• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 5,320 Views, 84 Comments

The Assembled Letters of Twilight Sparkle, Protégé of Emperor Discord - Caligari87



Emperor Discord sends his star pupil Twilight Sparkle to investigate a mysterious new phenomenon called "Friendship".

  • ...
14
 84
 5,320

Letter 7

Honorable Emperor Discord,

Ponyville’s cold snap didn’t last much longer after I last wrote you. It’s actually been pretty mild lately, although there was a lot of excitement over a flock of spoons digging tiny holes all over town.

As planned, I visited the castle again this week once the way was safe. Per my previous intention, I decided to take Rainbow Dash with me and ask about her opinions on Friendship. Unfortunately, while she’s very talkative, it’s hard to get a word in edgewise or change the subject away from daredevil stunts and flying.

Upon arriving, we examined the gem tree again. I’m concerned to report that the magical field around it has grown marginally stronger, and Chaos magic now hardly works at all within the walls of the castle. I don’t want to speculate on the reasons why, but it worries me a bit. Maybe your powers could help slow the growth of the magical field somehow? Mine aren't able to effect any change on it.

Otherwise, the visit was uneventful until we tried to leave; on our way out of the castle, a pack of timber wolves noticed us and chased us back inside! Rainbow was able to avoid them by flying through the broken ceiling, but I was trapped.

I thought I was done for, but Rainbow came back with a large branch and beat the timber wolves into splinters. Not a permanent solution, but it gave us enough time to get away. I inquired why she was willing to risk herself to come back for me; she said she considers it paramount to stay loyal to her friends and not leave them behind.

We managed to make it back to Ponyville without any further issues, although I’m really tired now. That leaves Fluttershy to ask about Friendship; hopefully I can find some time with her in the next few days.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

So, it has become apparent to me that this story is a bit bigger than I anticipated, and I fear the stage it's playing on is too small. Letters and journals are interesting, but lack the immediacy and drama of prose, and the journals are quickly taking over the bulk of the story.

Because of this, I'm considering revamping the story considerably. The letters and journals would remain, but they would be integrated and/or rewritten into actual chapters with a larger perspective, wider focus. I think my preferred course of action would be starting a new story, and using this as a supplement for just the letters and journals when they show up in the main storyline.

I've written a whole other journal already, but it's grown beyond the scope I anticipated, which is what prompted this feeback request. Just curious what any passing readers think of a new direction, before I continue on this route.

Thanks everyone for the discussion! I'll be sticking to letters/journals for now, but keep on the lookout for something bigger soon.