• Published 13th Oct 2015
  • 10,066 Views, 18,189 Comments

Utaan - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash endures many trials to reach the edge of the world.

  • ...
44
 18,189
 10,066

PreviousChapters Next
The Lengths That We Go

Sonikah limply trotted up a steep hill overlooking the glittery waters of Sun Roost. Griffons darted like shadows overhead, briefly slicing the last rays of sunlight across the warm rockscape.

Theanim Mane stood on the dock at lakeside. He stared up the sharp incline, gazing at her lone figure from afar.

Sonikah didn't dare look back down. She shuddered with every step, as if overcome by a deep and bone-splitting chill.


Vapors escaped Seraphimus' beak in rapid bursts. They did not stop her.

The sun had disappeared behind the mountains, casting the world in a frozen gray sheen.

The Commander's paws crunched through the snow as she threaded her way through the trees. One plate at a time, she shrugged the silver armor off her body. Shoulderpieces and chest guards littered the wet snow behind her. Soon she was alone with her fluttering feathers in the cold evening wind.

She shut her eyes, inhaling frost and the scent of pine.


Sonikah tried sitting down. Instead, she collapsed on the hilltop. Everywhere she looked, the world was warm, rosy. A golden crispness invaded her every sense, and it jarred the mare.

Shuddering, she reached up, touching one of her flouncing braids. It hurt to the touch, because suddenly... she was no longer numb to it.

Without a second thought, she found herself toying with the rigid twine that bound the braids in place. It surprised her how little effort it took to unravel the material. Within seconds, a portion of her mane dangled freely in the warm breeze. It had a smell to it: rancid, dirty, likely infested with lice.

Sonikah couldn't remember the last time she ever bathed... or needed to. Did she always smell so horrible... feel so horrible? All those years spent above the waters of the Quade... with zero baptisms.

The mare was finding it increasingly hard to breathe. She reason, she deemed, was due to the sackcloth tunic ensnaring her like a noose. She fought with it... struggled with it. Her fetlocks rubbed red and raw against the coarse material... and it hurt.

It hurt until she cried... unleashing tears in deep, guttural sobs as she fought and pried at the imprisoning material.


Seraphimus paused dead in the snow.

At last...

...she fell to her knees.

The snow stung through her exposed limbs. Nevertheless, she knelt there... crouched there... collapsed there.

She breathed in rigid waves. Her charcoal eyes fluttered shut, blind to all sparks.

"Please..."

She bowed low.

"Please forgive me..."

She bowed lower.

"Please... speak to me..." Her talons rested in the snow on either side of her head. "...I seek your presence... your wisdom..."

Her beak scraped into the soft layers of frost. Her voice echoed like whispers against the dead pine trees around her.

"...I have failed the Council and I have failed my wingmates... but I do not wish to fail you..."

Her tail laid at her side, coiled and dead. Her headcrest drooped as her words poured out in earnest.

"...please, tell me what I must do. As a faithful child, I entreat you. As a humble wife and mother, I beg of you..." Her brow furrowed, tight and tighter. "How can I make up for my mistakes? How can I please you so that you may bless these tribes and bless them through me...?"


A warm pair of forelimbs reached out and grasped Sonikah's.

The mare gasped. Through a layer of tears, she looked behind her.

Nicro sat by her side. "Shhhh... do not fuss with the sackcloth, dear sister," she said. "It is not your true surface."

Sonikah shook... shuddered. "They... they took..." She sobbed like a foal. "They took us..."

"I know." Nicro nodded, jaw clenched. "The Consortium—they used you. How many brothers and sisters died on the journey to this continent?"

Sonikah clenched her eyes shut.

"Do not blame yourself, elder," Nicro said softly. "For it is not the first time that we've been used. Over the eons, we have grown accustomed to suffering. But to suffer is noble only once. It is the beginning of something... the transcendence that Verlaxion desires for all of us. Why else would she unite the tribes unless she wanted us to surpass the greatest plight of all? The plight of misery in the absence of her glory... a glory that is magnified in the presence of each other... and in helping each other..."

Sonikah hiccuped on a sob. "The texts... are drowned. The Kyrons... the Kyrons are all gone..."

"As was their choice. To suffer and diminish. But is that truly what Verlaxion desires of us?" Nicro slowly shook her head, and she hugged Sonikah in the last remnant of daylight. "To heal, sister. To heal means to live... and to enjoy more years of bringing glory to our Goddess."

"I... I don't know..." Sonikah whimpered. "I don't know how..."

"Let us learn together." Nicro squeezed her. "Will you help me? Will you help me heal... and heal you?"

Sonikah clenched her eyes shut. After several pent-up breaths, she eventually nodded.

Nicro patted her shoulder. Leaning in, she fished her hooves under Sonikah's tunic... then tore the sackcloth article apart completely.

Sonikah's chest stuck out. She arched her head back, inhaling, filling up...

...and she released with a long wail, echoing into the heart of the eroded continent. Nicro held her closely, weathering each sob and shake with strong forelimbs. The two pilgrims shivered together, like sisters, upon the warm roof of a new home.

Down below, several observing Luminards bowed their heads and murmured quiet prayers.

Theanim Mane watched quietly, deadpan. His moist eyes glistened in the sunset. He fixed them by sliding his goggles down, then turning around to stroll across the lengths of Sun Roost, absorbing the warmth in the air.


Seraphimus bowed alone in the woods.

"Speak to me, eternal mother... Goddess of the Thawing..."

She shook and shivered in the gray dimness.

"...I need to hear from you. Please... tell me what I must do." Her beak clattered. "Do I fix the ugliness that I see before me? Or do I follow what your Council has directed, and chase the Rogue... even in spite of the chaos and madness such a pursuit wreaks?"

Silence.

"I am your humble servant... your righteous talon. Show me the way, for I cannot see it on my own." Seraphimus shuddered. "Please, Goddess. I have... I-I have given so much for you." Seraphimus shook. "I have lost so much for your gain..."

Silence.

"Will... will you not help this child of yours?" Seraphimus gulped. "...as she has helped so many foals of yours? Please... I entreat you. Speak to me. Just one word... just one breath... and I shall aim my wings to that current. I shall fly the lengths of this continent... and even the s-seven seas beyond... if you will only speak to me... just... just speak to me..."

The woods hung around her, still and sterile.

Seraphimus stopped shaking.

"Mrmmffff..."

Her claws raked against the snow and the rich earth hidden underneath.

"... I hate you..."

She looked up, eyes like charcoal daggers that scraped at the frost, chiseling.

"I hate you." Her tail flicked. "When will it be enough? When will it ever be enough?" An angry beak hung open. "I've given my life... my wingmates. Must I give myself as well? What, then, will they have to wake up to? Do you want them to hate you as well?"

More silence.

Seraphimus bowed her head once again. Her talons clawed at more snow, made fists... then went limp.

"Alas..."

A breathy sigh. Vapors rippled up through the branches above her.

"...it is only for y-you to know." A sniffle. "And for th-this humble child to follow..."

She closed her eyes. Her beak pressed once again to the snow.

"Please forgive me... and guide me... as you h-have been guiding me." She cleared her throat. "For this child... mmmm... knows b-better than to question your wisdom..."

Her eyes reopened. They reflected the grayness of the dying dead.

"...your will be done."

Eventually, the Commander stood up. She picked up her armor, slowly putting it back on. Snow was clinging to the silver plates, making each square inch of them even colder than before. With a sigh, seraphimus girded herself anyways, and soon she was shuffling off... somewhere.

PreviousChapters Next