• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 839 Views, 18 Comments

The Source of All Magic - Final_Scratch



In which I explore where magic comes from, and what happens when it dasappears.

  • ...
 18
 839

Chapter 7: Arrival

Every single head at the party became alike, with cavernous gapes across the muzzles and unblinking eyes. In an instant any notion of the former royal debate left the collective minds of the group, only to be replaced with thoughts of even greater chaos, thoughts of Discord. Pinkie was first to regain herself.

"Discord? But, we trapped you in that statue thing! Remember there was the thing, and we were all gray and turned into meanies, but the Twilight came and fixed us and all of the elements were like WOOSH and everypony had glowing eyes and then-"

"Pinkie my dear," Discord interrupted. "You can't of possibly thought you foals could trap me if your all-powerful Princess Celestia couldn't? I'm actually a little insulted, I thought you might enjoy this." He conjured up a blue stormcloud, which was spewing white rain. "Look, the cotton candy clouds even have new flavors. They come in vanilla now!"

"Isn't that almost the same thing as last time? Come on Dis', you can do better than that. Have some originality," Pinkie smirked.

"Pinkie, what the hay are you trying to do? You're going to get us all-" Twilight swas stopped by a nudge from the pony next to her, who discretely motioned towards the now ajar backdoor. Fluttershy was nowhere to be found. Twilight nodded and turned her head back to Pinkie and Discord. Pinkie was continuig to try to egg Discord on.

"Originality Pinkie? I'll show you true creativity!" He laughed as he conjured up a myriad of seemingly ordinary objects, but it soon became apparent that they had myriad abilities. A ball had been blessed with a sort of magnetic attraction, except that it's main attraction was ponies. It zipped about the room making random noises and shifting into different materials, from a jelly-like blob to some kind of nougat. Some items seemed to blink in and out of existence, leaving the area around Discord only to appear behind an unsuspecting pony. Something about the chaotic being was cackling maniacally, although it was impossible to determine the source of the noise.

The unpredictable atmosphere was emphasized by an ear-shattering smash produced by the removal of the window. A rainbow blur landed among the now fragmented glass, followed by a soft yellow shape that gently grounded itself along side the now upright blur. The backdoor was kicked open to reveal a frenzy of orange fury, backed by a purposeful white unicorn entering the room. All were adorned with necklaces, and the unicorn held one with a pink balloon in her telekinetic grip, along with a tiara set with a purple jewel.

"This ends now, Discord!" Rainbow yelled. She flew over to Rarity and retrieved the elements of Laughter and Magic respectively, quickly returning them to their individual holders. Each holder bore a look of determination on their face as they stared down the Draconequus. They stood in formation, ready to launch their attack at a moment's notice.

"Well isn't this a familiar scene. The ever-confidant and frankly handsome me on one side and you little foals and your relements on the others. I do remember last time we found ourselves like this, and I was enconsed and stone for a brief time. By the way, I've been meaning to thank you for giving me the time to think, and just want to let you know you'd be perfectly justified to imprison me again. In fact, I encourage you to." He created a throne of gold and velvet, and sat upon it with a derisive smirk. "Fire when ready girls."

Had she been of more stable mind, Twilight may have realized how suspicious the entire situation was. No remotely sane being would go to the trouble of escaping something just to get put back in, and with the time he had to think Discord would surely have some kind of plan at this point. Even a god of chaos has the sense not to fall for the same trick twice. However the stress of the last few days had been hard on everyone, Twilight in particular. All were eager to get rid of this new problem so they could return to focusing on the old one.

Nonetheless, with a mighty yell of "Fire!" Twilight gave the order to use the elements, and each holder was raised into the air with the element's power. Eyes glowed brilliant and blinding white, colors swirled around bodies and combined into a rainbow of pure magical energy. This stream of energy arced towards it's target quickly, striking him in a massive flash of light and blinding everyone. When Twilight regained her vision, she only saw Discord standing and laughing, one hundred percent the same being he was before the assault. The holders however, were standing dumfounded.

"What the hay is goin' on?" Applejack protested. "I thought these darn things were s'posed to help us beat bad guys."

"Well, it's a tad more complicated that that, my dear Applejack, but I doubt it's of much concern to you now." A wheel of cheese floating expanded and popped like a balloon, emphasizing his point. It splattered confetti everywhere. "After all, your main concern will soon be with chaos and lies."

Twilight felt a nudge again, this time from a very concerned Rainbow Dash.

"Um Twi, why exactly aren't these things working? We're kind of screwed without them."

Twilight had no answer for Rainbow, at least not at the moment. Discord randomly appeared about the room, casting some kind of spell over the ponies. Each victim was turned to shades of gray, color leaving them completely. Soon everypony in the room was under the spell, and not long after the entire town was discorded. Chaos reigned again, and nopony had the power to stop it.

Well, almost nopony.

Comments ( 2 )

Somepony who's sort of greyish already, I should think.

1301611

HOLY SHIT A NEW READER

Haven't had one of you guys in ages.

And yes, obvious thing is obvious. I'm still having fun.

Login or register to comment