• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,067 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,067

PreviousChapters Next
Those Ships In the Corner

Rainbow Dash found herself experiencing a new kind of anxiety.

Between the violent wake that the ships made in the choppy surf and the lumiscent glow of their lunar enchantments, she just knew that any searching equine from miles out in any direction would have no trouble whatsoever in locating the Princess Stardust and the inexplicable fleet that was now guiding it eastward. She even took to the air a few times to confirm her nervous suspicions. From above, the Stardust and its sarosian entourage resembled a pack of gnarled whales rippling their way in a jagged "V" formation. The vessels sliced across a quivering pool of star-lit waters, and she worried over the possibility that they might be giving away their location.

Enix did her best to dissuade her fears—at least as well as a bloodstained warrior with a thick sarosian accent could manage. The entire time, none of the other sarosians spoke to Rainbow or her fellow Heraldites. Every bat pony that she stole a glance at was either bowing in her direction or—even more troubling—stealing angry glares at the likes of Echo. The friend to Theanim Mane nearly shrugged it off, meanwhile Nicole stood close to Bard throughout the extent of the journey in order to stave off her frazzled nerves.

Remna—on the contrary—was the very epitome of "cool." She stood ever-vigilant, hooves planted as close as they could be to the Stardust's bow. No minute wore off when she wasn't training her slitted green eyes on the vessels surrounding them.

After a while, Rainbow felt compelled to mimic the observational methods of her draconian companion. She watched the large, slender vessels covered with twisting reeds, seaweed, and glowing pale stones. Her ruby eyes matched the graceful, circular movements of the spheroid submersibles as they seemed to spin laps around the Stardust in mid-transit. While Rainbow was on watch, Twilight Sparkle and Rarity speculated as to what may have been powering the vessels from the inside out.

Eventually—if only to shut them up—Rainbow posed the question to Echo. The stallion explained that the ships were constructed out of Bleakweed, a generic term for underwater vegetation that grew along the last continental shelf before the frothing, watery edge of the plane. After centuries of floating listlessly across the choppy waters around Bleak's Plummet, the midnighter residents sought solutions from the depths. It was then that they discovered entire forests of kelp with rigid vines and even tighter roots. Once enough samples were taken, the descendants of Nightmare Moon's army found a way to grow and weave the material into any shape they liked. Utilizing lunar runes, they could then pilot these naturally-constructed vessels and power their propulsion in any direction using key spells—all controlled by word of muzzle. It was a nautical art that had been mastered after years and years of experimentation. Now—in the modern era—midnighter pilots could glide and surface through the waves with a swiftness almost equal to how they once mastered the night's sky.

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were dying to know how the sarosians stumbled upon so many samples of lunar rock. Rainbow brought the question to Echo—but it was Princess Luna herself who answered. Ages ago—even before the rise of Nightmare Moon—Princess Luna endeavored to create a safe haven for all sarosian kind. Her solution was to create a portal that would allow Equestrian subjects to instantaneously materialize on the moon. Over the course of several millennia—Luna explained—she and her royal subjects worked on excavating a grand city from the heart of the moon: called Ponymonium. The materials extracted from such an excavation found a home in Equestria, and it was from them that the countless samples of enchanted rock were preserved for runecrafting. After the Civil War, the sarosians who performed their mass exodus carried with them several tons of the priceless rock, and they had been tapping into the lunar supply for weapons and enchantment ever since.

In a burst of curiosity, Rainbow Dash asked Princess Luna if there were any sarosians left living in Ponymonium following her banishment one thousand years ago. The conversation then grew quiet, and Rainbow's ghostly companions shifted about nervously. When Luna only had a taciturn, melancholic response, Twilight quietly explained to Rainbow Dash that the magic that allowed the passage to Ponymonium had faded away several hundred years ago—a consequence of the harmonic energies that Nightmare Moon had sapped from Luna's spirit.

Hours wore on. The ships continued to guide the Stardust eastward—northeastward, actually. Rainbow found herself gazing off the starboard bow, watching as the flicker of Yaerfaerda grew closer and closer. She felt her heart beating with every random pulse, and the light was getting so bright that it was getting difficult to stare at anything else without squinting.

Nevertheless, her attention—and that of the rest of the Herald—was stolen the moment she heard a shrill cry from one of the flanking vessels. She looked north in time to see what looked to be a thick maelstrom of swirling water... rumbling like a tempest beneath the thunder-split heavens.

PreviousChapters Next