• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 16,075 Views, 554 Comments

A Changeling to Remember - Blueheartpegasus



A lost and hurt changeling runs into the Mane Six.

  • ...
35
 554
 16,075

Chapter 7

Goldhoof searched the skies for anypony who looked suspicious. The only strange pony she saw was Moonbloom, who was circling the Pegasi at the starting line for the race. They were in the clouds, but below Earth Ponies and Unicorns gathered to watch the popular event of Pegasus racing. It seemed it was really the only thing that brought the tribes together in this horrible time.

As Goldhoof scanned the crowds of ponies, she saw Moonbloom stop and talk to one of the racing Pegasi. She said something and they exchanged a laugh before Moonbloom flew off to talk to the next Pegasi in line. this happened to all of them, then Moonbloom noticed Goldhoof hiding in the shadows.

"Heya, Goldwing!" she shouted, waving a hoof. She flew over and sat beside the golden mare and smiled. "Such nice weather for the Pegasus Race, isn't it?"

"What were you doing over by the racers?" Goldhoof asked.

Moonbloom looked downcast. "I was trying to cheer them up and get them happy, because I wasn't able to race this time. I wanted them all to be happy for me, you know?"

Goldhoof smiled. This pony was truly a good spirit. The blow of a whistle made her jump as the Pegasi set off. She flapped her wings and flew behind at a slow pace, just in case.

"There's something wrong with Moonbloom, she just seems too...nice." Ditto said to nopony in particular. Twilight was absorbed in her work as usual, Spike was organizing the books that had been knocked onto the floor earlier when Twilight had been looking for a textbook, and Rainbow Dash was sitting in the corner, reading "Daring Do and the Treasure of Cloud Castle".

"I'm not giving you spoilers, Ditto." Twilight said happily, "You have to read the book for yourself." Twilight had warmed up to Ditto quite a bit, and was treating her decently. Ditto hadn't dared venture outside since her last little adventure had led her to buck a nurse in the face and narrowly avoid trouble with Twilight out in town.

"I know, I don't want spoilers, anyway." Ditto folded her two front hooves over each other as she lay on her bed with the book on her pillow. "It's just at the good part."

"Can't be better than Daring Do." Rainbow commented, apparently only half-listening to the exchange. Ditto decided not to respond, and continued reading. However, before she could, there was a knock at the door.

"I've got it!" Spike said quickly, getting up and running through the open bedroom door and down the stairs. Ditto heard the footsteps as he made his way to the door and the creak as he opened it. Below, somepony greeted Spike cheerfully and the baby dragon replied, "Oh, hello, Minuette! Twilight's upstairs."

Ditto froze. She knew that voice, that pony had helped her when she had gone outside!

Her heart pounded as Minuette's hoofsteps came upstairs. She quickly used her magic to pull a blanket over herself, hiding from the blue Unicorn. Before the blanket went over her, the Changeling saw a look of panic on Twilight's and Rainbow's faces.

Ditto held her breath and tried to lay still, hoping Minuette wouldn't see the lump on the bed. She heard clopping as one of the ponies in the room raced over to the door.

"Oh, hello, Minuette! Did you need something?" it was Twilight.

"Oh, yes, I was wondering if you had any books on how Ponyville's defended? I've been feeling nervous since hearing of the Changelings." Minuette inquired. Ditto saw a faint glow of light blue magic through the thin sheets and supposed that the blue Unicorn was pulling books out and looking at them.

"Oh, yes, downstairs! Let's go downstairs!" Twilight said in a slightly panicked voice. There was clopping as Twilight led Minuette down the stairs and closed the door behind her. Ditto sighed with relief and tossed the blanket off of her with a burst of green magic.

She saw Rainbow standing beside the bed, looking nervous. "That was close." the Pegasus sighed. "I wouldn't like to imagine what would happen if they found out we were keeping a Changeling here!" Rainbow looked at Ditto. "I think Twi's got it covered. I'm out." she grabbed the Daring Do book, pushed open the window, and flew out.

Ditto used magic to pick up her book and levitated it in front of her face. As she read, she limped around the room in circles, hoping to get used to moving. She had given up all hope that her leg would ever heal since her disastrous visit to the hospital.

Goldhoof felt like they had been flying for hours. And they probably had. They were now flying over what many called The Great Border. It was where Pegasi land, Unicorn land and Earth Pony land met with a huge mountain. Around the mountain in rings were Earth Pony fields, farther up were rows of magnificent diamonds and crystal-lined caves, and at the very top was Pegasus tower, capital of the Pegasi.

This meant the race was half over. Goldhoof sighed with relief and decided that nothing bad was to happen. Maybe she should report to the rulers that all was peaceful, the water tower and so forth had been merely an accident, and that no outlaw lived with these ponies.

Then her wings tightened. She flapped desperately, but it appeared that the feathers in her wings were clamped together and couldn't move. She cried with fear as she started to drop towards the mountain. She noticed, to her worst discomfort, that something similar was happening to the other Pegasi.

"She's gone." Twilight said, clopping in and slamming the door with a back hoof. "She was hard to get rid of but she's gone."

A bit of stress was released from Ditto's mind and she continued pacing while reading. Twilight returned to her work after scolding Spike for letting Minuette upstairs, and there were several moments of silence where Ditto couldn't focus on her book. The words scrambled and stopped making sense, so she used her magic to pick it up, put a bookmark in it, and set it on an end table.

Instead, Ditto got an idea. She loved reading books, and in her spare time she loved to think of her life as a story. She got up, limped over to drawer, opened it, and dug around inside until she used her magic to pull out a quill, some ink, and a few scrolls.

"Ditto, what are you up to?" Twilight asked, watching her.

"I'm going to write my own book." the Changeling said. She limped back to her bed, placed the scrolls open on the floor, and laid with her hooves tucked beneath her. She picked up the quill with a glow of green magic and started writing.

Ditto.... it was a nice name, in her opinion. It referred to the slang word 'ditto', which meant to agree. It made a bit of sense, but that wasn't why she liked it. She liked it because of the way it sounded.. 'di' sounded wonderful in her voice. Her voice was like a snake's, beautiful but deadly. Of course, she herself was not beautiful, nor deadly.

"What are you going to title it?" Twilight asked, clopping over and attempting to read over Ditto's shoulder.

"I don't know." Ditto pulled a hoof out from under her and rubbed her chin with it. The holes were scratching her chin so she stopped and replaced the hoof underneath her, instead tapping the quill on the page. After a long time of thinking, Twilight gave up and clopped away.

"Oh well." Ditto said, then scribbled 'A Changeling' at the top of the page and continued writing.

Suddenly, there was a crash and all the books fell from the shelves, a few right onto Ditto. Hidden by the books, she peeked out and saw a familiar gray mare.

"Ditzy!" Twilight gasped, tossing all of the books away from her with her magic. "Are you alright?"

Stumbling around to regain her wits, what little she seemed to have, Ditzy Doo appeared beat up and dizzy. "I-I....crashed." she said, blinking her crossed golden eyes and bit her lip. She gazed around and saw the havoc caused by her crash. "Gee, sorry Twilight. I just don't know what went wrong."

The purple Unicorn looked up at the hole in her ceiling with despair. "We just reorganized!" she sighed.

"I'm sorry, Twilight. I am." Ditzy reached over and picked up a book, but tripped over another pile of books and sent them skidding all over.

"It's alright, Ditzy, are you okay?" Twilight trotted over to the confused Pegasus. "What happened?"

"Umm..." Ditzy bit her lip and her eyes crossed even farther. "First I was out flying with Rainbow Dash, then she went off to practice and didn't want me getting in the way. So I went to the town, then I was talking to Minuette, and she said something about Ponyville and asked when the next storms were due. I said I didn't know, then I flew away. I'm quite sure how I ended up crashing."

"She probably ran into a cloud and fell or something." Twilight whispered while passing Ditto's pile of books. "Ditzy, that bruise looks bad. Maybe we should take you to the hospital."

"Oh, okay." Ditzy spread her wings to fly away, but hit the wall.

"I'll take you." Twilight led the gray mare out the door, and before she left she whispered, "Just stay here, Ditto, I'll be back."

The changeling nodded, shaking a few books off the pile she was under. After the door shut, her horn glowed with magic and she tossed the books away from her. "I guess I'd better clean this up." She sighed. She picked up the nearest book and looked at the cover. It was 'Supernaturals'. She put it on a shelf, then picked up the next. She put that one its correct shelf. She repeated this with every book that had fallen. After a long time of boring work, she was finished.

Despite the hole in the ceiling, it looked good as normal. Ditto settled down on her bed and continued writing. Ditto thought about how terrible she had felt when she had first come. It was probably just panic and hunger. Speaking of hunger, she hadn't been hungry at all since the six ponies had come, as Fluttershy had given her plenty of love, and Twilight was even warming up to her enough to feed her a bit.

Then something clicked in Ditto's brain.

Twilight.

Twilight had gone to the Hospital.

Ditto had bucked a nurse in the face at that same hospital.

The nurse would undoubtedly tell Twilight all about the strange pony with solid purple eyes and a broken leg.

She was doomed.

----

Twilight pushed the door open with one hoof, the other wrapped around Ditzy, who was still a bit dazed after her fall. Well, she was always a bit dazed, that was her nature, but nopony got annoyed about her. Or they all pretended not to be. After all, what kind of land would Equestria be if ponies weren't allowed to be different?

"Oh, hello, Twilight." a pink nurse with a purple and white streaked mane and tail greeted the Unicorn. Although, she now had a huge bruise on her forehead. "What happened to Ditzy?"

"I don't know." Twilight said. "She said she was just flying away from a talk with Minuette and the next thing she remembered was crashing into my library."

"Oh! We should get her checked in right now, that bruise looks bad." the nurse said.

"I could say the same for you." Twilight said, pointing at the nurse's forehead with her hoof. "What happened to you, Nurse Sweetheart?"

"Oh, this?" Nurse Sweetheart pointed at her bruise. "I got bucked by a stubborn patient. Strange mare."

"Tell me about it." Twilight said, helping to lead Ditzy to her room where the doctor would make sure she had no further injuries. This strange pony could have been an escaped Changeling trying to invade Ponyville as well.

"Well," The Nurse said, leading the way up the stairs. "she was a black and silver Earth Pony. Her Cutie mark was a moon with clouds around. She had a broken leg, and a really raspy voice. The voice was probably because of a cut on her throat, but the really strange thing was..." the pink nurse stopped and pointed at her eyes. "she had purple eyes."

"So?" Twilight said, pointing at her own eye. "So do I."

"But these eyes weren't normal, they had no whites or pupils. They were just...solid purple."

Something clicked in Twilight's brain. This sounded a lot like....Ditto. No, she thought, Ditto wouldn't go out and ignore my orders.

"Hey, I saw a pony like that in Twi's library when I stopped by to return the muffin book!" Ditzy said, stopping along with the other two ponies.

At this, Twilight turned and raced out of the hospital, towards home.


Spellchecker and Prof-reader:Glitchhunter5000 (The Reviser/Suggester)