• Published 8th Jul 2012
  • 2,090 Views, 275 Comments

The Invisible Brony Defense Force - SoullessDCLXVI



At BroNYCon 2013, an ancient power transforms, then sends a lot of MLP fans to Equestria.

  • ...
22
 275
 2,090

Overgrowth

"Okay, so it is possible, but highly unlikely, that we're all in Equestria. The Everfree forest to be exact, if fanfiction is to be any indication.." Overture, already seven feet tall, was given that extra height on the log. His voice carried beautifully. I guess that's to be expected when you sing that well. At the sound of someone actually saying 'Equestria' aloud people kinda started freaking. The more rational saying simply, 'well that's just not possible'. Some of those rational people said this while scratching their chins with hooves. The average of us were simply cheering mildly. However, the obsessed, ran from the group. More than likely in search of Ponyville, If indeed that's where we were. But there was no confirmation of that. It was nothing more than far fetched speculation by a bunch bronies and geeks that had just undergone a very strange event. But given said event, no one was really counting it out.

"Someone with speed, GRAB THOSE FOOLS!" yelled Overture, pointing towards the obsessed who were running away.

"Alright, time to try these babies out" I said, giving my wings a short extension and flap. Here's hoping they don't just look as awesome as I had imagined them, but they work as awesome as I had imagined. I gave a quick run and jump, extending my wings and flapping them. And to my mild surprise, they worked! Focusing on my targets I gain speed, flying through branches with acrobatic skill that would make Rainbow Dash.... laugh. Frankly I think I hit every freakin' tree branch in 'Everfree'. The cheetah boy I had seen earlier was right behind me and gaining. He pushed by easily tackling one of the obsessed to the ground. Becoming a green gorilla to keep him pinned. I grab the other one underneath his armpits and fly up. He crosses his arms and pouts. Bottom lip pursed. I fly him to the clearing we were in and settle him in front of Overture. Feet planted he again tries to run. Not actually wanting to chase him I clothesline him before he can get two feet. Overture looks at me quizzically "The other?"

"He's being held in place by green gorilla." I said. Overture looked at me with one large fuzzy white eyebrow raised

"Okaaay... anyway," he looked back at the crowd as the green gorilla lumbered back in, carrying what I could only describe as an Argonian. "No matter where we are, it's zombie apocalypse rules" That one jack-ass had to speak again "What's that mean?" there was an audible moan from pretty much everybody. "It means, stay in a group. Do not go out on your own. Bring a partner to go to the bathroom, that kind of thing."

"I ain't doin' that. Nuh uh, nigga. No way."

"Can I kill him?" I asked no one in particular, far louder than I thought. Everyone was staring at me. Then someone said, "If you don't I will. Ever since I got here all I can think of is blood." Looking for the source of the question the crowd turned to a geeky looking dude, with fangs in place of incisors and pure black eyes. He stood there leaning against a tree and shrugged, half smiling.

"As much as I'm sure a lot of us want that moron dead, there will be no killing. Absolutely none. Until we're absolutely sure we're not in Equestria, nopony will be eating meat either." Groans. Even I was upset. Now I really wanted to go home. The one kid who offered to do my job spoke up at this. "I'm a freaking VAMPIRE! How am I gonna survive?" That was met with a lot of agreements from other carnivorous creatures. And very hungry humans.

One woman, dressed in a frilly gothic dress that Tradgedia would probably salivate over spoke up, "What makes you think we're in Equestria? That's a bit of a ridiculous assumption"

"I'm not sure." He stated simply. "But have you ever read any mlp fan fiction?"

"Well, no. I watch the show. And I attended this years convention. That's as far as my pegasister conviction goes." Addressing the crowd Disco- I mean Overture asked, "Show of hands, how many of you have read human in Equestria fiction?" just about everyone rose their hands. "Okay," Overture continued "Keep your hands up, and lower them only if you have not read this framing device: Human plus mysterious event or death equals sudden appearance in the Everfree forest." I saw one hand go down. The rest, an uncountable number of hands, remained. "Okay, now for my own curiosity, put your hand down if this never happened: Person in Everfree is attacked by a Manticore." No hands went down. "Yeah, that's what I thought, okay, you can put your hands down now."

"Okay," someone in the distance yelled, trying to get his voice heard. "But us being in Equestria is very far fetched. As weird as all of this is, whose to say we're not part of some government LSD experiment?"

"No one's saying we're not. As I had mentioned time travel and all that before, I'm open to many possibilities. Equestria is one of many, but takes a large portion of our collective emotional processes to, well, process. And as a result it becomes the primary possibility that we need to either confirm, or rule out to get things done. And maybe find a way home." That seemed to quiet people down as they thought about it before the forest was quickly filled with the dull roar of a crowd speaking to one another.

"Hey, what was your name again?" Overture was speaking quieter. And looking at me. I turned quickly once I realized he was talking to me. "Oh, sorry. I never actually said. It's Soulless"

"Hmm, it fits" he says, giving me a once over. Feeling self conscious I do the same, and realize my wings aren't all that's different. My leather jacket, is now a Devil May Cry style black trench, my black boots are combats, I have a new necklace. An inverted cross. Seeing my toes I'm reminded of the change. Curious, I lift my shirt. Sweet Celestia I have a fuckin' six-pack. Must rub. Rubbity-rub-rub. Mmm. That's some some good muscle tone. Sweet. I touch my face and realize my glasses have changed shape, pulling them off to get a better look at them I'm blinded by the unbelievable brightness of the world. My eyes work fine, and my eyeglasses have become round lensed black sunglasses. Which I immediately return to my face. It seems I'm highly photo-sensitive now, but my vision otherwise is now perfect. Might even be better than normal. It takes a second for my eyes to re-adjust. When they do Overture is staring at me, a smile on his face. "You done?" Overture asks. Scratching the back of my head I reply sheepishly, "Yeah".

"I have a ... mission for you, Soulless"

"Yeah?"

"So far you're the only confirmed flight capable being," I eye the trio of Kryptonians "Like I said, only confirmed flight capable. Fly up, get an aerial view. Find something that either confirms or denies the Equestrian Hypothesis."

"You got it, sir" Giving him a mock salute and frown. Smile clearly showing through it, though. I extend my wings and hear someone whisper "Beautiful!" only to realize it was me. Slightly embarrassed I flapped my wings hard, flying straight into the air, clearing the canopy. I see nothing but forest, I do a slow 360 spin and.... My breath catches, there it is. A small town probably a mile and a half away, on the edge of the forest. I try and make out what form of life lives there. My brain saying it's not possible, but part of me is really hoping to see colored horses. It's too far, I can't see anything. Noting the position of the sun I glide back down.

"There's a small, medieval looking town, about a mile and a half that way. West." I add. "It's looking possible, but I couldn't make out what the locals look like. Also, it's going to be nighttime soon. Assuming your 'Equestrian Hypothesis' is correct, I don't want to be in this area for very much longer" Overture nods, listening.

"Okay, fly over to that town, but be discreet. We don't want you scaring anyone. I need confirmation or denial. We need a plan of action. As you said, it's getting late. Be quick" Overture doesn't need to tell me twice. I flap my wings and I fly straight into the air. Once I'm above the canopy I fold my wings in and lean backwards, making myself horizontal, but upside down. I rotate so that my stomach faces the ground and extend my wings back out, catching a thermal and keeping myself aloft. Facing the direction of the small patch of civilization I had spotted earlier, I flap my wings a little harder, directing the air behind me. It only takes me about 30 seconds what might have taken 15 minutes on a sidewalk, or half an hour through the forest. I struggle to quietly slow myself, not expecting my own speed. Barely managing to land quietly on the edge of the forest I peer through the leaves at the town. No one's walking around. But it does looks a lot like Ponyville. I think I even see what could be Rarity's Boutique. I hear some feminine voices, and I duck down beneath a bush. Just beyond one of the buildings, moving into view I see.... Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie freaking Pie.