• Published 26th Feb 2016
  • 904 Views, 21 Comments

The Flower's Grove - Peekaboo



The woods have become different at night...

  • ...
0
 21
 904

The End

A few days later, Winterwoods was delivered back to her home. Her friends had taken care of her cottage while she was away, and had made sure she made it home safely. Turning to her home, she realized that, of all the things she never expected to be, she was tired. She made her way up the stairs to her bedroom, and stopped in her tracks when she saw her bed. It was neatly made, and her shawl and satchel were folded and resting on top. One blue leaf could be seen sticking out from the corner of the bag.

Heart in her throat, she stepped over to the bed and gently opened the satchel. She gasped softly as the mild scent hit her. Inside was the beautiful flower that had appeared so many times in her dreams. Memories flooded back as she lifted the budded flower out. A single tear dropped down her cheek as she examined the delicate bloom. It was exactly as she remembered it, right down to the stem tip stained red.

Too many memories rained on her mind to recount properly, and she struggled to process them as they came. Legs gone weak, Winterwoods dropped her rump to the floor and she laughed and wept openly. The torment she’d endured, every second a lifetime of anguish that was never hers to bear. For a week straight, she lived a nightmare that wasn't hers. Yet, a beautiful soul lived beneath the monster that pony had become, there was a poor sweet child underneath it all that never got the life she'd deserved. Even though it hurt relentlessly, Winterwoods knew that if it was to save the other pony, she’d never think twice to do it again.



Eight mornings earlier…

Princess Luna jolted awake with her heart pounding in her chest. Sitting up, she trembled in the darkness of her room, unsure of the questionable fear that pricked at every ounce of her body. Something was terribly wrong. It was still very light out; and was long before dusk, she guessed. Her room was silent and still… just the way she normally liked it. But then the door opened, showering more bright light into the room. Princess Luna shielded her eyes.

“Forgive my intrusion, your highness.” Her door guard apologized and bowed, blushing a little. His embarrassment was very apparent, despite Luna’s grogginess, and she could only presume it’s cause was from standing in her private bedchambers. “But I thought I heard you cry out, and it is my duty to ensure your safety.”

“It is alright, dear guard. It… it was just a bad dream. The Tantabus incident has left me a bit unnerved, perhaps,” she said distractedly. As the guard bowed to leave, she stopped him. “Starshine? Have the library readied for my arrival, if you would. I think I’ll be partaking in a study session this day.”

“As you wish, Princess. What would you have the librarians prepare for you?” The guard saluted.

“Everything they have on the history of Nightmare Moon. And ensure that they know to tell not a single soul of this,” she said darkly.

“Mi’Lady?” he questioned. “Nightmare Moon? Are you sure?”

“Very much so. Please run along now.” Luna rose from her bed and peered from her bedroom window. It’d been a great many years since she’d felt so… peaceful. And it was wrong.