• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 16,076 Views, 554 Comments

A Changeling to Remember - Blueheartpegasus



A lost and hurt changeling runs into the Mane Six.

  • ...
35
 554
 16,076

Chapter 14 Part 3

Chrysalis smirked, looking back at Celestia with contempt. “Hmm. So you didn’t tell them. I should have known you wouldn’t own up to your mistakes.” She turned back to Twilight. “Tell me, Twilight, what do you know of the flutterponies?”

Twilight blinked, taken aback by the question. “Flutterponies?”

“Yes, flutterponies. Go on, tell us. What are the flutterponies?”

“…Flutterponies were a mythical race of butterfly-winged ponies whose wings gave them the ability to use magic without a horn. They fed off the love of the land and the love that ponies had for each other.” Twilight spoke in a manner of somepony reciting a line from a book.

“That’s correct. Creatures with insect-like wings and magic that feed off of love…” Chrysalis said, “What other species do you know of that fits that description?”

Twilight was silent for a few moment before realization spread across her face.. “…The changelings.”

“That’s correct.” Chrysalis said. She turned and faced the crowd of changelings around them. “Changelings, listen well to your queen! We were not always like this! We did not always have to hide our true forms in fear! Once, we were a peaceful race known as the flutterponies, living isolated during the time of the spirit of chaos, Discord’s, reign. Until one fateful day…”
Chrysalis spun and faced Celestia. “Until the day Celestia and Luna came to Flutter Valley to find the last piece of the Elements of Harmony and revealed us to Discord!”

“You knew it was necessary, Chrysalis!” Celestia retorted, “Discord had to be stopped! Queen Rosedust understood that!”

“Yes, mother did. She let you into Flutter Valley, cooperated with you even though you knew Discord was after you! He was content to leave us alone, but then mother fought against him to give you time to escape. Discord punished us by turning us into this.” Chrysalis growled, “If you hadn’t come, we’d still be the flutterponies!”

“And Discord would still be ruling Equestria!” Celestia countered, “The Elements of Harmony had to be formed, for the sake of all ponies!”

“And what of our sake?!” Chrysalis snapped, “I had a kingdom, countless ponies that trusted me to save them! When I came to you for help, you and Luna left us! Abandoned us! And worse, you rejected us and left us to rot in the wasteland that used to be our home! We were ponies, too; where was your love then?!”

Celestia’s indignation disappeared and her look turned to one of guilt. “…You’re right. Luna and I were still young at the time; we were foolish and close-minded. I spent many years after trying to find a cure for the flutterponies, and I considered using the Elements of Harmony to break Discord’s curse, but by then, Luna had…I should have tried harder. I’m sorry.”

Celestia regained her composure and looked back at Chrysalis. “But we weren’t the only ones at fault. Even with the curse, you should have tried to peacefully integrate into Equestrian society. But instead, you kidnapped and replaced ponies, stealing love from their friends and families, and just recently, you replaced my niece and tried to take over Equestria! The fear changelings gather from all the other species is your own doing!”

“Hmph, that invasion was justified. I needed to feed my people, and if I could get my revenge on you as well, so much the better. But you’re forgetting one thing, Celestia: changelings can’t love.” Chrysalis replied, “Don’t you understand? Peace was never an option. Our only hope was to find a way to revert back to our previous forms. But you gave up, you refused to help us! Discord may have cast the curse, but ultimately, the creation of the changelings was your fault!”

Chrysalis disappeared in flash of green magic, reappearing in front of Celestia. Their horn crossed as they glared into each other's eyes. Ditto watched, confused as she thought through everything in her head. The changelings used to be ponies, flutterponies, but were cursed. But there isn't a cure... Unless... the elements... Just as the realization came to the mutant, she heard steps behind her. Turning, she saw Spike running towards her and Twilight with a golden book in claw.

When Spike got near, Ditto snatched the book in her magic and levitated it up to Twilight. She remembered Twilight telling her about it once; the book where the Elements of Harmony were stored. "Twilight!" Ditto face grew into a wide grin as she spoke. "The elements! They might work, they made Mirror and I feel love, so they might cure the rest of the swarm!"

"You're right!" Twilight grabbed the book and hid it behind her, turning to her friend with a determined grin. Rainbow Dash had just woken up and we being helped to her hooves by Applejack and Pinkie Pie. She nodded to the five, who had heard her and Ditto talking, then faced Queen Chrysalis and Princess Celestia.

“Everything is your fault!” Chrysalis yelled, “It’s your fault Discord came to Flutter Valley! It’s your fault our home is nothing but a wasteland! It’s your fault mother had to die, and it’s your fault the flutterponies are gone! All of it is your fault!”

“Chrysalis, please!” Celestia said, a hint of desperation showing through. “I’m sorry for what happened, but you need to-”

“Stop it, both of you!” Twilight yelled shocking both royal creatures out of their argument. The crowd quieted as well. Everyone, including Princess Celestia and Queen Chrysalis, looked at the unicorn curiously.

Twilight, suddenly shy in speaking to the two royals, especially as one was her own princess, gathered her courage and hid her worry a determined look. “Princess Celestia, Queen Chrysalis, please listen to me: we won’t solve anything arguing like this!”

“Oh, really? And what do you propose we do?” Chrysalis said suspiciously.

“We make peace, of course.” Twilight said simply.

Chrysalis scoffed at her words. “Peace. And how do you make peace with a species that can’t feel empathy?”

“I believe you already know the answer to that, your highness.” Twilight said. She smirked at the shocked look that came across the queen's face at being addressed 'your highness' by a pony. “I’ve thought about what you said, and I think I’ve figured it out. Discord’s curse is chaotic in nature. But the Elements of Harmony are the opposite of his power. That’s why empathy sickness occurs; the power of the Elements of Harmony cancels out Discord’s magic and part of the curse. Empathy sickness isn’t an illness, it’s a cure!”

“…So is that your plan? Give the swarm empathy sickness? There are thousands of changelings; how do you plan on getting them all?” Chrysalis asked, a little nervous.

Twilight smiled and took the book from behind her back, showing the crowd. 'The Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide,' she opened it to reveal five golden necklaces and one tiara. “With this!”

Chrysalis gasped, fear on her face as she stumbled backwards. “The Elements of Harmony?! W-What are you going to do?”

“We’re going to help you, Chrysalis. We’ll help the changelings to be loved again.” Twilight replied confidently.

“The changelings were never loved,” Chrysalis said, “We were always hated! The only way we could possibly be loved is if we were to become the flutterponies again!”

Twilight shook her head. “No, it’s not, Chrysalis. The Elements of Harmony can turn the changelings into flutterponies, but the truth is that the flutterponies are gone.”

The crowd suddenly began chattering, earning a glare from Chrysalis. Ditto felt her give some command but didn't bother to find out what it was; it was probably just a command to silence. The chatter seized and Queen Chrysalis nodded at Twilight for her to continue.

“The flutterponies are gone; they have been for nearly a thousand years now.” Twilight went on, “Every changeling that was once a flutterpony is long dead now, except for you. All of these changelings here, your entire swarm, they were born this way. Being changelings is all they know. If we were to turn them into flutterponies, it’d be no different from the conversion that you yourselves force on ponies.”

Ditto glanced back at Applejack quickly before focusing her attention back on Chrysalis and Twilight. She could feel an aura of sadness coming from the queen.

“Then what is your plan? It can’t really be to give the entire swarm empathy sickness, can it?” Chrysalis asked.

“But it is; the Elements of Harmony have the power to do that. When you think about it, Chrysalis, it’s really quite clear,” Twilight explained, “The changelings are feared by ponies because they replace their loved ones to steal love, but a changeling is perfectly capable of creating their own identity to make genuine friends. The only reason they don’t is because changelings can’t form bonds with ponies; they can’t make friends. And for a race that feeds off love…don’t you see? Discord’s curse wasn’t changing your forms; it was taking away your ability to feel love! That’s the curse we’re going to break!”

Twilight levitated the necklaces to her friends, who had all walked up to stand by her side. When Applejack's necklace was slipped over her head it seemed to shake like it was unhappy, but settled down after a short moment. The changeling-pony let out a sigh of relief and took her position. Finally, Twilight levitated the tiara onto her own head. The process began; each element started to glow and gales of wind circled around them. Ditto quickly leaped back to avoid being hit by the wind, pulling Spike back with her.

Chrysalis stepped back anxiously again. “But…what if it doesn’t work? We’ve been like this so long; what if the Elements just destroy us instead?”

“They won’t, Chrysalis.” The queen turned to see Celestia smiling at her. “You were right. Leaving you alone when you needed our help most…I won’t make the same mistake twice. This time, we’re going to help you.”

Chrysalis stared at Princess Celestia, a few tears coming to her eyes. Ditto was nearly whipped away when the winds grew stronger. She had to plant her hole-filled hooves firmly in the ground and was thankful that she didn't have much of a mane for if she did it would be in her face.

The six friends flew into the air, hovering above the ground. Twilight opened her eyes, revealing them to be glowing bright, pure white. Colors from the six elements joined in front of Twilight, creating a bright rainbow that turned and twisted around the group. The rainbow then split off into six smaller rainbows, extending over Ponyville and creating a tornado over the entire town.

The wind was now strong enough that every changeling and pony in the crowd was falling over. The winds were warm and, in a way, comforting, but that didn't mean they enjoyed being flung away. Ditto grabbed Spike to stop the dragon from flying off in the other direction, and held him tight so neither of them would fly away.

The mutant looked up at Twilight. Could she really save them all? Could she really free them from such a curse? Ditto smiled. She trusted Twilight; she was a good friend and the changeling was confident. The unicorn was always there to help her, and now she may help not only her, but the entire swarm.

Suddenly, Ditto started to feel sleepy. Her body and mind relaxed, and her eyelids drooped. Looking around, she saw that everyone else seemed to be experiencing the same thing. The changeling gave in to it, slipping into unconsciousness. The last thought on her mind was, They can help, I know they can. When we wake up, this'll be fixed.

Author's Note:

Soon, right? :D I kept my promise, this certainly is soon (compared to the 3 1/2 months in between Chapter 14 part 1 and Chapter 14 part 2, it's basically right away!). This is the end of Chapter 14, and next chapter will probably have more just Ditto and Twilight, since their ending isn't the exact same as Mirror's. Look forward to it!

Comments ( 41 )

Sweet, glad everything's working out.

Not yet, Mekanik, though I certainly hope so.

Yuss! The excitement! The climax!

Can't wait for the ending, although I'll be sad to see this story go. :pinkiesad2:

You had better keep on writing.

*reporter voice*... And so all the changeling DIED. Turns out the elements CANT cure discord's curse.... BACK TO YOU DUSTY!

2013493 Indeed. It turns the queen back into the soul surviving flutterpony, that can't breed and is the last of her kind and so they die off. again. And the changeling stay changelings, have bloody cival war before Celestia just mass murders them all. :trollestia:

You know, if the Elements of Harmony removes forced transformations, in theory, Applejack should be back to normal since she was smack dab in the middle of the Elements!

and of course this is when the bottem falls out and you land in a pile of shit

CIA

2013837
Great observation on your part.

I like this. I see a beautiful story, and I feel a happy ending coming.:pinkiehappy:

Woah. Awesome. THIS STORY. I AM HEADCANONING RIGHT NOW. CHANGELINGS AS GOOD GUYS FTW. Can't wait to see the end.

Well, this is all going to work out swimmingly...I hope...

2018681 Dont say that or you'll doom us to a twist

Hopefully Applejack can go back to normal.

That cover picture, it's so cute. >.<

Reading this story has changed the way I see Changelings, I love it. :raritycry:

You should add the "changeling tag" to your story

2096452

Oh, you're right, I saw that they added the changeling thing but I forgot to put it on here.

2096494

Give me your chapterz >:C

blarg!! stupid cliffhangers... :flutterrage:

That awful feeling when FiMfiction says you haven't read half the chapter, when you look at them you remember that you HAVE read them.

There goes my nightly reading...

somehow i feel like Hasbro read this and trying to make the 4th season's 2-parter special based on this fanfic....:applejackunsure:

2494418 I wouldn't say "tougher," more like "having the benefit of cartoon physics." Lol.

And as it turns out they will all die! Good ending. And, I am impressed, not many people can make changelings turn good in a story, and still have it a good story... I was trying to find someone that could use some of my changeling ideas... But you seem to be set. Unless the reason why you dont update very quickly is because you have run out of ideas! Just shoot me a PM, and I will try to help. (Actually anyone can ask me, but I prefer a writer with more experience...) Ok so it's all good now... Laters~

must read next chapter now.....

hasn't been on in 12 weeks.... :pinkiesad2:
i guess he left, sad....
and the last time this has been updated is January,
i guess its dead to....

Don't you die on me now Ditto/story! :flutterrage:

how do i say this but i dislike your story i think it is bland and boring.:applejackunsure:
but i love the Goldhoof side story i think it is imaginative and interesting.:pinkiehappy:
the exact opposite of your mane story i would love to reed more of them.:scootangel:

Is this going to be finished? I want moar!!

There are no stars, so I shall give you 5 hearts instead, epic story
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Is this story dead? I hope it isn't!

One more chapter or two (as an epilogue probably) , this story was about to reach its zenith & conclusion... & it stopped! Las update was three years ago!

I gave it a thumbs up & marked it as Favorite, silly I knows but who know. The story is probably dead but maybe the author will come back & finish it.

But I may have found the ending for this story, from the same author using a different user name? Doesn't matter. But the last chapters are very similar to this story & can be found in this story titled Smoke and Mirrors. In this story, it has the changeling Mirror from her perspective of the events.

I feel like the story will/should end by the end of the next chapter.

Then all the changelings fall into an eternal sleep, forever.
THE END!:trollestia:

2096494 When will this story be updated?

Plz come back!:fluttercry:

Dead story?

Dead author?

8793240

Your icon? :rainbowlaugh:

But yeah, no activity since 2014 is a strong indicator of no more.

Ditto... what a totally never before used name for something that can transform into other things...

(Cough) (cough) Pokemon

And 7 years later it still hasn't been updated apparently. Why are all the good stories incomplete?

10058370
Because the author dies.

Looking forward to your update... After 8 years...

Login or register to comment