• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,615 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,615

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Six

Several moments passed in silence, the tension thick enough to be cut with a knife.

Vinyl stared intently at her father, who returned the intense stare in kind, not wanting to back down. Octavia wasn't sure what to do; was she to say something and break the silence, risking an angry outburst from either side, or simply let it play out? The silence was so profound the sound of music playing in the distance could be heard.

After what seemed like an eternity, Rolando finally spoke up. "So good to see you again, my dear...have you been well?" He said, beginning to make his way down the stairs. He closed the distance between Vinyl and himself, and gave her a soft kiss to each cheek.

"I've been fine, Dad. Look, we've got a lot to do, so we're kind of in a hurry-"

"Nonsense! You took the trouble to come by and visit, so I insist you stay for the day," he said. He clapped his two front hooves together, and Sebastian locked the front door, standing in front of it to bar any entry or exit.

"Ugh, Dad! Just shut up for a second and LISTEN!" Vinyl said, already irritated at her father.

"That voice...could it be? Could it truly be!?" a softer, feminine voice said from the top of the stairs.

Vinyl face-hoofed. "This is EXACTLY what I was trying to avoid..." she sighed. "Yes, it's me Mom."

Suddenly, a mare still dressed in her night gown rushed down the stairs, pushed past her husband, and locked Vinyl in a bone-crushing embrace. "Oh, my dear Vincenza! How I have missed you so!" she said, her voice giving the impression she was on the verge of tears.

"Yes-Mom-It's-Good-To-See-You-TOO-CAN'T-BREATHE!" Vinyl choked, desperately trying to free herself from her mother's grasp.

"Oh, I do apologize dear...It has been too long..." her mother said, taking a step back. Octavia was taken aback by her appearance.

Marianna was a slender unicorn with a soft ivory coat, eyes as red as roses, and a mane that was royal blue. Her mother was absolutely beautiful, quite possibly the most beautiful mare Octavia had ever seen, save for the Princess.

"Come, come, Vincenza! We have much to discuss!" her mother said, grabbing her by the hoof and leading her elsewhere.

"W-WAIT-THERE'S SOMETHING I NEED TO-AAAUGH!" She groaned in frustration. Every possible thing that she was afraid of happening, was happening. This left Rolando and Octavia by themselves in the foyer.

"M-Master Rolando...if I may speak freely, I must tell you you have been an idol of mine since I was just a filly, and I cannot begin to tell you how your music has shaped my life-"

The stallion raised a hoof, a small smile playing across his face. "No need to thank me, Octavia. The violin was simply my calling in life, and I intended to make sure the world heard my music," Rolando said. He spoke softly, but his voice was still firm.

"Y-You know m-my name?" Octavia stuttered, completely in shock.

"Of course, my dear. You and your ensemble are the rising stars of the Equestrian classical music world. How could I not listen to work I inspired? What kind of role-model would I be? I must say, Octavia- your work with the cello is nothing short of magical."

Octavia felt faint. Her role model, was praising her. She felt she could die happy. To top it all off, her role-model would be the grandfather to her foal. Could life get any better?

"In fact, Octavia, I would appreciate it if you accompanied me to my studio. Follow me, if you will," he beckoned, turning towards the stairs and beginning to climb. Octavia quickly followed suit, intent on seeing what Rolando had in store for her.

The mansion felt like it went on forever. The halls wound on for what felt like miles, until they finally arrived to Rolando's private studio. He held the door open for her, following her once she had entered. The studio was small, yet very cozy. It had a small desk for writing sheet music, several cases filled with different instruments laying against a nearby wall.

"Have a seat, Octavia. I will be with you momentarily." Rolando moved towards a door on the far wall of the studio, opening it and reaching inside. Octavia took a seat in one of the two chairs next to the desk, waiting patiently. A few moments later, Rolando reappeared with what appeared to be a violin and a cello case. He laid the violin case on the desk behind him, and opened it. The Stratovarius that laid within was in excellent condition, but showing signs of obvious wear.

He then pushed the cello case over to Octavia. "Go on, open it," he instructed.

She did as she was told, and undid the latches on the sides of the case. Octavia's heart skipped a beat as the air was forcibly sucked from her lungs. The cello before her was absolutely magnificent. The maple-wood body gleamed in the morning sunlight, the steel strings vibrating at the slightest touch. It was in pristine condition.

"Wh-what am I supposed to do with this?" she asked in a slight daze.

He chuckled softly, raising his violin to his chin, taking the bow in the crook of his right forehoof.

"What else does one do with a cello, Octavia? I wish for you to play with me," Rolando said with a smile.

Octavia felt her heart stop for a brief moment. Apparently life COULD get better. She was about to have a private duet with her idol. She shifted the cello in her grip, and picked up the bow, gently moving it across the strings.

The two began to play slowly, simply running their bows across the strings in simple chords.

"Yes...I have waited for something like this..." Rolando said softly, his eyes closed as he continued to play.

The two traded phrases and chords, their bows dancing across the strings as their hooves instructed their instruments what to sing. Rolando took the lead, playing a charming melody, followed by Octavia playing a slower, slightly more melancholy melody.

The two then came upon a more melancholy phrase, giving a feel of nostalgia and sadness as they played. Octavia felt tears welling in her eyes, the passion in the piece they were playing overflowing within her. She opened an eye to look at her role-model, who was passionately running the bow back and forth across his violin, swaying back and forth in the rhythm.

The melancholy passage came to an end, as Rolando decided to test her technique and speed. He played a small flitting piece, to which Octavia responded in kind. They traded back and forth, trying to best one another. The violin and cello screamed in pleasure and pain as their users assaulted their strings, the two separate threads of notes blending together in masterful harmonic bliss, ending in a passive, major chord.

Octavia raised her bow, wiping her eyes. She couldn't help herself. Her foal-hood dream had finally come true.

"Octavia, that was absolutely magnificent. I can honestly say I feel accomplished as a role-model." Rolando said, taking a bow.

~Elsewhere~

"Oh, Vincenza dear, we must sit and talk!" Marianna said gleefully, dragging her daughter into one of the many bedrooms. "Your mane is a bit of a mess, dear. Let mother brush it for you!" She said, using her magic to bring one of the many brushes to her.

"Mom, I'm fine, you really don't need to-" Vinyl turned to face her mother, whose ruby eyes were threatening to be lost in a sea of tears.

Vinyl sighed heavily. "Fiiiine..."

Marianna squealed with glee as she raised the brush and began to attempt to straighten her daughter's mane. "So tell me, Vincenza, what brings you by? I daresay it has been years since we have last seen you. You could stand to write to us, you know. We do worry." She said softly.

Vinyl felt a bit bad. Her mother was right- she HADN'T kept in contact.

"I guess you're right about that... and as to why I'm here..." Vinyl swallowed hard, feeling a lump in her throat. This was going to go either of two ways: either her mom was absolutely ecstatic and would burst into tears, or she would be utterly devastated, and burst into tears.

"Mom, promise me that no matter what I'm about to tell you, you're going to continue to accept me." Vinyl warned.

"Of course dearest, tell me what you have to say." Marianna said.

Vinyl took a deep breath. "I'm going to be a mom. You're gonna be a grandma." She then turned to face her mother, hoping her reaction would be a good one.

Marianna's eyes widened to the size of saucers. As expected, Marianna burst into tears, wrapping her forelegs around her daughter's neck. "OH CELESTIA! Vincenza, you could not have given me better news!" She sobbed. Vinyl sighed, patting her mother on the back. After some time passed, Marianna calmed down.

"When are you due, dear? Oh, we need to begin preparations! Do you have any idea on the gender?" She asked, barraging Vinyl with questions.

"Mom, Mom, hold on...I'M not the one giving birth." Vinyl said, illiciting a confused expression from her mother.

"I-I don't understand..." Marianna stammered.

Vinyl sighed for what seemed to be the umpteenth time. "I'm not the one who's pregnant. Remember the mare I walked in with? You know, the cute one with the black mane and the pink bowtie?Has a treble clef for a cutie-mark?"

"Oh yes, of course." Her mother said. "I still do not understand, though."

"Mom, she's my marefriend. She's the one giving birth." Vinyl facehoofed.

It just didn't make sense to her. "B-But you are a mare...and she is a mare...how is that possible?" She furrowed her brow, desperately trying to understand.

Vinyl blushed. "...It somehow involved my horn."

Marianna turned a deep shade of rouge. "Oh my...well...I am still thoroughly excited for you, dear. We must set up arrangements for a foaling shower!" She said, her voice cheery and upbeat.

"Mom, aren't you shocked at ALL that I'm with a mare, much less having a foal with her?" Vinyl said, unable to comprehend how her mother was so accepting of it all.

"Oh, dearest, all I want is for you to be happy. If that means you being with a mare, then who am I to judge? All a parent wants from their child is for them to be safe, healthy, and happy." She said softly.

"Thanks, Mom." Vinyl said, returning the embrace.

"No need to thank me, dear...I am simply doing my job as your mother." Marianna replied, hugging her daughter tightly.

Vinyl then sighed again, dejected. "I just hope Dad is as accepting..."

Marianna nodded in agreement. "Your father is not exactly the most...flexible of ponies. I daresay he will not take it well...if you want, I will tell him for you. The last thing I want is to see you and your father fighting again..."

"No Mom, it has to be me. I have to stand up to him. I've gotta be the one to tell him to back off and accept it." She said, her voice resolute.

"If that is what you want, then I will gladly step aside. Just know that I will ALWAYS love you, Vincenza. I am your mother, and you can do no wrong by me."

"Thanks Mom...I needed to hear that." Vinyl said, giving her mother a kiss on the cheek.

"I know! You two are staying for dinner. Whatever plans you had for the rest of the day, are now cancelled." Her mother giggled.

Vinyl sighed. "I guess if I have to." She then chuckled, hugging her mother again.

~Dinner~

Vinyl met up with Octavia in the grand dining hall. "Hey Octy...uh, you alright?"

Octavia's expression could not be described in any other way as dreamy. Her eyes were glassed over and she was grinning from ear to ear.

"Uh, Octy. Equestria to Octy, come in. You're kinda creeping me out."

Octavia blinked a few times and snapped herself out of it. "Oh, sorry Vinyl. I feel like I have been walking on air for the last several hours. Your father and I have been practicing together...I was finally able to make my dream a reality, all thanks to you." Octavia quickly leaned over and gave Vinyl a pop-kiss, winking as she walked towards the table. Vinyl felt her knees go weak from the shock.

"Y-Yeah...n-no problem..." She mumbled.

Rolando and Marianna took their seats on one side of the massive table, Octavia and Vinyl sitting across from them. Sebastian delivered their meals, placing the large platters before them.

"Freshwater lilypads roasted and baked with fresh garlic, chives and scallions served on a bed of angel-hair pasta with a light rosemary sauce. Bon Appetit." Sebastian said, bowing away.

Vinyl hungrily dug into her plate. "Whoo, Sebs has still got it!" She said, chowing down. Octavia was absolutely mortified.

Marianna simply giggled, Rolando remaining stoic. He then spoke. "So Vincenza...you said you had something to say to me?" He raised his fork and ate a slight bit, wiping his mouth a moment later.

Vinyl coughed slightly. It was now or never.

"Dad...you're gonna be a grandpa." She then reached over and took Octavia's hoof in her own. "Octavia and I are having a foal." She then braced for impact.

Rolando dropped his fork, in complete and utter shock. A moment later, his face flushed a shade of crimson, flames of anger roiling to the surface.

"How...how DARE YOU!?" He roared, slamming his hooves on the table. "Dear..." Marianna started, but immediately retreated when he continued. "HOW DARE YOU SULLY THE NAME I HAVE STRIVED SO HARD TO BUILD!? Not ONLY do you get yourself PREGNANT, you get yourself pregnant with a mare, AND OUT OF WEDLOCK NO LESS!" He screamed.

"I have had ENOUGH of you deliberately tarnishing our name! You have been an ungrateful brat since the day you were born, and now you not only ruin you OWN life, but OCTAVIA'S as well!? You FOALISH little filly, YOU HAVE RUINED US!"

"ENOUGH!" Octavia shrieked. The remaining three turned and faced Octavia, who was shaking with anger. Tears were visibly streaming down her face.

"Octy, no! I can handle him hating me! I couldn't handle it if-"

"I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS!" Octavia yelled, slamming her own hooves on the table. ""I could not care LESS if you WERE my role-model, you could be THE PRINCESS HERSELF, AND I STILL WOULD NOT CARE!"

"Nopony, and I mean NOPONY, will ruin the two GREATEST THINGS to happen to me in my life! You will NOT speak so horribly about your daughter, whom I LOVE with ALL MY HEART, and you will NOT SPEAK ILL OF THE FOAL SHE HAS BLESSED ME WITH!"

Octavia rose from the table, and hurried off without another word, her sobs echoing off the walls.

PreviousChapters Next