• Published 26th Aug 2015
  • 810 Views, 19 Comments

Four Ponies & A Time Machine - SkelePone



When Time Turner and three friends (or not-friends) drunkenly shoot themselves back in time, they have to find their way back home through history, magic, and science. Obstacles like angry farmers, nightmare kings, and Classical-era pub fights.

  • ...
7
 19
 810

Chapter IX: Starswirl the Clean-Shaven

“There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick.”
― Steven Moffat, Doctor Who

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"We finally reached 'im then, Doc?"
"Yes. We're right when Starswirl just started his career, working as the Royal Wizard. Thankfully, we only moved to the outer gates of Canterlot. We should be able to get in and find him easily enough. But more info before we step out. Now, the King has recently died in combat. Be respectful, you three. And Celestia's mother is going to pass from grief in a few more decades."
"But Doctor," Derpy interjected, "couldn't we do anything to save them?!"
"No, even if they did live, history would mend itself. They'd still end up dying and Celestia and her sister, the filly Luna, would rise as the Royal Sisters. As a side, King Sombra is currently ruling over the Crystal Kingdom, murdering Princess Amore. Princess Amore's daughter, the newborn Princess Mi Amore Cadenza is being raised by Queen Selene. Discord has made his presence known. He is gaining a small following."
"So what year is it?" Rose asked.
"The year is 750 A.B. They have only recently adopted the B.C. A.B. year count."

Carnegie Porter pulled himself up, careful not strain his injured leg. He took a sip of beer, the alcohol helping to numb the throbbing pain. Roseluck stood by his side, letting him lean slightly against her for support.

They all stood by the beeping dashboard, even though Time Turner was the only one of them who understood what it was saying.

Carnegie realized that everypony was tired.
Time Turner looked exhausted, bags under his eyes. Derpy's own walleyes were a little bloodshot with tire. Roseluck was swaying slightly, struggling to keep him up. Carnegie knew for a fact he could use some rest.
He suggested they find a stream, take a quick bath, and then come back to rest for awhile in the time machine. They all merrily agreed to that.
They did in fact find a stream. They washed the filth from their hooves and coats. Roseluck helped him wash the gaping hole in the back of his leg. It smarted a bit, but Carnegie knew a nice washing would do it good.

Then, together, they all passed out onto the floor. Before he closed his eyes, Porter saw the Doctor put a hoof around Derpy.

Huh, he thought, as he did the same with Rose, looks like everypony's found love on this little trip of ours. How cute.

Then he began to snore loudly, with Rose snoring softly in his warm hug.


They were all jolted awake by a pounding on the door.

"Helloooo? Anypony in there? Seriously, Princess, who in their right minds would park their carriage right in the middle of the road like this?"
Time Turner and Carnegie Porter untangled themselves from Derpy and Roseluck. They all gazed in fear at the sealed door. Somepony was out there. They all began to silently panic, Rose and Derpy hiding behind the stallions. The stallions themselves had wide eyes, gaping at door.
Well, if anypony was going to tell them to piss off, why not let it be Carnegie Porter?

Carnegie cleared his throat, and winced in pain as his leg began to collapse beneath him. Roseluck quickly caught him, holding him up.

"Whatcha want, mate? We're in a righ' mess an' we don' need anymore trouble."
"Oh dear me, are you alright? You sound like you are in pain!"
"I... I've 'ad a wee bit of an accident with me leg. An' the rest of us are bloody tired as Tartarus."
"My good stallion, you talk as if there are more than one of you!"
"Aye. There's four of us."
"Four?! I say, do let us in! You sound like you're in horrible shape!"

Porter looked to Time Turner, arching a bushy eyebrow in question. After a moment of thought, the Doctor nodded.

"Alrigh'. We're gonna open the door. Step back, will ya?"

Time Turner pulled a lever, and the door slid open with a hiss. For a second, Carnegie's eyes were blinded by the morning light. Then he saw a pair of ponies, looking incredulously at the tattered band of travelers.

One was a pony that Carnegie remembered from story books. Tall, slender. Grey coat. Wearing a cape with jingling bells. Except he was without a hat and he was much younger. He didn't have his beard yet.
The other pony shocked Carnegie Porter to the core. It was an Alicorn. A white Alicorn, with a flowing pink mane and tail. Her cutie mark was that of a sun. The last time Porter had seen the Princess, she was a newborn foal, and he had accidentally named her while trying to make a joke.

Celestia.

Carnegie fainted, the startled cries of Rose, Time Turner, Derpy, Celestia, and Starswirl going unheard as he fell into darkness.

Starswirl the Clean-Shaven... Carnegie thought as his brain began to shut down.

Now that's a joke for the pub...


The next few times he woke up, his vision and mind were fuzzy.

The first time, he was lying in bed as a slender grey unicorn cast spell after spell on his leg and face. Carnegie thought he looked rather like that Shudderbones fellow. Then he remembered that Shudderbones was much darker than that unicorn, and wore a tattered cloak rather than a blue cape covered in stars...

Starswirl...

The second time, he was still lying in bed, and Rose was sitting in a chair by his bedside, wiping his forehead with a cold towelette. Noticing he had awoken, she whispered to him to go back to sleep. Then she kissed his forehead and he obeyed her hushed command.

The third time, it was nighttime, and a white Alicorn was looking down upon him, a strange expression on her face. She saw he had awoken and cast a quick spell, which eased his pain and lulled him back into a peaceful slumber.

Celestia...

The fourth time, he woke with a fever. Time Turner and Rose stood by his side, trying to help a masked doctor pony sponge down his leg and his head. They were saying something about infections and poisoned arrowheads. It hurt Carnegie's brain to think about. So he passed out once again.

The fifth and final time, Celestia was at his bedside again, humming a sweet melody. He smiled at the tune, recognizing it as an old pub song from the Canterlotian lowerclass bars. He tried humming with her, or even to sing the words, but he felt waves of exhaustion wash over him. Celestia noticed he had woken, and she bent low to whisper in his ear.

"Hush, my little pony. Starswirl tells me your time to sing will come soon. Now sleep."

And he slept.