• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 4,445 Views, 385 Comments

Synch - sunnypack



Dive into a new world with Synch, a revolutionary device that interfaces with your brainwaves. Synch is taking the world by storm. Take a vacation. Find adventure. Unfortunately for one human though, he is about to have a never-ending adventure...

  • ...
25
 385
 4,445

PreviousChapters Next
39 - Solid: Circumstantial Evidence

Solid was summoned to Luna’s Night Court, where Luna was the final arbiter of justice.

Traditionally, Celestia’s Day Court had handled everything from administration, to crime and law, economics and infrastructure, health and education and everything in between. As Luna had returned, the day government was slow to pass responsibility to the Night Court. It pained Luna, she understood the distance and the reluctance, but she weathered it like she always had. She was the silent guardian, the steadfast protector of the terrors of the night.

The sun was blinding sweeping flame of purity but the night was the swift cold fulfilment of vengeance. There were few who truly understood the night, the essence of the engagement, the beat of the cold, the stealth and danger and mystique.

To Luna, the night was not a playground for her little ponies, the night was the fearsome pride of predators, the resting calm of the evening star, the blanket of serenity and ambiance that ushered in the final resting time for most animals great and small.

It came as no surprise to Luna when her staff and her court had been passed the responsibility of crime, law and justice. Unlike her sister, who naively tended to trust her ponies too much, Luna prided herself as a good judge of character. Her judgement was quick and swift, her sentence fair and wise.

But Luna wished for so more than being the harsh judge of deeds that her court had been relegated to. She did her duty and superbly too. She just wished to be among the affairs of her ponies, out of the insurmountable barrier that surrounded her office.

Sometimes she missed the old days when she could receive fair gratification for destroying a pesky owlbear, or sending off a manticore that had drifted to far into pony residency. Now, it seemed her ponies were content with the peace and quiet of the kingdom, the only real danger lay extra-territorially and the small town of Ponyville had the most excitement, being so close to the Everfree forest.

Everything, it seemed, had grown out of their shell and matured into their present selves, Luna excluded.

Sometimes she wondered if her archaic mind and perception of justice was as out-dated as her old speech patterns.

But though right and wrong moved with the times, our values had never really changed. Luna reflected that love, compassion and the courage to do what was right were the constants of this world. Nothing had changed, really. Only faces.

So came the matter of dealing justice to the pony before her.

Complicating the matter was the fact that the pony in front of her, Solid Evidence, had a record of recalcitrant behaviour. Sending her to do community work had resulted in disaster, babysitting pets had turned into a house fire, farming had turned into a forest fire, watching paint dry had turned into a chemical fire.

This mare, Luna thought snidely. Was better at making fires than finding evidence.

When Luna had read Solid’s file she had been filled with mirth. She had read her short dossier on her special talent. It was, according to Solid, about finding evidence. Unfortunately, the evidence she sought was to support her many and myriad efforts to prove various conspiracy theories that floated around tabloids and small sensationalised books.

Her misguided efforts into finding evidence lead to many embarrassing incidents and Luna considered most of them harmless.

Luna amended her statement when she considered Solid’s most recent criminal act.

Solid Evidence had been accused of magical monitoring without permission.

Though her motivations seemed innocent enough, the crime was a serious one. Magical monitoring had become a controversial subject among magic users today. Magical potential was a private subject. It was in no way related to success or performance, particularly in the same way that the time a pony received their cutie mark was an indicator of the strength of their natural talent.

Linking magical potential with usefulness was all circumstantial and unproven. Before the ban on magical monitoring, ponies with little or small magical talent were prejudiced against and it had caused a wide rift in the pony community before Princess Celestia had intervened.

Solid had claimed she had been planning to use the magical monitors and transmitters to find a null being. This is what had piqued Luna’s interest in the case. Usually her case would be passed to the local magistrate but she had pulled out Solid, wanting a word with her. These were extenuating circumstances. They really had a null being.

Solid shuffled her hooves as she awaited judgement. She had stiffly been informed of the Night court procedure and she had hastily bowed before the Princess of the Night and stood waiting for her word after ten seconds of prostration and a short introduction of herself.

She could feel the critical gaze of Princess Luna as she raked past her hooves, took in her cutie mark, which bore three sheafs of parchment and a small sapphire, and finally settled on her face. Her piercing gaze seemed to take a measure of her soul.

“It has come to my understanding that you have been searching for a null being”, Luna stated, her mane floating regally in the ethereal wind.

Solid swallowed and nodded, feeling the compulsion to bow once again. She resisted. Barely.

“Y-yes your Majesty”, she replied shakily, she felt her tail twitch in nervousness.

Luna smiled inwardly. She seemed normal enough. Maybe she could handle the responsibility. She decided to tease the poor mare for a bit. After all, there must be just punishment.

“Solid, there has been much evidence brought forward to your involvement in crimes against Equestria’s crown and her people”, Luna intoned stonily.

“The weight of your crimes are great”, Luna continued, her expression turning sad.

Solid’s eyes had grown steadily wider and wider until they filled with panic.

“There is no choice but to banish you to the moon for a year”, she commanded gravely.

Solid opened her mouth but a scream wouldn’t come. Her eye twitched.

Luna decided that this was enough punishment for Solid’s transgression.

“Alternatively, you may assist us with the problem of the null being”, Luna smiled.

Solid had an odd expression between horror, relief and confusion.

Eventually her brain decided to quit.

Solid fainted.

“Oh dear”, Luna sighed. “I hadn't taken her for a fainter.”

Author's Note:

So many updates, so little time!

Tick tock goes the midnight clock!

Hmm to sign off for this chapter I'd like to warn that the following chapters will be released as a cycling of characters in this order:
Solid (you are here): Circumstantial Evidence
Gruff
Iron (shocking event here)
Twilight
Pinkie
Lightning
Sharp
Celestia
Luna
Angel
Emilia
and 'Me'

The order may not be 100% fixed, but I promise these will all be released featuring these characters in that order. The Mane Six will not be featured prominently as I had originally planned, mainly because there is a deep variety of characters that are interesting enough to sustain the main plot elements and the story. If I have time I might change the tags to include only Twilight and Pinkie.

The downvoters be cursed in a way that would ultimately not affect their lives!

Nope can't fault people for having an opinion. (Though my dark side tells me to sharpen a knife, just in case.)

I'll still write this fiction regardless because I love this story!

Also I'm considering just scrapping or replacing the first chapter in its entirety, pretty much adds nothing to the story.

Next Chapter: Celestia raises a mountain instead of the sun and Canterlot has to deal with being stuck on a mountain (oh wait this happened like nine hundred years ago). Luna tries to talk to a cat while Pinkie discovers I have a pinkie finger. Twilight obtains knowledge but not wisdom. The rest is history.

As always my faithful and awesome readers, thanks for reading!

PreviousChapters Next