• Published 8th Jul 2012
  • 2,090 Views, 275 Comments

The Invisible Brony Defense Force - SoullessDCLXVI



At BroNYCon 2013, an ancient power transforms, then sends a lot of MLP fans to Equestria.

  • ...
22
 275
 2,090

Blockage

It has been a relatively uneventful past few days. Luna had promised to make the cover of night even darker and had gone back to Canterlot so it was just the six of us again. While Luna's darkened night aided our evasion of the others, it also greatly hindered our navigation, as the Everfree was already very naturally dark, the thick canopy blocking almost all sunlight. It was miracle that the forest floor was as lush and green as it was. This of course made what might have been a day or two long trip, into much more. I was glad for my improved eyesight, and Snake overcame the darkness easily by becoming an owl. But it was still a struggle trying to help the others find their way. Our sleep during the day was almost as troublesome as moving during the night. Each day seemed progressively brighter than the one before.

Twilight had begun to freak out during the dusk, dawn, and nighttime hours, as storms began to build up. But it wasn't a pronounced freakout. Just the occasional shudder or eye twitch followed by the soft muttering of the words "Everfree" and "Unnatural". The storms added length to what was already a daunting trip. Technia, it would seem was adept at creating tools from crap she found in the forest. And by tools, I don't mean a sharpened rock on a stick for poking things to death, no, I mean she easily hefted minerals and metals from the ground and created devices that you could find in your local RadioShack. Explains the taser. I had watched as she pulled a huge chunk of tin, copper and iron, separated it and molded it as though clay. Sand swirled and coalesced into glass. Copper into wire. A black sludge seeped from the ground, poring upwards, dragged from it's place deep down in the crust of the planet by Technia's magic. If you poured a liquid and filmed it in slow motion, and played the video upside down, that's how the sludge looked. We had seen her mix the sludge with an off smelling yellow rock and air. It coalesced into a ball of filth and crackled with energy. It wobbled to and fro while leaking excess material. It settled into a kind of rudimentary plastic. The metals, glass and plastic came together to create..... a digital barometer. ... Well. That was anti-climactic. All that power, for that. If all the unicorns possessed that much raw power no wonder Overture is still alive. At least the instrument helped calm Twilight.

We had found that the air pressure was in a stable kind of flux. The barometer hit the same points of measurement at the same time, every day. And be we, I of course mean Technia, who besides Twilight, was the only one who cared. Basically the day saw high pressure, and the night low. So when the sun set or rose, we would be faced with a storm. One that appeared to be getting worse each day. The forest canopy was no longer keeping us dry. In fact it made what droplets that did find their way down thicker and heavier than normal. And recently the drops had become nearly as frequent as open air rain.

On a particularly brutal Wednesday morning, as we neared the edge of the forest we found a cave and hunkered down for the day.

"Hey guys, come check out what I found" Snake had come back from the recesses of the cave and morphed out of his owl form, turning he motioned for us to follow. Arrow and I followed, curious to see what had gotten him so excited. Turning left and right the cave narrowed and snaked downward. When it got to be almost too shallow to continue without crawling the cave opened up to an area about the size of a two car garage. Other than the occasional stalactite and water droplet echo the area was featureless. Unless you counted the small family of rats in a corner.

"What are we looking at?" I asked, annoyed.

"I thought I-- Ah! There they are!" Snake pointed at the rats, grin wide.

"The rats?" Asked Arrow, as dumbfounded as myself.

-||-||-||-||-

"Ahh, that's better." moaned Syntax happily, rubbing his stomach in satisfaction. The fire in the cave had begun to die down along with storm. The sticks with scraps of rat meat and tiny rodent bones that littered the cave floor were brushed aside as we settled down for the remainder of the day. Our stomachs weren't full, but the deer had run out days ago and this was the first food we had had in as many days. So we were going to sleep without the pain of hunger we had been dealing with. The cave we were in also provided a sense of security that we had also been without. Needless to say we fell asleep quickly and deeply. So deeply, in fact, that we didn't notice when three figures appeared at the mouth of the cave hours later.

"Ahh! Get your paws off me, you damn dirty ape... fox... THING!" Twilight's voice rang through the cave, reverberating off the walls and proving to be better than the most innovative alarm clock ever made in waking the rest of us up. Twilight was unsuccessfully trying to remove herself from the grip of a Kitsune Anthropomorph. The Kitsune held her mane in one paw, and a dagger in the other. Before it could reach the soft flesh of Twilight's throat and arrow pierced his hand, forcing him to wail and drop his blade.

"Celestia damn it! You fucking moon cursed are going down!"

"What?" I ask. Moon cursed? Instead of a sigh and lecture, the Kitsune rushed Arrow who was standing just behind me, and was promptly clothes-lined by Syntax. However, before the Kitsune hit the ground he used his downward momentum to strike a sweeping motion at Syntax's shins. Surprised by the motion Syntax didn't brace himself and fell flat on his face. Getting up to face the fox he received a quick but hard blow to his spine. Temporarily immobilizing him. Turning to the rest of us he marched onwards. Fury on his muzzle. Snake went velociraptor and charged. The fox calmly grabbed the head of the ferocious predator and used it's own momentum to send him flying into the cave wall behind him. Snake crumpled into a reptilian heap and became an unconscious monkey boy. Arrow shot at him a few times and the furry dodged the arrows like he would the pitiful throws of paper airplane by a toddler. Arrow, momentarily out of arrows, charged the Kitsune. The Kitsune grabbed arrow by the throat and raised him a good foot off the ground. Choking, Arrow tried desperately to claw the paws of death off of his throat, his legs feebly kicking underneath him. Technia stood behind the fox, ready to electrocute both him and Arrow with her signature taser. Raising the device her face met paw as the fox casually kicked behind him. Reeling, she charged him, fully intent on delivering her electric fury. The fox spun and used Arrow as a weapon, sending both him and Technia into the cave wall next to Snake. The fox slowly turned to face me. A smile slowly spreading across his face.

Confident I was about to get my pale ass handed to me, I was faced with two choices. I knew which one was wrong. But I really wanted to be wrong right now. I could either turn tail and run like the little bitch this fox would undoubtedly make me to be, or I could stay and not got out like a pussy. Try and make an effort to save Twilight. Ugh, fine. Let's get this over with. Pulling out my blades I spread my feet in a fighting stance, as the only thing I managed to learn from the previous scuffles was that charging him did nothing, and that he was a badass. The second bit information was only helpful in that it had me properly scared, keeping my adrenaline pumping. Seeing that I was not going to attack he moved towards me, pulling a katana from the larger of the two sheaths at his waist. He picked up speed and pointed the blade at me, no doubt believing I'd be an easy kill. "Time to die, Moon filth."

The fox's Japanese blade was about half a foot from my stomach when it, and it's wielder, stopped completely. I looked up from what I had thought was my doom to see the look of surprise on the fox's face. As well as the purple field of magic that surrounded it. The surprised fox whipped his around 180 degrees in an unnatural speed, then fell onto both his, back, and his face. His neck was twisted completely around, a bit of spine jutted forth, blood oozed out of the wound. It took me a minute to realize that the fox had not turned his head like that of his own volition, but rather his neck was snapped by Twilight, who was yawning.

The fight wasn't over though, there were still two figures standing there. One was a nervous man in a blue overcoat and black boots. A state alchemist, if memory served. The other was an obvious chi-blocker from The Legend of Korra. The chi-blocker tilted his head, and without looking away from us, raised a desert eagle to the back of his unwary partner's head. And fired. The blood shot backwards from the state alchemist's head, as if it was that, and not the forward momentum of the bullet, that propelled his now lifeless body to fall forward and land motionless and wide eyed on the cave floor.

"You guys mind if I join you? You look like you've been having fun. Or at least interesting times. And I've been bored out of my mind without my phone. Name's Pascal" The chi-blocker calmly lowered the gun. He acted as though he hadn't just murdered his own teammate in cold blood.

"Uh..." I say. "No...? You just killed your last ally. Why would we let you be in our group?" Pascal looked disinterestedly at his former ally.

"No, I didn't. He was sun loyal. I am moon loyal. Therefore we are enemies. I would have done the fox in sooner, but he was kind of a decent fighter. And quite paranoid, I might add."

"What is this 'Sun Loyal and 'Moon Loyal' stuff?"

The chi-blocker again tilted his head. Great. Just what we need. Another fucking masked man. "You mean you don't know?"

"No."

"The Holy Order of Harmony has begun to split in half. Word of what's happened with Twilight and Overture has spread all way around the circles. Those loyal to Overture are calling themselves Sun Loyal. Apparently he has a good relationship with Princess Celestia. However there are those that are wise to conspiracy, and we're loyal to you, Moon Priest."

"There are members loyal to me? Why?"

"Don't feed your ego just yet. You're nothing more than a symbol. That and you're genuinely attempting to safeguard Twilight Sparkle. You'd be surprised just how much people care for her." He sounded bored. As though that was a mystery that didn't need solving.

"Oh."

"We should continue heading west. There's almost a border in the circles as the east side, being closer to Overture, is mostly sun loyal. Moon Loyals make up the majority of the western halves."

"We were already heading that way."

"Then that'll make things easier. Come, wake your friends. They appear to be mostly unhurt."

-||-||-||-||-

"What do you mean Twilight killed him?" Snake asked, seemingly personally offended. We had walked the evening hours away, the wind was picking up as we neared the tree line and the sun neared the horizon. Ominous clouds roiled over the green and purple hills. Distant flashes of lightning lit up the gray evening sky, occasionally followed by quiet thunder. A light drizzle began to fall.

"I mean she magically reversed the orientation of his head. And ended his life." Saying that out loud I understood the feeling that had been in my gut since the incident. Not only had Twilight killed. She seemed unphased by it. I thought I was gonna be sick.

"Yeah, no. That's not possible. The ponies ain't capable of that." Technia butted in.

"And why not?" an irritated Twilight asked. "Are we not strong enough? Is that it? are we weak, Technia?"

"No! You're plenty strong, it's just, Killing is.. not something easily done." Twilight's hard look softened.

"Look at it logically. That thing wanted us dead. It wasn't going to stop unless it was itself dead. It's unfortunate that it came to that, but I feel no guilt. He had to die. He's dead. What's the problem?"

"B-b-but... you're Twilight Sparkle...." stammered Snake. His world yanked from beneath him.

"So. Overture is wrong on every point. Not just most of them." I point out "The ponies, aren't innocent. Our presence was never a real threat. All this time...." It begins to sink in for the others as I say out loud what they had all been likely thinking. Shoulders sag as we exit the forest, the rain falls harder and the thunder clouds completely envelop the sky, at this time of day it effectively becomes night. Though the sun is likely still above the horizon. The wind pushed at us forcefully from behind and our ears popped painfully as the air pressure dropped significantly.

"So.. does that mean you're not going to protect me anymore?" a now worried Twilight asked shouting above the wind, eyes wide in fear.

"What?! Of course we'll protect you. You may be not be the innocent ponies we thought you were, but you still don't deserve death." I said, shouting back.

"Speaking of," shouted Pascal "It would be best if we kept Twilight's actions in the cave secret. Many Moon Loyal would see it as a sign of Overture's ways being correct, others may simply want justice or may go on a rampage of what they'd see as a betrayal. The Sun Loyal would likely strengthen their efforts to find her, and they would become effective."

"Aww, I didn't know you cared." Shouted Snake.

"I don't." Pascal replied "I've simply made your goal my own, nothing like an objective to make a mission. And missions are more fun than free roaming the map, anyway."

"Oh." Snake replied looking forward, and away from Pascal who, despite my better judgement, trailed behind the rest of us.

-||-||-||-||-

The nighttime storm followed by the very dark night, and the absence of forest allowed for the fastest traveling we had yet accomplished. Within four hours were at he base of the mountain. The sparkling city of Canterlot directly above us. The clean sound of rushing water on rock drowned out all other noise as waterfalls from the city connected with the false delta of a real river. Snake had gone falcon and was scouting the area for HOH and an effective way into the city, the rest of us sat in the darkness of the city's moon cast shadow, resting our tired legs when Snake came back. Being a monkey boy with pointy ears again he sat, panting.

"You guys, have to see this." If I had a nickel.

"What?" I ask.

"Just, follow me. And Technia, could you make us some binoculars?"

"Binoculars? Just plastic and lenses?"

"Yeah."

"No, too difficult. But I can make some high tech military grade night vision binoculars, will that do?"

"Yes." Snake said simply. Not sure how to respond.

"What? The more high tech an object is, the easier it is to make. Don't ask me why." Ten minutes later we were one pair of high tech military grade night vision binoculars heavier and we had crested a low part of the mountain, allowing us to see southward.

"Look there." Snake pointed, leaning against Syntax to allow him a better judgement of where Snake was pointing. Syntax peered through the binoculars.

"No.... way....."

"What?" I ask, suddenly interested. Syntax, moving only his arms in shock, handed the binoculars to me. A field of Mountain Dew green covers my vision as the night vision takes the place of visible light. I'm glad I have my sunglasses on, or this would hurt. But that makes using the binoculars cumbersome. The field moves erratically as I try and stabilize the binoculars. Finally it settles. "Is that.. what I think it is?"

"If you think it's a fleet of frickin' tanks, then I think yeah." Snake said. In the distance we heard a familiar soft whine build up, and then an extremely loud blast. A huge red beam launched itself from somewhere in the mountain. The beam lined up directly with the tanks. Looking through the binoculars again I see that the forward most tank's right track has been damaged. The other tanks had stopped, and their barrels pointed in the direction of the Spartan Laser that had damaged their friend. Flashes of light rocked the night vision, about five seconds later the thunderous boom of the tank rounds being fired rocked us. Followed closely by the explosions created by the very rounds as they no doubt hit the ODST that was stationed here. Another beam of red hit some of the other tanks, this time the beam was narrow, an split in two. The Kryptonian with heat vision must be here. Clouds formed and and spun around the fleet of five tanks, lightning sparked within them. A man with blonde hair and red cape swung his hammer down, a bolt of lightning hit a tank. And the tank was pretty much unfazed. But a foot soldier who had been walking next to the tank was burned pretty badly. Though still alive.

Twin blue-white beams finished the soldier off as Iron Man, or rather, a geek who really liked Iron Man, began his assault. One of the tanks turned it's barrel an obliterated the red suited man. Turning him into a mix of red paste and mist in a single shot.

"Is it just me, or are these really powerful beings getting their asses kicked? And their attacks are not doing as much damage as I'd expect either." Pascal posed.

"Yeah, I thought that laser would kill a tank." Technia said.

"To be fair, Halo weapons kind of suck. I mean, 500 years in the future, interstellar travel, and all we can do is add an LED ammo counter to our assault rifles? Can't even really aim the things anymore. No sights on the gun. Knowing how much ammo you have is more important I guess." I quipped.

"Let's not lose focus." Pascal reprimanded. "We are under attack."

"By Americans, it looks like." said Syntax.

"Aren't you American?" Technia asked

"I'm Equestrian now. Maybe not legally, but it's the nation that I hold dear. And the one I'll fight to protect." answered Syntax.

"I'm Equestrian too." Put forth Snake.

"I'm down." Added Arrow.

"Sure, why not? I'll admit I feel a lot more loyal to Equestria than America right now, especially if they're the ones attacking." I add.

"Don't look at me, I'm already a pony. I think you know my answer." added Technia. All of heads turned to Pascal expectantly.

"I swear no loyalties. Only that I won't betray you six. Don't feel like seeing the mission failed screen."

"Is life a video game to you?" Technia asks.

"No, but it's entertaining to treat it that way."

"Okay. Well. I think it's time we kill some alien invaders, what do you guys think?" I ask, arms spread in question.

"Let's go." Pascal and Syntax said at the same time. Eager to taste blood. "Oh, you might want this back. I took it off you in the cave." Pascal handed Syntax a desert eagle. Syntax took it and looked in his holsters to find one missing. I could only imagine the glare he sent Pascal as he checked the magazine and holstered the weapon.

"You're a prick, Pascal. Don't steal my shit again."

"Whatever." he shrugged.

Moving towards the tanks we steeled our resolve with a battle cry.

"For Equestria!" Shouted six voices.

"For the hell of it!" Screamed another.