• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 840 Views, 18 Comments

The Source of All Magic - Final_Scratch



In which I explore where magic comes from, and what happens when it dasappears.

  • ...
 18
 840

Chapter 2: Politics

"It is unfair sister! We never get to participate in official events! If we have the same power as you do then why can't we be treated equally?

Luna and Celestia were in the latter's bedchamber arguing. It was an argument they often had despite the fact that it went pretty much the same way every time. Celestia would return from some political event to find Luna waiting in her bedchamber, furious that she hadn't been invited to come along. The solar princess sighed and began to explain once again.

"Luna, I told you to stop referring to yourself as we. That's exactly why I can't have you coming to these things; you haven't learned how to blend back into normal society yet. I can't exactly have you yelling at other ponies in the Royal Canterlot Voice at every meeting we go to, can I? It's not the same as it was a thousand years ago, and you've been gone too long for it to be easy for you to adjust."

""So we- I mean I've been gone too long to know how society works now, have I. Now whose fault could that be?" Celestia winced. She hated it when Luna used that against her, mostly because she was generally right whenever she did. Luna let a small smirk form on her lips, knowing she'd won a small victory. "And besides, I got along fine with the regular ponies at Nightmare Night didn't I?"

"Yes you did, but not until after you scared everypony away and got help from Twilight. If it weren't for her they'd still think you were going to try and eat him."

"That's beside the point sister, and you know it! I have done everything you have instructed me to in helping me to readjust. I spend an hour a day with that entirely insufferable speech coach, I spent hours reading all of Ms. Sparkle's friendship reports to learn how the common folk interact, and I read that balderdash book of yours about making friends. It's time I go out and earn the same admiration you receive, and the only way I will is in the eyes of the people." Luna was angry again now, and Celestia recoiled slightly at her sister's outburst. Perhaps it is time I let her try, at least at some of the less important meetings. Nightmare Night wasn't that bad after all, and in all fairness she was delightful at the wedding reception. Besides, if I give her something unimportant to do I don't have to risk her causing an incident.

"Very well Luna, perhaps you are right. I have a speech to give at a celebration in Fillydelphia tomorrow, why don't you go in my place? One of my guards has the details; he should be in the barracks. Just ask Shining Armor, he knows which one." That ought to do it.

"Thank you Tia, you won't regret this." Luna called her by her nickname to show she wasn't upset, but when she left she turned not towards the barracks but towards her own bedchamber.

I knew she'd just throw me a bone to keep me busy. If she doesn't think I can do this without causing an incident, well then I might just have to prove her right.

With that thought, Luna went to her chambers to rest and plan for the next day. If she had her way, it's be an eventful day in Fillydelphia to say the least.

------------

Ditzy Doo had had a long, long day.

It had started with the mail, as it always did. Normally she'd be up early and finished by ten or ten thirty, but she'd slept in and it seemed everypony had packages that day. After that she had to get groceries and do several errands, and now Dinky was going to beat her home. And as smart as Dinky was for a filly, she was still a filly and Ditzy would not have her locked out by herself. The gray pegasus put on a burst of speed.

"Ditzy! Down here, I need to talk to you!" The voice was coming from a blue unicorn on the ground. Damn it. I need to get home. "It's important Ditzy! Get the buck gown here!" Alright, I'll just take a second to see what it is and then go home. Ditzy began her descent towards the newspaper brandishing pony.

"What is it Colgate, I need to be somewhere right now." Ditzy was visibly annoyed, but Colgate was too excited to notice."

"Did you see the news Ditzy? It's everywhere!"

"Colgate, I have no idea what you're talking about," Ditzy stated flatly. "So spit it out before I leave, I need to beat Dinky home."

"Here, just look at the paper!" Colgate exclaimed as she pushed the newspaper into Ditzy's face. Derpy removed it and focused her eyes so she could see the small print.

"Local Librarian Ousted at Book Club. Colgate, why would I care about-?"

"Not that headline Ditzy! Read the other one!" Ditzy flipped to the front page.

"Luna Announces Intent to Overthrow Sister." She started reading the article. "At a speech in Fillydelphia the Moon Princess Luna announced that she intended to oversee all political activities in place of her sister, the Sun Princess Celestia. Luna was quoted as saying the following: "The time of my seclusion from society has passed; it is time for me to assume my full duties and the princess of moon. If my sister will not allow me to take my place as her equal, then I will be forced to take my place as her superior."" Ditzy looked up to check for a reaction from Colgate.

"Keep reading it!" Ditzy continued.

"When Princess Celestia was asked about her sister's speech, she responded as follows: "My sister has been away from our society for a millennium, and it is too soon for her to attempt to reintegrate into our society on a large scale, especially while attempting to take on my responsibilities. If she believes she can take over just by saying so then she is sorely mistaken." Wait, what does this mean?" Ditzy asked.

"What it means Ditzy, is that both princesses want to be in charge and neither of them can agree who should be. Since they have equal power, in theory anyhow, the decision is going to be left to the general populous." Ditzy was surprised, Colgate generally wasn't so coherent.

"So this means that we have to decide who's in charge?" Ditzy inquired.

"That's right my pegasus friend, every pony in Equestria has to make a choice. You're on one side or the other Ditzy, and it all comes down to one decision."

"And what decision is that?"

"Are you Lunar or Solar?