• Published 27th Aug 2015
  • 2,238 Views, 30 Comments

The Struggle Within - B_25



It's Spike's 17th birthday. A party so awesome, you might think it's his last!

  • ...
11
 30
 2,238

Chapter 7: Awakening

“Hey!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. Who stood over Spike. “You have a new Spike on your back?” The surprisement of growing a new Spike overridden any questions Spike had - where he was; what happened, or about his dream.

“Really?!” Spike asked. Looking over his shoulder unto his back - a slap from a blue hoof brought his head before Dash’s.

“No, you dimbus! Where the heck have you been?” Spike lowered his head - his previous thoughts flowing back. It came back as a headache.

“I don’t even no Dash.” Spike words came out muffled, his claw obscuring his mouth. This position helped him think.

Dash contemplated hitting him once more. Just to make sure his thoughts are in order, y’know? she thought. But pain won’t bring any more answers - even of it’s fun. Dash sighed, and took a seat next to Spike.
What happened? Spike thought. His mind was empty, yet he continued to ponder. The thoughts… the urges. The same ones that emerged from my first greed outburst. Although I didn’t tell anyone the voice didn’t go away, it did stay quiet, and rarely spoke. So why the sudden outburst? And why is it so harder to control this time around?

In between Spike’s claws, did he noticed Dash sat beside him. She looks annoyed, Spike thought. Yet he sat there, silently waiting for Spike to piece everything together -- that made Spike feel good.

I’ve been acting differently, and I’m not entirely in control of what I do. I feel like a puppet on strings. I can try telling the others that nothing is going on, that this is merely all an act of puberty, but I doubt they would buy it. That dream… Virus… Wirl… Purple vs. Green. I’m not sure what to think of it all, and if I even began to ponder, then Dash would be waiting all day.

“You made the girls worry, y’know.” Spike looked left, where Dash looked at a tree. “You caused Twilight to have a brain shut down in the morning, to smash a guy through a building at lunch, and made us worried till dinner.”

Rainbow Dash finally looked at Spike. “It’s not nice to make your friends worry, Spike.” The delicate matter caused Dash’s throat to swell. She calmed herself down and breathed normally.

Spike raised a claw; trying to speak. They died in his throat.

I’m sorry, Dash.

Luckily for Dash, she had stopped before any baby tears could reach her eyes. She stood, looking at the drake who was as tall as her while sitting down. Dash cocked her head in direction of Ponyville. “Come on, Spike. I wasn’t lying about the others worrying about you.”

*SNAP*

I don’t want your worries.

Spike stood as well. “You girls shouldn’t of worried about me.”

Dash raised a brow, turning and giving a scoff. “When you teleport away with tears in your eyes: that’s a good reason for anyone to worry about you.” Dash took a second look at Spike. They all have been worried sick about him; looking everywhere for him. And he says that.

Dash found herself pissed off at the dragon. “Regardless of what you feel - it’s getting late, and you should get home.”

Spike winched at once again, he did something that was not of him. Yet, talking back did make him feel good.

In fact, I feel a little lighter.

Watching Rainbow Dash lead the way back to town, with frown on her face.

But, that wasn’t right, about how I treated Dash. Yet, I don’t find myself really regretting it.

With a dragon who didn’t know how to feel, along with a disappointed pegasus, made their way home.


Through the woods. Past the cottage that injured animals took refuge in. On the dirt trail that led to town, all in silence did Spike & Rainbow Dash walk.

Spike didn’t know what to think about; what was the right way or wrong way to act. And Dash, as stubborn as she was, saw the uncertainty in the dragon. Yet she was still angry at Spike for how he had acted.

Seriously, Dash began to think, he smashes a guy, starts panicking about what’s going on, and teleports without telling us anything. Then he makes it out that we were over worrying! Twilight’s right-- Dash looked at Spike, who walked with no expression-- something not right about him, and I plan to get to the bottom of it.

“So, Spike--”

Spike took a step backwards: just in time to avoid a pink haze.

*THUD!!*

Pinkie stood back on her hooves, spitting out dirt and rock she ate. “Blah!” she splat. She then looked up to Spike. “Why did you move out of the way, Spike? I was going to give you a great big hug!”

Spike backed away further, averting his gaze. “I’m not really in the mood for hugs.”

Pinkie lowered her head. “Oh…”

Tch!

Spike made a fist, he had done it again. And yet again, it felt right to him. He cast these thoughts aside as he noticed his friends not far away.

Twilight & Rarity teleported; Applejack ran as fast as she could, and Fluttershy flew as soon as they saw their scaly friend. They were rejoiced to see Spike, but the feeling was not mutual.

“Spike!!” Twilight yelled. Wrapping her hooves around Spike, unable to fully reach around. Despite noticing this difference, she kept hugging the dragon.

Spike sighed, but was happy to see Twilight. He to wrapped his arms around her. The two hugged, not saying a word, just simply glad to see one another. Though Spike broke off the hug upon seeing all the eyes.

Aren’t they just scary, Spike?

Spike coughed, taking his mind off Virus.

Twilight looked up at Spike, fully realizing how big he’d grown. She sat on her haunches, a loss for words. “Spike.”

Spike closed his eyes. “Yeah?”

“Why are you so big… what happened to you today?” Twilight hovered up to him, gently prying his eye open. “Be honest.”

Look’s like I’m going to go with it.

“An act of puberty, Twi,” Spike said. Twilight studied him harder.

“What do you mean by that?” Rainbow asked. Stepping closer to Spike.

“I woke up this morning feeling strange, like I wasn’t entirely myself. It felt like there was something controlling me.” Spike rose a claw, promptly closing Dash’s mouth. “I wouldn’t say my greed is kicking in, but I know something's not right about me.”

Spike dropped his claw, sighing. He looked back up at his friends, smiling. “Listen. I’m fine, alright? I’m probably just going through a dragon’s puberty. I mean, we don’t know too much about those. But”- Spike pointed a claw at himself -“I’ll be able to handle it! I just, need to think a little.”

The girls did not know how to feel. They spent the day looking for Spike - they expect to find him crying about earlier. But, this was different. Spike was taller and acting weird. They did not know what to take from the situation.

In the midst of the their confusion, Spike used it as a scapegoat. “Anyway, I thank you all for looking for me - oh! And thank you for the presents, but I really should get home and catch up on my free time.”

I should also check if Joseph is okay as well.

Spike began to jog. “I’ll catch you girls later!” Spike said. Waving as he jogged home.

The girls looks amongst each other. Waiting for someone to speak, to make sense of the situation. They waited a while, until Applejack lowered her stenstion to cover her eyes.

“Spike a ‘mighty good actor,” Applejack said. “But he ain’t no good at fooling others.” Applejack raised the station, looking over at Twilight. “Twi, when you were speaking earlier of how Spike was acting weird, I took it as you over reacting. Kids & teens act weird. But Spike, that dragon’s hiding something.”

“You’re telling me!” Rainbow exclaimed. Flying over Applejack. “When I found him, passed out over a pile of broken branches, he had the aud-audict--”

“Audacity?” Twilight helped.

“Yeah!” Dash said. “The audacity to say we were overly reacting!” That comment caused the group to turn a little bitter. The group thinking what was going on with this dragon.

“Umm.” Everyone turned Fluttershy. “I don’t think was entirely lying about the puperty. I mean, while Spike is a dragon, he also sophisticated like a pony too. While his current actions are rude, I wouldn’t throw away the possibility that Spike is simply going through a stage.”

Twilight took interest at a certain pebble by her hoof. I’d like to believe Fluttershy. But what if what’s happening is even worse, what if his gree-- Twilight stopped thinking.

“I’m personally in favor of dear Fluttershy here,” Rarity said. Talking for the first time in a while. “While Spikey’s behaviour is beyond questionably, our dear Spikey-Wikey has not given as any concern over these last few years. If anything, he’s been more than helpful, giving more than what he is taking. I think we should at least trust the poor drake before debating about what to do with him.”

Fluttershy & Pinkie nodded their heads in agreement. Twilight, Applejack and Rainbow Dash did it abit more reluctantly.

“I suppose there ain’t nothin’ wrong with giving the dragon a few days to clear his head. But we’ll be keeping a close eye on him for any funny business.” Applejack was looking at Twilight during her speech.

Twilight's ears dropped, nodding at what Applejack said.

Looking to the dropping sun, Applejack smiled. “Look’s like we had a fun day - I hadn’t realized how late it was.” Applejack looked at the ground. “Big mac’s probably going to kill me.”

Everyone watch as the sun came closer to the earth. Twilight smiled at such a sight, and turned to her friends. “Thank you all for all your help today. I’m sure Spike is thankful as well, if he weren’t going through a stage--” Twilight bowed “-- I’m sorry for how Spike acted.”

Rainbow Dash ruffled Twilight’s mane, laughing. “No reason to apologize, Twilight. Besides, it’s not you who acted like a dork.”

“Even still.” Twilight rose her head. “Thank you.”

Everyone smiled at Twilight, each giving their welcomes. Soon after, everyone made their way back home.


The sun met the earth by the time Twilight returned to the Golden Oaks library. She stood before the door, taking deep, slow breaths, before entering.

Twilight’s jaw had trouble closing. The books on the shelf were laserlined & apalathized. The smell of vinegar came from the floor, and a stack of clean coffee cup (which Twilight used plenty of last night) sat in the sink, ready to be put away. That’s where Twilight found Spike, putting away the dishes in a pink apron that was smaller on him.

“Spike,” Twilight said. Entering the kitchen. “What are you doing? Isn’t today your day off?”

Spike placed the stack of coffee cup in the cupboard, closing the wooden cabinet before taking acknowledgement of Twilight. “Well, I was kinda jerk today. And I needed to think; I walk around a lot when I think. So, I thought I might as well clean and think at the same time.”

Twilight quickly wrapped her hoof around Spike for a quick hug. “Thanks Spike. But, that’s not really what I’m wondering.” Twilight chuckled. “You didn’t leave that long ago, how did you mange to do all this in such a short time.”

Spike nervously chuckled, biting at his claw. A small green aura began to form around it - Spike quickly hid it behind his back.

Twilight’s shoulders dropped, as did her cheerful expression.

“Spiiike,” Twilight began. “Why are you hiding your claw behind your back?” she pressed, drawing closer.

Spike forced a smiled, even harder a chuckle. “I wouldn’t say I’m hiding it. It’s, more of an expression!”

“Huh-huh. Mind if I see your claw?”

“Do you really need to?”

“Yes.”

“And if I decline?”
“You’re not going decline.”

Spike’s right arm was shaking; Spike groaning as he brought it fourth.

Twilight saw, a purple, scaly claw.

“Huh,” Twilight said. Furrowing her forehead in surprise. “Sorry Spike. I thought for sure you had been--” The purple, scaly claw, formed a green aura. The same to the like of a unicorn using their magic.

“I knew I wasn’t crazy!” Twilight explained.

Spike blinked in surprise ment, his mouth agape. So he quickly placed his claw into mouth, hiding it. Twilight sighed, hoofplaming herself.

“Spike. I’ve only had to say this when you were a baby, and I regret saying it now that you're a teen. But, Spike, take your claw out of your mouth.”

Spike moaned before complying. Taking the saliva covered claw out from his mouth. It longer had the green aura, which Spike smiled at.

“You’re not fooling me, Spike.” The smile, disappeared. “Now, Spike, do you care to explain why you posses an arua similar to that of magical one the only unicorns and alicorns posses?”

“Yeah, that’s the thing.” Spike rubbed the back of his neck, as if it would take the awareness away. “One of the things I was confused, was when I woke up, I kinda gained magic.”

“You what!!” Twilight exclaimed. She hopped on Spike’s right arm, closely inspecting the claw & arua for every detail.

“Ah, Twilight!” Spike took a deep breath, doing his best to sustain her weight and to keep his right arm straight.

“How-How-How? How does one develop magic overnight, especially when one is of a different species?”

“That one-tch- has a name, y’know.” Spike spoke through clenched teeth, the weight becoming too much. “How much do you weigh now, Twi?” Twilight heard that one - promptly kicking him in the chest and leaping off his arm.

“Spike! What did I say about about when discussing a mare’s weight?”

“Not to do so,” Spike said, with a extended index claw. He sat up from the floor.

“Exactly.” Twilight smiled at Spike. Even more so that her old, childish Spike was back.

Spike used a claw to feel where he was kicked.

Even with scales, ponies kicks still pack a punch.

Seriously, Spike. This is how you’re letting ponies treat--

Spike shook his head, trying to get rid of Virus. Not now, I’m actually having fun.

Virus remained silent, as he had been witnessing negativity to Spike in his younger days.

“I’m going to need you to be my lab dragon after today, to further study your claw.
But,” Twilight paused, to go and sit next Spike, “what can you with it?”

Spike chuckled, feeling confident. “Oh. Almost anything you could do.”

“Oh, you’re sure about that?” Twilight played. Spike smiled - raising his right claw, he cast another elemeread aura over the mop he had been using earlier, and levitated it up. Twilight’s eyes went wide as Spike indeed wasn’t lying about posses magic. Spike levitated the mop to the closet, and closed the door with no difficulty.

“No way, Spike!” Twilight joyed, practically jumping on the spot in excitement. “Do you know how much things are going to change around here! Or how much we can advance the study on dragons and the very essence of magic?!”

“Oh…. Twilight. I’m haven’t shown you anything yet.” Spike rose to his full height. His left claws were moving uncortobly. Spike started to laugh, it started off as a little chuckle, but grew into something Twilight did not like. Twilight swore Spike looked different.

“Let me show you a little more on what I can do,” Spike said. Without looking, Spike summoned his arrua. “I’m afraid I forgot to sweep, but nothing I can’t take care of.”

Uncertain of what Spike was going to do, Twilight placed her trust into Spike, as she sat and waited for whatever was to come to the library.

In the middle of the library began a small gust of wind. It traveled along the the floor: picking up dust, crumbs, small things left on the floor.

Twilight was impressed. Certainly faster and better than a broom, she thought.

The gust as it went along, became bigger and faster, traversing the library at a faster pace.

“That’s cool!” Twilight said. Trying her best to speak over the wind. “But I think you’ve cleaned enough.”

“Oh, no, Twilight,” Spike replied. “I haven’t clean this library nearly enough.” The gust of wind began climbing the stairs, running along the walls to collect dust.

Twilight rubbed her ears. I think Spike just removed my ear wax.

Books were beginning to catch in the whirl of wind. Spike was catching more than just dust, and Twilight’s starting to get scared.

“Spike,” Twilight said, “you can stop now.” Spike, however, wasn’t listening. His smirk grew, as did his magic. Twilight sensing this, stood up on all fours, and took the stance that her mother taught her when children weren’t listening.

Taking a deep breath, Twilight closed her eyes. “SPIKE!”

Spike abruptly shook his head, his mind becoming clear. His eyes went wide at the damage the wind was causing - ceasing it.

“Sorry, Twi,” Spike apologized. Not taking his eyes off the scattered books across the library's floor. “I’ll clean--”

“No, Spike. I think you’ve done enough.” Twilight winced when she saw the look on Spike’s face. Head down, claws lower, Spike always did that when felt guilty over something he did. Sighing, Twilight patted Spike on the back. “Everyone makes mistakes, Spike. And we’ve had a long day, so why don’t you go rest up with a nice bath?” Spike left without saying a word.

Twilight watched him ascend the stairs.

Poor Spike, Twilight thought. She lit up her horn, levitating all the knocked down books to their proper places on the shelves. But her mind still dwelled on the metal crisis Spike was going through.


Upstairs, Spike calmly opened the door to his room, took a step in, proceeded to close and lock the said door. And took a seat at his writing/reading table. He then smashed down both claws unto the table.

“Who does she think she is!” Spike shouted. He winced at being a little too loud, not wanting to be heard by the subject of his rant. So Spike took the rant inward.

I could of handle it! I just got a little too invest in my magic is all. Seriously, she always complaing about how I don’t clean up after my messes, and then she doesn’t allow me to clean up after that one. Why doesn’t she make up her mind.

You should start fighting your rights more often. Actually standing up for yourself does improve confidence.

What’s the point? I’ll just get ignored, or everyone will take it as a ‘rebellious’ stage. It’s bull.
They’ll just find me again, make me feel guilty and bring me back. Plus, there’s no guarantee I’ll even survive on my own.

Than not why not just take my power, and let your hatred out?

What is this power anyway?

We both know what it is, Spike.

Spike lowered his head, clasping his claws together.

So why not just take it, and live out all your desires?

You know why I can’t, Virus.

I get it. I really do! You need a reason, right? Well, think about this: creation cannot come before destruction.

While it does sound good, being able to destroy and claim it as a positive - that’s completely delusion, Virus. And you know it.

I know. But you know things can’t stay the same around here, Spike. Your changing, your temper is becoming hot. You’re overreacting from Twilight said earlier. Sooner or later, you’re going to blow, and do something you should’ve a long time ago.

I’m not overreacting. I’m just frustrated and all. Besides, all I need to do is be in control of myself; of my mind and of my actions, and then I can stay in Ponyville for as long as I like.

Keep the illusion real, Spike. You’ll show your true colors soon enough.

Spike decided to end the conversion in his mind. Chuckling at the reminder when it was only him up there. Spike yawned and looked out his window, where he saw a Rainbow Dash staring at him, a hoof under her chin. She quickly yelped at spotting, as if a red exclamation mark were over his head. She hid against the tree, next to the window.

How did Spike know this? For it was the mane that Rainbow had grown longer, making itself present to the right of the window. Spike leaned back in his seat in laughter - scaring himself as his seat tipped over. He stopped laughed and regained his balance.

Spike got up from his seat and open his window. Leaning on the still, he spoke. “Nice night for spying, isn’t it, Rainbow?”

“How did you know I was here?”

Spike looked at Dash. “I like have you’ve grown out your mane, you should keep it.”

Dash huffed, sweeping her mane left.

“What are you doing here anyway, Dash? Twilight’s friends are always welcomed here, even after closed.”

Besides, we don’t want that whole book incident happening twice.

“I’m not here for Twilight,” Dash said. “I here to keep an eye on you, Spike.” Dash intended to be menacing, but, Spike took it another way.

Ohh! Was she hoping I just hopped out of the shower?

“To make sure you didn’t create another mess like today.”

Aw.

“Then I have to say, don’t take being a spy as a career,” Spike said. “I’ve already made a mess downstairs for Twilight to clean.”

“Oh,” Dash said. “Is that why you hit your desk earlier?”

Spike tinged. “You saw that?”

“Yep,” Dash nodded. With that confident smile she always wore. “I also saw you staring at your two claws. And I mean staring, really, really hard.”

“Ohh! I was just uh.” Spike paused. Looking around nervously. “Oh! I was just thinking of a really hard math problem, y-y’know.”

Dash hovered, crossing her forehooves. She wasn’t buying like Spike would hope.

“What I know,” Dash began, “is that I’m the best on making excuses on the spot. And-” Rainbow Dash came closer to Spike “-aren’t you supposed to be thinking hard about something else?”

“Well,” Spike said. Nervously Scratching at his neck as he retreated a step backwards.

A knock at the door scared Spike into the air. He quickly stepped back, using his frame to cover the window.

“Spike,” Twilight said from behind the door. “Are you in there? Another set of approvals came in, so I’m probably going to pull allnighter going through them. I made us coffee, so can I come in?”

Spike’s tail went to full length from behind to nervous, accidentally sweeping by Rainbow Dash.
“Heey!” Dash shouted. “What do you think-- HMPF!” Dash rant was cut short by Spike’s tail, wrapping around her muzzle.

“Sure, T-Twi,” Spike said. His voice cracking, betraying his concern.

No, idiot! I should’ve told her to leave the tray outside. Stupid!

Don’t be too hard on yourself, Spike. Everyone does make mistakes, as Twilight says.

You’re reminding me of that now! You son of--

Hey hey hey! There’s three of us in here - keep it kid friendly!

“Spike, are you feeling okay?” Twilight asked. Opening the door, she hovered a green tray with two white mugs. The letter ‘T’, was coloured in purple on the left mug. ‘S’, in green, on the other.

The T mug contain milky brown coffee; The ‘S’ mug contained coffee as black as a midnight on a moonless night.

“HMM! HMP! HMPF!” Rainbow Dash tried to speak, but loud hums were all that came.

I can’t let Twilight see her.

Using his tail, Spike moved Dash against the tree, perhaps a little too fast as Dash groaned in pain.

Sorry! But… it did feel pretty good; being able to hold a pegasus with my tail alone.

“I mean, I know you’re still worried about all that has happened today,” Twilight said. She placed the tray on his desk before looking back at him. “But you’re voice just cracked, and I could’ve sworn you were talking to yourself.”

Spike did his best to look solely on his coffee mug. But that failed when he knew Twilight was watching him, probably studying him. He looked at Twilight, doing his best to keep his composure.

“You wouldn’t be talking to a voice, that, only you could hear-” Twilight tilted her head, her eyes glistering. “-right?”

Spike closed his eyes, trying to formulate a excuses to get him out of this mess.

Oh, Twilight, you’ve finally acknowledge me! Oh, if only I could speak to you, the things... I would say. Spike, bud, why don’t you just take me up on this deal already.

A worried unicorn in front of me; a angry pegasus behind me. I’m going to remember today.
Spike opened his eyes as he sighed. “Look, Twi. Sometimes when I think, I say my thoughts outloud. I swear I’m fine - just need some alone time is all.”

Twilight looked sad. Dropping her head and sighing. She raised it with a nod, and gave the best fake smile she could. “Alright, Spike,” she said. “I trust. But, remember, my ear is always open for listening, no matter the time, alright?”

Spike smiled. “Alright, Twilight.”

Twilight continued to smiled, levitating Spike’s mug off the tray and carefully onto the table. She picked up the tray, and left Spike’s room. Spike waited until he heard hoofsteps going down the stairs before he let go of Rainbow Dash.

“What big idea, Spike!?” Rainbow asked. Spitting as if something yucky got in her mouth.

“What are you spitting for for!” Spike replied. “My tail didn’t even enter your mouth.”

“Still, having your tail crush my mouth isn’t pleasant.”

“Sorry, sorry.” Spike raised his claws in surrender. Then he smirked. “Could’ve much worse - I could've used my tongue.”

“Unfortunately, Spike, we don’t share the same fetishes.”

Spike lost that smirk.

Y’know, out of all your fake friends, Rainbow was my favorite. For things like these. I mean, the others make me want to get revenge for you, but Dash always made me laugh along her. Most of the time, that is.

“Anyway, it’s kinda foolish to talk through a window,” Spike said. Pointing a claw back into his room. “Wanna come in?”

Dash smiled as she flew in. “Don’t mind if do.” She bumped into Spike, forcing him to move out of the way as she landed. Spike subdued a growl.

Huh. I think that’s the first time she’s flown into the library without breaking the place.

“You know,” Dash said. Taking a seat on Spike’s bed and lying down. “I think that’s the first time I flew in here without breaking a window.” She stretched all four limbs as far as she could. Sighing in relief as they reached their limits, Dash got comfortable in Spike’s bed.

Wow. We were actually thinking alike. Wait, she’s using my bed!

Spike opened his mouth to complained, but stopped.

Dash lay on Spike’s bed. Hooves tucked in, her mane covering her left eye. Her wings were at her sides - slightly raising along with her each breath. They were straight and clean, probably thanks to recent preening. Plus, that smile that said she was doing something she wasn’t supposed to made Spike heart ache at sight.

Dash noticed this. “What are you looking at?” she asked. But not in a way that made her seem irritated. She sounded almost playful.

“Nothing much,” Spike asked. Trying to keep it cool. He went over to his desk and took a seat in his chair. He picked up the ‘S’ lettered mug.

“You take it black?” Dash asked, condescending.

“Yep,” Spike replied. Not bothering to blow on it as he took a sip.

“Wow, so you take it black, and you don’t even blow,” Dash mused. “You weird dragon.”

“Thank’s for the update,” Spike sneered. “And I’m about to only get a whole lot weirder.” Spike coughed on his coffee after realizing his mistake.

Dash frowned. She sat up from her ever so comfortable spot, and looked Spike deep in they eyes.

“Spike,” she asked. With a voice that came from deep within.

“Yeah,” he gently answered. Placing his coffee on the table.

“What’s going on with you, Spike?”

Spike looked away.

“Spike,” she tried again, the voice connected to her heart.

Spike lightly groaned, unable to look away. He looked at Dash with slumped shoulders. “Dash. I really want to talk to you - to take Twilight up on offer. But, what I have going on up here”- Spike pointed to his head- “is something I barely understand myself. And, if I tell you girls, then I think that’ll make you that more scared of me.”

Dash chuckled. “I have to be scared of you first in order to do that.”

“Dash…”

“But Spike. Not telling me what’s really going is scaring me more than you not telling me.”

Spike stood up from his chair, a claw against his cheek as if his head were to fall off. “What if I tell you causes you to be scared of me? To abdom me. Or, what I’m more afraid of, to hurt me?”

“Spike...” Rainbow said. She got up from the bed, and stood on her hind legs. “The only time I would hurt you, is for your own good.” She walked closer.

Well. That’s a lie.

Spike winced; Virus was right. Still, he held out hope as Dash approached him.

“But Spike, whatever you tell me: it’s all right. If you told you murder some pony, I’d tell you that the Everfree Forest is the best place the hide the body. The Timberwolves would definitely help destroy the evidence. All I ask is you bring the shovel.” Dash looked up, only to see a confuse Spike with a slightly shut left eye.

Dash giggled as she flew up to poke him on the snout. “What I’m trying to say, Spike. Is no matter what’s going on with you, I’ll be here to help you out.”

“If you’re a little loony, then I’ll knock some sense into you. If you’re feeling down, then I’ll carry you to the sky. I’m the element of Loyalty, you know.”

Spike couldn’t help himself - he threw his arms around the hovering Rainbow Dash, hugging her close to his chest, abit tight.

Dash, at first, fought against it, it being instical for her to defend against surprise attacks.

“Spi-ike, buddy,” Dash choked. Still keeping her hooves held up high. “I’m not really one for--” Rainbow Dash noticed that Spike’s eyes were closed, and that he was smiling. Something warmed up inside of her, as she sighed happily.

Dash looked to the door, to check it was indeed closed. And at the window, to make sure no one was spying on Spike like she had earlier. All that was there was a pictacular owl, perched upon a branch with his head turned. To only eyes in the room were Spike’s & Rainbow Dash’s.

Dash gave up the struggle. Letting her legs drop, and putting her hooves around Spike - just able to fully wrap them around his frame.

And so, the dragon and pegasus hugged. A hug that they both enjoyed, but would never admit due to their pride. But it would be safe to say that the two became closer on this night.

Spike, good Sir. While it must feel great to hug a mare other than your sister, I would much rather prefer you rather not tell miss Rainbow Dash of all our stories. For I like to think as uniquely ours, and sometimes, sharing isn’t caring.

Spike elicited to ignore Virus for the time being. Spike for the past few years, had been isolated in room: reading & writing. He didn’t really friends, either. Sure, he had Pip & Snails, and the humours Joseph. But his meetings with them were scarce, and, while they did give him a good laugh. They were never really there for him, to talk, to listen, to simply be there.

Spike didn’t blame them. Everybody now a days were busy. Training; reading; working. When ponies did have free time, they wanted to spend having fun. That’s the logic Spike used, to help him feel better when the mane six unintentionally hurt him. The fear of being forgotten; that he didn’t belong; that third wheel that nobody wants, but are forced to bring along. Spike thought a lot about those fear.

Go where you're celebrated, Spike. Not where your tolerated.

Looking down at her, Dash’s eyes were closed. She was softly humming. “Everything’s going to be okay. Everything is cool.”

Spike blinked. He never hung out with Rainbow Dash on his own. He never hung out with any of them unless Twilight was around. But here, he had Dash - Rainbow Dash, hugging him. Spike felt like he belonged.

My fear, is being useless; not needed. That I’ll be forgotten, and glad was gone.

To be a hero, is to be needed, to be wanted! But, the hero act doesn’t really work around here. So how else do I find my belonging?

Spike. Friends. True, friends, make you feel like you belong. They give you compassion, free you from your suffering so that you may achieve happiness.

But what if your friends are busy?

Then they aren’t true friends. Merely acquaintances.

What if I want a friend to be there for me? To listen to each others worries, to go to places together. Heck, to even chill! For me to sit at my table, writing a report. While Rainbow Dash lays on a bed and catches up on the latest Daring do.

Then what you are looking for, Spike. Is a partner.

Whoa-huh?

Some to understand you; respect you. Give you your mental needs - something you haven’t recived for most of your life. Spike, don’t forget my true purpose is to help you.

Spike’s mind shot blanks. His mind not allowing him to think, or maybe it was unable to think. The revelation of a long await answer blew Spike’s mind.
Rainbow started to stir in him arms, singling that the hug was over. Spike let go, nodding. “Thanks, Rainbow Dash.”

Dash dismissively waved a hoof. “Ehh. Don’t worry about,” Dash said, returning to the bed. “We all need hugs, from time to time, even yours truly.” Dash pointed at herself with a hoof.

Spike once again took a seat upon his - delivering a well earned sigh. He looked at the wooden ceiling above his head, before stirring conversation with Dash.

“Hey, Rainbow?”

“Yo.”

“Say, Twilight wanted to do reports, but she wanted somepony to keep her company. Would you stay with her, even if all it was reading a book, and maybe talking a few time?”

“Are you saying this because Twilight’s feeling lonely?”

“No, I’m merely asking this for-” Spike took a breath. “-curiosity sake.”

“Oh, well. I suppose if a had the day off,” Dash began. Placing a hoof on her chin as she pondered. “Yeah. Just hanging, not really doing much, is cool with me.”

“Huh.” Spike nodded his head. Then another thought occurred. “What if, Twilight asked you to do it daily?”

“Daily, huh?” Dash repeated. She played it out once more in my head. “Well, Twilight is a good friend, any I’d do anything to save her. But, if all she’s feeling is slight discomfort, then I’m afraid I’ll pass.”

“That’s understandable,” Spike said. He took another sip of coffee. Frowning at it’s coldness, he decided to place it back onto the table.

“I mean, if Twilight’s really wants someone to be there for her, then shouldn’t she find a special somepony?” Dash titled her head. That’s what special some ponies are for, right? Dash continue to think on it.

Spike watched Dash closely, as he thought.

Would Dash make a good mare friend? I mean, she’s definitely attractive for a pony standers-- Spike mentally slapped himself. Stop that Spike, you shouldn’t be thinking about Dash in that way, especially in a way that would benefit yourself.

Dash too, found herself looking at Spike. The two were so deep in thought, that they didn’t realize they’ve been looking directly at each other.

In her mind, Dash thought.

I’ve never really thought about what a special somepony is. I guess I’ve never really cared. But, I guess it’s someone who sticks around, right?

“Hey, wait a moment,” Dash said. Snapping out of her thoughts “Aren’t you supposed to be telling me what’s going on with you lately?”

“Oh yeah,” Spike groaned. Where the heck am I even going to start.

Rainbow sat with a leg crossed and a hoof supporting her chin. Her ultimate position for detecting lies. Spike was skewered if he tried making any false moves. He had also promise to tell her everything, so no way he could back out. Blowing out some air, Spike began his tale.


The slam from down stairs, signifying that Twilight had fell asleep on her overnight approvals, confirmed that Spike & Rainbow Dash had been speaking for a lengy amount of time.

Spike spoke mostly with his eyes closed, a claw in front of them to make sure he couldn’t see what expression Dash had. He was honestly scared she was going to laugh at the stupidness of his story, or fly out of the room and get Spike check into the nearest Asylum.

“Then I woke up, and you were standing over me. That picture sums up everything that’s happened over the last few days,” Spike said. Taking a breath of relief after finishing the long tale.

Boy, they don’t lie when they say you lose weight when you talk.

“Hmm,” Dash hummed. Her eyes were closed as well, her posture staying the same throughout the tale. As rude as it was to say, Dash looked quite intelligent to Spike. While she may not be the smartest around, she was one of the best for picking up emotions.

I told you what I could, Dash. But I had to leave some parts out. It’s hard saying your fears out loud.

Rainbow Dash tried her best to digest all that she heard. Dash’s face, however, proved that some parts were hard to swallow.

“So, I’mma gonna try to explain, what happened to you, in, my own words,” Dash said carefully. She spoke slower, so it would be easier for Spike to understand. Even though she was the one in confusion.

“So, you woke this morning feeling strange. Not because of the presents you received, but because of these strange ‘urges’ inside your head?”

Spike nodded his head.

“And, these ‘urges’, are like, triple the times what a pony feels when they want something.”

“Y-yes. Sort of.”

Dash leaned forward. “What do you mean, ‘sort of?’

Comments ( 3 )

7254478 How did you know?!

Very great interaction with Spike and Dash, very in character.

Why did u cancel it y?:fluttercry::applecry:

Login or register to comment