• Published 26th Feb 2016
  • 904 Views, 21 Comments

The Flower's Grove - Peekaboo



The woods have become different at night...

  • ...
0
 21
 904

Epilogue

“I was so angry. Everything that happened filled me evermore with rage and sorrow. I know that is no longer who I am, but it felt as real as the days when it happened… the Tantabus grew drunk on that power, and I more blind to that fact. That is how it managed to escape to begin with. And yet, every step of the way, it was met with this same pony. Why it visited her alone is beyond my knowledge, but it projected who I was at her: my rage, my fears, my grief, all onto this lone pony. She faced me at my worst every time… by her own choice. She encased herself willingly into my torment, like a time capsule of regret. But she bore through it until I could not feel the hate, the anger, or the sorrow for myself anymore. I cannot forget the fear on her face… I cannot forget what my Tantabus projected onto her. What it… what I… did to her.” Luna wiped a tear from her eye.

“I cannot forgive myself this one. Your student and her friends have done me good, and have helped me forgive myself of my past, but this? This is something different, this is fresh, and new. And I can never truly make it right. My selfishness caused pain to many ponies, but none so suffered through what she has. For me. If only I could find her…”

“That sounds like quite a vision, Luna.” Celestia furrowed her brow. Her sister had been brooding lately, and she finally found an opportunity to get to speak with her about it, but what she was told was not what she’d expected to hear. “Do you know who the pony was?” The carriage they were in rattled across the small cobbled road towards a fast approaching village, and was her only response for a while.

“No,” Luna finally replied. “Try as I may, it is near impossible to know personally every dreamer of Equestria. Even if I tried to seek out her dreams again, I’m uncertain I could. The only concrete thing I can remember is a peculiar scent. It was soft, and sweet like flowers, but sharp and cold as well... But her face, her form and voice elude me. Her dreams are much deeper than most, a different tenor from anypony else’s.”

“How can that be possible? You’ve worked with dreams for millennia, and have never come across dreams as such. At least not that you’ve mentioned.” Celestia’s look of concern intensified as Luna again paused.

“I… I am honestly unsure. I’ve never encountered anything like it before. But there is something more, sister. Whatever this pony did, she removed the last shards left of emotions and ill intent of my time as Nightmare Moon from my heart. I am freed of the internal prison I built myself. All those fears and emotions buried for a thousand years, they’re gone," she explained. "I haven’t felt this good, and yet ironically so horrible, in as long as my memory serves me. And I’ll never be able to thank her for what she may not even know she’s done!” The two sisters frowned, Celestia hugging her distraught younger sister closely as the conversation went quiet for a long time. “I’m glad you convinced me to get out of the castle, sister.” Luna suddenly chirped as she shifted and peered out the carriage’s window. They’d reached the town’s entrance.

“You seemed like you needed some time away.” Celestia smiled graciously, as always. “With the Western Trade Fair open, I figured it a fine opportunity to get out into the fresh air, and maybe even sneak away to do some shopping, like we used to as fillies.” Luna grinned excitedly in agreement, and sniffed at the smell of fresh pies in the air. The carriage soon came to a stop, and the Princesses could hear the announcement of their arrival being belted out over the crowds, to the uproarious cheers of the attendees.

The carriage door was opened gently, and their guards bowed on either side of the carriage door. Celestia emerged first, and Luna followed, making a point to make every step with the poise and grace befitting of a Princess. The cheers seemed as though they’d never end, and Luna’s leg soon grew tired from waving for so long as they passed through the crowd. They were led to the place of honor where two grand seats awaited them.

They were required to sit there for the opening ceremonies, and to judge any disputes, much like at the Traders Exchange at the Rainbow Falls. Luckily enough, the opening ceremonies were relatively short, as ponies were ready to shop and sell. As soon as the formalities were completed and the crowd dispersed, Luna excused herself and her sister in the hopes of having some time to browse the stalls as well.

They passed many things, from hoof carved furniture, books, textiles, artworks and pottery, food, jewelry, rare foliage, a petting zoo and assorted kinds of toys for the little ones. There were so many things that caught the Princess' eyes. Hours were spent browsing the numerous stalls and buying things for themselves or for each other; no disputes were made known to them as the morning turned to afternoon and waned into evening, which they both took as a good sign. As the day drew to a close, Celestia and Luna seated themselves at one of the designated rest areas for a break.

“Are you hungry Luna?” Celestia asked as her own stomach gurgled. She blushed and giggled a little at herself.

“I could certainly eat at this point.” Luna chuckled.

“I’ll ask a servant to set us up a meal.” Rising to her feet, Celestia started off towards her destination.

“I think I’ll await you here.” The younger Princess sighed happily. “It is peaceful beneath the shade of these trees.” With a nod, Celestia went on to procure their meal. Luna watched as her sister left. For the first time in days she felt relatively peaceful, and she was happy. Closing her eyes, she breathed the moment in, and froze. Wafting through the air was a familiar scent. It was sweet, and minty. Her eyes shot open as she caught the smell again coming from a little blue pegasus mare passing by. Jumping to her hooves, Luna quickly meandered over to the pony, who appeared to be packing up her stall for the day.

“How could it be?! The flower! Is it here?” Luna breathed. “Halt! Citizen, please, I must ask you an urgent question.” Luna asked as she reached the stall. The little mare was startled, and dropped a glass candle holder, shattering it at Luna’s feet.

“Oh! Oh dear!” the mare gasped. She curtsied shyly to her Princess and tried to brush the broken pieces of glass together. “I-I’m so s-sorry Princess! I truly hope that you weren’t intending to buy that.”

“Forgive me, dear citizen, I did not mean to startle you.” Luna pursed her lips in embarrassment at the accident she’d caused. “Allow me to help.” Using her magic, Luna lifted all the little pieces onto the counter in a neat pile and smiled apologetically. “I hope it was not expensive. I can compensate you if it was.”

“Oh no, no. It wasn’t expensive, it was just a cheap glass something I had wanted to get rid of anyway. It was more a part of my display than anything. I have more at home as it were," the mare said sheepishly. "My name is Peekaboo, your Highness. You're more than welcome to call me by name, much less formal than Citizen,” assured the mare sweetly. “But is there something I can do for you, Princess? You seem kind of anxious.”

“Ah, yes.” Luna blushed. She'd almost forgotten. “I have a question of some urgency to me. You passed me by earlier, and drifting from one of your bags was the most wonderful smell. I must know what it was.”

The mare blinked and was thoughtful for a moment. “Well, I sell a lot of fragrant things, mostly homemade foodstuffs, but most of those are all tightly sealed in jars. So I’m assuming that’s not what you meant. It was probably these candles I brought to sell for my friend.” Peekaboo opened one of the bags and placed a pale blue candle upon the table. “I bought probably like 50 of these things for myself, they just smell so good! Said she made them from the oil of a flower she’d found in the woods.” Luna beamed when the candle was produced.

“Peekaboo, you simply must take me to see your friend. My dear, I have a huge debt to repay to both of you.”

Author's Note:

And Peekaboos said: "Wat?"

Perhaps this is entirely junk. But I like it and I'm leaving it.
Once again, it probably is in dire need of an editor, no surprise there.

Comments ( 8 )

7332451
I'm relieved to hear you say so. I read this story to my fiance the other day, and while he liked it, I was worried that that part wasn't written very well. I'm glad that it put out what I'd hoped it would. ^^

HOW DID I MISS THE EPILOGUE!??

Also, I really like this chapter! It adds a touch of humor, hope, and really clears things up--thanks a million :D

7506794
Yay! I'm glad it was pure garbage! Lol. :twilightblush:
It really needed to be tied together a little better at the end so that the happenings made a little more sense I think, and I thought that this was short, sweet and to the point for it. I'm glad it didn't seem too far out of place from the rest of the story. :twilightsmile:

I just powered through your four-story series here (in order), and I have to say, despite numerous grammatical errors (and you already admitted you were in need of an editor, so I won't bitch at you), this was nicely written story-wise. I understand that these are Alt-U versions of the characters (in the previous stories at the very least), so I'm not crying "OOC! OOC!" This one in particular, though, was quite good. The dream loop had a bit of an Inception feel to it, and while it also reminded me of other fanfics I've read on the site (can't remember which ones), this one had a unique touch to it. Nice job! :twilightsmile:

7862196
Thank you so much for reading! I'm glad you liked them! :twilightsmile:
On top of most of them needing edits and adjustments, I was especially worried about introducing a story where I used original characters alongside canon stories, but I try to pride myself on making stories with OC's less egocentric, and more about the characters. So it makes me extremely happy that you enjoyed this one, as it was probably one of my favorite works both to make and reread over. Thanks so much for leaving me some feedback, I'm always trying to improve and all feedback is welcome!

Without some clue, some inner conflict, I just can't buy that Celestia manipulated Luna into becoming Nightmare Moon...and was forgiven for it.

8741608
That's actually one flaw in these stories that has been bothering me, I feel I have yet to properly portray the emotions of the two sisters very well, as there is definitely a lot of inner conflict. I'm just not the best writer when it comes to it.

I do have one question though as I have no way of knowing for sure, did you read all the stories in this series or just the two that you commented on. I just wonder if some details may make more sense if you'd read all of them in order? I tried to include the links to the others in the descriptions, but I don't know how many people really read those much.

8743527
I did read them all.

The first one I was torn between 'Ok, i can kinda see that happening' and "Celestia you MONSTER!.'

The second, you know my thoughts on it, however I will add that Twilight and Cadance felt too...passive?Accepting of their rulers?

The third was confusing on the chronology. I had trouble placing when these conversations happened, and why Luna created the Tantabus. I remember wondering if Celestia's confession was part of the reason here.

This one would have been alright as a mystery once I got through it, until the epilogue where Luna has seemingly forgiven Celestia(but not herself.)

Login or register to comment