• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,445 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,445

PreviousChapters Next
90 - Living the Dream

So many of you are probably wondering, when do I get to the part where I’m falling to almost certain death?

You may be anticipating the moment, but I am surely not. The incident is marred of tragedy that befell all of us, the ones I’ve met, the ones I’ve known and the ones I’ve cared for.

Is that enough suspense? I hope so.

-----

If anyone had asked me who my favourite friend on Earth was I would not hesitate to put Emilia on the top of the list. If they specified a person that had to be alive, I’d say Angel (although it has yet to be determined if she still is). Finally if that person somehow caught wind of my adventures in this strange, new world and ask me who my favourite friend would be, I’d say, I really don’t know.

Sure there were friends I got along with better like Pinkie or Pseudo or Luna but I can’t help but feel like I was in unfamiliar territory. I mean it had taken me less than three months to make these friends and it took me three years back on Earth to do the same.

Crazy, huh?

So with my rapidly growing list of friends, I felt a little overwhelmed. Who do I stick with? What do I do if they suddenly stopped liking me? What if some of my weirder aspects suddenly turned them off to our friendship?

Gnawing thoughts like that came up only occasionally, after all I did have saving the world on my mind for a while now, but every now and again when I sit there contemplating where my life is headed and what’s happening in the here and now, I think about these vaguely disturbing thoughts.

I don’t know, what’s a guy to do?

-----

Twilight was not the best conversationalist. She was smart and talkative and sometimes funny, but she not a conversationalist. While Pinkie Pie may know the exact thing to say to bring a smile to a face, Twilight would talk about subjects in great detail in an effort to break down the problem into chewable logical obstacles.

Which was nice, but it wasn’t the thing you looked for when you’re brooding about something.

Pseudo was a lot more helpful in that regard. She was always there to silently shadow me and provide me with the comfort of just being there.

I don’t know if other ponies think much about our strange relationship, I didn’t really care either way, but Pseudo was like a big comforting teddy bear for me, she’d always be there for me to hug and would only talk if I felt like it. It was having the ultimate talking pet.

Not that Pseudo was in any way like a pet to me, she’s a dear friend, it’s just that her size and shape just makes me want to pat her on the head and scratch her behind the ears. She reminds me too much of my dog.

As we made our way to the station, I found out the guards, which was composed of five quite enthusiastic looking ponies, had a familiar face among them.

“Nicodia!” I called out in greeting, giving her a wave. She turned around in surprise and broke out into a savage grin.

“Well would you look at that”, she laughed, eyeing me up and down. “You were the ambassador I volunteered to escort, Sir.”

I waggled a finger in front of her face.

“Shouldn’t you be showing some respect to your client?”

She snorted and gave me a look of mock-disdain.

“Respect must be earned, Sir”, she warbled in a scratchy high tone voice. I groaned.

“Be a dear and just roll with it, it’s a recent job advancement for me”, I pleaded, giving her a doe-eyed look.

“That won’t work on me, Sir-“ she gestured at Pseudo “-might work if she does it.”

I turned to Pseudo but she was already shaking her head.

“I never use that look for evil”, she replied simply. I gaped at her. Since when did Pseudo make jokes like that?

Nicodia cracked up, whacking me on the back in a friendly jostle.

“Ah, they grow up fast don’t they?” she confided with me.

“She’s not my kid”, I growled, as Nicodia just laughed harder.

“Well duh, she’s too good lookin’ for that”, she nudged me, giving a wink.

I rolled my eyes.

“Try to act professional, guardsmare”, I shot back and she shrugged.

“Did I mention I was a volunteer?”

I crossed my arms in disapproval as Nicodia just danced away to rejoin the other guard contingent.

“Ponies”, I muttered, moving towards Twilight.

“What was that?” she asked me, ears pricking.

“Your hearing is too good”, I said in answer, Twilight snorted, amused.

“Maybe your hearing is just worse than mine?” she replied, pulling out a book telekinetically and skimming through the contents.

“What is with you ponies and being all snarky with me today?”

Twilight shrugged and went back to reading.

I blew out an annoyed breath.

"What're you reading?"

Twilight glanced at me then turned back to the book intently.

"It's a primer on deities. The author is an excellent source but this book comes from the restricted section of the Canterlot Archives. I have to burn this book when I'm done with it."

I regarded Twilight with wide-eyes.

"Wait, you're just going to destroy the book?"

Twilight laughed.

"Oh, yes I should have mentioned that the book is actually a copy, the original is sitting right where it should be in the Canterlot Archives."

"Right. So I better let you read, then."

Twilight waved a dismissive hoof.

I walked away stopped and realised I didn't know how this whole party/expedition thing worked.

I walked back to Twilight.

“Should we get going?”

Twilight hummed to herself.

“Hmm, no, not yet, we’re still waiting on a pony.”

I gave her a quizzical look.

“What? Who are we waiting for? I thought this was the whole team?”

Twilight shook her head giving me a sneaky expression.

“Oh we have one more member and trust me, you'll like her”, she stated, with a sly grin.

I felt prickles shoot down my spine and crawl up my arms.

“Oh, somehow I think I’m not going to like this…”

A few minutes later, I was proven right.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short and late chapter. I've been snowed under a bucket load of work. If you want to know what specifically kept me from writing up the latest chapter it is Stereochemistry and Analysis of 1-phenylethylammonium hydrogenate salt Diastereomers and Subsequent Preparation of Bis-Oxalamide Diastereomers, just saying.

Next Chapter: Gigantic man eating cockroaches invade Ponyville. Residents are unfazed. They're man-eating, duh.

As always, my delectable readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next