• Published 10th Aug 2015
  • 4,473 Views, 169 Comments

Celestia takes a vacation - Hydralisk



Princess Celestia has nearly 100 years of unused vacation, but that was about to change when a magic portal appears out of nowhere and whisks her away to a unknown world to be a familiar for a bratty noble.

  • ...
12
 169
 4,473

Where Celestia makes a decision

Fear, that reaction was around every corner for Louise and Celestia. And both of them really didn’t know what to make of it.

Louise, on one hand, was happy that she didn’t have to deal with the constant ‘Zero’ remarks. On the other hand she now had to deal with hushed whispers behind her back about how no one should come too close to her because her familiar could potentially banish them directly to hell and how Guiche got lucky and ‘only’ ended with him slapping miss Longvilled on her behind.


“I didn’t allow you to stop, did I?” Longville said to a panting Guiche who was carrying all the academy paperwork that she had to do, which was also weighted down with a few stones that had some special enchantments, like extra weight and launching themselves at whoever dropped them.

“I can’t feel my arms anymore Miss Long… AH!” His whining got interrupted by the contact of a wip with his bare back.

The green haired devil got a smile on her face. “First of all, how are you supposed to call me?”

“M-Mistress!” He said with a pained expression and tears running down his eyes.

“Good boy. And secondly, that is a good thing, isn't it?” Her smile got even sweeter. “After all that means no pain, so I can let you carry even more.”

It is debatable if he got lucky by not being sent to hell.


It even go to the point where the students tried to run away whenever she got to close, and they made a circle so large around her that she practically had five seats for herself at dinner.

Celestia, on the other hand, was used to be feared to some degree, you did not declare yourself sovereign of a country and expect to be treated as an equal. At first she and Luna were feared because they could turn out to be worse than Discord, as improbable as that was, then after the Nightmare disaster they feared her for her power and now, to be honest, she wasn’t even sure why they were still afraid of her, ‘For the love of the sun, Twilight nearly completely ruined the town in a panic attack… am I a tyrant?’.

Celestia's internal debate went on for so long that she didn’t even noticed that she and Louise were already in class. Earth magic lessons if she wasn't mistaken.

“Did you really have to do that Celestia?” That brought her attention back to Louise who was looking relay uncomfortable. ”I’m talking about Guiche.” Louise clarified as the sun princess only gave her a questioning look.

“Well, I could hardly just let him hit the poor maid, could I?” Celestia said with a disapproving look towards Louise. “Although I can see why you ask.” Indeed she could, because looking around she could see that no one dared to come near them, many of the students chose to pile up at the edges of the shared desks then use the empty seats next to the duo.

The teacher chose that moment to enter the class and she didn’t like what she saw. “Now we all know of the incident that happened to the young sir Gramont but that is no reason to make a scene like this. It's not like anyone here is actively trying to hurt miss Vallière.” At that, the students only got more nervous and Celestia unmistakable observed guilt in their eyes. It was very clear that this bullying has gone on for long, and now that there was something that could punish them for that they were very wary around the little girl. Well they didn’t have to know that she was friendly just yet.

“TAKE YOUR SEATS OR I WILL FILL YOU MOUTHS WITH CLAY!” Came the surprising shout from the teacher and after a quick mental debate the students chose Celestia's potential danger to be the lesser evil.

“Now that wasn’t so hard, was it?” She said returning to her sweet-old-lady persona, ”Now, let me introduce myself, I am Professor Chevreuse. My runic name is the ‘Red Earth’ and I will be your teacher othen what about f earth magic for this year. Now, can someone review for me what are the basic elements and why is earth special among them?”

At first no one seemed in the mood to answer until Louise herself lifted her hand. “The five Elements are Earth, Water, Fire, Wind and Void. Earth is special because it’s main use is to create and build in a way none of the other elements can.”

“That is correct miss Vallière.” Professor Chevreuse took out three pebbles and pointed her staff at them. “REM IN YON” The stones started to glow brightly and in the next instant the pebbles were gone and replaced with brass.

“Is that Gold?” Kirche said while jumping out of her seat and leaned forward.

“No miss Zerbst, that would make me a strong square class mage.” the Teacher looked a bit embarrassed. “Sadly I’m only a triangle class.”

To Celestia that statement didn’t really mean anything as she was too busy analysing the small brass pieces that were on the podium, the main thing that interested here was that, despite not sensing any more magic in them, they didn’t seem to be turning back into pebbles. Normally, when cut off from the magic of the caster, the transmutated object would immediately snap back into its initial state, this did not seem to be the case here. Already Celestia's mind was coming up with ideas on how to use that, setting up permanent portals and training mages to excel in transmutation and sending them over to created materials that were needed. ‘Look at me, I am supposed to be on vacations and here I am coming up with plans to make Equestria greater.’ Celestia thought as she chuckled to herself.

“What’s so funny?” Louise asked her.

“Nothing, just thinking about something.” She replied.

“Miss Vallière!” The stern voice of the Teacher came from the podium. ”Why don’t you give us a demonstration?”

Celestia felt a bit sorry that Louise got called out because of her, however what she didn’t understand was the sudden panic that spread around the class in a explosive manner.

“No don’t!”

“Please don’t let the Zero cast anything!”

“Louise you won’t cast anything, right?”

Left and right the Students were trying to stop Louise from casting.

“SILENCE!” Again the teacher brought back order to the class.

“Professor Chevreuse, do you know what happens when Louise cast spells?” Kirche asked the teacher who had readied another trio of stones.

“All I know is that she is a very hard worker and always gives her best, now take your seat and be silent.” defeated Kirche followed the instructions. “Now Miss Vallière please come forward.” The girl in question moved forward and readied her wand. “Now remember the words ‘Rem in yon’ and focus on your willpower.”

Louise took a deep breath, pointed her wand at the stones and chanted, ”R-REM IN YON.

Again, bright light started to radiate from the stones but Celestia immediately noticed that something was going wrong, the magic was fluctuating wildly and was barely stable for a few seconds before the spell fell apart, and instead of the desired effect, there was now free magic charged into stones in a world that reacted completely hostile to it.

The resulting explosion shook the whole building, knocked the teacher out cold and laid waste to the rest of the classroom. Celestia herself barely managed to cover herself with her wings.

At the epicenter stood Louise, with her clothes and hair a mess, cleaning herself with a handkerchief and looking like that was a completely normal occurrence.

“Damn it Zero! I knew this would happen!” An angry and shaken Kirche screamed out after she got herself out from under the remains of her table.

“I made a slight mistake.” Louise answered while averting her eyes.

“A SLIGHT MISTAKE!?” Kirche screamed back. ”That’s why I didn’t want you to cast a spell, your success rate is still ZERO! Louise the ZERO! You should just...” Anything else she tried to say was interrupted by a loud stomp and a glare from Celestia. “Whatever, I’ll just go.” And so she and the other students made their way out of class leaving only an Alicorn, a student and a knocked out teacher inside.


The rest of the day was spent in silence, the school healer didn’t ask any questions when Celestia levitated an unconscious teacher into the infirmary, the fact that she was walking with Louise seemed to explain everything.

Louise herself simply looked depressed, she was trying not to show it but to Celestia, who literally spend more than a millennium reading her far better trained political opposition, it was like reading an open book.

It also explained a great deal, why Louise was so happy summoning her, how she avoided speaking about her own magical talent in the conversations, and the bullying. While bullies normally didn’t need a reason this time it was painfully obvious why Louise was the target.

Celestia had to question the intelligence of attacking someone who one day could snapp and literally blow everything to tartarus.

It also fired up her interest in this world's magic, so she thoroughly started to analyze every mage she came across.

What she found was fascinating.

Apparently every human mage had a core similar to that of a pony, but there was one very big difference. Every pony core she had come across barely told her anything about what type of pony she was looking at. She could discriminate earth ponies, pegasus and unicorns, and could tell the amount of raw power at their disposal, but even that could be misleading as that would only tell her how much the pony has access at the moment, not the total amount they truly had. That, for example, was the reason why no one had any idea of Twilight raw power until she herself unleashed it by accident.

Humans where a whole different story. With just one look she could write whole books about the person the core belonged to. She looked at the core of the red haired girl by the name of Kirche, it was like a raging fire, consuming, destructive and aggressive. It felt like standing in an inferno. Her shorter, blue haired friend was like the polar opposite, it felt like standing of the top of a mountain made of ice, one wrong step and she would be falling into a never ending abyss. And it felt cold, Oh. So. Cold. Every falling piece of snow was pressing into her like the tip of a spear of ice.

They were so numerous, and no one was comparable to another. Every time Celestia looked into a new one she felt dirty for she was looking into what was essentially the soul of said person.

But the most disturbing thing that she saw was the core or her little summoner, Louise. Every single core could to some degree tell her the elemental alignment of said person but Louise.

She had none.


Louise felt horrible, she believed because her summoning spell had succeeded she would be able to successfully cast other spells to.

But no, the universe had to give her false hope by sending her a familiar who was better at magic than her in an attempt to mock her.

The familiar in question had left her after leaving the teacher with the medic, saying that she had something to do. As if! Louise could only think about how Celestia probably didn’t want anything to do with her since she found out how hopeless she was, not that she could blame her, after all she was used to people giving up on her. Her parents did after it became apparent that she had not talent with magic, to her big sister she was only an annoyance, she had listened when people were mocking Eleanor because her relation with her, and even her teachers gave up after half a year. The only good thing was that some like professor Colbert at least tried. But all private lessons and encouragements were wasted.

Louise the Zero, for zero success. The more she heard it the more she started to believe it herself. What was even the point of continuing with all of that?

She didn’t even realize where she was going while her mind was slowly descending into depression, and only after colliding with something soft she was brought back to her senses.

She looked up to see Celestia smiling down on her. “My, my, someone is deep in thought.” The alicon said jokingly. Louise didn’t feel like joking at all and just averted her gaze.

Celestia had to flinch a bit at that, Louise was really not feeling well.

“Louise, would you mind accompanying me for a while?” Celestia asked in the softest voice she could do.

“Not in the mood.” Louise said meekly but as she tried to walk past her she got blocked of by a white wing.

“Trust me, it's going to be worth you time.” Celestia pressed on.

Louise was a bit annoyed as she just wanted to go to her room but agreed and started to follow her familiar. After leaving the academy walls, and a bit of walking, Louise found herself in a clearing with a tree stump in the middle of it. On it laid three small stones that were about the same size of the ones she had blown up earlier the day. Immediately her mood darkened at that. She knew what Celestia was planning, she already tried training the spells countless of times and the results always where the same. Louise was not in the mood to do so again and tried to leave.

Again, Celestia stood in her way with a bright smile.”What is the point?” Louise asked with a downed expression. ”It will just blow up again.”

“Louise, I promise you it will not, please just have a bit of faith in me.” After a half-a-minute staring contest where she dared Celestia to just show one dishonest streak, Louise finally gave in and pulled out her wand.

She walked to the stones and started chanting halfheartedly, ”REM IN YON.” Again, for a few seconds, they started to glow and Louise closed her eyes waiting for the inevitable. She waited, and waited, for what seemed to be a eternity.

Finally she had enough and ripped her eyes open. There they lay the three small stones surrounded by a pinkish glow, mind you they were still stones, but there was no explosion, they just continued to glow in a pinkish hue and gave off a strange soft sound.

Of all things that could have happened that was not what the small girl was expecting. ”This confirms my theory.” Celestia said next to her. Louise only continued to stare questioningly.

Celestia continued to smile and a glow surrounded her horn, suddenly a strange golden light was visible all around them, ”This is a barrier that I created prior to our arrival, it has only one goal, to cage the ambient magic that I created and prevent it from reaching the outside.”

The alicorn lifted the pebbles in her own magic, “When I arrived here one of the things that really fascinated me was the way your magic works, because it was so different from my own. It intrigued me how all of your mages combine raw magic with their elements to create their spells, but there is something I found that was very strange to me.” Celestia explained as she walked to the edge of the barrier and pointed Louise to follow.

”It was how your world reacted to magic itself what didn’t stop bothering me. While the spells that your kind created are vast and numerous, all of them are linked to a element no matter if it is a healing spell, one for flight or one for transmutation. To me that was very strange because, you see, I don’t have an element at all. If I were to cast a fire spell I would have to start shaking the very atoms until there was fire.” Louise only looked more confused at that but Celestia continued before she could ask any question. ”You may not understand that, but let's just say that it is a lot more complicated than just waving my horn and imagining fire, that said, let me show you what happened when I attempted to cast a spell after I was brought here by your summoning.” At that Celestia took one of the stones and loaded it with magic until it was glowing in a golden hue, instead of a pink one, and launched it out of the barrier. With high speed it managed to fly for several meters before exploding so violently that Louise dropped on the ground from the impulse. “And now for comparison, your spells.” The alicorn said before throwing the pink glowing stones and again the explosion was massive.

“Another thing that really confused me was, why was I the one you summoned? You told me that the spell choses an ideal partner for the summoner, what kind of help could I, an alicorn, give a young human girl whose magic system is so fundamentally different from our own?” Celestia looked back at Louise, “Only now I understand, you Louise Vallière, like me and every other unicorn have no elemental affinity at all.” Celestia started to circle the still downed Louise who could only listen with her eyes glued to Celestia “I, my dear Louise, am a teacher. I have thought many, some of them were the most talented of their generation, some were called the most talentless of their generation but no matter who they were or where they came from at the end they left my care as some of the strongest mages ever seen.”

Celestia got on the ground to look Louise directly in the eyes. “Louise, would you like to be my student?”