour body with wings and a horn. Her wings, horn and her hooves were filled with holes. She was wearing no armor. I smiled.

"So, how did you know I was that Mare?" Rain asked curiously.

"It was simple, I have never seen that mare before on the carrier, it was pretty eazy to work from there." I answered.

"Ok, but back to serious business, have you told Sparky or Twilight about it?"

"I have told Sparky, but he not only not believed me, he made fun of me." I said, starting to have tears in my eyes.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have counted on you for this job." Rain said, starting to lower her head in sadness.

I have no idea what got over me and I started to cry softly, not wanting Rain to hear.

"Maybe they need evidence to believe that the Allied forces is building such a weapon." Rain said, thinking hard on the subject.

I heard Rain and nodded and not uttering a word.

"Derpy, are you crying?" Rain asked concernly.

I gave Rain a quick nod turn slightly to face rain and nodded.

"Why are you crying? You did nothing wrong." Rain said, in a attempt to lift my sprits.

"I am Derpy, don't you get it, I am the most idiotic pony in the military." I repiled in a mixture of anger and sadness.

"No you are not. You follows orders and that is what makes a good soldier, isn't it?" Rain asked.

"I am a good solidier, but that dosen't mean I am a good military pony." I said, thinking about how I managed to enter the military.

"What do you mean?" Rain asked curiously.

"I mean would you accept a soldier who shoots badly, performs badly in hoof to hoof combat, not knowing how to lead troops in battle, fails in first-aid, fails in technical handling and only knows how to follow orders!" I said, in the mixture of sadness and anger.

Rain sat there and stared into space, not believing a word that I just said.

"But you are a good pony, you helped deliver messages in times of battle." Rain said, trying to change my mood.

"And that is all I can do, anything esle I can't." I said sadly.

Rain sat there, processing what I just said. I turn and look at Rain before I continued, "I am not worth the guns the Germans installed on me." I said, revealing a HMG near my tail and two MG42s on my wings.

Rain sat there, surprised that I have three guns on myself. "So, you can control those guns right?" Rain asked curiously.

"Yes, but I don't want to use or show my friends that I am armed." I said sadly, turn my head and looking downwards to the open sea.

Rain smiled and asked, "Can you fire a few rounds, please?"

"Sure." I said in a high pitch voice. I started to dive down to around 100 metres from sea level and open fire. The fast rate of fire of the MG42s meant that ammo was emptied quickly. I got out 500 rounds from the MG42s before the ammo belt was emptied. I restarted my climb until I was 400 meters from sea level.

"Wow! That was amazing." Rain said, amazed by my action.

"You really think so?" I asked timidly.

"Really, I can't think of ponies back in Equestria doing that." Rain repiled.

"Oh, but I'm not the only pony that could do that, Sparky, Twilight and Pinkie Pie can do what I did just now." I said.

"Really? Sparky and Twilight never told me that." Rain said.

"Maybe that is for the best, I mean, you don't want ponies to know that your commander can do that." I said.

"Yeah." Rain said, imagining about what ponies/changelings would react if she could do it as well.

I smiled, thinking how would ponies react if they knew a derped mare has a gun that only she could control.

We were so involved in our thoughts that we didn't realise that we were over Malaya's airspace. The Japanese Ground Based Air Defence (GBAD) started to spew shells and bullets into the air around us. Rain was the first one to get out of her thoughts and started to realise what was happening. Rain started to try to snap me out of my thoughts . Rain grab my neck and squeeze it enough so that I will feel hard to breathe but not enough to kill me. I immediately snapped out of my thoughts.

I started to dive straight down to the forest but did not climb up. I stayed there and started to take out my cloak.

"Why did you land?" Rain asked.

"To put on this cloak, this way the Japanese will not shoot me down when I go back up into the air." I paused as I remembered I have a passenger.

"But you, they will see you on my back. I don't have two cloaks, do you have any ideas?" I said.

"No." Rain said sadly.

"Never mind, I want you to wear the cloak. I will try to evade those Anti-air fires." I said confidently.

"But you need it more than I do." Rain said.

"No, Wait, change back to an Earth pony first, then wear the cloak." I said, thinking about Rain's safety over mine.

"Fine." Rain said defiantly. With a flash of green light, Rain change from a changeling to a Earth pony. Rain started to put on the cloak and turned invisible. Due to the fact that it was done myself, I could kind of control it. I can determine who get to see me while wearing it and also who can wear it and manage to stay invisible. I also know where the pony wearing it is, despite the pony being invisible to everyone esle.

I started to bow down, signalling for Rain to get on me.

I felt her sat on me and I started to take off. Before I even hit 300 meters above sea level, shells started to explode to light up the air behind me.


Perpective: Japanese, when Derpy just entered Malaya's airspace

"Sir, we got an aircraft incoming from our northwest sector!" A Japanese radar operator reported.

Before his Commanding Officer said his orders, the radar operator said, "Sir, it is the same pony that shot down our two zeros yesterday!"

"Good, launch all fighters available to intercept them and get all GBAD firing!" His commanding officer ordered.

"Yes, Sir!" the radio operator repiled, before moving back to the communication set and relayed the command to all Japanese forces in Malaya.

When the Japanese Air force recieved the order, 10 Zero-class figthers were scrambled and launched into the air. The GBAD team were alerted and started to fill the sky with lead and shells. Ground forces were also issued with the order to shoot down the incoming pony by any means. This meant that Japanese artilery and armor would try to elevate thier barrel to the highest elevation possible and try to shoot down the incoming pony.

After some time, the pony was seen flying upwards towards cloud cover, anti air guns quickly loaded in shells in an attempt to shoot down the pony, but failed and the pony managed to hide behind cloud cover. Figthers in the air was ordered to enter cloud cover to shoot the pony down.


Perpective: Derpy

As I went into cloud cover, Rain yelled, "Fighters incoming!"

"What? Are you sure?" I asked, surprised at the fact that there was fighters in the air.

"Yes, and there is about ten of them!" Rain yelled panickally.

"Damn it, we can't survive a head to head dogfight, I try to shake them." I said, analyzing the situation that we are in.

"Hang on," I said, as I started to dive down towards sea level. I stop my dive when I was around two or three meters from the sea. But the Japanese pilots did not give up, they also dive down and started to fire their nose gun. I heard the the firing of those guns but I tried to keep my mind out of it and instead pay attension to my speed and to maintain the distance from sea level.

Due to the fact that my position was close to the shore, coastal artilery started to fire at me. Those shells made a huge impact on the water and the splash coming from a shell enough to disrupt my vision and probably made me lose my ability of flight by wetting my wings.

"What are you doing? Aren't we suppose to be trying to shake them off? We are not only not shaking them off, but you made us close to sea level. How are we going to survive this?" Rain said, questioning every move I made.

"Look, so long as those figthers is on me, I could maybe make them crash into the water when I climb back up to cloud cover." I yelled, as bullets and shells was getting closer to hit me.

Despite the fact that the fighters are gaining on me, I still did not climb back to cloud cover. I took as gamble and took a slow dive so that I was around 1 meter above sea level.

"Why are we getting closer to sea level?" Rain asked.

"We are at torpedo bombing level, so long as we don't get hit by those anti-air fire, we will be fine." I repiled. Just as I finished my sentence, the fighters pulled out from their dive as they are getting too close to sea level.

"I got an idea, why not we capture one of those Zeros fighters in mid-air." Rain suggested.

"What do you mean?" I asked, not understanding what Rain is suggesting.

"I am saying that you fly close to a Zero fighter and I will jump on the fighter wings, make my way to the cockpit, eliminate the pilot and take control of the Zero fighter." Rain explained.

"Won't that increase the risk of me getting shot?" I asked, analyzing the battle plan.

"It's a risk that we must take to win this dogfight, unless you have a better idea." Rain said.

"Fine, I will take this risk, if you fail, just jump off the wing, I will catch you." I said, fearing that the plan won't work. With that, I started my climb towards the closest figther to us. I managed to get myself towards the right side of the fighter and Rain got off me and boarded the fighter. Rain, still invisible, started to slowly make her way toward the pilot seat. But due to the sound she created when she boarded the fighter, the pilot mistook it as the fighter was being shot and started to do maneuver to 'dodge' the 'bullets' that I was 'firing'. The pilot was so concentrated on his controls that he did not see me flying right beside the fighters wings.

As the fighter started to do maneuver, I started my dive back down towards the sea.


Perpective: Rain

As the fighter started maneuvering, other fighters in the air started to quit thier climb and force their fighters to do a quick dive and fired a second burst of MG fire on Derpy.

I hope she is ok. While the other fighters turn their attension towards Derpy, I started my move towards the cockpit. As I got closer, the fighter suddenly turn around and started to dive down to engage Derpy.

I searched the cloak that I'm wearing to see if Derpy mistakely put a weapon in it. To my complete surprise, the cloak stores 1 MG42, 1 MP40(a german sub machine gun used in WW2) and belts of ammo- supposely for the guns attached to Derpy. I took the MP40 with my front hooves and fired into the cockpit. By shooting the cockpit, the pilot in the cockpit was dead and the fighter plane started to go out of control.

I could either try my luck and enter the cockpit and use it against other Japanese fighters or I could abandon my position and freefall towards the sea and hope Derpy will catch me. I chose to abandon the plane and jump out of my position. As I was free falling, I saw Derpy, coming out of nowhere, rushing into position to catch me.

I a blink of an eye, I manage to land safely on Derpy's back. Derpy will have to answer a lot of questions later, I thought.


Perpective: Derpy, when she just left the fighter Rain was on

My actions have lead a couple of Zero fighters to do a quick dive to engage me.

MG bullets started to appear surprisingly behind me. I started to do a rapid climb to distract the Zero fighters. I zoomed past the Zero fighters quickly. The Zero fighters were stunned at my rapid climb and started to do thier own climb.

I was still in the middle of my climb before I somehow sensed that Rain was falling off from an aircraft.

I turned my body to do a dive. The fighters saw this and follow suit.

As I did my dive, I saw Rain free falling to her death. I folded my wings slowly to increase speed. As I dive downwards, I caught Rain in mid flight and almost crashed into the water below. In a blink of an eye, anti-air shells started to lit the sky. I started to do a quick climb to distract Japanese Anti-air guns, or so I thought. Several Zero fighters that was on my tail started to explod due to Anti-air fire.

I looked downwards while climbing and saw that we were above Singapore island. I made a smile on my face and yelled in excitement, "We are here, Rain, we are finally here!"

"Yay..." Rain said, before lying on my body, sleeping.

I looked at the condition of Rain and started to dive down. As I started to do my slow dive, I saw a couple of Japanese Zeroes turning tail and went back into Malaya's airspace. I gave a sigh of relieved as the Anti-air barrage come to a stop.

With no Anti-air barrage, I continued my descend. Despite trying my best not to wake up rain, she woke up in mid air. "Derpy, where am I?" Rain asked.

"You are approaching Habourfront, my dear." I repiled in a soft and gentle voice.

"Can you land there?" Rain asked, pointing his front right hoof at a wooden warhouse on Habourfront and starting to take of the cloak I gave her just now.

"Sure." I repiled.

As I come down to land, I saw a crowd gathering around me. The crowd has a mixture of ponies and some British troops. "Could you put me down please?" Rain asked.

"Sure." I repiled, lowering my body to let Rain get off me.

"Thanks." she said, smiling at me.

"You're welcome." I repiled.

"What a nice mare you have there." A British Private in the crowd said.

Rain and I blushed and stood there for a moment, until I remembered something.

"Rain, can I speak to you in private?" I asked, still blushing from the British Private's comment.

"Sure." Rain repiled, who is also still blushing.

Rain and I had to force our way out of the crowd and started to hear some murmers from the crowd but I ignored them.

Rain and I make our way into the empty and dark warehouse. Inside the empty and dark warehouse, I started to reveal what I wanted to say.

We looked around to make sure no one was around. We stopped our blushing and started to get serious.

To be extra safe, Rain used her changeling magic to build a sound proof bubble.

"Is this about stealing the report from the British?" Rain asked.

"Yes, if you do not mind, could you steal it for me, please?" I asked, as I gave Rain huge puppy eyes from my Derped eyes. Despite I made puppy eyes with derped eyes, they were still pretty adorable.

Rain gave a smile. But that smile suddenly turned into one of corncern. "Are you okay Derpy?" Rain asked concernly.

I cut my puppy eyes and asked, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, look at your back, it's stained with blood!" Rain shouted with a mixture of concern and surprised.

I turned my head and looked at my wings. I was horrified at the sight I saw. I was also surprised.

Up until now, those blood stains weren't there. I stared at my wings as I tried to remember how did I got hit.

Despite my best efforts, i just couldn't remember. I was still stuck in my thoughts until I started to feel pain in my wing area.

Rain was looking at me with concern, but did not say a word as he watches me. I started to feel the pain of around 2-3 shells and 40-70 bullets hitting my wings. The amount of pain overwhelms me and I started to feel dissy. I started to watch from the left to the right before I fell into the ground and my eyes closed as I feel my life going away from me.

The last thing I remember was seeing Rain approaching me with a concerned look.


Perpective: Rain

I saw Derpy walking left and right and putting one of her hooves on her head before she fell down towards the floor.

I rushed towards her immediately. Derpy, you must not die here. I used my horn to light up the warehouse.

I dropped my shield and looked around for a first aid kit. I sarted to panick and started to run around the empty warehouse.

Suddenly, I feel pain in my wings as well. Though the pain is much lesser as compared to Derpy's, I feel like I have been hit by 30-40 bullets and 1-2 shells.

I started to feel dizzy and the warehouse started to turn dark. In a instance, my eyes closed and I fell to the floor too. IAs my eyes closed, I also started to feel that my life was slowly going away from me.

--------------------------------------------------------End of Battle of Singapore (Part 4)---------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

1) After 3 weeks that is filled with school work and some other stuff, I bring you guys the 4th part to the First Battle of Singapore. 2) This was supposed to be about them stealing the report but than this dogfight took its place. (Sorry) 3) Should I let Derpy and Rain live? Post your thoughts in the comments section below. 4) I'm so sorry that I had to add some 'insulting Derpy' things in this chapter. 5) 'If I could choose, I rather go there to get the report to prove Sparky wrong than staying onboard that Battle carrier and doing nothing'- Derpy 6) I just named a Battleship and Aircraft Carrier hybrid as Battlecarrier-class ships
7) Please leave constructive comments below so that I could improve the story for you guys.
That is all, General Sparky out.