• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 16,076 Views, 554 Comments

A Changeling to Remember - Blueheartpegasus



A lost and hurt changeling runs into the Mane Six.

  • ...
35
 554
 16,076

Chapter 3

For a long moment, there was complete silence. Ditto sat frozen in the middle of the floor, a book open in front of her, while three ponies sat in the doorway, jaws hanging open in utter disbelief. One was a yellow pegasus, one was a pink earth pony, and one was a purple unicorn. There was nothing but silence for a long time until the pink one gasped. "It's a changeling!"

The three ponies rushed into the room and surrounded Ditto. the purple one gave her an angry glare, the pink one looked suspicious, and the yellow one didn't look angry at all. In fact, she was eyeing Ditto's injuries.

"What are you doing here, Changeling?" demanded the unicorn. "Are you spying on Ponyville?"

Ditto huddled on the floor in fear. These ponies were going to hurt her- she knew it. She turned her back on the purple pony and tried to run away, but her hind legs collapsed beneath her and she fell to the ground. She tried to continue running away, limping for the open door, but the light yellow Pegasus blocked her path.

Finally, Ditto recognized these ponies. They were the ones that her siblings had fought hard and finally captured during the invasion of Canterlot. She had not been in that battle, however, because she was pretty useless in any kind of fight. She had watched from the sidelines, reporting injuries of her fellow changelings to others so they could be taken safely out of the battle. At least she had some uses.

"Wait, girls. Stop." the yellow Pegasus said, observing Ditto. "It's not dangerous. Look, It can barely move."

Ditto blinked in surprise at the yellow Pegasus, who was now crouched beside her and looking at one of her infected cuts.

"Fluttershy, are you crazy?" the unicorn exclaimed. "This thing is one of our enemies!"

"It's an injured animal," the yellow pony, known as Fluttershy, pointed out. "She also has no wings."

"Hey, Twilight!" said the pink pony, who was looking around at the piles of books. "I think she's been reading your books!" Twilight stared at the books, surprised.

"I didn't know Changelings could read," the purple pony said in wonderment, trotting over to her friend and picking up "A History of Equestria".

"Can it talk?" the pink pony asked, bouncing over to Ditto, who was still being examined by Fluttershy. "Queen Chrysalis could."

"I don't know." Fluttershy helped Ditto to her hooves and asked kindly in a small and gentle voice, "Hello, friend. I'm Fluttershy. Do you know how to talk?"

Ditto mumbled in a small voice, "Yes, yes I can." she looked around and saw that everypony was staring at her, eyes wide with surprise. "Changelings can talk in pony form, can't they? It shouldn't be that surprising."

"Your voice!" Fluttershy gasped.

"My voice?" then Ditto remembered. Ever since her fall, her voice had been more raspy. "Oh, my voice, it... it's kinda like a snake's usually. At least in my opinion. But since I fell in here, my voice has been all weird."

"This is the source." Twilight pointed towards Ditto's throat. In the middle of her throat was a scar. "I've read that when some ponies get cuts on their throats, it can make their voice go raspy like this Changeling's."

"Stop calling me 'this Changeling'." Ditto said, shifting in her position as Fluttershy picked up her broken hind leg. "My name's Ditto."

"Hi, Ditto." the unicorn said, unconcernedly. "I'm Twilight Sparkle." Then she turned to her friends. "We have to get it out of here!" Twilight whinnied urgently. "It could lead its friends back here and they could take over Ponyville!"

"It can't move, though." Fluttershy pointed out.

"Maybe it can communicate with the others through magic."

"But if it could use magic, wouldn't we all be fried by now? Like hay fries?" the pink one said.

"Maybe it's just trying to fool us! Maybe it's just a decoy, so it can send back information to its friends while we're here nurturing it!"

'"But Twilight, these wounds are terrible," Fluttershy said. "Nopony would herself like this. Look at this." She pointed a yellow hoof at Ditto's broken leg. "She'll have trouble walking for months."

"You have a point, but we still can't trust it. Think what the Changelings put us and Cadance through, not to mention the rest of Canterlot!"

"We can't throw her out, silly." the pink pony said cheerfully, despite the situation. "That wouldn't be very nice."

"Then what should we do?"

After a bit of discussion, the ponies finally turned back towards Ditto, who Fluttershy had finished examining. The timid yellow Pegasus now waited to know if she should heal Ditto or not. Twilight trotted forwards. "Well, Ditto, we've decided that we should help you."

Ditto just smiled with relief.

"Fluttershy will heal you, and you will live here until you're better," she continued. "We just always have to have Spike watching you to make sure you can't contact any of the swarm until you leave, and you won't be allowed out of the library until we're sure we can trust you."

"Sounds good to m-" Ditto was cut off as she was knocked aside. Fluttershy had flown off so fast that she had knocked the Changeling on her side.

"Oh! oh! oh!" The pink pony leaped up in the air excitedly and pulled a large cannon out of nowhere. "That means that we can throw a 'Welcome to Ponyville' party, right Twilight?"

"Fine, Pinkie Pie."

"Yay!" Pinkie Pie pressed a button on the cannon and party supplies shot out, instantly decorating the room with streamers and confetti.

Ditto looked about in amazement. "But... but... how is that even possible?"

"She's Pinkie Pie," Twilight explained. '"The laws of physics and her don't get along well."'

The Changeling blinked in confusion, then limped over to where the others were gathering for the party.


Spellchecker and Prof-reader: Glitchhunter5000