• Published 29th Jun 2015
  • 4,065 Views, 66 Comments

The Dragon's Abyss - DarklordAxel20



All is right in Equestria, Tirek has been defeated, and Princess Twilight is living peacefully in her new home. Things change when a call of distress is sent by her brother, and at the same time a mysterious dragon has arrived in Ponyville.

  • ...
10
 66
 4,065

Sparks of the Past

The Crystal Empire, Inside the Castle, Mere Moments Ago

Hundreds of thoughts and memories flashed through Shade's mind as the darkness enveloped him, each one pushing him deeper and deeper into the void of his mind. " ....Is this what hell is like...voices of the past tormenting and nothing but regret... " There was that word, a word he had despised since he was a foal. Regret, just the thought of the word sickened him, " ...Regrets...every last one I've ever had is coming to the surface...only furthering my torment...every soul I've ever wronged...everypony I've ever let down...mother...father Cel- " His eyes slowly widened as the name of the pony he had hurt the worst came to his mind.

" ...Celestia... " His deepest regret was all the pain he had put her through. A pony he once called the love of his life was now his most hated enemy, and in turn he hated himself for seeing things that way. " ...I'm such an idiot..if only... " He stopped his thoughts as Twilight's voice echoed throughout his mind, but hearing it only pushed him down deeper. " ...Twilight...no...what if I end up hating her as well...was I ever meant to even feel love... if only I could go back...stop myself from ever becoming this...thing.. "

It wasn't until a very specific memory suddenly came to his mind, one that caught his attention more so than the rest. One he longingly reached out towards, possibly one of his more cherished memories of the pony he hates, and loves the most. Despite losing almost all of his will to keep going, Shade pulled himself closer and closer until finally his claws made contact with the stationary memory, causing everything to go white around him.

Equestrian Royal Castle, Over Five Thousand Years Ago

All was peaceful in the still young nation of Equestria, the threat of Tirek would not take place for more than half a decade, so peace was prosperous. A teenage Shade lazily rested under a large tree in the castle garden, not a care in the world or a worry in his head, just peace and quiet. It wasn't until a shadow loomed over him that his feeling of peace faded, " So how long are you going to stand over me, " he kept his eyes closed but still seemed to know who he was speaking to.

A soft giggle came from the pony "intruding" on his quiet time, " Until you've stop lazing around, " she cheerfully responded.

A groan left the half-breed's throat, " Then you're gonna be waiting a while, cause I'm taking the day off. " He cracked open one of his eyes to see a white alicorn standing before him, just smiling at him.

" Well if you're taking the day off, " she moved under the tree, positioning herself beside him before sitting, " then so am I. "

Another groan escaped him, " You're a stubborn princess you know that don't you, " he bluntly commented. She stuck her tongue out at him in a childish manner, " It's a habit you're going to have to break, you are the ruler of this "illustrious kingdom after all. "

The young princess crossed her front legs across her chest and began pouting like a filly
who didn't get their way. " I know but I don't want to spend my whole life in this castle, " she stated as she looked up towards the sky. A slight smiled appeared on her face, " I want to get out and see the world, I want to do more than sit on a throne and deal with nagging dignitaries. " The last part of her statement got a chuckle out of the hybrid that she adored so much, causing her slight smiled to get bigger, " Let me rephrase what I said, I want US to see the world, just the two of us together going places that nopony has ever gone before. "

Shade chuckled again, " I might just have to take you up on that offer, " he relaxed his body and placed his claw atop her hoof, making the princess blush in the process. " To be honest I don't really like the thought of being in one place for so long either, when the times right let's ditch this place. "

Celestia always found Shade's blunt way of putting things to be amusing, enough to make her laugh sometimes. However her cheerful attitude quickly faded as another thought came to her mind, " ...Shade...I want you to make me one more promise... "

" Another one? You know you're awfully needy today, " he jokingly commented.

" ...I'm being serious Shade... " she lowered her head slightly.

This caught his attention, normally she was carefree and happy as can be, but was rarely serious about anything. " OK something's definitely wrong, you're hardly ever serious, " he had known Celestia ever since she accepted him as her pupil back when he was just a foal, and never knew her to be the serious type.

She looked her beloved half-breed in the eyes and began to speak, " ...I know how dangerous the world is...and I know that anything can happen...so make me this promise...no matter what happens...no matter how much either of us changes...please be there for me...if my life is ever in danger...please come and save me from whatever's threatening my life...can you keep that for me Shade..? "

He looked back into her eyes and gave a sincere nod, " Tia, I swear to keep this promise, with all my heart. The very same heart that belongs to you, no matter what kind of danger you're in, I'll be there for you. "

The acceptance of her promise pleased Celestia greatly, enough to have her shed her serious expression almost instantly. " It makes me so happy to hear those words come from you...I knew I made the right choice in picking you as my beloved, " she continued to smile.

" I didn't realize there were other choices, " Shade quipped with a chuckle.

Celestia stuck her tongue out at him once again, " That's not true there were plenty of suitors I could have picked....you were just the only one who didn't bore me to death... " she turned her head and mumbled the last part.

He extended his front limb around her shoulder and held her close, " Sure there were, but I was the most outstanding among them all, wasn't I? "

" Maybe the most stubborn... " she lightly mumbled.

" I heard that, " he replied, again earning a childish grimace from his princess. He gently ran his claws through her mane, " Can you do me a favor in return for all these promises, stop talking for about an hour or so, I want to be able to enjoy some peace and quiet with you and that's kind of hard without the quiet. "

To most ponies Shades "favor" would come off as rude and insensitive. To Celestia however his attitude and the things he said only made her love him more, it was their strange way of showing their affection for one another. " Consider it done, " she happily sighed and rested her head against his neck and relaxed her body, joining her beloved in an afternoon of peace and quiet. " I love you Shade... " she softly spoke one last time before staying silent.

A slight smile appeared on his face as he relaxed his body, " I love you too Tia. "

As the memory ended and the white faded Shade found himself repeating those last few words in mumbles, " ....I love you too Tia... " And as he spoke those words it felt as if a gust of wind filled his unconscious lungs, bringing the will to keep going back to him. " ...Tia..Celestia... " Using what mental strength he could muster, Shade begun clawing his way from the abyss that was his mind. " ...I made I promise...how could I be so stupid all this time...I have Twilight to thank... " He continued pulling himself from the darkness and towards the light where the sounds of shouting could be heard.

The words of the promise echoed around him, fueling his desire to escape the abyss further " ...I know how dangerous the world is...and I know that anything can happen...so make me this promise...no matter what happens...no matter how much either of us changes...please be there for me...if my life is ever in danger...please come and save me from whatever's threatening my life...can you keep that for me Shade..? " His life never felt so complicated, he loved Twilight because of everything she had done for him, but deep down his affection for Celestia thrived, no matter how deep his hatred for her was. " ...Yeah...I'll do that for you Celestia...even if I've been beaten to bones...I'll keep that damn promise...Just give me a moment to wake up... "

Despite his newfound determination to keep going he felt his strength begin to wane,
" ....dammit.....dammit...Celestia...Twilight....I'm so sorry for dragging either of you into this... " He slowly moved his claw towards his chest, ...This pain....it's unlike anything I've ever felt...it's almost as if my heart is going to explode....just...just need a little rest... " He could feel his thought's leaving him at a rapid pace, when suddenly a light shined in on the darkness that had surrounded his mind. " ...Mustn't give up...must fight pain...but why...why should I... " " SHADE WE NEED YOU!!!!!! " Twilight!!! " Twilight's pleas reached Shade within the darkness of his mind, forcefully pulling him from death's door and rejuvenating him completely, and once Shade's strength had returned to him, his eyes shot open and let out a vigor filled roar, grasping the crystal spike in his chest and began crushing it as everypony watched in disbelief, " ...I can't just...give in...not with the two of their lives on the line...can't give up....I...I won't... " " ...I WON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!! "

Author's Note:

Hey there everypony, more of a shorter chapter than usual coming your way. I meant to have this out much sooner, but like Shade's life my life is getting really complicated as of lately. I've dealt with all sorts of things from work issues to depression and the sort. But I'm back to writing I don't know what pace I'll be writing at but I'll try my best to keep putting chapters out. I hope you all enjoy this unusually short chapter and leave your thoughts on it, if it helps think of this as a transitional chapter leading into the big action. I'll talk to you all next time, see you then :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 1 )

Good chapter, get to now more back story on Celestia and Shade .

Login or register to comment