• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 5,320 Views, 84 Comments

The Assembled Letters of Twilight Sparkle, Protégé of Emperor Discord - Caligari87



Emperor Discord sends his star pupil Twilight Sparkle to investigate a mysterious new phenomenon called "Friendship".

  • ...
14
 84
 5,320

Journal 3

I HATE BEING COLD. Miserable all day and night. I can’t even keep a fire lit because my chimney keeps sneezing from the soot. What I wouldn’t give some days for things to be consis

No, that’s my lesser instincts talking. I swore to devote my days to Chaos, and that means putting off the natural mare, base desires, creature comforts. The price of consistency is eternal slavery to mechanical conformity.

There is no Order, only Chaos.

Do not fear Suffering, for it is temporary.

Do not seek Pleasure, it will be lost.

Abandon the Past, it is dead.

Forsake the Future, it will change.

Live in the Moment. Hail Discordia.

A dedication vow varies for everyone, but this one is mine. The words are usually a comfort to me when I’m weak like this, but they bring no warmth. Right now, the only thing doing that is the blanket I got from Rarity. The flower print occasionally turns into frogs or sparrows or hairbrushes, but otherwise it’s keeping the frostbite at bay.

I went into the town hall because I could see they had managed to get a fire going, and my hooves were practically frozen solid. I spotted Rarity at the front of a line of ponies, passing out blankets of every size, shape, and color. Mr Cake already had a heavy jacket, but took one large and two smaller blankets for his wife and foals at home. A tiny white pony with a huge downy coat took one for her roommate who was too proud to ask. Dozens of others were waiting, but each took only what they needed, not a stitch more.

After I’d had a chance to warm up a little, I went over to Rarity. I could see a few samples here and there of thin, cheap fabrics, but she was passing out the very best first. When I asked why, Rarity said: “If one is going to give, then it never does to be stingy. That simply defeats the purpose of giving in the first place.” She explained that she doesn’t help just because she should, she helps because she wants to, and although it’s nice to get something back, like money or trade, it’s even better just to make sure somepony has what they need.

I stayed and helped Rarity for a few more hours. Applejack’s brother Big Macintosh helped out by bringing another load of fabric from the boutique, and I continued passing out blankets while Rarity quickly stitched more together. When there were no more shivering ponies in town hall, I went to leave, but Rarity stopped me.

I was shocked when she presented me with a large, thick comforter, stuffed with feathers from a few extra pillows. My tongue simply stopped working for a moment, and for some reason it made me want to cry. I tried to refuse, but Rarity insisted because she knew I had come from the palace with little more than a couple saddlebags, and the library was poorly furnished as is. She also told me that although we didn't know each other well yet, a true friend always helps those in need, and she wanted to be one to me.

I don’t know what she did to this comforter, but it must be enchanted. I really shouldn’t be this warm already. Getting sleepy; I’ll have to ask her tomorrow.

Twilight