• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 2,203 Views, 11 Comments

Warhammer 40k:Night Guards Stallion - chaoswarboss0201



Employer: Moon Princess seeking help. Employee: A squad of dead Space Marine given a second chance.

  • ...
3
 11
 2,203

Night Job

Chapter 2: Night job

"Cadance? As in Mi Amore Cadenza?" Princess Luna asked, the mug of coffee half-levitated toward her mouth. "Art thou certain, Talos?"

They were in the middle of their weekly meeting to handle all matters of the newly-reestablished Night Court. While Princess Celestia's Day Court deals with open matters of public like economy and public welfare as well as settle civil disagreements, Luna's Night Court deals with matters that are more discreet and shadowy in nature but no less important for the stability of Equestria like security and intelligence. The four stallions currently sitting with Luna around a polished marbled table are Luna's Night Commander her closest advisors and bodyguards, the core of her recently- built and Night Guards. Their duty is one carried out in shadows, preventing any and all threat to Equestria from both inside and outside. Each Night Commander has a day job that allows them to observe and monitors nearly all aspects of intelligence concerning Cantelot and all of Equestria.

"I am certain, your highness. I was perusing her and her immediate family's files before this meeting to determine a reason for such a course of action." The dark blue stallion answered. The doctor, like the rest of his brothers, is wearing the ceremonial armor of the Night Guards, which essentially is a darker palette of the Royal Guards armor, with half helmets, saddle-plates and grey steel horse-shoes.

"Anything of note?" Mercutian asked. The bureaucrat sat next to a thick stack of files that he brought to the meeting, occasionally stroking their spines as he listened to Talos.

"Nothing much, from what I gathered." Talos levitated the opened cream-colored file and read from it.

"Mi Amore Cadenza, common alias "Cadance", born twenty three years ago to Lord Mi Fratello and Lady Fiorentina, both distant cousins to the royal Princesses and each other. She is the first Alicorn born in the recent five hundres years. Her parents passed away due to illnesses when she was five and she became a ward of the Princess Celestia since then. Graduated from Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorn when she was seventeen at first place in her whole cohort. Her magical power is related to affection and emotions. Apparently, she can reignite love and affection in pony couples or catalyze mutual romantic interest into full attractions. "

"So she is like a magical matchmaker?" Uzas asked as he munched down on a blueberry cupcake before fishing another one from the snack plate.

"Something of that sort I believe." Mercutian commented.

"Do continue, Talos, we have not maintained knowledge of the royal family very well since our return." Luna said, motioning for the stallion to continue before sipping her coffee.

"Princess Mi Amore Cadenza is currently in a relationship. Her colt-friend is a Junior-Captain Shining Armor, currently serving with the Canterlot Royal Guard." Talos continued before Xarl interrupted him.

"Shining Armor?" Xarl and Mercutian asked, their eye-brows rose in surprise when they realized they have spoken at the same time.

"You know him?" Uzas asked.

"I know him all right. He is amongst the first group of pony that I taught close combat when I start teaching at the Academy. The colt is the only one amongst that group who lasted more than five minutes when sparring with me." Xarl replied, tapping his hoof on the table.

"Quite an accomplishment I'm sure." Talos said. "How about you? Mercutian? Anything to say about this young stallion?"

"I was waiting to bring up the next item on the schedule, but since you ask, very well." Mercutian's horn glowed and the set of files next to him floated onto the table.

"As you know, Captain-General Silver Lance is retiring next week and Princess Celestia is in the process of choosing his successor. These are the list of candidates for the positions. All are Royal Guards Junior-Captain." The bone-white stallion paused, letting the information sink in.

"Shining Armor is one of the candidates?" Xarl asked. "I heard he's quite popular with the rank and file amongst the guards. The colt would make a fine choice if he could be more aggressive". He added, eyes gleaming proudly.

"Yes, the reason I bring this up is because some nobles have been lobbying for their preferred candidates to receive the position. While we may trust Princess Celestia and Luna to be fair and impartial, this decision, however, is not made by them alone. That is why there is a silent war in the Palace now for the nobles' vote as well as the votes from every unit's leader amongst the Royal Guards themselves."

"What is Shining Armor's chance in all of this?" Luna said, clearly interested.

"Are you supporting him ,Princess?" Uzas asked.

"We do not yet know, Uzas. He seems like a competent officer. Who are the other candidates for the position of Captain-General?" Luna replied.

"Lieutenant Sky Fox and Lieutenant Jet Blue. Both are minor nobles backed by influential nobles amongst the Canterlot nobility. Neither seems to have strong support from the rank and file beyond their own unit though. I would say this is quite an even race."

"I didn't teach either of those. They must have graduated before I started at the Academy." Xarl commented.

"A fact that will be to Shining Armor's advantage, We are sure." Luna said. "They would not possess the skill and reflexes that you have drilled into your student."

"The colt better remember all those drilling sessions and tactical practices I gave. Or I will beat him to a pulp myself." Xarl growled.

"Thou seems quiet today, Talos." The princess of the Night turn to the doctor, finding him looking at one of the file on Shining Armor that Mercutian brought.

"Anything interesting in those files?" Uzas asked.

"I'm still looking." Talos answered as he continued to browse through Shining Armor's family file before coming across a family picture of the Lieutenant. In the picture, which was taken recently according to the time stamp, Shining Armor, a white stallion with blue mane and a shield with stellar emblem for a cutie mark, stood with his family. His parents, Night Light and Twilight Velvet, beamed proudly at their son, who is resplendent in the customized armor of a Royal Guard officer, standing next to them is a young lavender mare, with purple mane and a youthful and inquisitive look. Her cutie mark is that of a light purple six-pointed star with five smaller white stars surrounding it. Talos found his gaze lingered on the mare for longer than it should have. Somehow, the innocent curiosity he saw in those eyes appeal to him, reminding him of himself long ago in his old life, before he became what he is. The fact that the young mare is one of the wielders of the Elements of Harmony and princess Celestia's most faithful student, which is stated further beneath the page, escaped him as he looked up to answer Uzas' query.

"You spaced out for a bit there." Xarl asked, smirking.

"It's all right; I'm just wishing Cyrion was here. We could use him to build a solid psychological profile of all three candidates." Talos replied before sneaking another glance at the young mare and her name, which is written underneath. "Twilight Sparkle" he thought "I'll keep that name in mind."

"That we can." Mercutian said. "Come to think of it, he should be back and making his report tonight and we all know Cyrion is anything if not punctual. Do you reckon something happened to him?"

"Nah, Cyrion can take care of himself." Uzas laughed. "Maybe he got distracted by some mares somewhere. He'll be fine."

"Let us hope that thou art right, Uzas. Now onto the next item on our agenda. Uzas, how is thy progress with the Canterlot Militia?" Luna asked, looking out the large glass window towards the edge of the city of Canterlot, wondering where her best hunter is now.


This dream, again.

Dark, murky corridors of a cursed warship stretched on as he stalked towards the endless darkness. In his hand a short combat blade held in reverse, his clutch on it tightened with every step, every second that the craving went unfulfilled.

In every dream he hunted. In every dream he killed. In every dream he drank in the absolute terror of his prey before their life expired.

This dream will be no different.

He saw the prey, a small, silhouette that ran away from him, leaving behind a trail of fearful smell and fearful sounds. The feminine quality of it only serves to make the craving more urgent, more violent.

He followed the trail and eventually cornered the prey; strangely enough this prey is running on all four, like a little horse. Upon realizing there is no way to escape, it turned towards him, in a last effort to salvage some rudimentary dignity in its death. The hunter was raising the combat blade when his eyes met that of the prey. Midnight black pools met cyan orbs. The blade stopped its descent as the hunter find himself drawn to those eyes. There is no fear in those eyes, only a quiet stare of defiance, as if the small being is ordering him to stop. The hunter found himself complying with the stare, the craving mysteriously vanished, the combat blade dropping from heavy finger as he knelt down, his eyes never leaving the intense pair of cyan orbs.

His prey spoke, her voice soft and shy to the point of near-inaudible. But the hunter's enhance sense could make out the whispered words.

"Wake up … please." Was the last thing he heard before the whole dreamscape fade to black.

Scare Hunter opened his eyes, expecting pain, but found none. Years of training and martial instinct kicked in as he silently assess his current situation.

"Soft mattresses, a bed, wooden ceiling … a house, cottage maybe." The indigo stallion murmured as he tried to sit up. "My leg is sticking out, so the bed must be made for someone smaller than me, like a mare. A mare!" His train of thought was interrupted as memories of what happened before he passed out come flooding back.

Scare Hunter tried to sit up but a weight pressed on his mid-section was holding him down. Craning his neck to look, the stallion discovered that there is the mare he saved is sleeping half-draped over his body. Upon closer inspection, the warrior also realized one other thing.

She is a very pretty mare with thin, lithe body with balanced proportion; her coat is of a soft, creamy yellow. Her mane is a soft, grayish shade of rose. Even when she sleep, the young mare radiate innocence and kindness and Scare Hunter could smell the soft tang of concern, fear's less dangerous and less potent cousin, coming from her.

"Worry about me, no doubt." He murmured, torn between the urgency to stand up and make his way back to Canterlot and disturb such a beautiful scene or enjoy it a little more.

Checking his body and found all of his injuries healed, Scare Hunter decided

"In times like this, I really, really hate myself." He murmured before lightly touching the mare with his hoof.

"Just a gentle tap, I guess…" the stallion thought as his hoof touched the yellow mare's shoulder.

"EEEEEEEPPPPP!" The mare squeaked, jumped backward and fall to the ground in fright.

"It's all right. Don't be afraid, I mean you no harm.". Scare Hunter got out of the bed and approached the mare and tried to ignore the wave of fear that is flowing out of her, threatening to kick his body into overdrive.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. You got hurt because of me." The mare frantically whispered.

"I am fine now, thanks to your care." Scare Hunter lied, knowing full well that his enhanced physiology have repaired his body while he lost consciousness. "I did not quite have the pleasure of your name, Miss." He asked the young mare in front of him.

"Flut- Fluttershy, sir. " She said, her fear lessened and Scare Hunter felt relief washed over him.

"You can call me Hunter, while I would love tell you more about myself and know more about you, I am in an urgent need to get back to Canterlot. My employer is expecting me." The light indigo stallion said, walking towards the door of the cottage as Fluttershy followed.

"B-but your injuries…" The mare said, giving him a pleading look.

"Will not be much of a concern, I am a fast healer. I am sorry I could not repay your kindness right away, but I promise I will at the earliest opportunity." Scare Hunter replied, trying hard not to give in to those large cyan eyes of the mare.

He then flapped his wings, testing it. The muscle spasms have gone, Scare hunter feel the power coursing thought every muscle, every tendon. He hovered in the small courtyard filled with small animals, all of which are looking at him with wide eye awe.

"Good bye, Miss Fluttershy. I have a feeling that we will be seeing each other very soon." The stallion landed briefly, took one of Fluttershy's fore-hoof and placed a gentle kiss on the top of it, causing a blush to form on the mare's face before rising again wings flapping harder, bringing him higher and higher.

As Fluttershy watched the stallion fly away, she reflected upon her ordeal since the other night, her blush never fading. The tall stallion had rescued her from the timber wolves before losing consciousness. The yellow mare could not move him so she had to ask Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle to help her. The Stallion slept for a day and a night and Fluttershy never leave his side. For some strange reason, the stallion, Scare Hunter, evoke a warm feeling in the pit of her stomach. Even when he is sleeping and she is looking at him, the young mare feel safe, protected.

"Maybe I'm just feeling grateful to him for saving me." Fluttershy mused, the blush coming back at full force as she looked at his diminishing silhouette.

"But I hope we could meet again soon."


"Incoming!" a pegasus guard yelled a warning to the formation below.

"Square formation! Unicorns to the outside! Heavy weapon core and the rest in between! Ready shields on my command!" Junior-Captain Shining Armor called out as he moved into his position at the edge of the square his company is forming. Above them, a horde of flying opponents, a mixture of large and small shapes are closing on them, claws and hoof extended and intent on causing harm.

"SHIELDS!" He barked out and a translucent dome shimmered into existence, just as the first shadow slammed into it at high speed and dropped like a sack onto the ground. Several more met the same fate before the flying horde reared back and changed tactics. Instead of blindingly charged the square formation's magical shield, they took turn pounding on the translucent barrier, hoping to gradually weaken it enough to expose the ponies inside.

"Heavy weapon?" Shining Armor asked.

"Loaded and ready, Captain!" Sergeant Deadeye replied, aiming his tripod-mounted ballista at the sky as their opponents continued to slam themselves against the shield.

"Open fire!" came the order from the young unicorn captain and the four heavy weapon of Shining Armor's company open up with their first devastating salvo.

An avid student of balance defensive tactics, Junior-Captain Shining Armor make a point to utilize everything that could count as a force multiplier for his ponies against any opponent that they face, not that they face anything really threatening in their service of the Royal Princesses. To this end he is one of the few Junior-Captain of the Equestrian Royal Guard to make full use of the heavy-weaponries newly made from the Royal Armory. Shining Armor's heavy weapon squad, eight earth ponies and four unicorn are the backbone of many a defensive strategy favored by the young captain and they have never failed him and the Princess. From pushing back parasprite swarms in Fillidelphia to stopping diamond dog raid in Hoofington, they have never falter, never give up.

And they are not going to start now.

As the order was given, two ballistae, and two repeating crossbow opened up, filling the sky with metallic bolt that hit the flying crowd like a rainstorm. Shadowy shapes dropped to the ground outside the shield before blinking out of existence. But still, the shadows outnumber the company of pony by several times and they keep coming, throwing themselves at the pony's defense, unheeded of their own loss.

"Shield status?" Shining armor asked as he shot another magical bolt from his horn, knocking another shadow from the sky.

"Holding captain." Sergeant Stonerunner, his second-in-command, replied while reloading his crossbow.

"Good, keep firing and prepare to change shield." The guard captain said as the company continued to hold their position while the shadows continue their assault.

"Aye captain." Stonerunner replied and resume shooting his crossbow towards the swirling mass of shadow above them when the Pegasus scout yelled out.

"Incoming! By land! They are charging toward us!"

"Spear ready!" Shining Armor barked as he extended the spear strapped alongside his body to its full length while the outermost ponies of the formation do the same.

Above, the flying swarm is thinning; the shadowy masses disintegrate after being hit by projectiles. Larger targets lasted longer but accurate ballista bolt eventually disperse them. Now only a third of their original number remained. Knowing that, Shining Armor looked down towards the second wave of attacker and grinned.


An hour later:

"Shining Armor! What happened to you?" Cadence asked the armored stallion that walked into the Infirmary. Her colt-friend looked like he just went through a grinder. His armor is dented and charred in places and his white coat is riddled with small black spots, most likely burnt marks.

"Nothing really, I just finished a training exercise with my company. I figure I could drop by and see my mare-friend before going home." The young captain replied with a cheeky grin.

"But … but you looks injured!" The young nurse exclaimed.

"It's nothing, just mock magic fire. It's not painful, really." Shining Armor replied, blushing slightly as Cadence fussed over him before stealing a peck on her cheek. Then he felt her stiffened, turned around and immediately tried to stand straighter.

Standing behind him was a stallion. A dark blue unicorn with platinum white mane cropped into a neat crest. He was wearing a long white coat that covers most of his body, concealing his cutie mark. Shining Armor know this stallion.

"I'm sorry, Doctor, I didn't mean to disturb nurse Cadence." The young captain said, his voice low and apologetic.

"It's quite all right, Shining Armor. If you both have nothing to do, then I have no problems with you two meeting." Soul Healer replied, a ghost of a smile playing on his face.

"Thank you, Doctor." Cadence said, grateful of her boss' understanding.

"Cadence, can you get me the visiting log for the past three months from the file cabinet please?" Soul Healer asked the young nurse, his voice level and calm, matching the stoic demeanor of its owner.

"Yes, doctor." came the reply as the pearl pink mare turn to carry out the errand.

"And captain Shining Armor…" The doctor turned to the guard captain.

"Sir?" the stallion in question asked.

"I just gave her something to do." came the reply.

"I'm taking my leave then, doctor."

"Have a pleasant day, captain. By the way, impressive work in the exercise just now. Your company suffers the least injuries amongst all. A commendable effort on your part." Soul Healer commented

"Thank you, doctor." Shining Armor replied before turning and trot away.

"So that's Shining Armor?" A quite voice asked the doctor from behind just as the young stallion is gone from Soul Healer's sight.

"You are late, brother." The statement was spoken calmly but Scare Hunter could feel the disapproving note in it.

"I have made my report to Luna and leave my gears with Bullet for maintenance. Now I need you to look me over like usual." The indigo unicorn said, before asking. "So doctor, how are you?"


Later

"Changeling? In that number? This could prove troubling. And why did you not bring your armor with you?" The doctor said as he examined the bruising side of his friend.

"I didn't think I would need it." Came Scare Hunter's reply. The hunter is standing upright with his wings extended as he was examined by his friend.

"You are a vicious fighter, I know. But quantity has a quality of its own. And from your report, it seems that these changelings fight like the Great Devourer, with officers determining their moves and coordination." The dark blue stallion remarked as he applied healing ointment onto the underside of Scare Hunter's wings.

"Indeed, when I took out the officers, their coordination and cohesion seems to drop dramatically, enough for me to slip away." Thee indigo stallion replied, trying not to fidget.

"I see. These claw marks, Hunter, are not made by changeling's hoof." The doctor tapped a series of slashed scars on the other stallion's flank.

"Those are … uh… you know…" Hunter stammered.

"It's not like you to be at a loss for words, brother. What happened?" Soul Healer asked.

A pregnant silence followed.

"Well?" The doctor asked, unused to the sight of his battle-brother so flustered.

"What I tell you does not leave this room, Talos." Said the hunter, his voice low and hushed.

"As you wish, Cy." Replied the dark blue stallion, realizing the seriousness of his friend's voice. They never use each other's real name unless it's serious.

"I… I met a mare." Cyrion said, his tone hesitating and in his voice was an aspect that Talos never dreamed he hear from the hunter. His best friends sounds reserved, almost shy even..

"I'm listening." Talos raised an eyebrow in surprised. Of all the things he expected the other stallion to say, he never expected this one.

"I kinda saved her from a pack of timber wolves. Those marks are made by wolves' claws. " Said Cyrion hesitantly.

"You feed on her fear." Talos said. A statement of fact, not a question.

"Yes I did. But this is more than just fear. I saved her life, but my injuries needs time to heal and I blacked out. She watched over me this past night. " Cyrion continued. "Something draws me to her, Talos. I'm not sure it is just the fear or something else entirely."

"You are unsure of your own feeling?" Talos prompted.

"Maybe. But there is no denying that gentle, fragile allure coming from that mare. I want to see her again." Cyrion replied.

"You know, I'm quite surprised you confide this with me and not Mercutian. He has more experienced dealing with mares." Talos chuckled.

"Mercutian? Really?" Cyrion asked.

"He is the most exposed publicly amongst us five. According to him, few noblemare can resist his sophisticated charm." Talos replied as he put the jar of ointment away with a flick of his horn.

"That's the first time I ever heard of it." Cyrion said, shaking his head and smiling.

"You should have stayed in Canterlot more then." The doctor said as he took out a small syringe from his coat pocket and nonchalantly took a little blood from his friends.

"I'll think about it." The indigo Pegasus replied as he felt the pinprick of the needle without flinching.

"You do that. I'm giving you a week rest leave. Get yourself some R&R, you've earned it, brother." Said the dark blue unicorn as he separate the syringe of blood into three smaller test tubes.

"I will. Thanks, Doctor." the hunter said as he make his way out of the infirmary.

"A week leave huh?" he thought. "Maybe a trip to Ponyville is in order."

Author's Note:

The second chapter. Rest assured, I am gearing up for something more exciting.

Comments ( 2 )

1833720
Thank you so much for your opinion. I am currently working on the next chapter and would very much like your help in beta-ing it. Is there a way I can send you drafts?

I have to echo the problem with tense errors. There are a lot, at least a few in nearly every paragraph. My browser says you use the word "is" 52 times in chapter 2. If your story is in the past tense (and that's probably the better tense for it), the vast majority of those are wrong. Unless a character is using it in dialogue, they should all be "was." The other significant sources of grammar errors were nouns that should have been plural, but weren't.

Once those are fixed, the rest of the story is okay. I don't know anything about these characters (I assume you're borrowing them from a Black Library source), but I would suggest spending a little more time making them a little more distinct, a little more memorable. I feel like if you lined them up, I wouldn't be able to remember which is which. A trap I see you fall into is a compulsion to toss out a full physical description of every character and extra as soon as they appear. Just give me the relevant features when they come up. In my own story, it's not even relevant to mention the protagonist's cutie mark until the seventeenth chapter. So you can take it easy on the details for some of them, and let the readers fill in the blanks themselves.

I'm also feeling like the plot is missing some momentum. Right now, I'd be hard pressed to tell you what the main conflict of the story is right now. There's hints of conflicts to come, but none of them feel very immediate just yet. I feel like all this set-up and shipping business is going on while we wait for the real story to begin. A note on the shipping itself that I give to nearly everyone I see trying it: don't just do it for its own sake. Every sentence in a story should build characterization, reveal setting or backstory, or advance the plot forward. Romance should be no different. Think about it.

:trollestia: Ave Imperatrix Celestialis :trollestia:

Login or register to comment