• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 1,764 Views, 78 Comments

Ponies in war - General Sparky



Ponies are meant to be thought that war was never going to happen, little that they know that the opposite is actually true. How would they react to the horrors of war? And could they even make it back to Equestria?

  • ...
20
 78
 1,764

First Battle of Singapore (part 3)-Self reflections

6 February 1942, Fort Canning HQ, Perpective: Percival

Looking at the report given by Rain, I don't know how I should feel.
The report goes as follows:

Dear Percival,
I regret to inform you that the carrier is sunk. Suprisingly, the enemy carrier is Equestrain. We thought it will let us have our way, but we were wrong. I never should have engage the Equestrian Carrier, but what is done is done. The Equestrian carrier is called ESS Independence. If I am not wrong, ESS Independence has no plans to do Singapore any harm. Last I saw it, It was sailing back to Pearl Habour Base. I suggest the British Army stationed in Singapore to hold all offensive operation. Given current situation, it will cause a serious decrease in morale within British troops. Should the offensive be lauched, losing men in the offensive may cause the men to lose hope altogether and the may cause the troops to give up fighthing.
P.S I will be coming to Fort Canning HQ at 2p.m to meet you.
Yours sincerely, Rain

I stood there, looking at the clock. It was 8a.m. I still had some things to do, which included *gulp* telling the troops the sinking of a future class British Carrier.


Perpective: Rain

I had just came back from shore from a make shift boat when I wrote that letter. When I got back to the shore, I told the Bristish troops about the sinking of the carrier. The troops appears to sympathise with my ponies and some of the British troops also went to comfort some of my ponies.

Most of my troops has went back to the barracks after landing back in Singapore. For me, I decided to take a walk through the city and meet Percival later.

As I was walking through the city, I saw many civilians just looking at me, they look scared and terrified, it is probably the results of the Japanese artillery bombardment.

Seeing these civilians makes me cry for what I am doing. My 'job' requires me to kill these innocent lives if need be. These innocent civilians makes me remember how it was like, before I met Sparky or Twilight.

To remember those days of pure naivety somehow made me to sing this song while I was walking throught the city.

To think that being third in command of all Equestrian Armed forces and somewhat second in command of all Changelings armed forces. What am I doing?

I continued walking through the town, still deep in thoughts. I didn't even notice that a mare was hovering above me.

I keep walking until she said, "Em..., How far are you going to go?"

I stopped walking suddenly and look around me and asked franctically, "Who's there, I got em, nothing but I not afraid of you whoever you are."

"Are you alright, Rainy?" Derpy asked, flying down towards the pavement.

"Oh, it's just you." I paused, when a thought entered my mind, "Aren't you supposed to be back at ESS Independence?"

"Well, I have my methods and it's not like I've never done this before." Derpy said, smiling at me.

"But won't your dissapearence raise suspicions?" I asked.

"They won't suspect a thing because I am weird in my own special way, I guess.." Derpy started out confidently and lower her voice towards the end.

"Ok, so why would you risk that just to see me?" I asked.

"Because you need help." Derpy replied.

"I don't need your help!" I yelled, trying to hide my true emotions.

"Oh, yes you do." Derpy said, moving closer to me.

"Fine, you got me, now how are you going to help me?" I asked.

Derpy tilted her head and said, "I know, get on my back." Derpy said, pointing her hoof towards her back, signaling me to get on it.

"You want me to do that." I said, moving backwards as I said that.

"Oh no you don't." Derpy said, before I felt her hooves grip me and put me on her back.

"How did you do that?" I asked, still shocked at what she just do.

"You don't need to know how, you just need to know that I have done it." Derpy said.

"What?! How does that make any sense?" I asked.

"It wasn't meant to make sense anyway." Derpy said, before she started laughing.

"Thanks, I guess..." I said, wondering why is she laughing.

She stopped laughing and started to spread her wings out.

"Woah, what are you doing?" I asked.

"Preparing for flight, why?"

"Wait, you are telling me you are flying, but aren't you worried that the British or the Japanese will shoot you down?" I asked, worried for Derpy.

"See if those bullets or shells can hit me first." Derpy said confidently.

Derpy then took off before I could say anything esle. "Enjoying the tatse of flight?" Derpy asked.

"Yes, I guess?" I said, amazed by the time she took to get off from the ground to the air.

"Good, tell me what is troubling you? Derpy asked, as she is flying freely with no British anti-air shooting.

"It's just that I don't know what to do." I said, as tears started to appear on my cheek.

"I see." Derpy paused, thinking about what to say next. "Tell me, rain, What is your rank in the military?" Derpy asked.

"I am Third in command of all Equestrian Armed forces, why?" I said, not knowing what this has to do with 'helping me'.

"That is not your only rank. Now, tell me who are you really working for."

I sighed before saying, "I am second in command of all changeling forces."

"Good, now tell me who are you really." Derpy said, flying past the Singapore-Malaya Airspace.

"I am Rainy Shimmer, an earth pony working in the military and staying in Ponyville."

"Not bad, but tell me why do you want to work in the military." Derpy said, as she is flying over Japanese controlled Malaya.

"Because..because..." I stammered, not knowing what to say.

"Take your time dear." Derpy said.

"It is because I want to be stand beside Twilight and Sparky when Equestria went into a state of war since I was a little filly." I said.

"If that is your filly's dream, then why do you work for the changelings?" Derpy asked, turning her body to turn back to Singapore.

"It is because to protect Twilight and Sparky." I said, as Anti-aircraft guns lit up the bright morning sky.

Derpy started to do some weird maneuvers. She dive down real fast till she was within gun range of the troops below before rising back up to hide behind the thick cloud cove before repeating the maneuver again and again.

"What are you doing?" I asked, wondering why she is doing such a maneuver.

"Trust me, this will make ground troops confused about where I am, reducing our chances of getting hit by GBAD(Ground based Air Defence)." Derpy repiled.

Out of the bule, two Zero-class fighters were behind us and started firing their front Machine-guns (MGs). "Hang on." Derpy said, before tilting her body towards the left to move her body towards the left.

The two fighters were hot on our tail, and were behind us pretty quickly. "What do we do now, Derpy?" I asked panickally.

"Man my tail gun!" Derpy ordered.

"There is no tail gun!" I said, searching for a tail gun.

"There is now!" Derpy said, as a Heavy Machine gun (HMG) suddenly appeared in front of me.

I waste no time in pulling the trigger. I managed to down the two fighters by aiming and firing the HMG at one fighter first and then the next. The two fighters were downed rather quickly.

After the engagement, Derpy increased her speed and went straight back for Singapore island.

I was somewhat happy that we shot down the two fighters but Derpy was weeping softly for some reason.

Concerned about Derpy, I asked, "Are you alright, Derpy?"

"No!" She repiled still crying.

"Why are you crying?" I asked.

She stop crying temporarily and repiled, "I don't know, I just feel like it."

"You never change Derpy." I said, trying to cheer her up.

"Thanks, Rainy." She let out her final tears and started to smile.

"Feeling better?" I asked.

"Yeah." She said softly.

"That's good enough." I said.

"Stop talking about me, let's talk about you." Derpy said, trying to change the topic.

"What is there to talk about me?" I asked.

"Are you feeling better?" Derpy asked concernily.

"I am." I said.

"Than that's good to hear." Derpy said.

"If you don't mind me asking, how do you get your tail gun?" I asked.

"It was installed by the Germans, why you ask?" Derpy repiled softly.

"I'm sorry." I said, regretting that I have asked that question.

"It's ok, just don't tell anyone, please?" Derpy said, in a high pitched voice and started to hide her tail gun.

"Sure, and thank you Derpy," I paused and continued, "for everything."

"You are welcomed." Derpy said as she landed right outside Fort Canning HQ.

"Bye, Derpy." I said.

"Bye." Derpy said, before flying away till she is out of sight.

When she is out of sight, I saw a group of British troops staring at me.

"Nice Mare you got there," one of the British corporal joked.

I blushed, I tried to get out of sight before Percival came.

"Where do you think you're going?" Percival asked.

"Oh, is it 2 o'clock already?" I asked and looked around to find a clock or something like that.

"Yes, you called me to see you here in your report."

"Oh, I forgot the time, so let go back in to talk about some confidential things."

"Yeah, let's go in." Percival said, before moving back inside the underground Bunker.

I followed him down the stairs and almost trip on them, and then we passed through a series of doors that lead to the planning room.


Planning room

Percival and some other senior officers were in the planning room. When Percival and I entered, all the other officers keeps staring at me, and not at Percival. Weird

Soon, Percival and myself took our seats and started the meeting.

"I belive you guys know the current situation, based on what Rain has told me, some of you guys has not been telling me things truthfully." Percival said.

Some commanders started to fidgit in their seats while some looked clam and not worried.

"But I will let that matter slide for this once, so as to not lower the morale of troops." Percival said in a serious voice.

"Then why do you call us here?" a senior officer asked.

"I called you guys here because of what the Japanese are doing." Percival paused to make sure he has the attension of all the officers present.

"US high command has told me that this Japanese carrier has captured 3 carriers in its name. Not only that, this carrier has sunken a future class British Carrier."

Conversations started in between the officers present. I didn't really care about them, all I did was look at the picture of ESS Independence that Percival has put on the blackboard. My mind started to tell me that this isn't right, ESS Independence's Commanding Officers would have never leak the information, I have not leak it either, so who did?

"Silence!" Percival shouted, which caused all converstions in the room to end.

"Good, now that I have your attension, I gotten a report from High Command that the US fleet has planned an offensive in a place called Guadalcanal, this operation, called Operation WatchTower would begin this year, in early august and High Command wanted some of the stationed garrision at Singapore to participate Operation WatchTower." Percival said.
Map used for reference:

"I have made my decision, one of Major-General Gordon Bennett's brigades from the Australian 8th division and part of Major-General Merton Beckwith-Smith's British 18th Infantry division will leave Singapore on the 10th for training in Australia in preparation for Operation WatchTower, do you guys understand?"

"Yes, Sir!" echoed from the officers.

"But, if those frontline troops are leaving, who will take up the frontline positions?" I asked.

"Good question, the 1st Malaya Infantry Brigade from the south east will take over Bennett's positions and the Indian 12th Infantry Brigade will cover for Smith's troops." Percival said.

"Meeting adjourned, except for Bennett and Rain, all are dismissed." Percival said in a commanding tone.

"Yes, Sir!" With that, the officers emptied the room, leaving Percival, Bennett and myself in the room.

"Bennett, come with me, Rain, stay here for a while." Percival said. I gave a salute and let them be.

While they are gone, I went up to the black board, looking at ESS Independence.

I went back to the table, and discretly looked at the report provided by High Command.
The report was written as follows:

Dear Percival,
Allied High Command believed that the Japanese managed to create a super weapon, our spies has learned that this super weapon is none other than the carrier shown in the picture provided. It was last seen approaching your sector. Send the 'future class' British carrier to engage this ship. Ask its crew what is this ship capable of. Keep this top secret, we don't want Axis High Command know that we are trying to recreate their Super weapon to use it against them.
Signed, Admiral Fletcher

The report shock me, to think that we were not supposed to join this war in the first place. Oh, Sparky, what have you done? was the first thought that came to my mind. I closed the report and leave it as it is. Thoughts started to form in my head.

I must tell Sparky about this, but how? They don't trust you.

They don't trust me, but they trust Derpy.

You are mad to trust a wall-eyed pegasus

Well, as if you have any better ideas

Fine, do as you please.

Just as it finish, I saw Bennett angrily storm out of the room.

I was about to ask him what happened but he walked by so fast that I coudn't even ask.

Then, Percival came back and said, "Let him be."

"Do you mind telling me what is going on?" I asked cautiously.

"He has been transferred with his division for Operation WatchTower, so that is why he is so upset." Percival explained.

"Anyways, let's get back to you." Percival said, trying to change the subject.

"Sure." I said, trying to smile.

"So, how was the carrier sunk?"

I thought for a moment and repiled, "It was sunk by those 18 inch shells that this carrier has." I know I lied, but if they knew the actual length of those guns are 25 inches, soon, battleships will have 25 inches turrents.

"I see. So, you said this carrier was Equestrian, mind explaining why." He said.

"You see, this carrier has ponies onboard so I know it's Equestrian." I replied nervously.

"I see." Percival took in a moment to take in the information and asked, "If I am not wrong, you are 'Equestrian', aren't you?"

"Yes." I said softly.

"Good, that's all I need to know. You may leave now." He said in a commanding tone.

"Yes, Sir!" I said, saluted him before walking out of the bunker.


Outside the Bunker/ Fort Canning HQ,

As I walked outside, some of the British Guards started staring at me. It is almost like they are saying, "Look at you, you don't belong here."

My only thought was to fly out of the area as soon as possible but then I remembered I am an Earth pony, I don't have wings.

I sighed and continued walking until I hit something.

"Ouch!" I said, examining what I've knocked into.

"You must really look where are you going," A familar voice said.

"Oh, it's just you, Derpy. Shouldn't you have been back at Independence already?" I asked.

"Oh please, I'm Derpy, they won't suspect a thing." Derpy said confidently.

"But how did you manage to hide from british troops for around 1 hour?" I asked.

"I used a cloak that I made, so I am techincally invisible to anyone unless they get close enough." Derpy explained, pulling out the cloak.

I stood there speechless. Until I remembered something.

"Derpy, could you give me a lift back to Habourfront?" I asked.

"Sure!" Derpy repiled in a high pitched voice. Derpy started to bow down in front of me and said, "Get on."

I started to sit on Derpy and she took off. Soon, we reached HabourFront. I started to get off her before remembering something.

"Oh, Before I forgot, Derpy I need you to tell Sparky something." I said, signaling Derpy to get closer.

"What is it?" Derpy asked.

"The Allied forces are trying to build a replica of Twilight's Battleship and Carrier hybrid, tell them to watch their moves, for the Allied powers are actively trying to get more information about its designs." I said, seriously and softly, so that nopony except Derpy could hear the message.

"Got it. Anything else?" Derpy asked.

"Nothing esle." I replied.

"Good, see you soon, Rain." She said, before flying upwards till she is out of sight.

"Bye, Derpy." I said, before going back to my barracks.


Perpective: Japanese

"Sir! We got a report from our pilots that a pegasus and an earth pony has shot down two Zero-class fighters." A private reported.

"Oh really?" the Japanese commanding officer asked.

"Yes, Sir, the pilots reported that the earth pony used the pegasi's tail Heavy Machine Gun to shoot them down." The private reported.


"It does seem suspicious, I will tell Admiral Yamamoto about it. But for now, tell the pilots to keep it a secret, if they refuse, consider it an act of treason." the Japanese commander said in a commanding voice.

"Yes, Sir!" With that, the private went back to his post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------End of Battle of Singapore (Part 3)---------------------------------------------------------


Historical Facts:

Bennett's 8th Australian Division was responsible for the defense of the North-Western part of Singapore. His division was the only line of defense against the first wave of Japanese troops when the Japanese landed on the 7th of February. Due to lack of reinforcements and thinly spread defensive lines, the Japanese managed to secure the area within the second day of the battle.

Smith's 18th Infantry division was defending the North-Eastern part of Singapore. This division will later be transferred to fight the main Japanese invasion in the NorthWest of Singapore island.

Both of these divisions would fall to the Japanese when Percival agreed to surrender all Allied forces in Singapore.

The Battle may have not been a turning point in the war, but it will be the largest surrender of British-led forces in British military history. Around 120,000 Allied troops will fall to the Japanese Imperial Army due to Percival's decision.

Bennett and Percival techincally hate each other, so when Bennett was sent away to fight in Operation WatchTower, Bennett gotten upset.


The Battle of Guadalcanal took place on 8th August 1942 to 9 February 1943. It was a turning point in the Pacific war. It was code-named Operation WatchTower.

The battle of Guadalcanal was a attack led by US troops but consisted some British and Australian troops. Though I have no Idea when they actually planned the Assault, I included some British troops from Singapore because, why not?

Author's Note:

1) I intended this to be the conculsion of this battle but inspiration hit me and the 'Rain and Derpy' scene was born. 2) Some of thie Historical facts are true and some are false. Some infomation are based on educated guess, so sorry about that. 3) I will edit the trailers of perious chapters so that the trailers are accurate to the story. 4) "If they think a Battleship and Aircraft Carrier hybrid is a superweapon, then what does the Atomic Bomb counts as?" -General Sparky (Author).
5) Please leave positive or Negative Comments so that I improve the story for you guys
That is all, General Sparky out.