• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 5,320 Views, 84 Comments

The Assembled Letters of Twilight Sparkle, Protégé of Emperor Discord - Caligari87



Emperor Discord sends his star pupil Twilight Sparkle to investigate a mysterious new phenomenon called "Friendship".

  • ...
14
 84
 5,320

Letter 9

To the Great and Honorable Emperor Discord,

Primo Chaotica, Eternal Steward of Discordia,

As you are aware, I came to Ponyville to make a study of the phenomenon known as Friendship and report back on any threats it posed to the reign of Chaos over our great land. I regret to inform you that I have been less than forthcoming about my findings, and I wish to set the record right.

I have determined that several tenets of Friendship exist: Honesty, Laughter, Generosity, Loyalty, and Kindness. There are likely more, but these are the ones I know of. I have discovered these are all connected by the core principle of Harmony, of bringing together or into agreement. This principle stands in opposition to Chaos and is most definitely a threat to all we’ve worked for.

I have been called Friend by ponies who exemplify these qualities and openly taught them to me. Although it pains me, I must uphold the vows I made to Chaos. I sent letters to these ponies, advising them to disband and cease practicing Friendship. While their actions threaten the entropy of our great land, I believe they were acting in ignorance and should not be punished.

I also wrote to you of a magical tree located under the old castle outside Ponyville. I know neither the purpose nor origin of this tree, but I do know it generates a magical field of pure Harmony which nullifies the effects of Chaos. The tree also appears to gain strength from the Friendship of nearby ponies, causing its influence to grow at astonishing rates. I must recommend this tree be destroyed or neutralized by any means possible, in order to preserve the Empire.

As for me, my conduct is inexcusable. I will take no action, nor plead my case, but leave my fate in your wholly arbitrary claws.

Your humble student,

Twilight Sparkle