• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 5,319 Views, 84 Comments

The Assembled Letters of Twilight Sparkle, Protégé of Emperor Discord - Caligari87



Emperor Discord sends his star pupil Twilight Sparkle to investigate a mysterious new phenomenon called "Friendship".

  • ...
14
 84
 5,319

Journal 4

My hooves are still shaking. Without Rainbow Dash’s help, I probably wouldn’t have made it out of there alive. My magic is strong, but timbers are elemental, some of the strongest magic there is. They can’t simply be disintegrated or transfigured or teleported. After some study, I found that even shattering them to pieces doesn’t actually kill them; they’re part of the forest, random eddies of magic and matter gaining enough cohesion to form a creature of raw animal desire. It’s incredibly frightening how such deadly Order can arise from Chaos, and why we must be ever vigilant against it.

I’m eternally grateful to Rainbow; I quite literally owe her my life. She’s brave, but it’s more than that. When I complimented her on her courage, she confided in me that she was actually scared breathless during the entire ordeal. It was thinking of me, her Friend, that gave her the strength to return and save me.

I understand loyalty in a sense. I’m loyal to Chaos as a concept and principle, at least most of the time, but it’s different. Rainbow being so loyal to another pony that she would be willing to risk her very life… The very thought gives me knots inside. I’m not sure I’d be strong enough to do that.

In fact, I’m not sure of anything anymore. I feel like I’m living a second life. Most days of the week, I spend practicing magic and trying to see what I can affect around town. My raw abilities are getting stronger, but the Chaos effects are growing inexplicably weaker. It’s not the tree; that’s still too far outside Ponyville to make a difference. It’s something else, and I think I’m starting to realize what.

When I’m not practicing Chaos, I’m spending time with my Friends. I’m not sure what they see in me; Applejack would be out of her mind if she knew how dishonest I’m being with my teacher. I don’t take opportunity to spread joy like Pinkie, or give to others like Rarity. Yet they smile when they see me, visit me when I’ve been shut up for days, invite me on outings when things aren’t too bizarre around town, or stay at the library with me when it’s not feasible to go outside. I’m not sure what I’ve done to deserve their Friendship, but I am thankful.

And yet, the closer I grow to my friends, the less my chaos magic works. I suspected before, and now I’m certain: Friendship is rooted in Harmony, and I know that Harmony is the antithesis of Chaos. I’m gradually falling away from the principles I dedicated myself to serve, and pulling closer to the ones I swore against. Is that a bad thing? If so, why do I feel happier than ever before? I don’t know.

There’s something else too; something frightening.

I wrote to Discord about visiting the castle again, but I left out a lot. When we arrived, the magical field around the tree was the same as when I’d left before, but the growth rate I measured while there is astronomical. In the past few weeks, it should have grown large enough to reach Ponyville! I can only conclude that the tree’s magic is only growing when I’m there with somepony, and that means the tree is fed by something we’re bringing. I fear to say it, but I believe our Friendship is making the Harmony magic around the tree stronger.

I’m not sure how to tell Discord about all this, but I need to soon, before things get worse.

Twilight